Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chupacabra
May 20, 2005

I did my first autocross event today with the BSCC (Bremerton Sports Car Club). It was a novice class for people with zero or little experience racing around a track. We did nine runs around the track, each time with an instructor coaching us and giving us pointers. Despite the rain and cold I had a lot of fun and will definitely do it again.

Some things I learned:

You will spend more time out of your car than in it. When your group isn't running, you'll be on the perimeter of the track putting back all the cones that got knocked over by the group that is running. Cones get knocked over a lot, especially on the slalom parts of the course. It took each group about two hours to get all their runs in. I probably only spent about 10 minutes on the track all day. However, those 10 minutes were some of the most fun I have ever had.

If anything, it is fun just to see what cars everyone brought. One guy brought a De Tomaso Pantera. It was scary looking and quite fast. Another guy brought his 1st gen Subaru Outback. It was bone stock and he drove the poo poo out of it. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen. Then there was a great mix of STIs, BMWs (a couple M3s and Z4s), Corvettes, Nissan 370s, 240SXs and Infinitis, a 3rd gen Camaro, and even a Lotus Exige (I think). That poor Lotus though. Two of his runs got interrupted because the Miata running before him spun out and couldn't recover in time.

My runs weren't anything special, but it was a thrill seeing my times improve and I didn't wreck my car! Yay!

All in all a great day, despite the miserable weather. :)

Oh, and Corvettes are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread