Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Don't forget everybody, corporate Sprint stores as of today are mail-in-rebate-free. Hurry and take advantage while it lasts! (til April 16)

I've bee. told though that you can't do upgrade swaps with the instant rebates. We, you can but your store eats the rebate. Have you heard differently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

The Optimus S isn't much of an improvement and isn't worth burning an upgrade, in my opinion.Only really a faster GPU. You should try rooting the Hero and installing CyanogenMod7 and overclocking.

Or buy a eBay/Craigslist Optimus and selling the Hero. Might only cost you $50.

That's what I thought. My brothers on the latest CM7 nightly now so that works fine for him.

Would the TEP cover a replacement battery cover on the Hero at least? It doesn't bother him that much, but it bugs the hell out of me (it was my old phone and I still kinda love the thing). I'm kinda hoping it does, if not it's off to eBay/Craigslist or something.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 28, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

That's what I thought. My brothers on the latest CM7 nightly now so that works fine for him.

Would the TEP cover a replacement battery cover on the Hero at least? It doesn't bother him that much, but it bugs the hell out of me (it was my old phone and I still kinda love the thing). I'm kinda hoping it does, if not it's off to eBay/Craigslist or something.

It should cover that assuming the store has one in stock.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
For those of you running CM7 on your Hero, I recently noticed some issues with music playback becoming choppy after about 15 minutes due to memory usage. I switched to AOSP CM7 and it seems to be a much much better rom.

AOSPCMOD

Edit: Make sure to change your CPU governer to OnDemand and bump up the min frequency.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 28, 2011

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

goku chewbacca posted:

The Optimus S isn't much of an improvement and isn't worth burning an upgrade, in my opinion.Only really a faster GPU. You should try rooting the Hero and installing CyanogenMod7 and overclocking.

Or buy a eBay/Craigslist Optimus and selling the Hero. Might only cost you $50.

There's a pretty big difference between a Hero and an Optimus. I bought a Hero on SA Mart here, played with it for about 10 minutes, and even with Cyanogen Mod 7, I just couldn't handle it, it was so terribly slow.

Used Optimus, at least in my area, seem to go from about 125-150, nowhere near $50

Daily Life
Feb 25, 2010

by angerbot

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Since you've never had a smartphone, get the Optimus. It's pretty much the best you can do for baby's first smartphone. The EVO is awesome (I guess the shift probably is too) but since you don't have anything to compare to, you shouldn't have any problems with the Optimus except maybe some typing difficulty with the smallish screen.

Get the Gingerbread Keyboard if you get the Optimus S. Makes the typing a lot easier.

Just want to make sure that the ability to port your Sprint number to Google Voice hasn't happened yet for all users right? I have an LG Optimus S and would like to do this.

Daily Life fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 28, 2011

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

My fiancee wants to get a new phone. We have a family plan with three lines on it (mine, hers, and her mother's). Somehow, when we added her mother's line, something got messed up in Sprint's system, and it changed the "primary line" on our account to her mother's line. That line became eligible for an upgrade under the old Sprint Premier system in October.

I called Sprint about changing the "primary line" back to being my fiancee's line to get her an early upgrade, and they said that they can do it, but it won't take effect until the next billing cycle, which for us would be April 6. The problem that I'm just now noticing is that when the Premier system changes on April 1, we won't be eligible for Premier Gold, since our base plan is only $149.98/mo. Are we going to lose the upgrade eligibility on that line on April 1? Do we need to do an upgrade on her mother's line now, and then ESN swap or whatever to activate the phone on my fiancee's line?

She wants the HTC Arrive, if this matters at all.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Choicecut posted:

For those of you running CM7 on your Hero, I recently noticed some issues with music playback becoming choppy after about 15 minutes due to memory usage. I switched to AOSP CM7 and it seems to be a much much better rom.

AOSPCMOD

Edit: Make sure to change your CPU governer to OnDemand and bump up the min frequency.

I had that problem too and just changed to OnDemand and the problem cleared up without changing builds. I'll check out that rom you linked though, at this point I'm desperate to get every bit of speed out of this phone as I can.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
I've been running that aospCMod since Jan, before the camera worked. It's crazy how much faster it's gotten.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
So what's the deal with my SiriusXM app not working all of a sudden on my Evo 4G, and having to set the http proxy to 0.0.0.0 and port to 0 for it to magically work again? Neither Sprint nor XM had any idea what I was talking about. I found the fix/workaround online. :iiam:

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

diospadre posted:

I had that problem too and just changed to OnDemand and the problem cleared up without changing builds. I'll check out that rom you linked though, at this point I'm desperate to get every bit of speed out of this phone as I can.

I tried switching to OnDemand in CM7 but it didn't fix the problem for me. No idea why, it fixed it in CM6.

EDIT: ARRRG...I JUST REALIZED I DIDN'T ENABLE SET ON BOOT!!!!!!! Oh well, I discovered a better rom in the process.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Daily Life posted:

Just want to make sure that the ability to port your Sprint number to Google Voice hasn't happened yet for all users right? I have an LG Optimus S and would like to do this.

Hasn't happened yet, will probably happen in the next few months.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ozmodiar posted:

You can get a notification of a new voicemail 3 way from Google Voice:

1. Through the Google Voice App. (Which also displays the text transcription, and you can play the voicemail from within the app. No need to "call in" by holding #1 on your dialpad).

2. Via Gmail.

3. Via SMS.

If you have a smartphone, you can do any combination of all 3. If you have a dumbphone, you can still get notification of a new voicemail via SMS, and you can then call in to your Google Voice number and access your voicemail that way.

I've started getting the SMSes now. Pretty cool. For Windows Mobile there is just the web based interface, no app. But it works about the same.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

eightysixed posted:

So what's the deal with my SiriusXM app not working all of a sudden on my Evo 4G, and having to set the http proxy to 0.0.0.0 and port to 0 for it to magically work again? Neither Sprint nor XM had any idea what I was talking about. I found the fix/workaround online. :iiam:

Did you update anything recently? For most of us we had this issue months ago and had to do that same fix to get streaming to work again.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

mophomanners posted:

Ok, someone suggest a plan for this. My ol lady and my 2 kids all need phones with a small bucket. 500 would be more than plenty with mobile to mobile and text interweb would be a plus. What would be the best plan for this? Looking at the plans it would be cheaper to use virgin but, I'd rather not go that way. and dumb text type phone for the kids and a random pos smart phone for her. She has a800w and it looks like it just came out of the box. She's also never had data on it.

Looks like I'll be getting the kids some virgin mobile action as @ 25 bucks a month for unlimited text and inter-web's i can't come close to that anywhere

Anyone have any issues with virgin? ( billing etc. i know about the network)

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

If you already have SERO, hold onto that plan within the grip of your cold, dead hands.

Almost 4 years and counting! Thanks first iteration of this thread!

I can't wait until the Nexus S is released and I get to be a smug jerk with the newest shiny gizmo.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Anyone have an htc hero/broken/parts they want to sell uber cheap? My wife dropped hers and shattered the glass, I need to replace the digitizer.

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 28, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

CharlesM posted:

I've started getting the SMSes now. Pretty cool. For Windows Mobile there is just the web based interface, no app. But it works about the same.

Glad to help. I've been on GV for a long time now, and I'm quite fond of it.

The integration with Android is seriously awesome though...and it was one of the top reasons I switched to Android.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
When I finally convert my number to a GV number, does that mean I can assign my Sprint line with a new number? And I'll be able to take my original number to another carrier, should I so desire, without canceling my Sprint account?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
When I finally convert my number to a GV number, does that mean I can assign my Sprint line with a new number? And I'll be able to take my original number to another carrier, should I so desire, without canceling my Sprint account?

If you do a FULL PORT to Google Voice, it essentially makes Google the "owner" of your number instead of Sprint (like if you ported from Sprint to Verizon, for instance).

Lets say your current Sprint number is 555-555-5555, and you port it to Google Voice. You would then get a new number from Sprint (because any carrier MUST assign a phone number to your ESN number (or SIM card on GSM networks))...lets call this 444-444-4444. So, you would assign 444-444-4444 as one of your forwarding numbers in Google Voice, not bother to give any of your friends/family the 444-444-4444 number, and when people call 555-555-5555, it'll be like nothing ever changed as far as they're concerned.

If you do port your number to GV though, it will instantly cancel your current account with Sprint. It's no different than porting to another carrier.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ozmodiar posted:

Glad to help. I've been on GV for a long time now, and I'm quite fond of it.

The integration with Android is seriously awesome though...and it was one of the top reasons I switched to Android.

I haven't upgraded my phone from a Touch Pro yet. I will when I get back from travel in May. I was hoping the Sprint / Google integration was being released right away so I could sms too, but I can't complain. I set up my laptop to check Gmail.

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

Schadenfreude is so nutritious

Ozmodiar posted:

If you do a FULL PORT to Google Voice, it essentially makes Google the "owner" of your number instead of Sprint (like if you ported from Sprint to Verizon, for instance).

Lets say your current Sprint number is 555-555-5555, and you port it to Google Voice. You would then get a new number from Sprint (because any carrier MUST assign a phone number to your ESN number (or SIM card on GSM networks))...lets call this 444-444-4444. So, you would assign 444-444-4444 as one of your forwarding numbers in Google Voice, not bother to give any of your friends/family the 444-444-4444 number, and when people call 555-555-5555, it'll be like nothing ever changed as far as they're concerned.

If you do port your number to GV though, it will instantly cancel your current account with Sprint. It's no different than porting to another carrier.

I understand how you could arrive at this conclusion, but how on earth could sprint cancel your account AND give your device a new number? Surely its more likely the port request would cancel your account and service. Then you're stuck with your google voice account using your former-sprint number, but no actual cell service to forward calls to.

unless this is what you wanted in the first place?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm talking about the Google Voice integration thing that Sprint announced.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

hoonchops posted:

I understand how you could arrive at this conclusion, but how on earth could sprint cancel your account AND give your device a new number? Surely its more likely the port request would cancel your account and service. Then you're stuck with your google voice account using your former-sprint number, but no actual cell service to forward calls to.

If you do a full port then this is exactly what happens.

This new "Use Sprint through Google Voice" is another story. Using Sprint through GV is just a back-end agreement between Sprint and Google to handle the network traffic appropriately.

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
I'm talking about the Google Voice integration thing that Sprint announced.

Gotcha. We weren't on the same page then.

No, Sprint will not give you a "new number" for your phone, because you are not doing a full port.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

hoonchops posted:

the problem is that he's talking about porting as it exists now, rather than the forthcoming sprint /Google integration. the tech details on that aren't fully known yet, it's only in press release stage at this point.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

WoG posted:

the problem is that he's talking about porting as it exists now, rather than the forthcoming sprint /Google integration. the tech details on that aren't fully known yet, it's only in press release stage at this point.

They've already said that Sprint will maintain control of your existing number though.

EDIT:

Still looking for the article I read that in...but this is a good starter for people interested in this.

https://www.sprint.com/googlevoice

EDIT 2:

From the Sprint Press Release:

quote:

"With this integration, we have made Google Voice simple to use with a Sprint phone," said Dave Girouard, president at Google. "Sprint subscribers now have access to all the benefits of Google Voice behind their existing mobile number without the need for porting or, if they already have a Google Voice number, they can display that number from their Sprint phone without the need for a separate application."

quote:

Sprint is the only carrier that allows the user to assign their existing mobile phone number as their Google Voice number without having to port their number, avoiding porting charges, potential service disruptions and the hassle of calling their carrier to terminate and port their number to Google Voice and then re-subscribe with another number. Sprint’s integration with Google simplifies and shortens the process of moving a phone number to Google Voice to mere minutes.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 29, 2011

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

Kakesu posted:

My fiancee wants to get a new phone. We have a family plan with three lines on it (mine, hers, and her mother's). Somehow, when we added her mother's line, something got messed up in Sprint's system, and it changed the "primary line" on our account to her mother's line. That line became eligible for an upgrade under the old Sprint Premier system in October.

I called Sprint about changing the "primary line" back to being my fiancee's line to get her an early upgrade, and they said that they can do it, but it won't take effect until the next billing cycle, which for us would be April 6. The problem that I'm just now noticing is that when the Premier system changes on April 1, we won't be eligible for Premier Gold, since our base plan is only $149.98/mo. Are we going to lose the upgrade eligibility on that line on April 1? Do we need to do an upgrade on her mother's line now, and then ESN swap or whatever to activate the phone on my fiancee's line?

She wants the HTC Arrive, if this matters at all.

I too am wondering how the new premier changes will affect my current upgrade date, currently it is July 1st, am I gonna have to wait another year?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

St. Blaize posted:

I too am wondering how the new premier changes will affect my current upgrade date, currently it is July 1st, am I gonna have to wait another year?

Yes. It was linked earlier in the thread. Premier changes on April 1st, and if you don't/can't upgrade before then, you're out of luck.

Basically, the general consensus was "it's really lovely of Sprint to not give everyone a "one last upgrade"...but they didn't and there's nothing anyone can do about it".

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST

Ozmodiar posted:

Yes. It was linked earlier in the thread. Premier changes on April 1st, and if you don't/can't upgrade before then, you're out of luck.

Basically, the general consensus was "it's really lovely of Sprint to not give everyone a "one last upgrade"...but they didn't and there's nothing anyone can do about it".

What if I can upgrade on April 1st? I'm the non-primary line on a Premier Silver account, if it matters. Does that mean that the primary line's upgrade (scheduled for June 1st) will just evaporate come April 1st?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

gaan kak posted:

What if I can upgrade on April 1st? I'm the non-primary line on a Premier Silver account, if it matters. Does that mean that the primary line's upgrade (scheduled for June 1st) will just evaporate come April 1st?

It's my understanding that if you're on a Silver Account, the Primary Line will no longer be eligible for the "full upgrade" on a yearly basis.

One of the Sprint guys who frequent the thread will be able to explain it better than I can.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
If I am SERO, am I going to get nailed by these Premier changes as well?

I just upgraded my phone 2 days ago, so if it does hit me, I wont really notice for a long time, but I am kind of curious if it's affecting everyone.

Having a SERO account in that case looks like it would screw me out of any upgrade rebates in the future, since the SERO plans are too cheap.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
OK, since April 1st is quickly approaching, let me see if I can explain the whole Premier upgrade thing a bit better. First things first, visit this site:

https://manage.sprintpcs.com/specialoffers/RebateWelcome.do

After you input your phone number and zip code on the right side, your screen will look one of two different ways. It will either have one date like this:

Or two dates, like this:

If your rebate shows two different dates, your rebate is not changing on April 1st.

If your rebate shows only one date, it will probably change on April 1st, unless you're on an $89.99 base plan (before discounts, before add-ons such as premium data, TEP, etc.) for a single line, or $169.99 base plan for family plans, or have been with the company for over 10 years.

In example A above, it shows that that line will be eligible for the full $150 rebate on July first. Starting friday this will no longer be true. It WILL be eligible for the partial $75 rebate on said date, but the full $150 rebate will be pushed to the 22 month mark, in this example: May 1st, 2012.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Mistikman posted:

If I am SERO, am I going to get nailed by these Premier changes as well?

I just upgraded my phone 2 days ago, so if it does hit me, I wont really notice for a long time, but I am kind of curious if it's affecting everyone.

Having a SERO account in that case looks like it would screw me out of any upgrade rebates in the future, since the SERO plans are too cheap.

These premier changes having nothing to do with you because the SERO plans, given how low they were priced, were not eligible for this whole Premier thing in the first place. So nothing changes for you, it was upgrades every two years before, and will continue to be upgrades every two years.

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST

Mahoning posted:

-helpful stuff-

Ok, it looks like both of the upgrades I was curious about are going to be valid. Is there a time-limit to use an upgrade? I want to wait for the Evo 3D before I burn mine. In the meanwhile, I just bought a used HTC Hero (to replace my 6 year old Katana...) and want to get into rooting. From what I've read, the Hero isn't the most responsive phone in the world, but I figure a mild overclock and a good ROM could go a long way.

Ultimately, anything is a huge step forward from the garbage I have now :)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

gaan kak posted:

Ok, it looks like both of the upgrades I was curious about are going to be valid. Is there a time-limit to use an upgrade?

No, they are there until you use them.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Helpful Information

First, thank you for the information. It is very helpful.

Second, This confirms a suspicion I've had for some time...Sprint has my account screwed up (despite my NUMEROUS attempts to get it corrected), and it looks like I got screwed out of my 1 year upgrade, and my brother got it somehow.

So...here's my problem - My line is supposed to be the primary line on the account. Somehow it got changed to my brothers line between me getting the EVO last June, and him getting his Epic in February. He used to have a Palm Pre, and it was on the fritz, so he asked me when he could upgrade. Without thinking, I quickly logged into the Sprint website, saw he was eligible, and we went to the Sprint store.

Now, according to the website you just linked us to, my phone is eligible for a 1 year upgrade on 6/1/11, and a 2 year upgrade on 4/1/2012...so it seems pretty clear that they screwed up somehow.

My question is - How do I get this fixed? Am I completely hosed on getting my 1 year upgrade in June, or do I have some sort of chance to actually get my 1 year upgrade? Any help would be appreciated, kind sir.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

If it says you get a 1 year upgrade in June and that's what you want what's the problem?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

First, thank you for the information. It is very helpful.

Second, This confirms a suspicion I've had for some time...Sprint has my account screwed up (despite my NUMEROUS attempts to get it corrected), and it looks like I got screwed out of my 1 year upgrade, and my brother got it somehow.

So...here's my problem - My line is supposed to be the primary line on the account. Somehow it got changed to my brothers line between me getting the EVO last June, and him getting his Epic in February. He used to have a Palm Pre, and it was on the fritz, so he asked me when he could upgrade. Without thinking, I quickly logged into the Sprint website, saw he was eligible, and we went to the Sprint store.

Now, according to the website you just linked us to, my phone is eligible for a 1 year upgrade on 6/1/11, and a 2 year upgrade on 4/1/2012...so it seems pretty clear that they screwed up somehow.

My question is - How do I get this fixed? Am I completely hosed on getting my 1 year upgrade in June, or do I have some sort of chance to actually get my 1 year upgrade? Any help would be appreciated, kind sir.

I could see this all being a problem normally, but the point is moot because as of friday, the primary line won't be any different than any other line.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I could see this all being a problem normally, but the point is moot because as of friday, the primary line won't be any different than any other line.

...except I qualify for Gold Status, since I've been a customer for 11 years.

Sorry. I suppose I did completely fail at mentioning that, didn't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

diospadre posted:

If it says you get a 1 year upgrade in June and that's what you want what's the problem?

I think he's confused on one year upgrade. The Premier one-year full upgrade (ie the same discount as a new line on a two year contract) is going away in a few days. The normal one-year upgrade ($75 off and no rebates, which is pretty poo poo) is staying.