Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

Chappy posted:

Yeah you can do that, but you won't get your mail in rebate.

The $150 discount appears to be instant. There's nothing that mentions a mail-in rebate anywhere (looking at the Evo Shift @ $399 -$150 upgrade -$100 instant = $149).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Ah yeah, right now is the instant rebates thing. If there were a mail in rebate, you wouldn't get it.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Chappy posted:

Ah yeah, right now is the instant rebates thing. If there were a mail in rebate, you wouldn't get it.

Is this a recent change? I ordered a phone upgrade on one line in December and activated it to another and got the rebate no problem.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Nevermind.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Has anyone heard when the EVO might be back in stores instead of having to order them when buying?

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.

Chappy posted:

I'm not sure it's circumventing anything. It takes time to build out a network.

Yeah, it does, and apparently the FCC dictated a timeframe that they deem acceptable between the purchase of spectrum and the deployment of services to that spectrum. Throwing up one tower that doesn't really cover anything seems like it's just a way of extending that timeframe indefinitely without actually living up to the intended obligation of doing something useful with that spectrum.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zeek40 posted:

Throwing up one tower that doesn't really cover anything seems like it's just a way of extending that timeframe indefinitely without actually living up to the intended obligation of doing something useful with that spectrum.
Does that tower service some customers? Yes? It's useful!

Seriously though, I'm not sure what your point is. Sprint/Clear isn't sitting on 2.5 GHz and doing nothing with it, they're engaged in a national deployment with one of the partners being seriously cash strapped. As a result, it's taking a bit longer than anticipated.

What's a better alternative? For Sprint/Clear to give up that spectrum? Is someone else going to pick it up in their place and deploy services in it sooner? Services you can utilize?

This isn't like Verzion, who held, and is currently holding the most attractive AWS licenses in the Northeast and deployed jack squat in it much to T-Mobile's detriment.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Aredna posted:

Has anyone heard when the EVO might be back in stores instead of having to order them when buying?

The corporate store near me has them, remember that the order of stores to get phones that are having a shortage goes corporate them 3rd party. Do you really need the evo now though? I would recommend holding out for the evo 3d, you can turn off the 3d and its dual core.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Does that tower service some customers? Yes? It's useful!

Seriously though, I'm not sure what your point is. Sprint/Clear isn't sitting on 2.5 GHz and doing nothing with it, they're engaged in a national deployment with one of the partners being seriously cash strapped. As a result, it's taking a bit longer than anticipated.

What's a better alternative? For Sprint/Clear to give up that spectrum? Is someone else going to pick it up in their place and deploy services in it sooner? Services you can utilize?

This isn't like Verzion, who held, and is currently holding the most attractive AWS licenses in the Northeast and deployed jack squat in it much to T-Mobile's detriment.

My point was that a "spectrum protection site" seems like it's just the bare minimum requirement that they must meet to avoid forfeiting their claim on the spectrum rather than an indication of any actual network development. I'm sure everyone else is doing it too, I was just trying to figure out the reasoning behind throwing up one tower in a region they have no intention of providing actual coverage to in the near future.

And I'd say yes, it would be a better alternative for consumers if the FCC would cancel their claim on the spectrum and make it available to others if whoever owns the spectrum doesn't make use of it within a reasonable timeframe. That way Verizon couldn't pull the poo poo they did in the northeast.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zeek40 posted:

My point was that a "spectrum protection site" seems like it's just the bare minimum requirement that they must meet to avoid forfeiting their claim on the spectrum rather than an indication of any actual network development.
Sigh. Let me reiterate: Sprint & Clear are engaged in a national service rollout. They've been developing, selling, and heavily marketing handsets to customers with the capability to use this service. This is not all without significant cost. The very fact they've done this, and in some regions have put up "token" service radios is evidence of network development. Just not at the rate that everyone would prefer.

zeek40 posted:

I was just trying to figure out the reasoning behind throwing up one tower in a region they have no intention of providing actual coverage to in the near future.
Have you heard of Network Vision? I would say that Sprint has every intention of providing actual coverage as soon as is feasibly possible for them to do so. Again, they're not intentionally sitting on their asses here.

zeek40 posted:

And I'd say yes, it would be a better alternative for consumers if the FCC would cancel their claim on the spectrum and make it available to others if whoever owns the spectrum doesn't make use of it within a reasonable timeframe.
You didn't address my previous questions. In this particular case, do you think that the better alternative would be for the FCC to slap Sprint and revoke their licenses in these regions?

If you honestly believe that another US carrier, which mind you, none of which have 2.5 GHz-capable anything handsets currently in the hands of customers, can develop and deploy service in this spectrum sooner than Sprint/Clear, then I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of exactly how long service deployment takes.

zeek40 posted:

That way Verizon couldn't pull the poo poo they did in the northeast.
Except that, if the band-in-question required "spectrum protection sites", Verizon would be forced to develop AWS-capable handsets. And if they're going to do that, then they will actively develop that spectrum. Since they weren't forced to do anything, they did nothing.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Where the gently caress did this come from?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-07/at-t-verizon-required-by-u-s-to-share-networks-for-mobile-data-traffic.html

And what does it mean for Sprint consumers, if anything? Does it mean we'll finally get EVDO roaming on Verizon's network? Does it mean that Sprint will stop caring if >50% (or whatever) usage is roaming? This is crazy, and seems to have come out of nowhere.

Rkikzza
Sep 5, 2007

cross posting in the android help thread, but this is getting to be a major annoyance.

I'm having an agitating problem with me evo, over the last few days the sync has been locking up when running automatically. The sync icon is up and if I go into accounts and sync its pretty random which accounts haven't been syncd. I've stopped syncing every account one at a time and it hasnt changed anything, yesterday I was almost certain it was my exchange calendar so I went so far as to delete every calendar entry and recreate them, but the problem persists. However if I go in and cancel the sync and hit sync all now it works as expected. Has anyone experienced this before, or have any idea on what I can try next?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

brc64 posted:

Where the gently caress did this come from?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-07/at-t-verizon-required-by-u-s-to-share-networks-for-mobile-data-traffic.html

And what does it mean for Sprint consumers, if anything? Does it mean we'll finally get EVDO roaming on Verizon's network? Does it mean that Sprint will stop caring if >50% (or whatever) usage is roaming? This is crazy, and seems to have come out of nowhere.

I'm pretty sure it means EVDO on Verizon's network. I'm also pretty sure Verizon will find a way to throttle that poo poo, regardless whether or not it's legal.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

heat posted:

I'm pretty sure it means EVDO on Verizon's network. I'm also pretty sure Verizon will find a way to throttle that poo poo, regardless whether or not it's legal.

If it means EVDO and no longer having a roaming data limit, the idea of flashing a Verizon PRL is suddenly way more appealing...

Realistically, though, I honestly have no idea what to expect from this. I'm not even sure that I agree with it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I doubt it. They already have a roaming agreement. Is there a stipulation in this new ruling that roaming is at full speed? That it is provided for free?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

And what does it mean for Sprint consumers, if anything?
The article is a bit light on details, but the crux of the rule appears to be this:

Bloomberg posted:

The FCC order approved today requires carriers to strike agreements on commercially reasonable terms. Carriers unable to reach agreements may appeal to the FCC.
I'd guess this is prompted by small regional carriers (USC, Metro, Cricket) who aren't really in a position to negotiate a reasonable roaming agreement with Verizon, which is essential for them, as their coverage is in markets where Verizon has decent presence (at least for Metro & Cricket, USC less so).

It probably doesn't affect Sprint much. Sprint is a nationwide carrier with enough network coverage that their roaming agreement with Verizon is supplementary for both, but not as essential as it is for regional carriers.

brc64 posted:

Does it mean we'll finally get EVDO roaming on Verizon's network?
Doubtful, unless EVDO roaming is something Sprint really wants, enough to forego a voluntary agreement and complain to the FCC about it. Sprint probably prefers 1x roaming, as it allows folks to still check their email but limits their ability to roam with bandwidth-hungry applications (Pandora, streaming video) where Sprint would eat huge roaming fees from Verizon.

brc64 posted:

Does it mean that Sprint will stop caring if >50% (or whatever) usage is roaming?
No, because Sprint & Verizon aren't peers. Any roaming agreement (voluntary or compulsory) will incur costs for Sprint for Verizon-roamed traffic, which Sprint is incentivized to minimize as they don't forward them onto customers. If 50% of your usage (or whatever) is roaming, you're simply not a profitable customer for Sprint and they'll still drop you.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

If it means EVDO and no longer having a roaming data limit, the idea of flashing a Verizon PRL is suddenly way more appealing...
And still waay a douche move, if not outright illegal.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

And still waay a douche move, if not outright illegal.
If I still lived where I did before, I think I could keep a fairly clear conscience. Verizon: full bars; Sprint: constantly switching between crap and roaming. Even the Airave didn't help much, because it was only able to cover so much of the house.

I don't really think it's any less ethical than tethering without a plan, and I wouldn't even consider unless it wasn't costing Sprint a dime. And even then, I'd need a good reason, which I don't really have any more. I just said it would be more tempting.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

brc64 posted:

If I still lived where I did before, I think I could keep a fairly clear conscience. Verizon: full bars; Sprint: constantly switching between crap and roaming. Even the Airave didn't help much, because it was only able to cover so much of the house.

I don't really think it's any less ethical than tethering without a plan, and I wouldn't even consider unless it wasn't costing Sprint a dime. And even then, I'd need a good reason, which I don't really have any more. I just said it would be more tempting.

Good lord man, I'm guessing you either live in a huge house, or one made out of iron or something.

My house is single story, 1800 square foot. I get full Airrave signal in every single room, and even 30 feet or so outside of my house.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

That's a bit of a crapshoot. I can see doing it if you were trying to get out of your contract ETF-free because your service was unexpectedly lousy, and appealing to Sprint directly was no-dice.

Or more generally, folks who PRL-hack to roam onto Verizon EVDO sparingly, and with a conscious effort to minimize their actual data consumption, are somewhat defensibly engaging in the practice.

But in the xda threads on the subject, you'll see lots of folks force roam and PRL hack so they use Verizon's EVDO network exclusively, at Sprint rates, while costing Sprint lots in roaming charges, all to get 3-4 bars instead of 1-2. That's unjustifiable douchery.

brc64 posted:

and I wouldn't even consider unless it wasn't costing Sprint a dime.
It does though, or at least, it should. I suppose a consequence of PRL hackery is that Verizon/Sprint wouldn't even know its roaming usage, and wouldn't bill each other accordingly. I'd be shocked if that were the case, and in absence of confirmation otherwise, I would assume this does cost Sprint plenty.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Chappy posted:

Good lord man, I'm guessing you either live in a huge house, or one made out of iron or something.

My house is single story, 1800 square foot. I get full Airrave signal in every single room, and even 30 feet or so outside of my house.

Lots of old houses have chicken wire in the walls, which does a pretty good imitation of a faraday cage when it comes to wireless signals

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

heat posted:

Lots of old houses have chicken wire in the walls, which does a pretty good imitation of a faraday cage when it comes to wireless signals

It was my wife's parents' house, and I don't know much about the structure, but I had the Airave pretty much in the middle of the house. The house was fairly large, so I'm sure that's part of it, but it wasn't the only problem.

Service was crap in whole general vicinity, so even when I wasn't home, if I was anywhere near it, it was just as bad (and the Airave sure as hell wasn't going to help me there). God help you if you were on a call while leaving the house. But then Sprint started "improving" their service in the area, which as best as I could tell meant that now I had crap EVDO signal, which my phone wanted to grab onto over the strong 1x only Airave signal.

I worked around that issue by keeping my phone connected to wifi when I was home, but I similar (or worse) range problems with wifi than I did with the wifi, which meant if I went to either edge of the house, it would be hit or miss how my phone would react. So I guess that does probably suggest something in the walls.

Anyway, I wouldn't advocate PRL hacking just for the hell of it... and right now all it would really do would be get your data turned off pretty quickly because Sprint seems pretty serious about that poo poo (at least, that's the impression I got from reading those threads).

I guess this whole thing is a little bit of a sore spot for me, because when I decided to go with Sprint, everybody kept saying "oh, it roams on Verizon!" and that sounded great until I discovered how lovely roaming can be when you're just on the outskirts of a coverage area (despite what the loving map says).

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Good thing these multi-billion dollar telecoms (with legal and lobbying budgets to match) have loyal supporters like ExcessBlarg to defend them from big baddies like the FCC and TOS-violating customers. Now on to my questions that involves me sharing my family plan with two people that don't even live with me!

I'd like to enroll in automatic billpay to finally do away with that $4.99 spending limit charge, but I like to have my brother and sister pay directly through *3 or online rather than have to collect their payments myself. If my bill is issued on say, the 6th of the month with a due date of the 26th, when will the auto billpay withdraw the payment?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

goku chewbacca posted:

Good thing these multi-billion dollar telecoms (with legal and lobbying budgets to match) have loyal supporters like ExcessBlarg to defend them from big baddies like the FCC and TOS-violating customers.
I feel it's important to say that, despite everything I just posted, this new law does sound like it's overstepping to me. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing Verizon get hosed over as much as the next guy, but forcing them to share their network? Good for the little guys, but how does that promote growth again? I don't really get it... I guess the argument is that if small carriers are allowed to use existing infrastructure, they can have more money to spend on building out their own... but that argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

Good thing these multi-billion dollar telecoms (with legal and lobbying budgets to match) have loyal supporters like ExcessBlarg to defend them from big baddies like the FCC and TOS-violating customers.
Erhm, I'm not really defending Sprint, nor do I really care about TOS. I just think it's a jerkbag move to abuse their service in a way that costs them significant money (real money, not fantasy money they would have gotten if everyone who once tethered paid up for the plan). Note that I'm not claiming that brc64, in his particular circumstance, was/is a jerkbag.

goku chewbacca posted:

Now on to my questions that involves me sharing my family plan with two people that don't even live with me!
I don't have a problem with this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

brc64 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing Verizon get hosed over as much as the next guy, but forcing them to share their network? Good for the little guys, but how does that promote growth again?
I think the issue is that Verizon is in a position of privilege due to the FCC's meddling in the first place. Waay back when the original AMPS cellular band was carved and licensed, the FCC gave out licenses to two carriers in a given geographical region based on "demonstrated need" (and at the very beginning, a willingness to invest in infrastructure). Originally there was a lot of small companies in involved, but a bunch of mergers and license sales happened so that a few companies could amass a nationwide network.

Later on the FCC carved out the PCS band and gave licensed to a bunch of new cellular providers, Sprint being one of them, in an effort to encourage competition and market growth. This was all handled in a rather bureaucratic fashion, until very recently when they realized they could auction spectrum to the highest bidder. Of course, the folks who could afford highest-bid were the largest of the existing providers.

Since the makeup of the market is largely the FCC's mess to begin with, although a necessary one given the nature of radio spectrum, they occasionally feel the need to enact regulatory measures to ensure competition and the viability of smaller providers. They've long required big carriers to offer voice roaming agreements, they're now doing the same for data. It's debatable whether these are good ideas, but it's not like the FCC is just now starting to meddle in an otherwise free market.

brc64 posted:

I don't really get it... I guess the argument is that if small carriers are allowed to use existing infrastructure, they can have more money to spend on building out their own... but that argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
The issue is about roaming, not network capacity. Small carriers can't build out into new markets because they don't have the licenses to do so. They're never going to get them either since the FCC adopted the auction model.

The best they can do is serve as a competitive agents in the limited markets they do serve. Their services appeal to folks who spend 99% of their time at home, in the region of native coverage. But since folks (reasonably) expect their phones to continue working on the few occasions when they do have to travel, even if they have to pay extra for it, it's very hard to sign this group up if there's no roaming option at all.

So the trick is, if the big providers refuse to offer reasonable roaming options to the small carriers, the small carriers will lose their customer base, giving the big providers an opportunity to buy them out and reduce market competition. That's a rather horrible thing for customers.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 7, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The best they can do is serve as a competitive agents in the limited markets they do serve. Their services appeal to folks who spend 99% of their time at home, in the region of native coverage. But since folks (reasonably) expect their phones to continue working on the few occasions when they do have to travel, even if they have to pay extra for it, it's very hard to sign this group up if there's no roaming option at all.

So the trick is, if the big providers refuse to offer reasonable roaming options to the small carriers, the small carriers will lose their customer base, giving the big providers an opportunity to buy them out and reduce market competition. That's a rather horrible thing for customers.
I accept this explanation. Thank you.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah
Will Sprint let you merge accounts into a family plan? My fiance and I are both on Sprint. We're both Premier members. I think she's about finished with her 2 year contract and I have a year left on mine. Can we keep our same numbers and get phone upgrades in the process?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can merge accounts all day long but your upgrade dates shouldn't be affected at all.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
How will MMS work if you freely move your number to google voice (or just use your existing GV number as your phone's) once sprint rolls out integration?

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
Once every 10 times or so HDMwIn works on my CM7 Evo. I finally got it to work and had a camera at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLg2NNRjMIM

Just a one minuteish video that doesn't show much just a replay of my playing a game. I am really looking forward to this being a bit more stable so I can hook up my phone to my monitor have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to it as well and have it be a hub.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Erhm, I'm not really defending Sprint, nor do I really care about TOS. I just think it's a jerkbag move to abuse their service in a way that costs them significant money (real money, not fantasy money they would have gotten if everyone who once tethered paid up for the plan). Note that I'm not claiming that brc64, in his particular circumstance, was/is a jerkbag.

I don't have a problem with this.

I used to get 0-2 bars on Sprint on my Diamond in my house. When I enabled roaming only, I got 4 bars. Also, any time I got 0 bars, my Diamond would turn the screen on for no other reason than to remind me how lovely my service was. Additionally, it also wasted my battery life by searching for a stronger signal while increasing radiation. I use about 60 minutes a month. Am I one of those jerkbags abusing the system, maaaan?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yes. you sound like a douche

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

atomicvocabulary posted:

Once every 10 times or so HDMwIn works on my CM7 Evo. I finally got it to work and had a camera at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLg2NNRjMIM

Just a one minuteish video that doesn't show much just a replay of my playing a game. I am really looking forward to this being a bit more stable so I can hook up my phone to my monitor have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to it as well and have it be a hub.

Check that there isn't a bunch of dust/dirt in the jack, the wires are really small and a small bit of lint can make things not work.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
What is the deal with Airave? I get pretty crap signal in my place, and a friend of mine using Sprint got one for free and got the monthly fee waived for having the same problem. Yet, when I contact customer service, they either don't know what it is or tell me I can't get one anymore.

Is there a solution for me?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

"d[-.- posted:

b"]Am I one of those jerkbags abusing the system, maaaan?
Nah, it's cool if you had 0 bars.

(That's not PRL hacking anyways.)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Tatsujin posted:

How will MMS work if you freely move your number to google voice (or just use your existing GV number as your phone's) once sprint rolls out integration?

I'm still using my GV number as my number, but MMS sent to my Sprint number go into the messaging app, while all other texts go into the Voice App.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Also, any time I got 0 bars, my Diamond would turn the screen on for no other reason than to remind me how lovely my service was.
I loving hated that about WinMo. "You have no service! Since that alone isn't enough of a battery drain, I'm going to wake your phone to tell you about it! I hope you have a lock screen set up, because I don't loving care if I'm in your pocket when I do this!"

But I did love the fact that WinMo let me set things like 1x only or roam only easily enough, depending on the ROM. That, and USB fast charge. I do miss those things sometimes.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

brc64 posted:

But I did love the fact that WinMo let me set things like 1x only or roam only easily enough, depending on the ROM. That, and USB fast charge. I do miss those things sometimes.
You can still do 1x only or roam only easily on Android as well, at least from my short experience messing wround with a friend's LG Optimus S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
Not to intrude on your PRL-hacking discussion and whatnot, but I'm kind of wondering about the data cap on Sprint. after 5GB on 3G is additional data throttled, or charged extra, or shut off, or something else entirely?