Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Free credit monitoring for everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Something maybe good? Apple tv + for a year for free coming this week!

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/apple-tv-plus-deal

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
There's an Amazon prize wheel today, good luck! I won $5 last time but nothing today.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Harminoff posted:

Something maybe good? Apple tv + for a year for free coming this week!

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/apple-tv-plus-deal

I got this, I'm on SWAC - and it stacked on top of the 6 months I got for having a PS5! Woo!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So do we get any iPhone incentives, or should I look forward to shelling out 700?

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So do we get any iPhone incentives, or should I look forward to shelling out 700?

I would be surprised if there aren’t some decent trade-in deals to get people off Sprint and over to T-Mobile via the Move to Magenta project. That said, there hasn’t been any internal news yet on expected promotions for the new iPhones but they are really trying to entice the switch over so I bet we see something very soon.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm on an iPhone SE 2016 though (YOSPOS BITCH!!!) so I'm assuming trade-in deals won't do much for me.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I dunno what incentives you might get.

I tried to switch from Tello (Sprint MVNO that I've mentioned here before) to the Metro by T-Mobile $25 a month plan. I did qualify for that but I didn't qualify for a nice phone because my trade in was from Sprint/T-Mobile.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

$700? Don’t you mean $1100? :smug:

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

I'm on an iPhone SE 2016 though (YOSPOS BITCH!!!) so I'm assuming trade-in deals won't do much for me.

Looks like you might be able to get up to $400 towards a new iPhone 13 for the SE trade-in, all depends on various eligibility requirements. New promos will go live on Friday. This is just for Sprint, no clue what T-Mo is doing over on their side, but again I would be shocked if they don't sweeten the pot to try and get you to move off the Sprint biller over to the T-Mo side.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

puppy party posted:

Looks like you might be able to get up to $400 towards a new iPhone 13 for the SE trade-in, all depends on various eligibility requirements. New promos will go live on Friday. This is just for Sprint, no clue what T-Mo is doing over on their side, but again I would be shocked if they don't sweeten the pot to try and get you to move off the Sprint biller over to the T-Mo side.
I think that's for the SE2, not the old school SE I bought off SA-mart.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

puppy party posted:

I’m waiting to see if I get another “0 dollar a month lease” offer with a buyout at the end like I did for my 11, but that was pre-merger and before adding EPRP into the mix. Even then, the 13 is kind of a yawner and not worth paying for unless you’re in need of an upgrade.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

I think that's for the SE2, not the old school SE I bought off SA-mart.

Double-checked this morning and OG SE can get up to $400... if it's currently on lease and you're turning it in early. I don't think there are any promos running that will give you a decent trade-in promo towards any of the 13's. Does look like there is a promo for up to $400 for the OG SE if you go for a 11/Pro/Max or SE GEN 2. Looks like the best that I see out there for the old SE but honestly there are a ton of promos trickling out and I haven't had a lot of time to keep track of them. Keep in mind these are both Sprint specific and technically won't be out in the wild until tomorrow. I don't know the full extent of what T-Mo is offering to entice migrations. Might just be worth a call/online chat to see what pops for you via the offer tool.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It seems like they are pressing pretty hard for me to switch to "Sprint Select" or "Magenta MAX", whatever that is. Idk, it's really loving hard to push past the marketing material on phone plans. There really ought to be a government-mandated "nutrition facts" label of each phone plan to tell you what it actually offers and for how much money, but on the other hand, telecoms lobbyists.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

It seems like they are pressing pretty hard for me to switch to "Sprint Select" or "Magenta MAX", whatever that is. Idk, it's really loving hard to push past the marketing material on phone plans. There really ought to be a government-mandated "nutrition facts" label of each phone plan to tell you what it actually offers and for how much money, but on the other hand, telecoms lobbyists.

Sprint Select is how they take you from the Sprint billing system into the T-Mo billing system and put you on T-Mo for good. Magenta Max is the top of the line unlimited plan for T-Mo. They have a full breakdown of everything included in it under the "plans" section of the T-Mo website.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

puppy party posted:

Sprint Select is how they take you from the Sprint billing system into the T-Mo billing system and put you on T-Mo for good. Magenta Max is the top of the line unlimited plan for T-Mo. They have a full breakdown of everything included in it under the "plans" section of the T-Mo website.

I don't generally consider myself stupid, but I am confused by their plans.
Right now I still have sprint sims, and sprint plan.
I'm basically going to have to lose my old service plan to get an iphone 13, aren't i?
Right now I have 3 lines (originally it was the 2 lines for $100 unlimited iphone plan. They did the "free line for life" deal to add the 3rd one for $5 in taxes monthly)
Their plans site reads that they do the pricing for 3 lines, with the 3rd line free? So Magenta Max it says is like 47/line but it also says $140/mo. How is that 3rd line free?
Are they saying it's actually $70/mo for 2 lines and they average it down to 47? Cause that's a huge price spike over what im paying now...

Also, would I lose my free hulu?

otter fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 17, 2021

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

otter posted:

I don't generally consider myself stupid, but I am confused by their plans.
Right now I still have sprint sims, and sprint plan.
I'm basically going to have to lose my old service plan to get an iphone 13, aren't i?
Right now I have 3 lines (originally it was the 2 lines for $100 unlimited iphone plan. They did the "free line for life" deal to add the 3rd one for $5 in taxes monthly)
Their plans site reads that they do the pricing for 3 lines, with the 3rd line free? So Magenta Max it says is like 47/line but it also says $140/mo. How is that 3rd line free?
Are they saying it's actually $70/mo for 2 lines and they average it down to 47? Cause that's a huge price spike over what im paying now...

Also, would I lose my free hulu?

Sprint = Hulu
T-Mo = Netflix

If you migrate off Sprint you lose Hulu. You also can’t go back to Sprint. Period, donezo. I am fairly certain that migrating allows you to carry over the free lines, but I’m not 100% on that. So then you just get the normal charges for lines 1-2 which are the expensive ones anyway. I can try and take a closer look when I’m back online on Monday and see if I can scrape up some info about the free lines and how they are handled in migration and what that pricing should look like.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Do they have Prime because that is like the biggest benefit to Sprint right now.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What plan should I choose if I don't give a poo poo about any of the extras other than paying the least amount possible for cell service/data and an iPhone 13?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

puppy party posted:

Sprint = Hulu
T-Mo = Netflix

If you migrate off Sprint you lose Hulu. You also can’t go back to Sprint. Period, donezo. I am fairly certain that migrating allows you to carry over the free lines, but I’m not 100% on that. So then you just get the normal charges for lines 1-2 which are the expensive ones anyway. I can try and take a closer look when I’m back online on Monday and see if I can scrape up some info about the free lines and how they are handled in migration and what that pricing should look like.

Is it some special version of Netflix with different restrictions than the regular one? I’ve had my same Netflix account since like 2009 and I don’t want to lose the ability to watch on several devices at once.

I’m nervous about the switchover.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

LorneReams posted:

Do they have Prime because that is like the biggest benefit to Sprint right now.

I’ve avoided the switch on the website, but this is a very good question.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

otter posted:

Is it some special version of Netflix with different restrictions than the regular one? I’ve had my same Netflix account since like 2009 and I don’t want to lose the ability to watch on several devices at once.

I’m nervous about the switchover.

It's the standard netflix, so 1 screen, but there is an addon in your T-mo account to pay $5 to get premium.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Given everything else posted I'm guessing once we switch over we lose Tidal? I just started getting use to that and I'd be bummed to lose.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

LorneReams posted:

Metro by T-Mobile has Prime on their $60 unlimited plan.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
Going back over a few things that were asked. I'm not exactly the guy for all of the migration and T-Mo stuff as it's not my dept and I don't have access to a lot of that stuff, but I'll do what I can do dig through what's available to help out. So much of it is targeted offers based off your account/eligibility/etc and what may be available to one person may not be available to all based off whatever weird promo eligibility exists. If you contact the normal care team and let them know you are interested in talking about migrating, they can put you in touch with the migration team who can run you through all that stuff.

Free Lines Migrating - Doesn't look like they do but I could be wrong. Looks like there is a promo running for people w/ 3 paid lines can get one free when they migrate the entire account to a qualifying plan on T-Mo. I'd chat with the migration team to see what can be done/what's being offered.

Amazon Prime - Not being offered in plans by T-Mo.

Tidal - Not being offered in plans by T-Mo.

Netflix - check https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans for info on how many screens/what version they provide based off what plan/how many lines.

Best Pricing - If you are on Sprint, talk with the migration team about that tbh. Seems like promos are wylin' right now to get people to move over.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Thanks for the info, just one question- which I think applies to a ton of people here: What happens to sero/advantage plans after the transition if you know?

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Thanks for the info, just one question- which I think applies to a ton of people here: What happens to sero/advantage plans after the transition if you know?

My understanding is that when that hammer drops, the party is over. Unless you can get added to a T-Mo employee’s personal account, you’re kind of at the mercy of standard or promotional pricing like everyone else.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Oof. Well definitely running this plan down to the wire then, and then probably jumping ship.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Since only whitelisted devices are still allowed on Sprint plans, my suspicion is that they're just going to stop adding devices to it. So even if you're already on T-Mobile service, you'll be forced to switch to a T-Mobile plan to use new devices in the future. I just picked up a Pixel 5a, so it's probably 3-4 years for me if they don't force everyone off by then.

Otherwise I don't know if/how they can straight-up switch plans on you if you do literally nothing. I'm sure their T&Cs give them the authority to do that though.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

ive been trying to do a web chat to find out what my migration options are and so far my conclusions are:
The t-mo website is terrible and unstable causing disconnects and
The t-mo / sprint (especially) agents don't know how to tell me info and just want me to go into a brick and mortar store.

further developments:
The agent is telling me I can get $600 trade in for each my iphone 7 and 7 plus, and $400 trade in for my iphone 6 plus. Not "up to" but actual amounts. This seems too good to believe.

otter fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 21, 2021

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

corgski posted:

Oof. Well definitely running this plan down to the wire then, and then probably jumping ship.

Yup, just before the merger I did the free T-mobile tryout and the signal here sucks. Losing the price and benefits seals the deal.

Edit: I just called the Sprint EPRP/Sero/Advantage support line and yeah, they had no answers for me at all about price/benefits moving to a Tmobile account, but he did want to send me a T-Mobile sim very badly. He also said that I could use the new sim, and switch back to my Sprint sim if I didn't like that but that doesn't sound like something Sprint is capable of so it's going in a drawer.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 21, 2021

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Edit: I just called the Sprint EPRP/Sero/Advantage support line and yeah, they had no answers for me at all about price/benefits moving to a Tmobile account, but he did want to send me a T-Mobile sim very badly. He also said that I could use the new sim, and switch back to my Sprint sim if I didn't like that but that doesn't sound like something Sprint is capable of so it's going in a drawer.

T-Mobile has sent me two SIM cards over the last couple months and they're just sitting on my shelf. I'm not installing that. I'm happy being able to use whatever is left of the Sprint Network as well as T-Mobile.

I have the Samsung S9 and I am perfectly happy with this phone. It's still fast enough to run everything I need. If I had to I would just buy used S9 off eBay or something if I have problems with this one.

I'm going to be a Sprint plan squatter for life!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

moolchaba posted:

T-Mobile has sent me two SIM cards over the last couple months and they're just sitting on my shelf. I'm not installing that. I'm happy being able to use whatever is left of the Sprint Network as well as T-Mobile.

I have the Samsung S9 and I am perfectly happy with this phone. It's still fast enough to run everything I need. If I had to I would just buy used S9 off eBay or something if I have problems with this one.

I'm going to be a Sprint plan squatter for life!

They'll have to pull my SWAC from my cold, dead hands! I'm dead because I fell in an area with no reception

I'm going to have to get a new phone this year and I'm not looking forward to the activation dance. I got a Pixel 3 most recently and it was ridiculously hard to get a sim card for it, and when I finally did the phone was defective so they made me get a new sim card with the exchanged phone, starting all over again.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Medullah posted:

I'm going to have to get a new phone this year and I'm not looking forward to the activation dance.
I recently bought an open market (that is, from Google) Pixel 5a and did a "Sprint" eSIM activation on it and it, surprisingly, couldn't have been smoother.

I turned on the phone, connected it to WiFi, did the "Sprint" network activation. It asked me for my phone number, PIN, and the number of the line I wanted to swap. Then it automatically activated on T-Mobile (TNX).

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

This morning I finished the ordering of the new phones for 2 lines on Sprint. The web customer service guy said I don't have to change my plan at all ($115/mo for 3 lines taxes included, unlimited everything aside from reasonably limited tethering) and I don't have to "leave sprint".

So here's something I have a question on. As of January 2022 they will shut down the sprint CDMA network.
Does that mean LTE will remain active and I don't have to replace my iphone 6plus (sprint edition) that I use on my "free line" which is basically a placeholder for when my oldest kid gets old enough to need a phone? At this point he basically uses it for Pokemon Go and stuff on occasion.
If I have to replace it, what is the lowest iPhone I can get and keep service on the phone?

edit: after struggling with the online chat they finally told me either sprint or tmo versions will work. eesh. 4g connectivity will continue for all devices, but cdma will not.

otter fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 22, 2021

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
One way to check would be to go to the Sprint site and try to upgrade the device on that line. If you select one of the "free" (Android) 5G devices (the Samsung Galaxy A32, the OnePlus Nord N200, or the T-Mobile Revvl V+) and it tells you it's still free even if you indicate you don't have a device to trade in then it probably will not work after the CDMA shutdown. (Normally you need to trade in a device to get the deal but customers with devices that require CDMA can get the deal without a trade.)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
As someone on the Sprint plan, let me tell you that if you do any traveling abroad, you're locked into 2G speeds unless you pay an additional 5 dollars a day/25 dollars a week for intermittent 4G w by ere a T Mobile magenta would comfortably provide 5G. It's been a frustrating experience.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

If I do any international travel, it will be because I won the lottery and I’ll gladly pay more for it.
With my kids the extent of international travel is going to the Taco Bell drive through.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

All I care about with regards to international coverage is the free Mexico/Canada 4G data that comes with SWAC. If I were going anywhere else I’d just buy a prepaid SIM when I land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It took a couple of reboots on my phone in Paris for it to pick up the international data but once I had it it was solid for the whole time I was there. New Zealand was first try to pick up amd super solid all over the north island.