Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Mahoning posted:

How to fix this? Well, call customer service. Now. Seriously, they can change it but it takes several billing cycles to go into effect.

Well, I emailed them instead of calling them, so at least I'd have a record.

It looks like it might (finally) be solved...though this is the 3rd or 4th time I've brought this up. All previous attempts were via phone.

So, since things got flipped around once and allowed both lines on my account to upgrade within the last year, here's to hoping that I'll get lucky and switching this back will enable me to keep my upgrade after all.

FISHMANPET posted:

I got an email last night from Sprint/Google Voice that I could switch my number, so I did. It looks like texts I send from the text messaging up show up in Google Voice, and when people respond, I get a notification from Google Voice, but they never show up in my messaging inbox. I'm not sure how to configure Google Voice to send messages from my Sprint number instead of my GV number.

Hopefully Sprint/Google get around to rolling this out to me soon then...

I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Is it possible to add a new line on a new plan without signing a new two year contract? I currently have a phone on a month to month SERO plan, and want to add a new phone for my mom without committing to a two year anything.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Heffer posted:

Is it possible to add a new line on a new plan without signing a new two year contract? I currently have a phone on a month to month SERO plan, and want to add a new phone for my mom without committing to a two year anything.

No.

I had a friend who was in a bad situation, and I tried to help them out, but Sprint wouldn't let me do anything without a new two-year contract.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Let me clarify one thing, you CAN get a no-contract line, but there is only one plan available: $39.99 for 200 minutes, no free mobile to mobile, 9pm N&W

Heffer
May 1, 2003

So what's the best carrier to go for a month-to-month or prepaid on?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Heffer posted:

I think the best deal going is the $25 Unlimited Plan from Virgin Mobile.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Heffer posted:

I'd go Virgin Prepaid. 1200 minutes Unlimited Text/Web for $40 a month. Or if you can get by with 300 minutes it's $25.

If Sprint text routing goes haywire on me again(for the 6th time) I'm going to probably cancel with Sprint and switch to Virgin.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

Let me clarify one thing, you CAN get a no-contract line, but there is only one plan available: $39.99 for 200 minutes, no free mobile to mobile, 9pm N&W

Isn't that the 29.99 plan?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

I got an email last night from Sprint/Google Voice that I could switch my number, so I did. It looks like texts I send from the text messaging up show up in Google Voice, and when people respond, I get a notification from Google Voice, but they never show up in my messaging inbox. I'm not sure how to configure Google Voice to send messages from my Sprint number instead of my GV number.

To answer the MMS question, it looks like all texts get routed through GV and show up in the GV App/GV site, but MMS still goes to the default app. Not sure how any of this would work on a phone without the GV app. It seems to be missing the crucial feature (which were described in the initial introduction) of setting your sprint number as the GV number (unless I'm missing the setting somewhere).

E: Do you guys have "Caller ID (Outgoing) in the settings > calls menu? Not sure if I remember having it before or not. I'm not really sure what it's supposed to do, but it might change the number I send texts "from."

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 1, 2011

ConsumerWhore
Aug 14, 2003
And how!
I read all about the premiere changes that would be effective as of today but I'm still surprised that they changed my existing available upgrade. I can't upgrade now until early September. I'm hoping that if I'm nice to a customer service rep when the Evo 3D comes out that I'll still be able to upgrade and not have to wait for my upgrade to become available again.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ozmodiar posted:

Hopefully Sprint/Google get around to rolling this out to me soon then...

I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Me too!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Isn't that the 29.99 plan?

Yes and no. it's the same as the 29.99 plan but it's more expensive because it's no contract.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm planning a vacation to Canada later in the summer, and I'm wondering about texting/roaming charges. From what I've read, since I have unlimited texting I won't be charged anything for texting to people with Canadian numbers, or to anyone while in Canada, but there is a fee for calling someone who is in Canada, or calling someone while I am there. Is this correct?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

There's a Canada Roaming Plan you can add to your account for under $3 per month.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Steve Moore posted:

There's a Canada Roaming Plan you can add to your account for under $3 per month.
As I recall, the math works out such that if you're going to spend at least five minutes during the entire trip calling back to the US, it's cheaper to use the roaming plan. Since it's easily activated/deactivated online I would definitely pick it up.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I'll keep that in mind. I'm going up there for almost a month, so that would be worth the $3.

What about texting? Am I going to have a nasty surprise on my bill this month, since I've been texting my friends up there trying to sort it all out?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat
If I were to add another line either through sprint or a third party like Wal-Mart or Best buy is there any penalty for taking the new phone and swapping it to another line as long as I keep the new line active?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

decoy octopus posted:

If I were to add another line either through sprint or a third party like Wal-Mart or Best buy is there any penalty for taking the new phone and swapping it to another line as long as I keep the new line active?

I done it before. It was as easy as calling Sprint for 10 minutes once I got him to swap phones.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

A Bad Poster posted:

I'll keep that in mind. I'm going up there for almost a month, so that would be worth the $3.

What about texting? Am I going to have a nasty surprise on my bill this month, since I've been texting my friends up there trying to sort it all out?

It is not only $3/month. It is a ton worse than that.

"Traveling to Canada? For only $2.99 per month all calls placed from Canada are only $0.20 per minute."

Traveling internationally, it is almost always better to buy a prepaid phone and a SIM from a local carrier if you're going to be there for very long. That and use Skype whenever you can.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Yeesh, I glazed over that $0.20 a minute. I rarely use minutes ever though, I'm mainly worried about texting.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

A Bad Poster posted:

Yeesh, I glazed over that $0.20 a minute. I rarely use minutes ever though, I'm mainly worried about texting.

According to this from the sprint community forums, texting to Canada doesn't cost you anything, but texting from Canada will run you $0.20 a text.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

McPhearson posted:

According to this from the sprint community forums, texting to Canada doesn't cost you anything, but texting from Canada will run you $0.20 a text.

Well that's a relief for now. I've got until August to figure out what I'm going to do while up there, so I'm sure I'll find something reasonable.

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
I've decided to switch from AT&T (currently off contract) to Sprint. Please help me out here.

Phones: I'm leaning towards the Evo or maybe the Evo Shift. Is getting one of these at this time a good idea or would you recommend buying a dumbphone off eBay and wait for the Evo3D? Aside from the 3D and camera stuff, is it going to be enough of a leap forward to justify waiting? And what about the Nexus S and it's Google integration? Should I consider it, too?

Plans: I want to get on the $59.99 EPRP plan and get as many discounts as possible. I know I can get 10% off from my school and then $125 credit for porting my number from AT&T. What other discounts are available?

Lastly, I'm confused about the process of actually signing up and getting the phone. I'd like to buy the phone from Amazon since it's $119 with a new contract there, but am not sure if I can if I get an EPRP plan. After I sign up for the plan, where and how can I get the discounted phone?

I really need some help here. I need to get this done before the 9th when my new billing cycle begins with AT&T. I'd really appreciate any advice I can get.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
You can't get any additional discounts with an EPRP plan(or order through Amazon.)

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
Yeah, it seems like timing makes your choices limited. I am thinking of just purchasing the 3D out right. You might have a few more options. Maybe the best and cheapest would be to get a phone port your number onto something like boost or virgin mobile for two months then get the 3D on the EPRP beginning of June. Which if you think about it is only 65 days away until the 4th which is when they launched the Evo last year.

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad

atomicvocabulary posted:

Yeah, it seems like timing makes your choices limited. I am thinking of just purchasing the 3D out right. You might have a few more options. Maybe the best and cheapest would be to get a phone port your number onto something like boost or virgin mobile for two months then get the 3D on the EPRP beginning of June. Which if you think about it is only 65 days away until the 4th which is when they launched the Evo last year.

Yeah, but would it really be worth it? I'm a heavy user of any hardware, but is there enough of a reason to hold out? Also temporarily switching to Virgin would be a fine idea except that the Optimus costs $200 and I'm not sure I'd be able to recoup much of that loss two months from now by selling it on craigslist.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Gumball Dad posted:

Yeah, but would it really be worth it? I'm a heavy user of any hardware, but is there enough of a reason to hold out? Also temporarily switching to Virgin would be a fine idea except that the Optimus costs $200 and I'm not sure I'd be able to recoup much of that loss two months from now by selling it on craigslist.
At this point, if you need to switch now, it'd probably be best to buy a cheap Sprint phone from Craigslist or eBay and upgrade in June when the EVO 3D (probably) comes out. Even if you don't think the 3D is worth it, the original EVO should be pretty cheap at that point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

datajosh posted:

At this point, if you need to switch now, it'd probably be best to buy a cheap Sprint phone from Craigslist or eBay and upgrade in June when the EVO 3D (probably) comes out. Even if you don't think the 3D is worth it, the original EVO should be pretty cheap at that point.

You might be able to find the original evo in craigslist for $250, which would keepbyour upgrade for whenever the hell you next want to buy a phone.

In other news, tried out the echo today, and to basically repeat what mahjoning said, it's not horrible. The hinge is actually fairlly good. I'm pretty sure if this was HTC, had dual core and 4g people it would be a hit. That being said, it meets none of those requirements. At least its better than the zio.

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
I guess I'm stuck with AT&T for another month since my new billing period begins in one hour. God drat it. Another month on a fried iPhone3G with 400 minutes for $100+.

toybux
Feb 15, 2002

fuck you
i'm a quarterback
What is the return procedure like for a phone bought through Telesales? I haven't activated it, just changed my mind and want to switch phones. How does the return shipping work?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Resorted to perusing craigslist to see if I can trade my :downs:epic:downs: for an Evo while I wait until October upgrade time.

I swear my job is making me ultra-loving-paranoid about doing any kind of business on the internet. I sold a couple things on ebay last week and spent two hours playing internet detective because the guy's email TLD didn't match the address he wanted it shipped to.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

toybux posted:

What is the return procedure like for a phone bought through Telesales? I haven't activated it, just changed my mind and want to switch phones. How does the return shipping work?

Call and have them send you a return kit for the old one, if you getting a different new phone have then send that as well. They usually charge the full amount for the phone on the bill until they receive the other phone back in inventory (then they refund the difference). Possible $35 restock fee.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
To add to news, it looks like the Nexus S for Sprint launches in April. I'm not sure if its the training that launches April 18th, the device or both, but Sprint is having a April sales contest for the Nexus, so its def April.

Also, a phone called the Samsung Replenish (likely a dumbphone) is launching in April.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

To add to news, it looks like the Nexus S for Sprint launches in April. I'm not sure if its the training that launches April 18th, the device or both, but Sprint is having a April sales contest for the Nexus, so its def April.

Also, a phone called the Samsung Replenish (likely a dumbphone) is launching in April.

Probably one of the sustainable phones (Reclaim, Restore, Remarq).

But for a second there I was thinking that portrait android with a keyboard that was leaked a few months back.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Gumball Dad posted:

Another month on a fried iPhone3G with 400 minutes for $100+.
They don't prorate the final bill? Sounds deceptive.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Mahoning posted:

But for a second there I was thinking that portrait android with a keyboard that was leaked a few months back.

Has there been a word about that since? I was semi-interested in it, even though it's Samsung.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

Has there been a word about that since? I was semi-interested in it, even though it's Samsung.

Not that I have seen or heard. Just that leaked picture, then nothing.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So I'm torn right now. I'm currently using my almost 2 yr old Palm Pre that randomly shuts down on me and the battery just barely gets through the day. I want to switch to Android but I'm torn on what to get. I like the Nexus S as I'd get the updates from Google as opposed to Sprint/Manufacturer, but I also like the look of the Evo 3d. Is there really going to be a need for a dual core phone?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

god this blows posted:

Is there really going to be a need for a dual core phone?

E-peen bragging rights at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

god this blows posted:

So I'm torn right now. I'm currently using my almost 2 yr old Palm Pre that randomly shuts down on me and the battery just barely gets through the day. I want to switch to Android but I'm torn on what to get. I like the Nexus S as I'd get the updates from Google as opposed to Sprint/Manufacturer, but I also like the look of the Evo 3d. Is there really going to be a need for a dual core phone?

Yes. Do you want things to happen faster?

I mean, is there a need for dual core computers?