Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
I try to autox once a month or so here in SoCal. I run my 08 STI in the local stock street tire class with my only real mods being tires and a huge front sway bar (32mm, stock is 20mm). The club here in the LA area uses a big lot at AAA Speedway in Fontana and we can get courses of around 70 sec out of it. A few times a year they hold events at the abandoned airfield at the old El Toro marine base (of Ken Block Gymkhana #1 fame) and courses there end up being about the same time but are usually much longer with faster sections.

I'm confining myself to stock class so I don't go crazy modding my car. If I bump up a class then my car will have to be really stiff to be competitive and I wouldn't enjoy it as much on the street. This also allows me to run stock class in rallycross as well with pretty much the same setup. I just change my wheels/tires and disconnect the front swaybar and then go hit the dirt. My goal is to get first in my class in both with the same car, so far my best in autox is 3rd and rallyx is 2nd.

Last month they had autox and rallyx competitions on the same day and I almost attempted to do both just to say that I did. The events were maybe 20 min from each other and if the run/work groups had worked out right I probably could have made both with just my minor modifications in between. I ended up just doing the rallyx because they are run less often and I didn't want to stress myself out too much trying to do both.

normal/slow motion vid of autox school in 2009 (before huge FSB)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PX_8I_5FKc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilqkBO1q5sE

Rallyx last month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
I found this video from an event I did last year. I think this is one of every autocrossesrs worst fears, the guy spun and got disoriented and then came back the wrong way, notice the lack of red flags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0-sO1filMk

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
Had a great day of autox today at El Toro. They almost cancelled this morning due to high winds but everyone opted to wait a bit to see if it would die down and it paid off. Everyone still got their 12 runs for the day even though we started at 11 instead of 9 and the course was awesome. I took a friend of mine that was going for the first time and by the end of the day he managed to figure out the course and not spin his car (S2000), which were his goals.

Here's my fastest run, it was good for my car (stock class STI on street tires) but about 10 seconds slower than TTOD. We have some REALLY fast cars and drivers in our region.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90rFOaJdY9Y

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

How do you have such an awesome site, with 80 second runs, and yet have a low enough turnout to get in 12 runs while not starting until 11am? Holy crap. We rarely get more than 8 runs (4 comp, 4 time only if you sign up for them) and we have much shorter courses with the first car out by 8:30-8:45, and finish up around 4pm.

On the competition day that's what we do too (4 comp and 4 time only if you pay for them) but this was a practice day with limited entries. I think they had about 100 people signed up which is large because we usually have around 70 or 80 for practice days. After they said that we were going to wait and make a decision some people didn't want to risk it or had to leave early so they left and about 65 stayed. It ran very efficiently from there and we got everyone their 12 runs by 5:30. Today at the competition they may have over 150 people so things will be a bit different.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

Ride along with the current national champion in X-Prepared at the recent divisional in El Toro, as he makes everyone else (except Keisel) look slow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smop0P7GkZ4

Are you a regular at the LA area events? I try and make it to at least one autox a month, usually SCCA, in my red STI but I didn't do the divisional or the pro as I've been traveling a lot for work lately.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

Nope, I've never run there (video is NOT me!), but I really want to get out to an El Toro event, everything I've seen and heard about that site says it's completely amazing and awesome.

Ahh I see, I thought it was you riding along in the video. El Toro is awesome, it's so huge and grippy. I've seen events there where they have a huge 70+ second autox course, a practice slalom, a practice skidpad, a kart track for the kiddies, and two evo school courses all running at the same time. Eventually they have plans to turn it into a park but Orange County probably won't have money to start that for several more years. Hope you can make it out before then.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

Tell those fuckers that it's already a park. A motorsports park!

Exactly! A well used one at that. It's in use for driving events almost every weekend, and it acts as the Top Gear US test track and was the setting for Ken Block's first "gymkhana" video. They should at least save one corner of it as a driving playground if they do ever get the funds to tear up the runways, I mean we only really use a small portion of it anyway to set up an autox course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
Yesterday I went to an autocross at California Speedway with my 08 STI (almost dead RE01r tires, huge front swaybar, accessport tune, usually run in local SCCA street tire stock class). It was a casual just for fun event in conjunction with the track day on the big track but I still like to see how I stack up against the other cars.

Cars that were faster than me: Porsche GT3 on R Comps, ASP Corvette, ST(?) Del Sol with "national champion" driver, S2000 on R comps, caged NB Miata race car, and a shifter cart that was way faster than anyone.

Cars that should have been faster than me: Lotus Exige, Corvette ZR-1, Corvette Z06, C6 Corvette with "Tire Rack" windshield banner, and a Shelby GT-500 (course may have been too tight for him).

It was overall a good day but I had to leave early due to my tires quitting on me. I knew this was to be their last event and by the end of the day my right rear was so toasted that I couldn't make a left turn without drifting. While this was pretty fun, I had to make sure I could make it home on the tires.

• Locked thread