Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Drevoak posted:

How does Google Voice do SMS? Will it be more reliable and on time then regular SMS?

This summed it up pretty well for me:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-beta-testing-google-voice-integration

quote:

Hello,
You have been invited to start enjoying the benefits of the Sprint integration before anyone else! We are interested in your feedback as we roll this out to the entire user base and have listed an email address below where you can send feedback and or questions.
There are two ways to enable the integrated service:
1. Option 1: Keep your Sprint number (all the benefits of porting without the need to). In this case, your Sprint number becomes your Google Voice number so that when people call your Sprint mobile number, it rings all the phones you want.
How to enable this: click on the "change/port" link next to your GV # in the settings page, choose the option to use your existing number, enter your Sprint number and select the Sprint option.
2. Option 2: Replace your Sprint number with your Google Voice number (all the benefits of the app without the need for one). In this case, all calls made from your Sprint phone will display your Google Voice # natively (same for SMS).
How to enable this: click on the "enable Google Voice on your Sprint phone" link next to your Sprint forwarding phone. If the link does not show, click on edit and use the link to verify whether your phone is eligible.
In both cases, Google Voice replaces Sprint voicemail (pressing one on your phone links you to your Google Voicemail) and international calls made from the Sprint phone will be connected by Google Voice. Integrating your account with Sprint means you will still get the benefits of Any Mobile Any Time if that is included in your service plan.
Important Notes:
The integrated service only works with a valid Sprint mobile number.
For this early release, Sprint support channels will not be available for support, including Sprint Retail Stores, Sprint Customer Care, Sprint Telesales, Sprint Direct Sales Reps, etc.
If you need support, please direct your questions/comments to voice-sprint-preview@googlegroups.com with your Sprint or Google Voice number listed.
If you use the Google Voice app on Android, you will need to log out and log back in to make sure the app stops using call interception.
Thanks,
Vincent Paquet, on behalf of the Google Voice team
© 2011 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043
You are receiving this email announcement because you requested to be notified when the Sprint integration was available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Anyway, apparently Kalamazoo, MI (specifically around Western Michigan University) has had 4g for almost a month and I'm just now finding out about it. Unfortunately I'm about five miles away in Portage and I can't seem to get anything.

Where did you hear about this? The coverage map doesn't show 4G, and I am standing right by that hideous statue outside Wood Hall and I am not getting 4G.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

zeek40 posted:

At least Sprint's maps aren't as bad as Clear's maps. According to Clear's maps, there's a tower right near my office, but I can't even get signal standing on the office roof.

if its on clear's map there's a tower

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

naughty_penguin posted:

Where did you hear about this? The coverage map doesn't show 4G, and I am standing right by that hideous statue outside Wood Hall and I am not getting 4G.

pretty sure the wmu site is active..

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

naughty_penguin posted:

I got a text from a friend who heard about it so I googled it and theres a thread on XDA discussing it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1020086

edit: p.s. is that the gay orgy statue? I haven't been there in a couple year.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got the early in for the GV/Sprint integration, and today I received my first short code message. I don't get an email notification (I'm guessing I only get notifications for messages sent to my GV number, and not my Sprint number). The text shows up in my GV app, but not in the built in SMS app.

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I got a text from a friend who heard about it so I googled it and theres a thread on XDA discussing it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1020086

edit: p.s. is that the gay orgy statue? I haven't been there in a couple year.

Haha indeed it is. I guess I will try wandering around campus a little bit more and see what happens.

E: Wow that XDA thread went to poo poo really fast.

naughty_penguin fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 6, 2011

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

naughty_penguin posted:

Haha indeed it is. I guess I will try wandering around campus a little bit more and see what happens.

I don't know if the WiMax tower is actually on campus but if it is it's probably on Sprau Tower. Try somewhere over by the library.

Of course if you can't even get it outside of Wood, then I doubt it'll ever be strong enough to get into Portage.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know if the WiMax tower is actually on campus but if it is it's probably on Sprau Tower. Try somewhere over by the library.

Of course if you can't even get it outside of Wood, then I doubt it'll ever be strong enough to get into Portage.

I'd say its probably on the campus..:ssh:

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

This summed it up pretty well for me:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-beta-testing-google-voice-integration

That doesn't exactly explain much. I am going to guess that instead of SMSs going from "sender to carrier to other carrier to receiver", with GV they go from "sender to carrier to other carrier to GV to receiver"?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

mophomanners posted:

Are you keeping secrets from us? What do you know about Kalamazoo WiMax?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

Score.

What's funny is that every Sprint rep I've talked to in the last year in a store had a rooted phone anyhow...haha.

Guilty.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you keeping secrets from us? What do you know about Kalamazoo WiMax?

It's alive and well?...:tipshat:

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

mophomanners posted:

It's alive and well?...:tipshat:

How does Kalamazoo, MI get WiMax before Toledo, OH?

naughty_penguin
Oct 9, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure clearwire is headquartered in Grand Rapids, MI which is like 45 minutes away from Kzoo.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

mophomanners posted:

Can you tell me about the Clear 4G rollout in Scranton, PA? I think its still a test market because its not listed in the list of WiMax cities. Sprint's coverage map denies its existence, but Clear's map is, of course, a gross exageration and doesn't show the tower locations.

Also, are you a Clear tech, or do you work on Sprint's CDMA/EvDO network as well? Despite Scranton being the 'region capital' of the former third party iPCS network (or probably because iPCS severely neglected it), EvDO coverage outside of the central cities and Interstate 81 corridor is non-existant. Can I expect much of the 1x network to be converted to EvDO, or will Network Vision focus more on backhaul?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

FISHMANPET posted:

I got the early in for the GV/Sprint integration, and today I received my first short code message. I don't get an email notification (I'm guessing I only get notifications for messages sent to my GV number, and not my Sprint number). The text shows up in my GV app, but not in the built in SMS app.
Which option did you pick?

I've tried to explain my question before, but I'll try it again...

I have a Sprint number, say 222-555-1212, and a Google Voice number, say 333-777-2323. All of my friends have my Sprint number and all of my coworkers have my GV number. When I make a phone call, I can pick whether or not to make the call using Sprint or GV. SMS is a little more convoluted, but similar situation there.

I want to take advantage of all the Google Voice features for my Sprint number. I'd love to be able to say that calls to 222-555-1212 will also ring other numbers, and all that other cool poo poo. But I do not want to lose my existing GV number, either, since that's effectively my work phone. What I do not want is for 333-777-2323 to become my primary phone number.

Sooooo... if I already have a GV number, and I choose to port my Sprint number in, will I lose 333-777-2323? Will I end up with two GV numbers? How will I manage settings for each phone number?

This is my dilemma.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Ozmodiar posted:

How does Kalamazoo, MI get WiMax before Toledo, OH?
It's a spectrum protection site it is build for wide area coverage not for saturation.

naughty_penguin posted:

I'm pretty sure clearwire is headquartered in Grand Rapids, MI which is like 45 minutes away from Kzoo.

clearwire is HQ's in Kirkland WA.

goku chewbacca posted:

Can you tell me about the Clear 4G rollout in Scranton, PA? I think its still a test market because its not listed in the list of WiMax cities. Sprint's coverage map denies its existence, but Clear's map is, of course, a gross exageration and doesn't show the tower locations.

Also, are you a Clear tech, or do you work on Sprint's CDMA/EvDO network as well? Despite Scranton being the 'region capital' of the former third party iPCS network (or probably because iPCS severely neglected it), EvDO coverage outside of the central cities and Interstate 81 corridor is non-existant. Can I expect much of the 1x network to be converted to EvDO, or will Network Vision focus more on backhaul?

Scranton is again one tower built not built for saturation.

No I sometimes work with the Ericsson people but not on a daily basis and I do not personally work on the cdma or iden networks.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.

mophomanners posted:

It's a spectrum protection site it is build for wide area coverage not for saturation.

What's a "spectrum protection site"? Is that just some kind of frequency squatting intended to gently caress over companies interested in actually providing service there?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/06/sprint-evo-view-4g-tablet-to-launch-with-honeycomb-flyer-cant/

Apparently the EVO View will, in fact, ship with Honeycomb. Honeycomb covered in Sense, which seems a little weird to me, but not really surprising.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

brc64 posted:

Which option did you pick?

I've tried to explain my question before, but I'll try it again...

I have a Sprint number, say 222-555-1212, and a Google Voice number, say 333-777-2323. All of my friends have my Sprint number and all of my coworkers have my GV number. When I make a phone call, I can pick whether or not to make the call using Sprint or GV. SMS is a little more convoluted, but similar situation there.

I want to take advantage of all the Google Voice features for my Sprint number. I'd love to be able to say that calls to 222-555-1212 will also ring other numbers, and all that other cool poo poo. But I do not want to lose my existing GV number, either, since that's effectively my work phone. What I do not want is for 333-777-2323 to become my primary phone number.

Sooooo... if I already have a GV number, and I choose to port my Sprint number in, will I lose 333-777-2323? Will I end up with two GV numbers? How will I manage settings for each phone number?

This is my dilemma.

Not sure about that. I did the thing where I still use my GV number as my GV number, and since activating it the other way means clicking "change/port my GV number" I'm little leery of testing it out myself.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

zeek40 posted:

What's a "spectrum protection site"? Is that just some kind of frequency squatting intended to gently caress over companies interested in actually providing service there?

Unless I'm mistaken, other companies shouldn't be able to provide service on a spectrum that another company owns. So I feel like that shouldn't be possible

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Not sure about that. I did the thing where I still use my GV number as my GV number, and since activating it the other way means clicking "change/port my GV number" I'm little leery of testing it out myself.
So what happens if somebody calls your (former?) Sprint number? Is that number just dead now?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I haven't had anyone call my number, but I can receive texts at that number, though they go into the GV app instead of the messaging app (unless it's an MMS,then it goes into the messaging app). Any texts I make come from my GV number, and I'd imagine calls do as well.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zeek40 posted:

I would guess it's to establish radio presence where there's a geographical neighbor who licenses the same spectrum. Even though ideally there's no interference between the two, there will inevitably be some interference in practice.

By establishing presence now, Sprint/Clear can monitor if/when said neighbor causes too much interference and ask them to alter their power levels or antenna directions. Similarly, said neighbor will be aware of the amount of interference they receive from Sprint/Clear and deal with it accordingly instead of it coming as a surprise later when Sprint/Clear ramps up their deployment in that area.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
A spectrum protection site is built so sprint doesn't lose the spectrum holding. Once you have spectrum the FCC gives you so long to start using it. These towers are in place so sprint doesn't lose the spectrum.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.

Chappy posted:

A spectrum protection site is built so sprint doesn't lose the spectrum holding. Once you have spectrum the FCC gives you so long to start using it. These towers are in place so sprint doesn't lose the spectrum.

OK, so it's just a way to circumvent the spirit of the law FCC ruling, while obeying the letter.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
I'm a little confused. I got a family everything data and 2 smart phones on this plan with no 4g, what happens if one of the family plan users with a smart phone already buys a new smartphone like a evo and grabs 4g with it. Am I going to have to pay that $60 4g data plan individually added on to what I'm paying now?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

jaku78 posted:

I'm a little confused. I got a family everything data and 2 smart phones on this plan with no 4g, what happens if one of the family plan users with a smart phone already buys a new smartphone like a evo and grabs 4g with it. Am I going to have to pay that $60 4g data plan individually added on to what I'm paying now?

You will pay a $10 "premium data fee" for any new smartphone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jaku78 posted:

If you have the Everything Data plan for any new smartphone (3G or 4G) it is an extra $10 a month. The $60 plan you are talking about is the mobile broadband plan, which is if you get a device specifically for internet on your computer, not a phone at all.

Assuming you have either the $109.99 EPRP or $129.99 regular everything data plan, worst case scenario is both lines upgrade to newer smartphones the plan goes up $20 a month.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wish I got invited to the google voice integration beta!

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

zeek40 posted:

OK, so it's just a way to circumvent the spirit of the law FCC ruling, while obeying the letter.

I'm not sure it's circumventing anything. It takes time to build out a network.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

How does the phone upgrade discount work, exactly? I'm on SERO and eligible for a $150 discount off a phone with a 24-month contract extension. It also says my plan won't change until the phone is activated on my line. Can I purchase a phone with my discount and activate it on another line without any consequence to mine (besides the 2-year extension)?

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah you can do that, but you won't get your mail in rebate.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I'm wishing they would announce when the Nexus S and EVO 3d are coming out. I really want a new phone and hate waiting.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Chappy posted:

Once you have spectrum the FCC gives you so long to start using it.
Oh dear, I should've expected something so simple.

They don't do that for auctioned spectrum do they? I don't think Verizon deployed anything in their AWS allocations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

god this blows posted:

I'm wishing they would announce when the Nexus S and EVO 3d are coming out. I really want a new phone and hate waiting.

Nexus S should be out April 18th if the rumors are right.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

TLG James posted:

Nexus S should be out April 18th if the rumors are right.

If they're right then I will more than likely be ditching my Palm Pre. I don't know I can wait till some time in June/July for a new phone.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

god this blows posted:

I am about ready to throw my Touch Pro at a wall. The screen is acting up, the camera doesn't work and now it's apparently calling my boss at random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

sonicice posted:

I am about ready to throw my Touch Pro at a wall. The screen is acting up, the camera doesn't work and now it's apparently calling my boss at random.

Well my Pre sometimes lets me answer calls and sometimes it doesn't. That and at work today I didn't play with my phone but it lost 40% battery and we have a Sprint tower I can see from my window at work.