Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Fudge for Hands posted:

I see a healthy discussion about NY or up north rappers, which I can respect since even I enjoy that style every now and then. I don't see as much discussion about rappers from the dirty south on these beloved forums though, and that's the type of music I like to listen to. I think part of the reason for the lack of southern discussion could be a shortage of new, decent music coming out of the south. Part of the fun I have with dirty south rap is looking into the history of it, and I really focus on music from the 90s. I dig deeper when I find something I like.

I'm not really a huge enthusiast when it comes to southern rap but I've been listening to a lot of Jackie Chain.

Jackie Chain - Mr. V.I.P. (http://vimeo.com/13307124)
Jackie Chain - This is Not Enough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrhwmb8h4sk)
Jackie Chain - Rollin' (Diplo Remix) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ghhX98sGM)

But I want to say it's for all the wrong reasons. The big reasons I even listen to this stuff (I'm more of a NY/northeast style type of guy with some bay area mixed in) is probably because of how awesome his name is. Also the fact that it's an Asian dude with long hair in the rap game talking about blunts and poo poo. Also he raps off an iPad.

But it's always fun to have people ask me what I'm listening to nowadays (I'm THAT guy when it comes to friends looking for new music) and when I mention Jackie Chain it usually results in a good laugh just on the name alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Leathal posted:

Good Things About Jackie Chain:
-Name
-Block Beataz production
-G-Side guest appearances

Bad Things About Jackie Chain:
-literally (literally) everything else

Exactly what I was trying to say without being too overly critical.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
So I really want to get into some good hyphy music but I don't really know where to look aside from E-40. Point me in the right direction as I want to expand my hip hop knowledge.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
@Everyone who linked some good hyphy

Keak Da Sneak: Awesome. Exactly what I was looking for.
Coppers D-Lo: I dig it.
Haji Springer: Not sure what to think here. Not a huge a fan but the beat is nice.
Mac Dre: Basically AWESOME. The song 'Feelin Myself' has such a sick beat. Didn't this dude die though?
Mistah FAB: Ghost ride the whip is probably going to be playing in my car about 10000x
Cousin Fik: AMAZING. I love these hyphy beats. Kaboom is pretty legit.

The one thing I really like about hyphy music is that bay area rappers usually have that accent when they rap and it oddly goes really well with any beat they rap over.

Much appreciated for the recs.

• Locked thread