Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whiskas
May 30, 2005
"Sorry, you can't ride along, my passenger seat is taken."

Sometimes I let real girls ride along: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywwi-QKZqkg

whiskas fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Dave Inc. posted:

That seems peculiar, why would autox drivers disconnect the rear sways? In every car I've autocrossed, understeer has always been the problem, never oversteer.

A lot of RWD cars need an aftermarket front sway bar the diameter of an elephant's cock to deal with oversteer. This is one of the reasons why aftermarket front sway bars are stock legal. Great for RWD, awful for FWD.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
There's a member in my club who is super competitive. He has been keeping spreadsheets of all his costs over the last few years and determined that each run at an autocross costs him $20 in wear and tear + parts alone. You may as well picture him pulling up to the starting grid for each run and throwing a $20 bill out the window.

This is assuming:

Hoosier A6's
Launching like a bat out of hell (frequent clutch and diff replacements)
Fuel costs
Driving like his life depends on it

So if you plan on reaching national levels of competition, it isn't cheap.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I would recommend an open face if you don't have a convertible. It gets hot as balls in a full face helmet, and the open air of a convertible is the only thing that cools it down.

The problem I find with full face helmets is that you have an extra few inches of helmet hanging off the front of your face. So if you turn your head to look out your driver side window (something that you should be doing if you look ahead as you drive), then your helmet smacks into the window

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Way2slow posted:

I left thinking one thing though- I'd really like to shift more than the initial first to second while driving hard.

It really depends on the car you drive. Most cars do a 1-2 shift and that's it.

S2000's are a drat row boat. 90% of my conversation with other S2000 drivers at any given event have to do with when and where to shift. We have about as much torque as a sewing machine, and if we drop out of VTEC we're pretty much as fast as a civic so we gotta work hard to keep it above that 6000rpm sweet spot.

whiskas fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 19, 2011

whiskas
May 30, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

How badly am I going to be laughed at if I show up with a 97 sunfire gt? It's a beater, but stick shift and for the most part in good working order. Slave cylinder is leaky, but thats really the only problem.

To be honest it's impossible to have a car that's too lovely for autocross.

We have an old 80's BMW racing in our club that burns about a liter of oil per day. It makes more blue smoke than a loving unicorn.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Ziploc posted:

BAD HANDS EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sra1aheo774

No surprise it's a RHD car. My club has banned countless numbers of those retards trying to recreate tokyo doriftu on our autocross courses.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
Hitting the timing gear means you owe the club 10x:10bux:

Still doesn't cover the cost as our timing gear is easily worth $2000+

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Podothehobbit posted:

Best run of the day, even with my failure at the "lollipop"! I felt like I was far more aware of the limits of grip with the turbo driving the front wheels this time around. This was one of the funnest track layouts i've seen in a long time. Oh and don't mind me talking to myself!

Also no house music this time around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIMtAa4gS64

Wow that looks like a fantastic venue.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

The Locator posted:

Nice picture.

I lose far too many parts off of my BMW just auto-crossing, I can't even begin to imagine what would fall off if I tried to rally-cross it!

But... superior German adhesives?

I saw those photos on the CSCC forum, it was kinda humbling knowing it was one of the last events ever to be held at race city. The first time I ever wore a helmet behind the steering wheel of a car was on the oval.

Guess there's nothing left but to autocross on parking lots until one of the many rumors of a nearby track materializes.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Brigdh posted:

You should have gotten RS3s :)

RS3s don't heat up nearly as quick. Star Specs are the way to go.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I'm very curious how the FRS will hold up to the V6 mustang.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

quote:

The car's light weight and low center of gravity don't demand a high-grip tire

That is just utter bullshit. "Our car is too light and too well balanced for the likes of silly performance summer tires" *flicks cigarette at you*

I honestly think toyota has forgotten how to build a performance car. This is the first remotely sporty car to come out with a toyota badge in almost a decade.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Make sure you understand the rules governing convertibles.

Whiskas got one of those hitch T-bars that holds the wheels.

Most guys who want to bring tires with them have a small homemade single axle trailer. Usually something big enough for a small toolbox and 4 tires.

I wish I could find the picture I saw a few years ago on the S2ki forums of a guy towing a full size speedboat with his S2000.

I could go on forever about how awesome the S2000 is. Instead I'll just say this. Every person I have talked to who has ever owned an S2000 has told me they regretted selling it. And roughly 25% of those people followed up that statement by saying they ended up buying themselves another one. I've had mine for almost 4 years and don't see myself selling it in the near future.

Even the guy I bought it from told me he regretted selling it, hahaha.

whiskas
May 30, 2005
You can see the annoyance on my tire guy's face when I ask him to mount my 215mm rcomps with stiff rear end sidewalls onto the skinny stock wheels on my neon.

whiskas
May 30, 2005

Muffinpox posted:

Annnd here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9jFvdF2JOM

I demolished the camera on the last run of the day screwing around, here's one where it actually survives:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaglvHWqBnI

It still works, just a little banged up. Need a tethering system for next time.

I knew what car that was just by the engine note. CAI or you took the airbox cover off?

whiskas
May 30, 2005
From what I heard the ideal spot is between 5000-5500RPM, they put it a bit higher so that you can feel a sharper kick when it engages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskas
May 30, 2005
The best setup is usually a thick front sway bar. It made the car much more neutral, and if you gently caress up and go into a corner too quick it pushes. The stock setup is just stupidly biased to oversteer.

• Locked thread