Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
You don't need a roll bar to do SCCA autocross, all you need is a Snell certified helmet, and no fluid leaks and you're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

c355n4 posted:

Not totally true, NJ state law requires convertibles such as miatas have a rollbar that clears the top of the driver's helmet. So it can vary. Best bet is to ask someone in your local organization.

Oh sorry my bad, I didn't know that it varied by state/region. That's just the way it is at the Indiana events I've been to.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Tonight I finally saw the times from the Autocross on Sunday, and found out that I came in 34th/75 people overall and got 3rd/27 people in the novice class. I'm pretty happy with that for only being my second autocross ever, and my first autocross in a FWD car. I should definitely be able to improve on that without needing to modify my car.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Phone posted:

It's kind of funny when you see mods people at autocross. In the top 3 raw times this past weekend, #2 was a CS Miata and #3 was a GS Civic Si. It's all about the driver and to a lesser extent the tires.

That said, I need to buy a 1500 dollar titanium exhaust because that's where I'm losing that tenth of a second.

All of the top 20 people at this autocross had pretty heavily modified cars, none were in stock classes. Most of the mods were suspension related though as far as I know. You're right though, the driver and tires are more important than the car.

I was pretty confused with the Miatii at this autocross though, the fastest Miata at this event was only 3 places and .321s faster than me.

The fastest car at the event was a SMS class 2006 WRX STI which got 53.194s and I got 60.158 in 34th place for reference.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 21, 2011

• Locked thread