Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some of the rules to get pushed into SM are a little stupid; camber plates are apparently allowed in STX but an anti-lift kit/control arm relocation kit will get you in SM. I've got a pair of bolts that slot into factory holes on the car as well that also shove me into SM. If I were more into competition than just getting more seat time, I'd probably have to remove these.

Two bolts? Where do these go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

leica posted:

Run a tight parking lot auto x course with manual steering and see how well you do. If you want to be competitive at all it's loving pointless. If you don't mind being slower than molasses then I guess it's ok.

A big issue here is that some manual racks have a HUGE lock-to-lock number (I think my BG 323 was 4 turns lock-to-lock) to make up for the lack of p/s.

It made a tight slalom a TON of steering work.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Ziploc posted:

What, no powersliding MR2/Maxima photos?

Oh you...

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Raluek posted:

Main reason I'm not too interested in doing this (and I defy all the people saying that any daily driver makes a great auto-x) is that 60-69 is the top of fourth for me...

....in my car, which is a.... ?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

FatCow posted:

I know you're convinced you need more power. But, before you do go find an instructor with a 1990-1993 spec Miata. After you pass a bunch of expensive poo poo in a car that has <100hp at the wheels you'll realize it's all in the driving.

Before you spend any money on your brakes what pads were you using? A good quality track only pad is a night and day difference compared to a street or street/autocross pad. Cheap as poo poo rotors are usually what you want.
A 1990 Miata is a sports car with handling in mind.
A TDI is a commuter car with fuel economy in mind.

A stock Miata is worlds away from his TDI stock for stock. At least the Miata's B6 doesn't cringe in fear every time you approach redline. I could see why he would want some more top end if he's doing track days.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

chem42 posted:

Just woke up at 5:30am on a Sunday to stand in 100 degree heat all day for 5 minutes of driving action :thumbsup:

No fun runs at the end? I'm usually well past 8minutes of seat time then. :smuggo:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Rythe posted:

and finally got to see other (all though very few) RX-7 owners.

You can't expect them to work all the time.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Nodoze posted:

This is gonna sound dumb but whenever I watch autocross vids I have no clue where the driving path is. I kinda want to try it this summer but I'm fairly sure I'd end up not following the path

The vids suck for seeing the track. Most clubs let you walk the course first (or is that just locally?).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

shane86 posted:

as a club that used to struggle with this occasionally, it may not be a design problem but a resource issue.. i know a poo poo ton of cones looks like, well, a poo poo ton of cones but there is a finite amount and when you need to setup a course, grid, and have extras for the inevitable car drove off with one at each corner, there may not be enough left over for the wall and pointer cones.

and it's not just budget.. but transport. unless your local club has a good sized truck or trailer setup, carrying a poo poo ton of cones is tricky.

Our club used to rent a storage locker that was only about a 5minute drive from the "race track" (parking lot). Two loads in the back of a pickup truck and all the cones were delivered.

It worked out cheaper than the club owning their own trailer and having to tow that heavy bitch everywhere (cones weigh a tonne).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Brigdh posted:

Just remember to say I'm sorry a lot and acknowledge that everything is your fault (even though none of it is) :)

Who's getting married? :rimshot:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
How thrashed are the bushings? They can be cheap but labour intensive.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Ziploc posted:

Great! Rematch time!

Maybe I can squeek the Miata out for one event. It's a hell of a drive though. :sweatdrop:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
So if I was to enter my wagon, where would I be looking in terms of classing?

2002 Impreza wagon, non-turbo
Stock engine and tranny.

Suspension:
Koni Sport Adjustable
Whiteline Anti-Lift kit
Whiteline suspension bushings
Whiteline Com-C strut mounts (castor and camber added)
Aftermarket sway bars and links (front and rear)
Stock STi springs

Other:
4piston front WRX brakes
2piston rear WRX brakes

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

So, southern ontario goons - first PITL autox next Saturday, who's coming?

I'm also definitely going to be there on the 26th -

http://www.wiredmotorsports.com/pitl/

I think I might be able to go, but don't really have tires to burn. :smith:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

Are the ones on the miata almost dead, or just not good for auto-x? 'Cause if the answer is just not good for auto-x, come out anyway, just means you'll slide around a bit more than the rest of us.

The rear ones were already cooked before this season.

I could check the garage to see if my old 16" wheels have some decent rubber on them.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Update: I've been given the go ahead by the wife, so Ontario-AI goon meet?

Then we can all brag how we've beaten the poo poo out of an "exclusive" car in the Toyobaru thread. :smugbert:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Is it a Subaru? If so, pull the ABS fuse.

When you engage ABS, it will shift the car into 4th gear.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

The answer is always yes.

The wife's Mazda5?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Brigdh posted:

Just don't tell the wife

I think it *just* squeaks in under the minimum SSF(static stability factor) for SCCA with 1.30.

If it didn't see winter driving, it'd be down in the weeds on Mazda3 suspension.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Autocross the engineless shell of the 323 with someone pushing if you have to. Answer is always yes.

I have the rear floor pan cut out, so I could get two people back there to run while under the hatch. Probably be lumped in a mod class since I've got two power sources.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I've got a full set of 205/40/17 Falken 512s to burn up on Saturday. They may not be the best rubber, but it means I don't have to feel bad if I get a bit sideways on them.

Still reasonably worried about those curbs and poles :ohdear:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Who says you don't get seat time? I'm about to get 3hrs of seat time just to get to this Scion FR-S day. :3:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Bah, you should have seen the poo poo I gave the FR-S tranny. :b:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I would also like to say I even set the record that day for most style involved in beating your run.

Ziploc has the video of my drift run being faster than your normal racing.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

Yeah, yeah. drifterboy.

"Chris J" and "Val D" certainly beat a lot of other Miatas. :colbert:

To be fair though, I doubt many left their house this early for AutoX.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

I don't think I've seen someone ebrake turn a miata while slamming it into first like that before.

I slowed before the turns, rev matched into first, slipped on the ebrake for a second, then slide the rear end end out with first. (but still ground the gears)

Had this been a more open (second gear) course, I don't think the car would have had the power to slide into overdriftlike that.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 27, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

On the fast run? You ground first twice that I heard. I was marshaling and as you went around the light post all I could hear was the grinding, then it caught and you were away. Then a bit later I heard gears again, and you were the closest car.

Not that that's important, because you beat me regardless of grinding or style or technique... What you did was faster.

Based on the FTD list you posted sock and I were both faster than 3/4 people in A-mod. :lol: :smugbert:

drat. Oh well, I don't do the whole "no holds barred" style stuff at all, so it's not going to come up again. Eek :blush:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

I'm waiting for Ziploc to upload my "Ken Gushi" clip from Saturday. :3:

Mind you, I was trying to drive like an rear end.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Sockington posted:

I'm waiting for Ziploc to upload my "Ken Gushi" clip from Saturday. :3:

Mind you, I was trying to drive like an rear end.

Ziploc uploaded the raw video, but still needs to tag it/etc.

Still, was a fun day (this was the "fastest" run of the day :v:)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The video I posted earlier was on Falken 512s. I found them fairly loose on the Miata.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Sometimes it's worth it buying local when you are talking about:
+ $135 shipping
+ ~$60 mount and balance
+ tax

And then you have a warranty locally for issues.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Rabble posted:

Mustang owners of America UNITE!

Going to my first Autocross this weekend so I thought I should come up with a clever slogan to put on the side of my car. I also wonder how the stock tires will hold up to the stress...

Pressure the poo poo out of them and prepare for a howling good time. Also, expect a bit of understeer on initial turn in as most stock street tires aren't ready for the kind of maneuvers you'll be doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Ziploc posted:

Your car seems quite a bit oversteer-y. Isn't it destracting? There were moments where the slide was definitely not helping either of you.

Remember when I beat a bunch of other Miatas and Mazdaspeeds with this run :allears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LS1dahcPVY

• Locked thread