Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think he's confused on one year upgrade. The Premier one-year full upgrade (ie the same discount as a new line on a two year contract) is going away in a few days. The normal one-year upgrade ($75 off and no rebates, which is pretty poo poo) is staying.

*sigh*...Obviously my brain isn't thinking things all the way through tonight.

I have Premier Gold status.

The line that should be my primary line is not.

The line that should be eligible for the Premier Gold upgrade in June is listed as my secondary line, and the website that Mahoning just posted confirmed this for me, by telling me I can do the $75 off (1 year upgrade) in June, and the full upgrade ($150 off plus rebates) in April 2012.

Sorry for causing confusion, guys.

EDIT:

And of COURSE my stupidity gets displayed as the first post on a new page. God hates me tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In that case, between that and the fact that you have 11 years with Sprint...your upgrades won't change at all. If you want the Premier one-year upgrade on your line, you'll need to get Sprint to switch which one is primary, and then wait for the next time that upgrade becomes eligible based on when it was used on the other line.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

In that case, between that and the fact that you have 11 years with Sprint...your upgrades won't change at all. If you want the Premier one-year upgrade on your line, you'll need to get Sprint to switch which one is primary, and then wait for the next time that upgrade becomes eligible based on when it was used on the other line.

That's the weird part though -

I got a Palm Pre in June 2009 (same day as my brother), and I got an EVO in June 2010, which means I shouldn't have been eligible for another Premier Gold upgrade until June 2011.

But, since my brother's line got switched over to the Primary line, it somehow made his line eligible for the full Premier Gold (1 year) upgrade and it went through just fine in February 2011. This is 2 months before the "2 year" (22 months) upgrade should have been eligible, and 4 months before the 1 year Premier Gold upgrade should have been available.

What irks me is that unless I can get really lucky, I'm only going to get $75 off the EVO 3D/ Nexus S because Sprint screwed up on my account details and on the upgrade cycle. Yes, it makes me come off as greedy, but it wasn't my mistake to catch, and it really sucks that I will likely not get the upgrade that I should get, and end up paying an assload more money for the new phone I want.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
As far as primary/secondary lines on the account, Sprint's billing system is the absolute worst for it because it pretty much assigns the primary line arbitrarily. This normally wouldn't matter much except that of course, they added the whole premier upgrade thing.

Example: If you have one line on an account thats been on there for 5 years, you meet some chick, get married, and want to add her on and make it a family plan. Unless you actually tell the rep adding the line to go out of his way to be sure that YOUR phone is the primary, the added line will more than likely end up the primary. The reason is it goes by which line had the family plan added to it first, and most reps would add the line, create the family plan, then change the original line to that family plan. Result: YOUR phone is the secondary line, HERS is the primary, even though it JUST got added.

How to fix this? Well, call customer service. Now. Seriously, they can change it but it takes several billing cycles to go into effect.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

That's the weird part though -

Even before Premier I had my account make me eligible way before it was supposed to once, I think due to a warranty swap.

Either way, at this point I wouldn't expect anything better than some line getting to use the Premier one-year upgrade any sooner than one year after it was last used, so Feb 2012.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Mahoning posted:

As far as primary/secondary lines on the account, Sprint's billing system is the absolute worst for it because it pretty much assigns the primary line arbitrarily. This normally wouldn't matter much except that of course, they added the whole premier upgrade thing.

Example: If you have one line on an account thats been on there for 5 years, you meet some chick, get married, and want to add her on and make it a family plan. Unless you actually tell the rep adding the line to go out of his way to be sure that YOUR phone is the primary, the added line will more than likely end up the primary. The reason is it goes by which line had the family plan added to it first, and most reps would add the line, create the family plan, then change the original line to that family plan. Result: YOUR phone is the secondary line, HERS is the primary, even though it JUST got added.

How to fix this? Well, call customer service. Now. Seriously, they can change it but it takes several billing cycles to go into effect.

I'm going to ask around about this at the office tomorrow since I know a few people that work on the billing system, it doesn't make much sense that the host line wouldn't be primary, and especially that it would take several billing cycles to go into effect

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mahoning posted:

No, they are there until you use them.

My eligibility dates are Jan 1 2009 and Nov 1 2009 :)

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mahoning posted:

Stuff...

How can you tell what line is the primary line? Because my wife's line was the primary line for years, and we used it last year to get my EVO. This was because my line last year had a upgrade date of 7/2011 while her line could be upgrade yearly. Now this what the Sprint site has to say:

- wife's line $75 available 7/1/2011, $150 available 5/01/2012

- my line $150 available 7/1/2010

WTF happen? Shouldn't my wife's line still be a full upgrade on 7/1/2011 until after the first of April? & why did my line change? I swear I know what was my upgrades was last year because I wanted a EVO bad. I had to do the old get the phone on wife's line and switch it to mine.

Only thing I can think of is Sprint switched the primary line to mine? If that is true my line's upgrade would change from 7/1/2010 to 5/1/2011 after the first of April, correct?

All I know is I have 5 lines. I upgrade one phone last year and one phone in February. So that means Sprints owes me 3 upgrades this year. I just hope that doesn't get messed up. I want to have the ability to get 2 new phones every year.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 29, 2011

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Insurance question. My wife was played Geared last night, the game had the phone vibrate, and the screen cracked into a spider web like shape. I went to the local Sprint Repair Center and they told me that it would only be covered by Asurion (I have TEP) and that it'd be $100. Which is some BS because I'm assuming the deductible is for dropping it, running it over, hitting it with a hammer, etc. Is there any way around or do I just suck it up and pay?

If I do have to make a claim through Asurion the turn around is 7-10 days for the Evo. How hard is it to have our old Palm put on the account so she has a phone for the next week or so?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

gariig posted:

Insurance question. My wife was played Geared last night, the game had the phone vibrate, and the screen cracked into a spider web like shape. I went to the local Sprint Repair Center and they told me that it would only be covered by Asurion (I have TEP) and that it'd be $100. Which is some BS because I'm assuming the deductible is for dropping it, running it over, hitting it with a hammer, etc. Is there any way around or do I just suck it up and pay?

If I do have to make a claim through Asurion the turn around is 7-10 days for the Evo. How hard is it to have our old Palm put on the account so she has a phone for the next week or so?

Call them up and tell them you want to do an ESN change on the number. It'll take 5 minutes. Or I think you can even do it online from your account.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

CharlesM posted:

My eligibility dates are Jan 1 2009 and Nov 1 2009 :)

Dec 1 2008 and Oct 1 2009 here, the last Sprint subsidized phone I bought was the Mogul I got when I signed up. Thanks to eBaying a TP and then getting a TP2 as a warranty replacement, I've been sitting on an upgrade forever. Kind of wish I had realized it when the EVO was launched, but now with the EVO3D around the corner I'm kind of glad I didn't.

This TP2 is a POS though, Evo3D launch day can't get here soon enough.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Mahoning posted:

Eligibility stuff.

This was super helpful, thank you.

Is anyone else shocked at how useful and seemingly painless this GV backend integration with Sprint is? I'm not used to such a convenient and free feature from a large cell phone company.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Eunabomber posted:

Is anyone else shocked at how useful and seemingly painless this GV backend integration with Sprint is? I'm not used to such a convenient and free feature from a large cell phone company.

Wait, is it active for you now? I thought it was still a few months away.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

gariig posted:

The official answer is 7-10 days due to how hard it is to get them right now and all the delivery uncertainties. If you called today the best case is Friday and worst case is probably next Wednesday.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

plester1 posted:

I thought so too.

Please, do tell.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Does Sprint do a discount for federal employees? Is there any kind of obligation or conditions associated?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

gariig posted:

I went to the local Sprint Repair Center and they told me that it would only be covered by Asurion (I have TEP) and that it'd be $100.
This is a warranty issue, not an insurance issue. Assuming your phone is still covered by the manufacturer warranty (e.g., under a year old).

It's a warranty issue because the screen was defective, it cracked during operation of the device under normal conditions due to internal (not external, which likely isn't covered) mechanical vibration. Unfortunately "proving" such is a bitch, because the result of the flaw is the same that frequently happens as a result of abuse.

Which means, while it might be replaced in the end, it would probably get denied first and you'd have to send a rebuttal letter, and possibly file a small claims suit. Which is a bunch of time wasted, letter writing, small claims filing fee, etc.

Or, since you have TEP, you can pursue it as an insurance claim, but I wouldn't expect the deductible to be waived. In which case it effectively serves as a convenience fee to get the phone replaced relatively quickly with minimal hassle.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Dear Sprint,

My loving PCS Vision user name and password are not incorrect. Actually, I'm not even sure that they exist or that I have the ability to change them, so please stop interrupting my game of Angry Birds every 15 seconds. (Updating profile seems to have fixed it but this poo poo has been happening way too often lately)

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

plester1 posted:

No, not active yet. Maybe I am being foolish and assuming that it will be a smooth rollout.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
Just got the HTC Arrive. I called the Sero number got setup with premium in 1 minute and off and running. Good bye Touch Pro 2 I will miss you... not

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I used to have SERO, after two years upgraded to a Hero and an EPRP plan to allow it. I remember talk that you could go back to SERO from EPRP if you previously had it, am I mis-remembering or too late to do this now?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

diospadre posted:

I used to have SERO, after two years upgraded to a Hero and an EPRP plan to allow it. I remember talk that you could go back to SERO from EPRP if you previously had it, am I mis-remembering or too late to do this now?

Easiest way to find out is to call, I assume.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

For the record, at least for 3rd party this glitch seems to be fixed (finally). Great summary previously of the yearly upgrades, I'll copy and paste that into the op hopefully tonight.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Upside Potential posted:

Just got the HTC Arrive. I called the Sero number got setup with premium in 1 minute and off and running. Good bye Touch Pro 2 I will miss you... not

I have one too and I'm really digging it so far. I showed it to my co-worker for 2 minutes and now he's trying to get Sprint to swap out his Evo Shift for one.

Carnage
Sep 27, 2002
So I can have a cut and dry answer, I currently have a the everything data plan + TEP and a 10% discount. If I were to get on the EPRP, would I basically be saving $10 or would I lose my discount too?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Carnage posted:

So I can have a cut and dry answer, I currently have a the everything data plan + TEP and a 10% discount. If I were to get on the EPRP, would I basically be saving $10 or would I lose my discount too?

Duckman2008 posted:

Corporate discounts like 25% for working at UPS do NOT apply to EPRP.

Not sure how you're getting the 10% discount, but if it's because of your employer you're probably better off staying with your current plan.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
Just ordered an Evo Shift for my wife, via telesales. Back when I got my phone, I was able to have it billed to my account with no mail in rebate, and I wanted to do the same with this one. Her being the secondary line on my account, her phone was eligible for the 22 month, $150 upgrade. While talking with the Indian gentleman named "Robert", he was running down the charges I would see.

"Robert": The phone is normally $399, and with the $150 credit, you will pay $249. (no mention of a MiR)
Me: The phone is $149 on your website.
"Robert": Oh, ok. I will charge you $149 then.
"Robert": It be $12 to ship your new phone.
Me: I don't recall paying for shipping when I bought my phone through telesales back in December...
"Robert": Ok then. I will waive the shipping fee.
Me: :allears:

Was this guy just hoping I wasn't paying attention, or what? He seemed almost kinda like "oops, you caught me!" when I called him on each of those. I'm sure its probably standard practice, but that just bothered me.

SneakyCracker fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 30, 2011

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
When I called telesales to order a Hero for my sister, the woman I talked to was like "Did you see the phone on the website? How much did it cost?" because apparently she could only offer me the cheaper price if I asked for it.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
Corporate-owned Sprint store types: What is a "Technical Consultant" and how hellish is it compared to a normal wireless sales gig? I'm trying very desperately to get out of the hell that is RadioShack and I saw an opening for that job at my local Sprint store.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Corporate-owned Sprint store types: What is a "Technical Consultant" and how hellish is it compared to a normal wireless sales gig? I'm trying very desperately to get out of the hell that is RadioShack and I saw an opening for that job at my local Sprint store.

You would basically be a phone repairman.

!!!!!ECHO ALERT!!!!!ECHO ALERT!!!!!

I got to see and use the Echo today for the first time and to be honest, it's not that bad. I know a lot of the anger about it stems from the whole announcement, but it's a pretty solid phone. If I had to pick a word to describe it though, it would be......awkward. The whole flippy spinny screen is kind of weird and.....awkward. But the phone has a snapdragon processor at it's heart and the software and responsiveness reflect it. It's really the same thickness as an EVO Shift. The unit I was using was not activated so I didn't get to really USE anything on it but I did get to see some of the dual screen programs in action. One cool app was I think called YouQue or something. Basically the top screen plays a youtube video while the bottom screen you can queue up more videos. The hinge is SOLID. Despite the fact that the flippiness is awkward, it does not feel flimsy. This is not a phone that will compete with the EVOs or even Epics of the world but it will sell I think.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Corporate does pay better overall, but there has to be a 3rd party Sprint store hiring, the turnover rate is really high.

Also, look into Cellular Sales. They sell verizon and have ridiculous commission rates. I'm considering switching at some point because it is so much higher.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
My wife moved from the old f&c 1500 to the 69.99 a few months ago. Would it be too late to call the SERO number and see if I can switch her to the SERO Premium plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thisdude23 posted:

My wife moved from the old f&c 1500 to the 69.99 a few months ago. Would it be too late to call the SERO number and see if I can switch her to the SERO Premium plan?

Probably too late, but Its always worth a try.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably too late, but Its always worth a try.

Eh, I'll give it a shot. She has an Optimus and is cool now, but I'm thinking more along the lines of when she switches her phone down the road.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thisdude23 posted:

Eh, I'll give it a shot. She has an Optimus and is cool now, but I'm thinking more along the lines of when she switches her phone down the road.

Let us know how it goes so i can update it in the OP.

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
I'm switching from AT&T. If I get on an EPRP contract, do I still get a discount on a phone? I'm thinking I might get the Evo if I can. Also, will I have to pay the $10 per month smart phone fee on an EPRP plan?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Gumball Dad posted:

I'm switching from AT&T. If I get on an EPRP contract, do I still get a discount on a phone? I'm thinking I might get the Evo if I can. Also, will I have to pay the $10 per month smart phone fee on an EPRP plan?
Yes, you get the phone subsidized when you sign up with a new 2-year contract. Yes, you will have to pay the $10 smartphone fee.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
Well I just ordered a Shift since I don't think I can wait till 1 Jan to switch from my Hero.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

thisdude23 posted:

I dropped my SERO to get an EVO last year, was on EPRP Family for about five months, and was able to split the family plan back into two SERO Premium lines. And one of the lines was never even SERO to begin with - I opened it in July of last year.

I just went online to the chat and tried about ten different reps before I got what I wanted. Lay it out like "I was previously on SERO, changed to blah blah in order to get this phone, found out that SERO Premium exists now and I'd like to change my line back to that pls".

Several reps seemed to have an issue, because they would try to put me back on regular SERO and of course it was a no go because of my EVO. So make sure they understand you want to be put on SERO Premium.

edit: I called in once for a try and got an immediate denial, so I kept trying online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got an email last night from Sprint/Google Voice that I could switch my number, so I did. It looks like texts I send from the text messaging up show up in Google Voice, and when people respond, I get a notification from Google Voice, but they never show up in my messaging inbox. I'm not sure how to configure Google Voice to send messages from my Sprint number instead of my GV number.