Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

nm posted:

I'm also pretty shocked how little I am saving with a car with 15in wheels. Only $20 more for 225/45/17s v. 195/50/15s. Autocross tires ain't cheap.

Its pretty nuts. You can't even get 14s anymore and at 15s I'm pretty much on the limit of no power steering being acceptable.

May as well start asking as well, whats the go to small FWD 15 inch tire? In canada so we don't see alot of extreme heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

nm posted:

Thats what I was asking! Seems like the RS3, version 2. (Build date of 2014 or later, older RS3s had a different compound)

Will have to go with that then. There's an old guy at our club that is a diehard dunlop fan and always ranting about how RS3s don't provide enough feedback at the limit, but he's the same guy who recently asked for advice about sizing his front sway bar so my stock in his opinion has diminished.

Going to have to wear out my RE11As first.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Don't have a lot of faith in bridgestone. Wasn't that impressed with the RE-11As and now a year later we have a completely new tire...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Does anybody know what class a spec miata goes into?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

FatCow posted:

DSP. You can run any tire you want on a SM legal wheel.

yeah, I was just curious about PAX. pretty sure a guy in our club is going to run Toyo street tires a Canadian Nationals this year to win some Toyo money or something since nobody else is going to actually run them. Thought if he was in Dmod or something I might be able to swing beating him on PAX, but if its DSP I don't stand a chance of beating him.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

TrueChaos posted:

Interesting, though it doesn't look like it's going to matter to me as the RE71R doesn't seem to be available in 225/45/15.

Same boat tire rack doesn't list them in 195/50/15. But if you go to Bridgestone's Japanese site they've got that size listed, so I may inquire with my tire guy once my current ones are toast.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Chriskory posted:

Get the 205/50/15?

Won't fit on a scirocco without changing the offset a radical amount (already stuck at 0 camber right now to avoid rubbing on 195s) and really don't feel like buying another set of rims for the second year in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Chriskory posted:

Oh, I don't think you'd have much luck with those tires and 0 camber anyway.

Yeah. I mean I think the camber thing is down to my lovely coilovers and this little band of rubber sticking out on RE11As getting caught on the threading of said coilovers. I've got new suspension on the way that I'm hoping I can get at least 2 degrees of camber back but there's no way in hell 205s are getting on there without doing something radical, and trying to sort through the handling setup of the car isn't high on my priority list right now.

• Locked thread