Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Good time for a thread! I actually just finished up an event at Firebird International Raceway today. Here have a shaky vid of me tearing up the course in my little Yaris --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTlFkkrm5gQ .

That's right kids, if I can race a Yaris you have no excuse for not bringing your grocery getter/boring car out to a meet!

***Currently running in the FSP class and about to shoe horn some RS3s on the car for the next meet.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

The problem is that as far as I know, the course was set up such that people were able to stand on the track-side of the timing booth with no concern (ie they didn't cone it off or anything).

Also, I'm not a huge fan of AZ SCCA anyway. The course layouts I've run the few times I've been have been absurdly short, like even the slowest of the slow drivers and cars were putting up 50 second times. The really fast guys were doing low, low 30s. It feels like almost as much as a ripoff as Friday night drags for $ to track time.

Edit: Ha, just noticed the guy above me is in AZ. ~50s in a Yaris in a course that looks a decent bit longer than the one time I took my Miata out.

That's certainly true up in Phoenix! The track today had a best raw time of something like 35 seconds with my car hitting it at 42. It was a bit hard to justify the drive from Tucson up there for what amounted to <200 seconds drive time. I honestly hope they can get off that skidpad and get somewhere bigger, like the Tucson group did by switching from SIR to Marana. At least Marana has been netting between 50 seconds and 80 seconds raw time :v:

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 15, 2011

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

Run a tight parking lot auto x course with manual steering and see how well you do. If you want to be competitive at all it's loving pointless. If you don't mind being slower than molasses then I guess it's ok.

You could always co-drive if you have a friend that's willing to go to the track. I've swapped my Yaris for a friend's CTS-V on a few occasions and we've both had a blast seeing the pros/cons of each other's vehicles.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

superdylan posted:

I used to autocross with a club in Tucson, and the car safety inspections consisted of one guy asking a few questions:

Does it go when you press to go pedal?
Does it stop when you press the stop pedal?
Do you have a helmet?
Ok, you're good to go.

It's still exactly like that, with the occasional "what is racecar backwards?"

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

We have to turn the track into an 'autocross', because it has to pass safety and be approved by the divisional solo safety steward. All SCCA autocrosses run on a road course have to be approved at the divisional level, rather than just by the local safety stewards, in order to keep the event within the solo rules. So there will be chicanes, slaloms, offsets, etc.

Having said that, the courses we've had on the west track in the past have been an absolute blast, with much higher speeds than we can get on the little skid pad, and much more of a 'national' level feel to them. Fairly sure that the last course on the west track was 60-80 seconds depending on the driver/car.

One thing to keep in mind when you are looking at the times for Phoenix events is that the talent pool here is pretty deep. We have multiple national champions running in numerous classes, so the 'fast' times that you see are typically set by guys who own one or more spiffy red jackets. Some of those folks are also in very fast classes to start with (DM, XP, ASP, DSP), so our 'fast times' tend to be pretty hard to touch for your average Joe autocrosser in the family car.

On the other hand, that sort of competition and knowledge is great for learning how to go faster!

Nice to see a few Arizona auto-xer's on the forum! I might just have to drive up from Tucson again to race again. The Tucson crew is certainly more relaxed while the Phoenix group definitely seems more business like.

I also just signed up for the EVO Phase 1 class in Tucson in October, i've heard nothing but good things about the class and I hope it can teach me some of the finer nuances of auto-xing.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

I lied, I ran in group A. The course was a blast, but I managed to finally kill the power steering pump at the end of the last run, so ended up not doing time only runs.

I completely forgot to find you and say hello.

Here is a video of my final run, a 65.8xx dirty (got that cone right before the finish). It was a pretty horrible run now that I'm looking at it on video, and I should really have been in the 64's, but never got there.

http://www.vimeo.com/22528655

If you click on the link prior to about 4pm Pacific time, Vimeo will probably not be done doing whatever it is they do to slow down the posting of video's for free accounts - try back later!

I do always seem to forget to turn the camera on for the good runs, Murphy's law I guess.

Sounds like you had a good time! I'm looking forward to the Tucson meet next week and you Phoenix guys should try to make it down sometime, Marana is a pretty fun place to run!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

I run Marana every chance I get, but I doubt that I'll get down there this coming weekend, as after today my car is spewing power steering fluid, which is a big no-no on the airport tarmac.

I start a new job tomorrow and expect to be gone about 13 or 14 hours per day for a while, which means I won't really have a chance to dig into the car to see what's really wrong until next weekend at the earliest.

I'm sure you'll have a big turnout from Phoenix though, I know a bunch of us head down there every month (to screw up your PAX*).

*I don't screw it up of course, but Fred, Doug, and BP do a fair job of it from time to time.

Tough luck with the car but I did lol at the Phoenix PAX crew comment. The track up in Phoenix looked like it was a blast though!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Not sure what that's about, but *knock on wood* the Tucson group is still having an event at the Marana airport this coming weekend, as far as they know!

Still on as of 5 minutes ago. If they take Marana from me i'll cry.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

To be fair, there's one really easy way to take all of that insanity out of it - just drive to have fun. I was hilariously not competitive on Sunday but I had a loving riot doing it. I don't care what class I end up in, I don't care what position I end up in (as long as it's not "in the wall" or "on my roof"), as long as I had fun and my last run was faster than my first, I'm happy.

That's how I always run in Tucson and now that I have become an accepted member my number 1 goal is to get the announcers/track workers to say something comical about my car whenever I go out. I view it as almost a car show where you can go out and have some fun on the side.

***Of course I am guilty of buying some cheater tires this last week so we'll see how that goes.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

I got that back in the day when I would autocross in my dad's old '94 Z28 (I would just get the rear end out and keep it out, before drifting was cool), and even the one time I took my Miata out on rock-hard tires. The MS3 was definitely the one time I kept the car pretty much completely under control the whole day.

I'm still jealous of my friend who I suckered into SCCA and owns a CTS-V as well as a generic 96' Thunderbird. He shares the name of famous Dan Gurney of actual racing fame. There were many "ghost of Dan Gurney" jokes had when he decided to bring the Thunderbird out one meet.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Welp prepped the car for tomorrow's run. Tore out the malfunctioning 1zz throttlebody I had in there and put the stock 1nz one back in, at least i'll be able to run in ST again!

More importantly I was able to shoehorn the RS-3s on, what a difference in grip!

Have a few pics as I try to bandage my bloody knuckles from working in the tiny engine bay, why did Toyota make everything so sharp.

Rear Tire Fitment

Front Tire Fitment

Happy Yaris

Beefy Rear

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Nice. You'll like the RS-3's, but depending on what tire you were running before, they take some adjustment. The sidewalls aren't nearly as stiff as most other high performance street tires (like the Star specs and Yokohama's), so the turn in will be slower. This is more than offset by the higher ultimate grip in most cars though.

The best way to describe the feel of RS-3's after driving on Star Specs is "Squishy" or "Squirmy". Just quite a bit of flex on turn-in, so they feel wierd. You have to learn to trust them and just go for it until you find out where the 'edge' really is.

Have fun, you'll really enjoy them once you learn just how much lateral grip they have, and start throwing your car into corners at speeds that were simply impossible for you before!

Edit: Wish I was going to be there. :(

Haha yeah i've heard about the soft sidewalls. Going to start around 38 Front and Rear and do some chalking to hopefully dial it in a bit. Wish I had a pyrometer.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

How wide are the wheels?

I'm on 15x7s with the R-S3s and I dropped the pressure from 38 to 34 on all four corners and picked up 1.5 seconds. (brand new car to me though)

15x7's as well....perhaps i'll start a wee bit lower.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Well just finished the Tucson event and had a blast. Must not have been driving aggressive enough because I didn't even nudge one cone.

Here, have a best run video-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo0mZ7Ol1rk

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Wish I'd been able to make it, that course was pretty awesome the last time they ran it.

Completely off-topic, when you aren't autocrossing it, what sort of mileage do you get in that Yaris, and what is your overall impression of the car now that you've had it for a while?

The course was a blast the second time around! As for typical mileage? I'm getting about 33 in city. The Yaris is definitely a little quirky car and really does remind me of the late 80's to early 90's Japanese sub compacts before they got bloated. The paint is cheap, the interior is nice, there is a surprising amount of room in the engine bay to work in, and the center speedometer has its haters but hasn't bothered me much.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So is anyone else showing up to the Marana auto-x tomorrow? I'd strongly encourage any Tucson/Phoenix guys to come on out!

Going to be a pretty fast course.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 21, 2011

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Beach Bum posted:

What a weird finish. I forsee that cone wall on the right getting demolished a few times.

Yeah Marana always has a thing for weird finishes although we rarely see an extreme dnf from it. I do feel like we're skirting closer and closer to the taxiways which makes me a little nervous but if Marana Airport Authority has no issue with it then I guess I shouldn't.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So had a fun time out at Marana just now. Unfotunatele I had my first mechanical failure in the form of a busted brake line but luckily I managed to keep it under control. Other interesting things, I was finally able to drive my friend's CTS-V and all I could say was wow, a whole different beast to the Yaris!

Overall it was a great event and the track layout was a blast this month. Next month we'll be doing a rare Saturday auto-x so you guys should come out if you can!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
And fun times at the Marana track! Apparently the longest and fastest one we've had out there all year.

I am superstar of Yaris racing! :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1sujc5-E60

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Got to go out into the blazing Arizona sun for another autocross meet. It was a relatively plane-jane course but still fun even though I chickened out on the last slalom the entire day. Largest novice turnout we had in months as well!

Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78nf-TFwCig

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Any local Southern AZ goons going to the Marana meet tomorrow? It's looking like it's going to be a fun course and a cool-ish summer day so you won't bake as a worker. Look for the short, Charlie Brown looking guy driving the Yaris if you do. Should be a blast!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Another fun event day in Marana as usual. We had a pretty big turnout as quite a few guys from Phoenix showed up this time. I'm thinking a lot of the guys are getting sick of the Firebird skidpad and Marana seems to be picking up steam.

Here's some dumb guy driving a dumb car -->
http://youtu.be/8JXKW7K1qHw
Those RS3s are a bunch of whiny bitches on turns though.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Well another sunny day here in Tucson and another fun event at the Marana airport. First time i've taken the car out after a proper alignment and I could definitely feel the difference. Here enjoy a boring video of a Yaris on the course --->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1ROwfvmKc

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

That was a pretty awesome course today. I'm currently uploading my in-car from my first time only run, will post it when it's done.

Somebody was nice enough to catch a picture of me on course today (before the course blew away).

If you didn't stay for the third run group, towards the end of it a bit of a storm blew in, sprinkled just a bit to get everything damp, and then hit us with an amazing dust storm that sand-blasted the crap out of everything, and left not a single cone standing on the entire course.

Hopefully someone will post a picture of that later (the carnage).

Oh poo poo! That was your BMW? It looked awesome out there on the course! As for the duststorm, I was lucky enough to miss it after I bitched at the workers coordinator that I wanted to work A/run B and got out by 12:30. Still not sure why they decided to mix it up. Well now I can stalk you say hi next time assuming you come to the October meet.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

So after watching your video a couple of times, here is some unsolicited advice. :)

At 0:20 to about 0:27, you are seriously over-driving the car, and are in a fairly steady 'push' state throughout those two corners, which caused you to be far too deep into the corners, and you were probably in the marbles from being off line as well (although if you ran in A group, there may not have been much build up off line yet).

I wouldn't be surprised if you could have shaved a full second or more off of your time on that run in the video, if you had backed off just enough to take a tight line without the under-steer through that section.

The next autocross, when you notice the car pushing through corners, and find yourself nowhere near the apex cones, try backing off a bit, and take what may feel like a slower run, but hold your car tight right up against the cones.

One of the lessons that took me a stupidly long time to learn in this sport, is that sometimes "slower really can be faster".

If you come up to Phoenix for an event, look me up and I'll ride along with you if you want, and see if I can give you any pointers. I'm chief instructor in Phoenix, so it falls under my job description!

I appreciate the tips and will continue to try to beat them into me. Dave Rock said the same thing and i've tried hard but sometimes I just get an adrenalin rush out there and that makes me abuse the accelerator pedal. I'll definitely hit you up if I go up to firebird again though.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So I went to my very first evolution phase one school this weekend and all I can say is it was worth the money! It was really eye opening to have Doug Rowse and Tom Kotzian in the car teaching me and forcing me to get rid of the bad habits i've picked up. By the end of the day I felt a lot more confident in the car but more importantly in the driver. Also plenty of drive time! I would highly recommend the course to anyone.

Wheeee!

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 18, 2011

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

The final moments in the life of a cone...

Was a great event today, although a bit damp for the first groups. I am told that on my final run of the day, I was captured on video doing horrible things to the finish (spin and extreme DNF). Haven't seen it yet though.

On the other hand, this is how you *should* do a slalom:

One of the photographers caught another picture of a cone wrinkled and slightly tipped over, but stayed in the box. I was a wee bit tight on the slalom cones today (or, I guess yesterday, since it's 2:30am now).

Haha awesome and great pictures (Rob took those I imagine?). AZSolo is a cone grinder for sure. Looking froward to destroying a few with the new and improved Turbo Yaris this weekend at Marana.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So took the Yaris out for the first time since the turbo install. It was a very fun course and we had a huge turnout! I even had my first spin out ever, quite the experience!

The Locator, you missed out!

Here's the obligatory Yaris-cam-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWqGzA_yZag

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Wanted to go, but just wasn't in the cards for this weekend.

Nice video, but dump the music so we can hear sweet Yaris turbo noises.

Haha the camera picked up nothing but wind.....I need a good camera that actually picks up poo poo :downs:

Also did you have anything to do with the new novice designation that was put on cars right next to the run group? Seemed to help a lot of the newbies out.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 21, 2011

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

fixt :unsmigghh:

So how much power is the Yaris putting down now? Does it feel very different?

I wonder if the GoPro has semi decent pickup. As for HP numbers, i'm pulling about 175whp now, not too shabby for a 1.4 liter motor I figure.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

All of my videos are with a GoPro, so if you have watched any of my runs, you will know what the GoPro sounds like inside the car.

Not my doing, although I would be unsurprised if it came out of the ongoing discussions on the AZ region forums about what to do in order to make the events more 'newbie' friendly.

From what I've heard, it worked well, and I imagine that we'll copy that in Phoenix.

Well that's good to know. Guess i'll have to go ahead and pull the trigger. Seems like AZsolo.com shares the same thoughts.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I don't think any camera really has a decent mic, especially not a mini one. I guess you could try making a sock for it that would cut the wind noise some. Even a top quality shotgun mic needs wind protection.

Comedy option of putting the camera inside the engine bay. :q:

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Final update! Turns out a few of the guys were taking pictures out there.

4 tires? Bah 3 will do fine!

Doing my finest smooth criminal lean.

Slaloms are always fun!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

e.pie posted:

I've found that tape over the mic leads to an acceptable amount of wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMz9rDFOkAw

That was a great run and a great video. Using a GoPro HD then?

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Best run of the day, even with my failure at the "lollipop"! I felt like I was far more aware of the limits of grip with the turbo driving the front wheels this time around. This was one of the funnest track layouts i've seen in a long time. Oh and don't mind me talking to myself!

Also no house music this time around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMtAa4gS64

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

This is gonna sound dumb but whenever I watch autocross vids I have no clue where the driving path is. I kinda want to try it this summer but I'm fairly sure I'd end up not following the path

You always hear about being lost in a sea of cones but if you do a course walk or two prior to the race and have a semi-competent local club that lays out courses in a logical way you should have no problem! Also, at least for our club, novices can get an experienced person to co-ride with them a few times to help guide you and give pointers on the course.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 12, 2011

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So i'll be mixing it up and going to the Sierra Vista autocross tomorrow (Can't miss my Packers playing next week). Any other Arizona goons hitting it up? Supposedly it's slightly faster then the Marana events which would be pretty crazy!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Well it was a fun one in Sierra Vista. A good showout and a pretty fun track design! For the first time I felt like I was keeping the turbo in the sweet spot! It was nice to beat a few shifter karts for a change! The only issue I had was with timing on the final slalom, I was carrying a hell of a lot of speed into it and chickened out and hit the brakes, thus throwing me off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40W2t_5P9y4&feature=youtube_gdata

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 9, 2012

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

What turbo kit are you running on the egg?

The kit is from Zage Turbosystems over in Taiwan and the turbine is a 15g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Congratulations.

Content: Car is loaded on the trailer, and ready to head out at Dark-O-Thirty in the morning. This will be my first event as Solo Director for the region. Not sure how I feel about being dumb enough to volunteer for this, the last week has been pretty interesting and busy.

Good luck! And take some video while you're out there!

• Locked thread