Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Any seattle goons going to the slush run autocross on sunday? I'm going to see how my impreza fairs in ST1 HS index with my lovely tires. Should also be interesting to see how my friends do in SS with an Elise.

Event info:
http://www.wwscc.org/evinfo/2011/slush2.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I got 4th in ST1 with my Impreza yesterday, missed 3rd by a couple tenths on my index time. I was surprised on how I did considering how worn out everything (200k miles) is and how crappy my tires are.

My friend got video of my last and fastest run. The exhaust whistles which is pretty funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3-NMPre374

My friend John got 2nd in SS with his Elise running slicks. My friend Dan is dual driving with him this season and didn't do that well in the AM session. During the PM session however he would have gotten the fastest time of the day if he hadn't hit a cone.

Also speaking of weird cars that autocross, there was a Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Quad 442. That thing had a lot of work into it. It won ST2 with a DSP index.

There was also a CRZ that was pretty drat quick. He was 4 seconds behind the fastest time and 4 seconds ahead of me. He said the biggest problem is the battery for the electric motor. If he had a passenger it would cut out at the half way point but if he didn't he could get 3/4 of the way through with out it dying. Overall I was pretty impressed with it. They also look much better in person.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
It was raw time. The fastest of the day was a 44.8xx with a Cayman S. The CRZ got 48.8xx. I got a 53.6xx.

I don't think the battery for the CRZ is that big since it seemed to charge pretty fast between runs. I know the battery in the old Insight is pretty small.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

kimbo305 posted:

drat, must be a tricky course. Every autocross I've been to, the course is straight enough that power is the biggest factor.

Yeah it was fairly tricky. There are always the two turn arounds since we run on an old runway. There was a slalom with an offset cone, a C box, then a long optional slalom. There were a couple "fast" sections thrown in there too. It was a really good course to prepare for the new season, since the slush runs are basically a couple practice events with scoring..

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

deratomicdog posted:

What do ya'll think would be better? Smaller, lightweight wheels with a higher sidewall, or larger wheels with a small sidewall? I'd really like to get some dedicated wheels/tires as my next upgrade.

It depends if you're going to be running in stock or not. Stock forces you to keep the same wheel dimensions your car came with. Unfortunately my car only came with 15's and a somewhat odd tire size so every tire that doesn't suck is too short.

I think I'm going to get a set of these in the 225/50r15 size and squeeze them onto my wheels. They'll be .3" shorter than stock, better than over an inch shorter.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
What other seattle area goons autocross here? What clubs are you with? I used to run with BSCC a lot but now I've been running with WWSCC mostly because they run in shelton which is closer than bremerton.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I took 3rd in ST1 today after the girl that was in 2nd got DSQed for spinning out after the timing lights and getting fairly close to the timing van. No idea how she did that. It moved my up from 4th though so that was pretty nice.

It was pouring rain and there was a ton of standing water so it was tough going. I was just understeering everywhere but I was getting the hang of it. This was the first really wet autocross I've done in the Impreza and I only spun out once.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Anyone know if stainless braided brake lines are legal in stock? I couldn't find anything online or anything clear in the rulebook.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

The Locator posted:

Novice, until they won't let you be in novice anymore!

This is always what I tell my friends that are new or trying it out, especially if their car is modded. One of my friends won novice a few weeks ago in his turbo civic, but when he is out of novice he'll be in some ridiculous prepared class.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
The only one I would be worried about is that miata. My friend was way faster than a C6 corvette with his 165hp 86 MR2 in novice.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I went to my first Packwood even yesterday and did horribly. I got 5th out of 6 in ST1. It turns out that I didn't air up my tires enough and was rolling over a lot so it cost me a lot of time. Packwood is an awesome site though. most of the runs were in the 60's-70's fastest that I heard was a 58. There was also a guy with a Formula Ford out there that was just awesome to watch and it sounded amazing. Unfortunately I didn't get and pics of it while it was running.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I went autocrossing sunday in my Impreza. I did terrible. I got 8th out of 9 in ST1. In the PM session I let me friend and his girl friend drive the Impreza since it was her first event. In return, he paid for my PM entry and I got to drive his Lotus Elise on racing slicks. That car is amazing and so fast. I got a 57second run with one cone so my scratch time was 3 seconds behind the fastest time of day. This was my first time driving that car so I did really well, especially since I was only a second off my friends time in his own car. He did beat my time in my car by over a second too though.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Anyone know what clubs run in San Diego? I'm most likely going down there in the first week of august to pick up an AE86 from my brother's friend. So I figured that I'd see if there were any events while I was down there.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

The Locator posted:

The events there are spread among several clubs, but they keep a coordinated calendar and work together.

Go here - http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/

Thanks. It looks like there aren't going to be any events while I'm down there. :(

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
If you're going to just get an M rated helmet I would just get something off motorcyclegear.com (formerly newenough.com) I've gotten all of my motorcycle gear from them and they have big discounts on stuff. SafeRacer is also a good place from my experience. I've gotten all of my gear for racing in lemons from them and never had any issues.

On another note. Are strut tower bars legal in Stock classes? I was thinking of getting one for my Miata to stop it from shimmying when I hit bumps on the road. You can see the dash shake a bit when it happens. It also happened in my friends miata so it seems like it's a 90-93 problem from the lack of stiffening braces.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Phone posted:

Nope. In Stock you get either a front OR rear (not both) sway bar, minor spacers, and shocks/struts.

ah darn, probably why I didn't see anything about them being allowed when I skimmed the rulebook. I think I might just get one and unbolt the bar before tech. Which sway bar do you think would be most beneficial now that we can do front or rear? I'm probably going to pick up some tokico illuminas from my neighbor as long as he doesn't want a lot for them.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I have no desire to be in sts. I don't have the cash to race in that class anyways. I'm just going to be running in ST1 with the crappy tires I have for now and add the few things I can as I go.

I mainly want the strut tower bar for street use since the whole dash shake thing is annoying.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I took my Miata out for it's first autocross on sunday. I did the worst I've ever done. It started out snowing, then freezing rain, then it stopped for awhile, but then when the line started drying out a little during my runs it started pouring again. So the combination of really wet and cold track, and the POS Zexius tires that came with the car, I didn't get a single good run. I could barely use any throttle or else I would break traction. I at least got some fun drifts in at the turn arounds.

Edit: I got 50th overall out of 50 entrants for the day. FML.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
one of my local autocrossers has been streaming the san diego NT (last weekends event) and this weekends El Toro Pro Solo events live. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/SCCASolo

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Are any Seattle goons going to the WWSCC events at Emerald Downs this weekend? I'll be bringing my new FM car if I can get the carbs fueled properly tomorrow.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I took my F500 out yesterday in the rain, on slicks. It was pretty slow going since I couldn't steer or use more than half throttle. I did manage to get some video on my new JVC Adixxion. The sound is pretty bad, I'll try the tape over the mic trick next weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC9vjWzKarY

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I shot at 60fps but forgot to make sure that the stabilization was turned on. It was the first time I've used the camera. I'll try to put some rubber between the rollbar and the mount next time. The expansion pipe exhaust is also about 6" behind the camera, so it might always sound like poo poo. The car doesn't really sound cool anyways since it's a 2stroke with a CVT from a snowmobile.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Took my F mod out on saturday. I got 4th fastest time of day. My friend Bill got fastest time of day by more than 2 seconds. I was a little over 3 seconds behind him and he'd never driven the car before. He's been autocrossing a lot longer than me and ran the course in the AM session though. It was great to see what my car is capable of and to actually run it as fast as I was able to. I think I was braking too early at the turn arounds and maybe a couple other spots. Unfortunately my cameras battery wasn't cooperating so I didn't get any video. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
That was a good video but there was a serious lack of F mods. I think 2 may have flashed on the screen but they could have been C mods.

• Locked thread