Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I miss autocrossing, but the Houston SCCA is full of some colossal douches, and they drastically increased their prices why still only giving 4 runs.

Have any TX goons been to TAMSCC's events or whatever autox event that runs in San Antonio? I've heard that a guy flipped a car at a TAM autox, and people always claim that they run dangerous events. But, they can never give much in the way of details other than this one isolated story.

Someone start up an Austin autox.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Piano posted:

I've only seen one 'accident' at autocross, and it was due to someone understeering into a curb that was a good 20 feet past the 'edge' of the course. Just have to keep an eye out for stuff like that if you're in a sort of cramped parking lot. That's the only thing I can think of, besides like an SUV flipping over? Most of the time, it's probably more safe than driving in traffic...

The one I'm referring to is a pair of brothers ( I believe) who raced a modified E36 3-series of some sort with massive slicks. I've never gotten a good run down of what happened, just that the course/venue is "unsafe" and that they flipped/rolled the car.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

Accidents don't happen if the course is designed correctly.

WRONG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41viy4I

Edit: Accidents happen when you buy the wrong lugnuts.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 14, 2011

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

HachiGo posted:

Any suggestions for a really thin/low profile helmet?

My head is practically touching the roof already, I don't know how I could fit with some of the helmets I've tried on.

My head would hit the ceiling in my 240sx with a helmet, and would get very close to hitting the ceiling without a helmet. If you're really serious, the answer is to get an aftermarket seat and brackets, or just a set of custom seat brackets to lower the height of the seat.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

This, this, a thousand times this. The only autocross club I've found in Central Texas is Spokes. They run most of their events in San Antonio (I'm not driving ~160 miles round trip to autocross), they cost around $50 and you get 3-4 runs MAX.

I just want something in greater Austin that's not stupidly expensive :saddowns:

Right, the only other "close" AutoX is TAMSCC in College Station. Their practice events are pretty cheap and you get a lot more runs, but again you're driving a good ways, just to dodge cones.

So until the F1 track opens up and someone runs autox's in the parking lot or track days there's probably nothing "close" by. (The Driveway can eat a dick.)

This parking lot looks like you could run an event in it, but you have those pesky concrete parking blocks running down the center and dividing it into three smaller areas. And I'm not sure how open Austin ISD would be to renting it out, and all that nonsense.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

superdylan posted:

I used to autocross with a club in Tucson, and the car safety inspections consisted of one guy asking a few questions:

Does it go when you press to go pedal?
Does it stop when you press the stop pedal?
Do you have a helmet?
Ok, you're good to go.

Houston SCCA tech inspection involved checking that the throttle cable operated smoothly, brakes weren't mushy (I think?), tugging on your battery to make sure it was well strapped down, looking for any heavy/bad leaks, missing lug nuts, bad wheel bearings, and making sure you removed all loose items from your car. Then of course, a helmet of some sort.

I knew several people who were sent away because of missing lug nuts.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

I'm going to guess with the liabilities of running cars at speed in a school parking lot there's no way in hell. Couldn't hurt to ask I guess.

I think the SCCA car clubs are self insured to cover accidents in those lots, and remove liability from the facility owner, but I don't know this for certain. I would guess that they probably wouldn't mind some additional revenue from renting out the lot, perhaps. But I'm not in any position to start this sort of thing up. Know any venture capitalists?

I've only looked at The Driveway very briefly and as I recall it was stupidly expensive. I've been to Iron Rock Raceway once as well (not the same thing I know but karts are fun). It was fairly expensive for what you got and a lot of people that seemed to take karting waaaay too seriously.

The Driveway is stupid expensive. In addition, if you want to drive the entire course you have to take the owner's licensing class or some nonsense. The last "event" I heard about there was a Hellaflush sponsored car show where you parked you whip on the track. That was $35 to enter. :psypop:

I've been to Harris Hill Road as a spectator for a motorcycle track day, but I'm completely unfamiliar with car-track days, who runs them, and how much they cost. I didn't know you could rent Miatas at TWS, but it might be fun to take my MS3 out there some time-- or rent a car that I don't have to drive home afterward...

Is that cart track the one located on the airport grounds?

Back to autocrossing: the UT Austin car club will make trips down to the SA autocross you mentioned, but I didn't realize it was such a bum deal w.r.t. runs and cost.

And as far as people being a little too serious: when I first started autocrossing I had just finished a 300zx brake swap and 5 lug conversion on my 240sx. As a result I bought a set of 17x9 5zigen wheels and was running a 245 series tire. (Probably way too much for a stock engine, but it handled well enough and felt really solid.) I didn't know which class to sign up for so someone stuck me in Dstock with a bunch of ITRs. I had no chance of beating them, and someone still came up and told me that my tires were too wide, but he'd let it go this time.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Disciple of Pain posted:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't grab my helmet and go autocross my '11 Honda Insight? I mean, I know it is slow as hell, but I miss autocrossing. I figured with a CVT, electric steering, and dime-thin fuel-saver tires it might actually be fun. Car is pretty light, I'd imagine lighter than the mkIV VWs I used to run...

Why the hell not? There was a couple co-driving an early 2000 Accord sedan at the autocross I went to today. It was slow as molasses, but they managed to lock the brakes up a few times and generally do silly things.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
There was a guy racing his CR-Z at the San Antonio/Spokes autocross yesterday. He seemed to have some fun with it, though I don't know what times he was turning in.

Here are some snaps from the grid.
Absolutely ridiculous Porsche Boxter w/ carbon fibre hood/trunk lid, big wing, front aero, body kit, nearly-open exhaust, big tires, etc. I'm sure he was turning in fast times, but it wasn't nearly as impressive/awesome sounding as the Cobb STi or a supercharged Lotus Elise.

(Click for big)

MS3 convention. Not pictured: The other 4+ MS3's that were also running at the same time (counting my own).

(Click for big)

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 28, 2011

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Have any of you guys been to the Houston SCCA events recently? It looks like they've moved their events to Baytown, and it's $45. Do they still only do 4 runs, or have they stopped being such dicks?

There's one this weekend, but if it's $20 more than SASCA and two runs less, I'll save my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

How not to enter the stop box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjNbLMb4is

I can't count the number of people that blew the box though, they had it on a really weird angle. I did that twice before saying gently caress it and braking well beyond the weird angle and juuust managing to stop before the last cone. Thanks to ziploc for the video!

Man, your entire course location scares me. All of those curbs and yellow signs!

• Locked thread