Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Don't tape your plates. It makes you look like the biggest tool ever.

First event of the season is next Sunday. My tires are unmounted, my head is at the machinist and my block is sitting on an engine stand. Also car isn't registered anymore and I don't have a trailer for it yet.

Here is me and my Miata going around some cones poorly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grAmurxE-4Q&fmt=22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0FGWdfzJyY&fmt=22

FatCow fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Our club is pretty lax about mods. As long as you aren't blatantly cheating people don't really care. There are some people that are serious about stock class but it's pretty easy to keep your car in stock if you want it to be in stock. Out of 6-7 CSP cars I think only one or two are actually CSP legal. Almost all the cars have depowered racks or airbags removed without swapping the whole dash, engine swap without the wiring harness swap, etc. Then again we're not a SCCA club which I think has a lot to do with it. (We use SCCA classing/most of their rules though) I don't think anyone's ever been protested since I've started doing it. The closest we've gone is letting novices know that their turbo'd cars don't qualify for H-stock anymore.

If you're in autocross solely for the driving you'll get tired of it quickly due to the short seat time. It's also largely a social event, there is lots of time to hang around and talk to other car people about cars.

We tend to have a lot of fast courses, the ones I linked weren't even our fastest of the season. There were a few 3rd gear in a CSP Miata courses (with r-comps which I didn't have last year). However, our sites are unused airports so you have to really *really* gently caress up to hit something hard.

This year we only had one incident, a s2k broke a sway bar link in the middle of a slalom, or tore the mount off the control arm and went into some brush.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
All of these wreck videos seem to be from badly designed courses. You shouldn't be able to hit stuff at a properly designed autocross course.

The Sentra that rolled locally had under-inflated tires. There was a good sized chunk of asphalt missing where his rim carved it out.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

whiskas posted:

There's a member in my club who is super competitive. He has been keeping spreadsheets of all his costs over the last few years and determined that each run at an autocross costs him $20 in wear and tear + parts alone. You may as well picture him pulling up to the starting grid for each run and throwing a $20 bill out the window.

This is assuming:

Hoosier A6's
Launching like a bat out of hell (frequent clutch and diff replacements)
Fuel costs
Driving like his life depends on it

So if you plan on reaching national levels of competition, it isn't cheap.

If he's running A6s and only burning $20 a run he's doing pretty good. I'm expecting about $12 a run in tires alone on v710s.

My car is a depowered power steering rack, about as bad as it can get unless you just pull the power steering belt from the car and leave everything on. If steering is that hard you might need to drop your caster a degree or so. National level autocross in light weight car classes indicates that manual steering is faster because of the weight savings. Specifically for the Miata they take a steering ratio hit as well.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 15, 2011

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Ziploc posted:

What, no powersliding MR2/Maxima photos?

STOP NINJA EDITING DAMMIT.

Anyway I addressed the point that the manual rack is a shittier ratio, doesn't matter feel/weight is supreme.

Also, I autocrossed in a non-turbo Subaru Forester. All of your car excuses are completely void. I also looped it twice, I thought I was going to die both times.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 15, 2011

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

whiskas posted:

The problem I find with full face helmets is that you have an extra few inches of helmet hanging off the front of your face. So if you turn your head to look out your driver side window (something that you should be doing if you look ahead as you drive), then your helmet smacks into the window

Why is your window up?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

deratomicdog posted:

Sup thscc buddy. THat was totally awful. I was in the fourth run group and didn't get home until 8 that night.

Sup 4th run group THSCC buddy. Black CSP Miata here.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Haha, look at the rear tire.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
If you're just getting started you are going to want a camera that watches what your hands are doing. Knowing what you did to cause something that happened is more valuable than just seeing the road in front of you.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Novice, get instructors to help you.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

King-Kong posted:

Someone please teach me how to launch a '95 Miata.

Rev to 3500, dump clutch and floor it at the same time. That should be about good for sticky street tires on average pavement.

Here is my weekend's fun. Best raw time run ruined by a cone at the end. Somehow the word optional got paired with the phrase "chicago box."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgRDgyakHyY&hd=1

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
You'll be fine as long as you dump the clutch, don't ride it. Riding it is what is really bad for your clutch. In reality a 4k dump the clutch and go launch is much harder on your diff and trans than your clutch.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I can't wait till NCCAR finishes their facility.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...005504&t=h&z=18

That block of asphalt is going to be 670'x670' when finished. The current "height" (N/S dimension) is 670' currently to give you an idea of how massive it will be. There is a pickup truck on the track for a sense of scale. (All our current sites are airports so this is pretty exciting to us)

9 acres of asphalt with no lightposts, drains, dips/rises. It's going to be awesome.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 18, 2011

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
None of our sites have to close an active runway to let us run. One site is a completely inactive former airport that is now a training facility for the county emergency services. The other two are closed runways that we can run far away enough from the active airport to not impact their operations. Separate entrances and everything, they have their buffer zones coned off with a "cross this line, lose your site arrangement."

I don't think anything changed in the rules regarding non-avation use. I'd guess that your airport didn't get their paperwork in on time or there was no benefit to them to have you guys there. The airport cannot allow use of their facilities unless it benefits them in some tangible (monetary) way. Closing the only active runway at an airport is also a no go since it take an emergency landing site out of the airport system.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Don't forget to bolt on your massive wing.

Locally *SP is pretty much a ST with r-comp class with the exception of a very few cars that are run at nationals.

I still think SCCA autocross has it all wrong with the tires. Stock should be stock, keep the current allowances except add TW 140. All modified classes should allow r-comps.

I think it's insane that the lowest prep level still requires you to drop a grand a year on tires if you want to be competitive. That's if you're lucky since you can't do anything to the car to make it easier on tires and your car isn't one of the ones that tears itself apart by using a sway bar as a spring compensator. The only good part about this is that Hoosiser is pretty clearly #1 r-comp which gets people out of the tire games that ST has to play.

Then you go to the next class where you could fix a lot of the tire wear issues but you're limited to street tires making quite a few cars not significantly faster, or slower in some cases, after spending a ton of money on suspension. I don't even know if there is a FS car that is faster in STU/X than it would be in FS. Maybe one of the odd BMWs that end up there?

Then you're in SM/*SP/spend infinity dollars on engine work and UD/BD to be a true SM/*SP car vs a ST car with r-comps.

Nothing that hasn't been said before but it'll never happen since it will completely turn everything upside down and likely piss off just about everyone in stock/ST.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
There is usually an annual dent day. I can shoot you a note when it comes up or send you his info. I have his card around here somewhere.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
The Miata was designed to ride the bumpstops when cornering hard. That was how Mazda got it to handle well in turns but still have a tolerable ride around town.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I know you're convinced you need more power. But, before you do go find an instructor with a 1990-1993 spec Miata. After you pass a bunch of expensive poo poo in a car that has <100hp at the wheels you'll realize it's all in the driving.

Before you spend any money on your brakes what pads were you using? A good quality track only pad is a night and day difference compared to a street or street/autocross pad. Cheap as poo poo rotors are usually what you want.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Poked around to see what the ALK actually entails. No way is that *SP legal.

15.8.H.2 lets you modify the lower arms but 15.8.H.4 stipulates original attachment points. If you want to take the 15.8.C allowance claiming they are offset bushings you get killed by the fact there is more metal than OEM.

If it is just the caster bump that fixes the lifting issues you're free to put a camber plate in the car and dial it for max caster while staying in *SP. No idea what that looks like on a WRX though.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I believe hybrids are blanket banned by SCCA. Might want to double check that.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Looks like it isn't in this years rule book. I could have sworn I saw it last year though. If it was there I would imagine the issue being with the HV electrical system not general courseworthyness.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 27, 2011

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Got my autocross on this weekend. Beat Phone so that's all that matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6FR2kaR4s&hd=1

Where did you mount that camera to get the foot cam? I've been debating picking up one of those little keyfob cameras to stick down there.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I'm guessing you're somewhere in the Triad area since TSCC had their event yesterday. There is also an event in Danville, VA on the 23rd with THSCC. I should be there if I don't blow my car up this weekend and someone else from this thread will be helping to design the course.

http://thscc.com/autocross/events/event_info.php?id=92

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Put on R-comps and run CSP.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Finished out our points season yesterday. Best run is below. It was so cold in the morning I couldn't get any heat in the tires. Still ended up 20th/85 raw time which isn't great for a CSP car but I expected much worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZWays03_Q&hd=1

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Had our first event last weekend. Lost by about a second to the other CSP car but still did fairly well. 19/104 raw, 30/104 PAX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C_8tUB_ork&hd=1

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
That anti lift kit changes suspension mount points. It's going to be in modified or prepared.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 6, 2012

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I got wet. No idea how I did because I didn't even stay for trophies. Apparently I wasn't the only one though since they didn't do them at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km7hq7-1T5A&hd=1

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
The real answer was "We didn't get the MPG numbers we wanted so we threw on rock hard tires to squeak out that last 1-2 MPG."

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
It also sounds like you do a ton of coasting.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Our club just makes the exit straightish or low speed and trusts that people who "race" their cars will be responsible. Don't think we've ever had an issue other than the occasional punting of the laser reflector. If the paddock/grid is near the exit then there will usually be a double row of cones offset to make a very sharp turn forcing people to slow down.

Stop boxes boggle my mind.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Rabble posted:

I thought Autocross was about driving your car around a bunch of traffic cones in a parking lot and looking down on other people because your car is more expensive/modified/faster/lighter/older/newer.

It's also about having more sections of the rulebook memorized.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Phone posted:

Sorry, I'm in the Green run group so I only have the traction plus. I'm upgrading to the traction diamond next week.

In blue group they start talking about the traction hypercube.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I did a thing this weekend. Was good enough for a class win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opscFLbxirY&hd=1

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
If you want something easy to use the free version of RaceRender is pretty decent and the time limit isn't an issue for autocross runs.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Biggest downside for a S2k for a track car is that it's fairly intrusive to put a proper 4 point roll bar in them. For an autocross car though they seem pretty fun, in the last year or so they have pretty much taken over in our club.

Here was my best run during this weekend's event. I might throw up my first run as well. This was a new site and the sealed asphalt had considerably less grip than I expected. Made for some fun times on my first tun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNmJMVql6j4&hd=1

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Is anyone here going to NCAC by any chance?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Man you shift a lot. Next time do one of your runs without all the drops to 1st. I think you'd be surprised. In the 1st gear shift that goes from :37 - :50 you mat it for about 2.5s that entire time and hit some rev limiter in there. An upshift costs you about .2s. It's really surprising how often you should downshift even in a low power Miata. I'll admit though that the camera angle does make it fairly hard to see how tight the turns are.

Speaking of getting close to cones. I got a good pic from one of the photographers at the last event. Only hit one cone that day and it wasn't that one. Was driving a buddies 155whp SSM car, man that was fun.

click for mega

FatCow fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Also; NT-01s, RA1s, R888s, Hoosier Wets. There are a lot of treaded R-comp tires.

Brigdh posted:

I just read it. It makes sense to me, and I think its a good move that was clearly coming (RT was advertised as an experiment about shaking up Stock). However, I think its going to get a lot of resistance from people currently running stock (I'm already hearing that a set of tires and shocks isn't that expensive), and apparently no one on the SAC knew about this, the SEB kinda did it on their own.

We'll see what actually happens...

LP *SP is there for the people currently running stock and want to stay on r-comps. They get to add another sway bar and some camber plates.

Beach Bum, you're ignoring the fact that these rules were created int he 70s. The tire landscape then was no where near what it is like now and sure as hell didn't have manufacturer support for making 'competition grade' street tires for AX and Time Attack.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 21, 2013

• Locked thread