Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ozmodiar posted:

HAHA. Oops. Was the Q9x (or whatever the gently caress the "updated" Q was called) WinMo 6? Maybe I'm thinking of that.

EDIT:

Binge just posted this over in the Rooted thread.

I thought I'd ask here to see if any of the Sprint-people can comment on the linked article...

I have already seen official Sprint emails on attempts to not validate warranty on rooted phones (they dropped it because the method was not foolproof), and the author is pretty much spot on that carriers are definitely playing cat and mouse. This has been going on for years (just look at tethering with the iPhone on ATT), and in the end it sucks.

It sucks, but carriers see it as an unauthorized usage of their network, and unless a federal agency jumps in they will continue to do poo poo like this. In the end they hold the cards to what I can see: they determine what phones get released with what locks, and they have a contract signed with pretty much everyone saying unauthorized tethering voids your contract.

The only defense for the carriers is that a lot of people are aware of how to get free tethering at this point. The argument that only geeks do it I have found to be false. Its still ridiculous to block it in my opinion.

Edit: just saw what chappy posted. All I can really say is I have seen an email to the contrary, but in the end this is not my best area of expertise or what I deal with daily. Chappy, curious if you can elaborate?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Duckman2008 posted:

I have already seen official Sprint emails on attempts to not validate warranty on rooted phones (they dropped it because the method was not foolproof), and the author is pretty much spot on that carriers are definitely playing cat and mouse. This has been going on for years (just look at tethering with the iPhone on ATT), and in the end it sucks.

It sucks, but carriers see it as an unauthorized usage of their network, and unless a federal agency jumps in they will continue to do poo poo like this. In the end they hold the cards to what I can see: they determine what phones get released with what locks, and they have a contract signed with pretty much everyone saying unauthorized tethering voids your contract.

The only defense for the carriers is that a lot of people are aware of how to get free tethering at this point. The argument that only geeks do it I have found to be false. Its still ridiculous to block it in my opinion.

Edit: just saw what chappy posted. All I can really say is I have seen an email to the contrary, but in the end this is not my best area of expertise or what I deal with daily. Chappy, curious if you can elaborate?

It's literally an M&P that went into effect today. It should be on RSP.

Furril
Apr 26, 2003

by Ozmaugh
did anyone have an employee referral?

My email is Furril@gmail.com

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

kalibar posted:

I've heard a lot of negativity about the Epic specifically, but the better question is why were people buying it in the first place?
A hardware keyboard is still vastly superior to on-screen for ConnectBot/ssh, but on-screen is perfectly fine if not preferable for everything else (in my opinion). Since an ultra-portable ssh-capable device is pretty high on my priority list, I still seek out hardware keyboards. Although I suppose if the day comes where every phone that has a hardware keyboard is guaranteed to suck, I'll have to reevaluate that.

In any event, the keyboard on the Epic is actually pretty good. I prefer it to the G2's keyboard, although the Shift's inclusion of a d-pad (or whatever) makes up for most I dislike about the G2. The problem with the Epic's keyboard is that Samsung completely hosed up the driver for it, in ways that only Samsung can. Which is rather amazing, given that embedded hardware keyboards pretty much all use the same design, and there's plenty of well written embedded keyboard drivers in Linux. So they had to try fairly hard to gently caress it up.

The real answer to your question is that I bought an Epic before the Shift was announced. With Sprint carrying a well-received non-Samsung hardware keyboard alternative, the Epic is probably an unwise choice to make today.

The Entire Universe posted:

After multiple different ROM flashes I still don't have working GPS on this thing.
So the Epic definitely had widespread GPS issues in DI18. The official Froyo releases EB13 seems to have solved the GPS woes for most Epic owners. At least, getting locks is fairly reliable and quick.

You're not alone though in having GPS issues, there is a minority of folks who report this. I don't know if it's a hardware issue that only affects a minority of units, or if there is (or was) a software bug that could effectively poison it.

Did you ever install the DK28 Froyo leak? I'm suspicious that had something to do with it.

Edit: Ugh, it looks like EC05 might have broken GPS again. I had assumed that since it seemed to be "really fixed" in EB13 it would stay that way. Of course, this is Samsung.

SneakyCracker posted:

Anybody got any good recommendations on ROMs?
I'd start with SyndicateROM Frozen with the Twilight Zone Kernel. It's probably the most comprehensive in terms of bug fixes and community enhancements and developed by folks who seem to have a clue. Although I just run a slightly-modified stock ROM myself.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 5, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Furril posted:

did anyone have an employee referral?
Use the link to Russ McGuire's blog in the OP.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd start with SyndicateROM Frozen...
From that thread... What Is Carrier IQ? Why Should We Care?

quote:

Carrier IQ is a software package buried deep within Android by Samsung at the behest of Sprint.

Carrier IQ sits in the middle of, and "checks" the data of, SMS and MMS messages. It listens for and receives every battery change notifications. It hooks into every web page you view, and every XML file your device reads. It receives every press of the touch screen. It 'sees' what you type on the physical keyboard. It reads every number you press in the dialer. It can track which applications you use, what 'type' they are, how often, and for how long. It hooks into data sent and received.

Here's the most important part (tl;dr): the Carrier IQ service is a drain on battery life and performance. ACS noticed a significant rise in Smartbench scores and overall system 'snappiness' after Carrier IQ's removal. In addition, with it removed, ACS team lead rjmjr69 saw 30 hours of battery life, with heavy use, on the stock battery.
Samsung products just keep getting better and better.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

td4guy posted:

So it makes sense to have an instrumentation platform on your handsets to aid in discovering/debugging network issues. I'm guessing that Carrier IQ started out as a platform to collect signal strengths, battery life, and aggregate usage information, but somehow unintentionally morphed into something of a much greater privacy concern.

It's not as fatal as the xda folks make it sound, since it doesn't appear that Sprint is actively collecting any of the concerning things. Although I still don't like the idea of it.

Also, carriers can already observe all your SMS/MMS, HTTP, phone calls, without any device instrumentation. Key logging, HTTPS, or app usage statistics is a bit more unfortunate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chappy posted:

That's awesome.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

td4guy posted:

Sounds pretty obviously like Sprint's malware to me, Samsung's just the executioner (in this instance).

Not that the latter party is "innocent" by any stretch; there's blood on everyone's hands.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chappy posted:

It's exactly the opposite of what Sprint's policy just became. We are supposed to attempt to re-flash approved software first, and if the problem still happens, to swap the phone out.

Wait, is this basically implicit coverage if you break your device while/by rooting, if you have TEP?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Wait, is this basically implicit coverage if you break your device while/by rooting, if you have TEP?

What he is saying is that TEP covers anything that can happen to the phone, including root and custom roms. So yes.

Will add to the op soon.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

td4guy posted:

Why do you assume that Carrier IQ is only on Samsung devices?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

kalibar posted:

Sounds pretty obviously like Sprint's malware to me, Samsung's just the executioner (in this instance).

Not that the latter party is "innocent" by any stretch; there's blood on everyone's hands.
Yeah, it's not just Samsung, if you check the running processes on the EVO, Carrier IQ is there too, just called something like HTC IQAgent instead.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Anyone else been having service problems lately? My phone has not had service in almost 48 hours now and I have no idea what the deal is.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chappy posted:

It's exactly the opposite of what Sprint's policy just became. We are supposed to attempt to re-flash approved software first, and if the problem still happens, to swap the phone out.

I doubt it's because of them being the "good" carrier, although I want to believe they're going to be the more friendlier carrier that plays dumb pipe instead of playing the content provider/ISP game that cable companies play.

The systems and measures VZW and ATT are possibly working on, I'll believe it when I see it, cost some serious money as well as customers. They've already admitted their networks are overloaded by going with tiered data, and now they're going for the kill by telling you how you can use your overpriced 2 GB of data and your phone.

Sprint can just be cool about stuff, not spend the money, not piss people off, and just be an ISP. They're presenting an actual alternative to the duopoly for business reasons/saving their butts. I doubt it works, most people are stupid and will pay a lot for very little because "oooohhh the iphones!!!!", but at least it's something.

It will be interesting to watch the Android community migrate from T-Mobile to Sprint over the next year. I know it's not a big group but I'm interested to see if it's noticeable over the next few quarters.

Blakkout posted:

Anyone else been having service problems lately? My phone has not had service in almost 48 hours now and I have no idea what the deal is.

Just going to take a guess, your radio died or something in your phone is messed up.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

ExcessBLarg! posted:

A hardware keyboard is still vastly superior to on-screen for ConnectBot/ssh, but on-screen is perfectly fine if not preferable for everything else (in my opinion). Since an ultra-portable ssh-capable device is pretty high on my priority list, I still seek out hardware keyboards. Although I suppose if the day comes where every phone that has a hardware keyboard is guaranteed to suck, I'll have to reevaluate that.

In any event, the keyboard on the Epic is actually pretty good. I prefer it to the G2's keyboard, although the Shift's inclusion of a d-pad (or whatever) makes up for most I dislike about the G2. The problem with the Epic's keyboard is that Samsung completely hosed up the driver for it, in ways that only Samsung can. Which is rather amazing, given that embedded hardware keyboards pretty much all use the same design, and there's plenty of well written embedded keyboard drivers in Linux. So they had to try fairly hard to gently caress it up.

The real answer to your question is that I bought an Epic before the Shift was announced. With Sprint carrying a well-received non-Samsung hardware keyboard alternative, the Epic is probably an unwise choice to make today.

So the Epic definitely had widespread GPS issues in DI18. The official Froyo releases EB13 seems to have solved the GPS woes for most Epic owners. At least, getting locks is fairly reliable and quick.

You're not alone though in having GPS issues, there is a minority of folks who report this. I don't know if it's a hardware issue that only affects a minority of units, or if there is (or was) a software bug that could effectively poison it.

Did you ever install the DK28 Froyo leak? I'm suspicious that had something to do with it.

Edit: Ugh, it looks like EC05 might have broken GPS again. I had assumed that since it seemed to be "really fixed" in EB13 it would stay that way. Of course, this is Samsung.

I'd start with SyndicateROM Frozen with the Twilight Zone Kernel. It's probably the most comprehensive in terms of bug fixes and community enhancements and developed by folks who seem to have a clue. Although I just run a slightly-modified stock ROM myself.

This guy knows what he's talking about. I also use ssh a bunch on my phone, and the hardware keyboard is vastly superior for that, especially for tab completion and symbol access.

My wife and I both have Epics, and we both love them. Neither of us has had issues with the GPS, it seems very fast to me, getting locks in about 3 seconds, and we've done stock ROMs and custom ROMs. Now we are both on SyndicateROM, and that ROM basically seems perfect.

I really don't get what all the hate is about, I can see the argument that Samsung is slow to release updates, but this is what custom ROMs are for... it's not like I want an official ROM anyway, with all the crap they bundle with it.

I find it funny how the EVO is considered the best phone, but I find the thing way too large and sharp-cornered to keep in the pocket, and it's even too big to hold (full disclosure, I'm 5'7" and wife is 5'4").

Eyecannon fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 5, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Eyecannon posted:

I really don't get what all the hate is about, I can see the argument that Samsung is slow to release updates,
If the only issue with Samsung devices were horribly delayed updates, the situation wouldn't be that bad.

The problem is that every software build for the Epic has been buggy. DI18 (Eclair) was the most bug-free build we've had to date, and even that had some pretty serious GPS issues.

While EB13 got the GPS right, it seriously hampered 3G data speeds, broke the Camcorder, seriously decreased hardware keyboard responsiveness, broke G-sensor calibration, broke Bluetooth, etc. This is on top of OTA update issues (changed Contacts schema with no data migration, broke Calendar sync, broke Gallery cache, etc.) that were significant enough for it to be pulled.

EC05 fixed the 3G data speed issue, Camcorder, and semi-fixed Bluetooth. However, the hardware keyboard responsiveness issues weren't addressed despite being fixed by community devs, G-sensor calibration is still broken, and Bluetooth still has A2DP device disconnect bugs. Worst of all, it now appears that the GPS has regressed, and the cache invalidation issue has resurfaced.

The hate revolves around the fact that, seven months after the device was released, bugs that were present on day one are still present. Either never having been fixed, or were previously fixed and regressed. Samsung is not alone in suffering this problem, but they seem to suffer a disproportionate number of them. That's why folks refuse to buy Samsung anymore.

I'm glad you're happy with your Epic. I'm relatively content with mine as well. The new GPS issues are obnoxious, but other than that, the device works well enough in its present form that I'm satisfied with it. It's Samsung and their practices I'm less satisfied with. Also, keep in mind that while you might not notice, be bothered by, or otherwise suffer well-known bugs, they're still very real and they still affect lots of folks.

That said, I'm still willing to purchase a Samsung device in the future, but I'd have to see a radical shift of their device quality and development processes. So I won't be the guinea pig who tests the next generation Samsung phone first.

Eyecannon posted:

but this is what custom ROMs are for...
While it's great that custom ROMs address some of the bugs & issues with Samsung devices, it's really unfortunate that we have to resort to hacking the devices to make them work right. It's inexcusable.

Besides custom ROMs aren't a panacea. They still rely on stock ROM components, so there won't be any GB custom ROMs until at least a GB stock ROM is leaked. The CyanogenMod port is the closest we're going to get to GB on the Epic before Samsung does something. But short of a herculean reverse engineering effort, it won't be fully featureful. GPS and WiMAX are unlikely to work for quite some time.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 5, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Eyecannon posted:

Tthis is what custom ROMs are for...

Exactly... oh poo poo, this isn't the WinMo thread.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Eyecannon posted:

I find it funny how the EVO is considered the best phone, but I find the thing way too large and sharp-cornered to keep in the pocket, and it's even too big to hold (full disclosure, I'm 5'7" and wife is 5'4").

At first I was going to say I guess it is just a matter of taste, but after playing with the Nexus S I really like the size of that more than the EVO. Still I don't find the EVO too big at all to hold. Full disclosure I'm 6ft 180, but I have big hands (I wear size 13 shoes). My wife who is 5'4" likes the size of it also (wow that can be taken different ways), but I am willing to bet once she plays with the Nexus S she will like it better. If anything I wish the EVO was thinner and lighter.

Also is this Carrier IQ thing in the Nexus S since it is the Google phone?

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

... WiMAX are unlikely to work for quite some time.

That's true for all phones except in a few select markets.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

nate fisher posted:

At first I was going to say I guess it is just a matter of taste, but after playing with the Nexus S I really like the size of that more than the EVO. Still I don't find the EVO too big at all to hold. Full disclosure I'm 6ft 180, but I have big hands (I wear size 13 shoes). My wife who is 5'4" likes the size of it also (wow that can be taken different ways), but I am willing to bet once she plays with the Nexus S she will like it better. If anything I wish the EVO was thinner and lighter.

Also is this Carrier IQ thing in the Nexus S since it is the Google phone?

Is this the same thing as IQ Agent Service? Because that's running on my LG Optimus.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
If you are male and the EVO is too big for the pocket on your jeans then you are wearing girls jeans.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is the 4G map on sprint.com accurate at all? Because assuming it is accurate means my phone's 4G antenna is a POS.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

Is the 4G map on sprint.com accurate at all? Because assuming it is accurate means my phone's 4G antenna is a POS.

Not really. My friends house in Orlando is well inside the "should get signal inside a building" coverage area, but he can only get a 4G signal on his Evo if he's standing outside, and it's not like there's much topography in Florida to throw their maps accuracy off.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Totally TWISTED posted:

Not even slightly, take its coverage area as showing places where you might get 4g service sometimes.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
He has to go outside because the wavelength that Sprint owns does not have good building penetration.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007

heat posted:

He has to go outside because the wavelength that Sprint owns does not have good building penetration.

Yeah, I know, but the coverage map has different keys for "in-building" and "on-street" coverage. His house is in the "in-building" coverage area, but he can't actually get signal inside a building. It's a wood frame, one story, single family dwelling.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

sanchez posted:

Not even slightly, take its coverage area as showing places where you might get 4g service sometimes.
Figured that, thanks for the confirmation.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
At least Sprint's maps aren't as bad as Clear's maps. According to Clear's maps, there's a tower right near my office, but I can't even get signal standing on the office roof.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Chappy posted:

Well, that's good news.

Does this mean that it's not a "requirement" for me to flash back to stock if I have a problem anymore?

td4guy posted:

Use the link to Russ McGuire's blog in the OP.
From that thread... What Is Carrier IQ? Why Should We Care?

Well, this doesn't make me happy to see. Has anyone reached out to Sprint to ask why?

900ftjesus posted:

I doubt it's because of them being the "good" carrier, although I want to believe they're going to be the more friendlier carrier that plays dumb pipe instead of playing the content provider/ISP game that cable companies play.

The systems and measures VZW and ATT are possibly working on, I'll believe it when I see it, cost some serious money as well as customers. They've already admitted their networks are overloaded by going with tiered data, and now they're going for the kill by telling you how you can use your overpriced 2 GB of data and your phone.

Sprint can just be cool about stuff, not spend the money, not piss people off, and just be an ISP. They're presenting an actual alternative to the duopoly for business reasons/saving their butts. I doubt it works, most people are stupid and will pay a lot for very little because "oooohhh the iphones!!!!", but at least it's something.

This is pretty much how I feel about Sprint, down to the last word...and one of the top reasons I'm still a Sprint customer.

And "oooh! the iPhones!" is the reason why most of my friends are on AT&T/Verizon.

900ftjesus posted:

It will be interesting to watch the Android community migrate from T-Mobile to Sprint over the next year. I know it's not a big group but I'm interested to see if it's noticeable over the next few quarters.

I hadn't even thought about this. Hopefully it'll not only be a boost to Sprint's customer base, but it'll mean more aftermarket support for Sprint phones.

heat posted:

If you are male and the EVO is too big for the pocket on your jeans then you are wearing girls jeans.

Even then, my 5'9" 115 lb girlfriend can fit my EVO in her pocket...

Seriously, if you're male and you can't fit the EVO in your pocket, it's time to buy grownup pants.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Maybe people don't like phones that take up their entire pocket and look like a loving brick is in there?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

Maybe people don't like phones that take up their entire pocket and look like a loving brick is in there?

Doesn't bother me and doesn't look or feel that way to me. To each their own.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Ozmodiar posted:

Well, that's good news.

Does this mean that it's not a "requirement" for me to flash back to stock if I have a problem anymore?

Yep.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Chappy posted:

Yep.

Score.

What's funny is that every Sprint rep I've talked to in the last year in a store had a rooted phone anyhow...haha.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

TLG James posted:

The EVO is half an inch thick. You can barely even notice it in your pocket unless you have tight, tiny pockets.

Anyway, apparently Kalamazoo, MI (specifically around Western Michigan University) has had 4g for almost a month and I'm just now finding out about it. Unfortunately I'm about five miles away in Portage and I can't seem to get anything.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Ozmodiar posted:

Score.

What's funny is that every Sprint rep I've talked to in the last year in a store had a rooted phone anyhow...haha.

Yep, that's how my store is.

Here's how I handled it in the first place. If your phone was rooted, but you had some sort of physical problem, not related to rooting, IE, blown speaker, bad mic, cracked screen, etc, I'd fix or replace your phone.

If you came to me with weird loving software problems and you rooted your phone, and brought it to a sprint store still loving rooted, I'd laugh at you and tell you go home and post on XDA to figure your problem out.

Now I have to flash it back for you, then you get to go try it again. Not a big deal.

Chappy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 6, 2011

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

A quick questions for those familiar with Blackberries on Sprint. My fiance is going to be replacing her older Curve 8330 with a Tour 9630 that a friend gave to her. Now the 9630 uses a SIM card while the Curve does not, and they took out the sim card before giving it to her. Will I have to go into Sprint for a new SIM card, or will the phone work without one? She doesn't need the world function of the phone, and I was hoping all I'd have to do is activate it online, but I want to be sure I'm taking the necessary steps before accidentally causing her to be without a phone for however long.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Protip posted:

A quick questions for those familiar with Blackberries on Sprint. My fiance is going to be replacing her older Curve 8330 with a Tour 9630 that a friend gave to her. Now the 9630 uses a SIM card while the Curve does not, and they took out the sim card before giving it to her. Will I have to go into Sprint for a new SIM card, or will the phone work without one? She doesn't need the world function of the phone, and I was hoping all I'd have to do is activate it online, but I want to be sure I'm taking the necessary steps before accidentally causing her to be without a phone for however long.

It only uses a SIM for international travel. If you don't plan on traveling with it, it will work fine without the SIM.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm considering switching to Sprint and getting a Nexus S 4G in June when my AT&T contract ends. Anyone in the DC area have experience with their service?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Chappy posted:

It only uses a SIM for international travel. If you don't plan on traveling with it, it will work fine without the SIM.

That's what I figured, but my Googling wouldn't turn up an answer. Thanks for the quick response!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
How does Google Voice do SMS? Will it be more reliable and on time then regular SMS?