Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Signed up for a BMW autocross instruction day at the beginning of March! Very psyched for it, my first autocross experience! I convinced my brother to sign up as well, he'll be bringing his new TDI Jetta Sportwagon, which should be funny to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Hey all, attending my first actual autocross tomorrow (attended a novice autox class earlier this year) and was wondering if my tires will be an issue:

No chunking, just worn down. That's fine, right?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
No, definitely not my street tires. Thanks!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Is anyone else doing some autocross in the winter? North TX has a Winter event that should be fun. Course is run in reverse in the afternoon. I'm really looking forward to doing a whole season this year; hoping that consistent attendance will boost my mediocre times.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I did my first SCCA event last Sunday and was hugely disappointed by how little course time you get. For less money, the local S2000 club has events that get you 8 runs (4 in the morning, 4 after lunch), friendlier people, and corner workers who know what they're doing. I guess if you wanna be a national level competitor, SCCA is the way to go, but I go for fun, not dick-waving rights.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I hope I'm not the only goon chasing cones and drifting corners today. It's gonna be a great year.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
My last run of yesterday morning I decided to make into an homage to Initial D, and no one raised an eyebrow. It really is dependent on your club.

ProSolo looks awesome, I hope to do one this summer.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

shoophobo posted:

Any tips besides emptying my car of all my crap and the other stuff that was in the OP?

Disable any driving assists you can (traction control, ABS if possible), tighten your seatbelt as much as possible, and look at your next turn, not the one you are at. Practicing shuffle steering also helps. Most of all, have fun. It helps to have a good attitude when your instructor hits a cone and knocks your skirt off and drags it along the asphalt for a minute.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Do you pay per event, or just an overall policy for year-round?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

FatCow posted:

This is terrible advice, double terrible to a novice.

I was just repeating the advice given to me as a novice 2 years ago. Learning to threshold brake instead of relying on the ABS worked well for me, so YMMV.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
As I understand it, the threshold that you brake on can be either the moment ABS kicks in, or the moment the tires lose grip. I understood the ABS would kick on before the tires lost grip, so if you can brake harder than the ABS without locking the wheels, you will brake harder and be faster.
That said, I am still very much an amateur and the traction control and ABS are linked in my MX5, thus my advice. Please correct me where I'm wrong.

e: ^^^ cool, sounds like I'm not a complete dummy.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Chriskory posted:

look ahead

Just got back from the 3rd autox of the S2000 club's series and this advice, more than anything helped. Huge difference between smooth runs where I looked far ahead, and choppy, sliding runs that were glacial. Controlled throttle application was another help. Still not fast, but I'm getting there.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
I'm using HPS pads and wanna echo complaints about weak bite in. They brake fine, but the lack of initial bite does not inspire confidence. Going back to OEM after these are done.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

Race or trash?

GOD IS BED fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 16, 2015

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Sorry guys, phoneposting. Couldn't tell how big it would turn out.

I am definitely lowering the tire pressure, just wondered if they would survive another autox.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Ordering new shoes tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Ok, so checking reviews on Tirerack and I think I've got 3 main contenders: Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Hankook Ventus R-S3, and Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs. Any advice from goons on these? Car is a 2011 Mazda Miata.

• Locked thread