Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

FatCow posted:

Our club is pretty lax about mods. As long as you aren't blatantly cheating people don't really care. There are some people that are serious about stock class but it's pretty easy to keep your car in stock if you want it to be in stock. Out of 6-7 CSP cars I think only one or two are actually CSP legal. Almost all the cars have depowered racks or airbags removed without swapping the whole dash, engine swap without the wiring harness swap, etc. Then again we're not a SCCA club which I think has a lot to do with it. (We use SCCA classing/most of their rules though) I don't think anyone's ever been protested since I've started doing it. The closest we've gone is letting novices know that their turbo'd cars don't qualify for H-stock anymore.

If you're in autocross solely for the driving you'll get tired of it quickly due to the short seat time. It's also largely a social event, there is lots of time to hang around and talk to other car people about cars.

We tend to have a lot of fast courses, the ones I linked weren't even our fastest of the season. There were a few 3rd gear in a CSP Miata courses (with r-comps which I didn't have last year). However, our sites are unused airports so you have to really *really* gently caress up to hit something hard.

This year we only had one incident, a s2k broke a sway bar link in the middle of a slalom, or tore the mount off the control arm and went into some brush.

Same in Cleveland.. Everyone is pretty cool, even the guys that bring R-comps and race for serious. I agree the seat time is nothing compared to a track day.. but:

-it's safe compared to a track, I like to use my turboed street car that I would never risk on a track (primarily because it's a convertible without a roll bar, but I really can't afford to roll it)
-I can drag someone new out and they can race 1st event. Low pressure, low risk, it's a thrill.
-Good practice for real racing.

Our track car is just barely street legal, has no passenger seat, and currently we don't have a trailer for it yet so we're kinda boned if it blows up on the track. That investment plus the higher cost of track+fuel makes it a much higher commitment for all involved. Auto-x is just plain easier to deal with for most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread