Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
texasmed
May 27, 2004
I see a healthy discussion about NY or up north rappers, which I can respect since even I enjoy that style every now and then. I don't see as much discussion about rappers from the dirty south on these beloved forums though, and that's the type of music I like to listen to. I think part of the reason for the lack of southern discussion could be a shortage of new, decent music coming out of the south. Part of the fun I have with dirty south rap is looking into the history of it, and I really focus on music from the 90s. I dig deeper when I find something I like.

I wanted to talk briefly about a couple of dudes from Memphis, though. Does anybody else have a small obsession with the history of the Three Six Mafia? For example, if you like their bangin' beats and also enjoy the comedy of their filthy lyrics at all, maybe you'd like stuff from these guys as well. You might feel like you've heard em actually, because like many dirty south groups, Hypnotize has sampled their success very heavily in their later work.

Skinny Pimp is Lookin' for some chewin!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=telSP8E6jsk
I'm pretty sure this dude was pivotal in getting 3-6 out of their garage and into people's tape decks in the early 90s. You'll hear him on some of 3-6's new stuff as samples.

Animosity toward his peers has Koopsta Knicca discharging firearms at them.
Anna Got Me Clickin' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWJMxv3Diwk
I admit that most of this track is a chorus, but you gotta check out this beat! Wikipedia says Koopsta's "melodic 'fast-rapping' style" can be pretty much compared to Bone Thugs. A track called Stash Pot would be another good example of it.
Stash Pot - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtEQUAAitng

I just wanted to sprinkle some dirty old poo poo into this thread to mix it up a bit. I hope you enjoy the links I shared.

Edit nearly 2 days later: I realize that some of these tracks show up many, many times on different Memphis rappers' releases, but I was hoping some of you had never heard them before.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Diodeous posted:

I do sorta the same thing a city at a time. I started on Houston/Dallas/San Ant, working my way through NOLA/Baton Rouge right now. I think the stories are more interesting than some of the music, especially the history of labels like Cash Money and then groups like SUC. A good example of this is a short history of Cash Money Records' independent years from the Amoeba blog.

I've always been a huge fan of CMR affiliated acts since about 1999-2004. I started on BG'z True Story (11 year old weezy lol) and went from there, including that last UNLV album. Thanks for the link! I'm looking forward to checking out all these dudes I never got a chance to. I can hear 3 or 4 samples out of that Ricky B track that showed up on later Cash Money releases, love it.

I'd definitely include Texas in the Dirty South genre, because I think Houston contributed a huge amount to the style. Also I gotta include a mention of June 27 from my hero DJ Screw and the Screwed Up Click (which was mentioned earlier). I'm pretty much bangin' screw all the time, even to this day almost 10 years after his passing. I like him so much because he seemed to appreciate all the current hip hop acts, north, west, south, as long as it was good.

Chade Johnson posted:

Fast rap and Southern rap discussion and no mention of Three 6 Mafia/HCP? For shame. T-Rock, lord Infamous, Kingpink Skinny Pimp all do/did that stacatto fast rap style. I mean poo poo, DJ Paul and Juicy J are still putting out bumpin rear end mixtapes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10wBVFZ0Hs0

I got you with the Skinny reference in my earlier post, and Koopsta. I really enjoy all that Prophet Posse horrorcore devil poo poo. I wanted to share a couple of references I have of finding music by them if anybody was interested, and it seems there's a bit. Some dude wrote a blog called Darkside Klick and it lists a bunch of old Memphis acts, including Lil Jule who did an album in 1994 called Ashes 2 Ashes. Don't try 2 Test His Nuts! I don't know if he was affiliated with Prophet but it's pretty obvious that DJ Paul's voice is on this track.
http://dahypnotize.blogspot.com/search/label/DJ%20Paul
There's also this one, but it's got probably 300 artists listed, so its gonna be tough finding something worth your time.
http://bottomofthemap.blogspot.com/search/label/DJ%20Paul
If there's any issue with sharing these blogs due to files I'll remove them if I'm not dealt with before I know it.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

alansmithee posted:

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Either way: the reason you hate the south is because you don't understand the important regional element of rap music. Willie the Kid could be the scientificly objective Worst Rapper Ever and I would still keep his tapes in rotation because of the fireworks over Lake Michigan joint. Folks from the south feel the same way about the cats down there.

And that's not why I hate southern rap at all, I've said numerous times. Most of the time, they can't rap. Beats are average (or sometimes hot) but then when it comes to the part between the chorus, it's garbage.

This whole thread you've come off like "your type of music sucks! You can listen to it if you want but just know that it sucks!" :smug: I'd like your posts a lot better if you just ignore the stuff you don't like. I don't like NY style rap, so I won't constantly post about that.

Does Southern rap have its moments where it's not artistically significant enough to be stored in the Library of Congress? Sure. A lot of the music I enjoy consists of a dude rapping about material possessions, or maybe killing somebody, over some sampled 70's R&B. Is this any worse than the kind of cerebral, meditative, Beat Nuts carnival tune you linked for us earlier? Nope. Maybe you'd be better off reading poetry if you're looking for some inspiration. Just pay attention to the way the words flow with the beat when you listen to southern rap, and not worry so much about the definition of each word in the verse. Take Project Pat for a great example, a literal flow virtuoso who might not be sharing physics equations or life lessons with everyone in his verses.

I'm glad there's been a bit of talk about Memphis artists, and I appreciate the links to the dudes I haven't heard of. Has anybody heard of the rap duo DJ Glock and the Sawed Off Gangsta? I've only found one album from them ever, and I think they originally did a couple of Triple Six's hits. People say in various youtube comments that DJ Glock is out of jail and S.O.G. is still in, but I still haven't found anything recently. I'm interested in hearing the rest of their story. Here's all that I know by them, and anybody familiar with the body of work of Triple Six (90s era) would recognize these hooks.

(alansmithee no click zone)
Lil Glock & S.O.G. - Blow A Niggaz rear end Off (1994)
Blow a Niggaz rear end Off
Puttin' Hoez On Da House (DJ Paul and Lord Infamous on this one, a real smooth beat)
Come & Get Ya Wig Split
North Memphis Area (I like the sample and it flows pretty well, but its one big chorus for 2:44)
Mask & Da Glock (One I initially knew as "Victim of a Driveby")

Also, DJ Mannie Fresh is pretty much the best producer to ever walk this planet, so that means that Lil Wayne's early stuff is still good. :colbert: I agree that he isn't great now.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Well if you like punchlines, you gotta check out Thinkin' Thoed off Paul Wall & Chamillionaire's Get Ya Mind Correct (one of my favorite albums of all time).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBFLAdMOIu0

The intro is pretty great and Paul Wall's verse at about 50 seconds in gets ridiculous, but the whole song is full of gems. It's not a bunch of battle rap lines, rather a bunch of gloating about how much money and toys they have (want).

a couple of random lines from track 3 posted:

I'm throwed like a fastball from Greg Maddux

trunk turnin flips, people think I teach gymnastics

nba draft teams wanna recruit us, three point diamonds man the lakers couldn't outshoot us!

Also Jurassic is a term describing something really big.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 4, 2011

texasmed
May 27, 2004
[edit: quote removed, i know alansmithee is just misguided lol]

Anyways if you wanna hear some music chopped & screwed and haven't already downloaded everything DJ Screw ever touched I don't know what to tell you. I think anything else is second rate.

I had a post earlier jizzing all over the place about DJ Screw, here are the songs I linked again if you missed them.

Fudge for Hands posted:

bangin' screw all the time

texasmed fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 8, 2011

• Locked thread