Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So I really want to switch from Verizon to the Sprint EPRP 500 plan with an EVO but I notice it's STILL sold out in the EPRP store. Would I be able to go to a sprint store with all of the EPRP info (the employee email/number) and get what I want?

Or should I just wait for the EVO 3D?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Gazaville Slugger posted:

I am using a loving HTC Hero still and I plan on waiting. It's only a couple more months. I'll live.

Yeah, the thing is I'm stuck on Verizon with a $75 bill (500 mins, 250 texts, 10MB data) per month with a lovely dumbphone when I could be paying $5 less for a nice android phone with unlimited 4G data and all the fancy bells and whistles. I can wait longer but it's getting harder and harder.

Any idea when the 3D will be out? And will it have the same availability problems?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I did end up buying that HTC Hero

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

And of course, rooted already. Huzzah!

Loaded maps, it found me within 6 meters, I touch-screened over to a local restaurant, clicked it, it brought up the info, I clicked the phone number, and it called it. I literally orgasmed.

Holy poo poo, I'm going to be jizzing all over myself when I upgrade to an EVO 3D from a goddamn Samsung Alias. What a pile of poo poo this phone is.

Anyone have any indication on how rootable the EVO 3D will be?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

What if I wanted to get on the EPRP plan with a new 3D? Would I have to buy out of contract and then buy the plan seperately?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

So I'm currently on Verizon, looking to switch to Sprint. What are my chances of getting on EPRP and an EVO 3D at or near launch? The EPRP website still has the regular EVO out of stock. What the hell?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Alman posted:

EVOs and Optimuses (Optimii?) are hard to get right now, not sure the reason

But you should be able to get on EPRP at EVO 3D launch

Cool, thanks. Yay smaller bill and no longer using a lovely dumbphone! Now I just have to wait until the 3D :(

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Duckman2008 posted:

Def just wait for the Evo 3D launch, they will likely gently caress up and short stock the phone like they do every year, but usually if you order right on launch you have a fairly good chance of getting it.

Yes, from what little research I've found that even without the 3D gimmick, it simply has more features than the Nexus S and is better in almost every way. If only it would actually come out.

I hope it's rootable too. I really want to tinker with it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Does the Port-in discount apply to EPRP? Or does that count as corporate?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

a shameful boehner posted:

I wish we could get an EVO 3D release date already :negative:

My stock Hero is giving me strong "break into a million pieces" urges lately

Yeah, there's no point in going with the EVO right now with the 3D just around the corner. I'm not gonna buy a phone that I will use for 2+ years that is obsolete 1 month after purchase.

At least you're not suffering with a Samsung Alias like I am. I swear this phone has gotten slower with old age. It now takes 1-2 seconds to register button presses. What the christ.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

change my name posted:

Haha look at you kids, I'm still on a loving Rant

:hfive: lovely Samsung Phone crew.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

OptimusMatrix posted:

Well reading the thread on XDA about the leaked Evo 3D rom, and they say that the boot loader is locked but not encrypted which means good things for rooting from what I understand.

This right here is very good news. If it's true it pretty much locked in my choice of the EVO 3D over the Nexus S.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

TheBlackMallard posted:

Just posted on Facebook.

drat. This just confirmed my EVO 3D purchase. If I want to sign up for a new EPRP plan (and port my number from Verizon), should I be preordering now? Or is that only for regular plan users? Also I read somewhere in this thread of a discount for porting my number over? Is that true or am I just imagining things?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Hasn't the port credit bonus been extended before? Or am I thinking of some other deal?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Nuts and Gum posted:

So is the EVO 3D still the fastest kid on the Sprint block, or is there some crazy dual core android phone about to come out?

Considering it's not even out yet, yes.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

ShowTime posted:

Excuse me sir, are you forgetting that the Evo 3d comes pre-loaded with the blockbuster hit starring Seth Rogan, The Green Hornet?

WOOOO!!! :toot:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

change my name posted:

Seriously I hope 3d movies take up an obscene amount of space just as a giant gently caress YOU to anyone considering spending like 10-15 bucks on one

Considering they're high def versions with a framerate of 120hz they're going to be at least several GB. Especially if they're 1080p instead of 720 (likely 720 though)

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

diospadre posted:

Is it even possible to tell the difference on a phone?

The Evo3d has an HDMI output.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

td4guy posted:

So the Network Vision plan is to have a standard CDMA signal running on both 800MHz and the current 1900MHz, for excellent range, building penetration, and network capacity. But all of our current phones only look for a signal on 1900MHz. I did a bit of googling and, from what I gathered, it looks like we're all going to have to get new phones with multi-mode/whatever radios that are smart and advanced enough to listen on both frequencies.

What are the odds that we'll be able to flash our current-generation android phone radios to behave the same way?

What are the odds that I'll be able to at least flash my old Touch Pro2 (lol) to work on 800MHz?

I really doubt it would just be a simple reflash. Radio antennas are designed to work best in certain bands of frequencies (ask any ham radio operator, that's why they often have so many of them).

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Duckman2008 posted:

Make sure you get your $125 port credit (goes till July 23rd). Overall, it can change but right now Sprint is a no brainer thanks to VZ tiered data plans. Get the 3D or Nexus S phone wise.

My Evo 3D is currently on its way and I'm porting my number over from Verizon. When I talked to the Sprint rep they said I had to manually redeem the port credit and I only have 72 hours to do it. How do I go about doing this? Will the instructions come with the phone or is it somewhere on the website?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm assuming you haven't ported the number yet (which is more than fine). When the phone comes in you call Sprint and have them port your number. After that, you go to sprint.com/switchtosprint and register for youe credit. The 72 hours is from time of port, so don't fret missing that due to shipping.

When I signed up I gave them my Verizon information on the website so I assumed they handled it. How do I start the actual port?

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 27, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

So I just got my phone in and I'm trying to activate it. When I go to plug in my phone number (or serial number) at sprint.com/activate it says "Sorry, this account has been cancelled or closed."

What do I do? Should I call from my old verizon phone? Would that even work?

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 27, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I keep getting this terrible error message "SMS Error: radio interface resource shortage" every time I try to send a text (and every 10 seconds or so for the next half hour afterwards). What the hell is going on?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

The Entire Universe posted:

Yep, the touch sensor is incredibly sensitive on this phone. Maybe a case can help by virtue of giving extra girth to the phone which would help keep hand flesh from pressing around the edge of the phone and hitting the button.

I do this so often. It's so annoying. Anyone have any good case recommendation on the budget side?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

z16bitsega posted:

Battery life with the 3D is just absolutely absurd. 16 hours 30 minutes and it's still sitting at 80%.

I think I got a detective battery. I had it unplugged overnight and it was down to 30% from 80%. 50% in 6 hours of standby seems like a lot.

Or is this just the "warm up period" people talk about?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Jorath posted:

Will that also let me put different apps on my unlock screen?

Go into the personalize display menu > lockscreen > settings and change the apps there.

Took me a while to find it too.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Heffer posted:

So I've been stuck in digital roaming mode for the last three days. I kind of assumed I got booted off because I tethered too much at my friends house. The advanced tech support guy says there's been an outage in my city since the twenty second, which seems ridiculous. Any advice?

My (home) internet has been down for the past 5 days and I've been tethered since then. I've been watching netflix (on my PC), gaming (poorly, ping is awful) and downloading just like I have been before and I haven't run into any issues yet. Sprint doesn't seem to care what you do with their connection so I doubt they booted you.

PDANet is pretty awesome. I gotta say.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

mastershakeman posted:

My dad was telling me that Lightsquared's 4g (in partnership with sprint) is causing a bunch of waves in aviation news because pilots are worried Lightsquared's frequencies will mess up all of their GPSes. Is there any truth to this?

If it's anything like the Wifi on an airplane controversy it's just paranoia. Any device meant for airplane safety should be shielded against widely used frequencies or it shouldn't be on a plane at all.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

tuckfard posted:

Probably a stupid question, but I want to double check. If my girlfriend signs up for an EPRP account by bringing her number from ATT, she can get the $125 credit, right?

Yes, I just did it from Verizon to Sprint. You just have to fill out a form after the port is complete.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Leathal posted:

Is there a way to use the USB tethering option on my Evo3d without downloading a third party app like PDAnet or dealing with HTC Sync bloatware (150 meg setup program? Shouldn't there just be a driver or something?)

PDANet is quite tiny and does the job well enough. You don't have to keep it running when you're not using it either.

DaveKap posted:

Anyone know if the latest OTA updates for the firmware/software on the EVO 3D are rootable? I like to have the latest updates while still being able to hack the thing.

I wish. It looks like HTC is going to break their promise on unlocking the bootloader. gently caress. Now we just have to wait until someone hacks it. Temporary root works and they're getting closer to permanent root every day now.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 6, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

900ftjesus posted:

It's been less than two weeks since release. It's a bit early to jump on the XDA bandwagon and declare "htc lied, epic fail!!!!" As soon as they said it would ship locked and would be unlocked later, I expected a month for the unlock. Moto and SE are unlocking bootloaders, so I really doubt HTC is going to lie about going that route.

Yeah, I probably should have worded it better. I just hope the carriers haven't insisted on keeping the bootloaders locked on their new flagship phones.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Anyone have a good case recommendation for the EVO3D? I don't want to go too expensive if possible.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I just tried to set up Google Voice just for the voicemail to text feature. Is there a way to have it set up but not have texts go through google voice?

Edit: Ok I think I got texting working back on my phone but now I'm getting my texts in both google voice and my phone. I don't mind my texts being on google, I just don't want to be notified of them twice.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 8, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Uncheck Inbox Notifications but leave Text Messages checked.

Thanks!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

While we're on the topic of screen protectors, what are some good brands or does it matter? Should I just get one of those 2 for $3 chinese-made ones?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Same here in NYC.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

mtr posted:

I know that Sprint's network was messed up a few days ago, but is anyone else still having problems?

Two of my friends who are on Verizon have texted me in the past day and I haven't received any of the texts. I'm trying to determine if it's Sprint or my phone causing the problem. Google Voice hasn't even picked up on the texts, so I think it's Sprint?

Edit: I've tested this a little further now. It appears I can send texts to anyone. I can receive texts from one of my Sprint friends. But I cannot receive texts from Verizon people. Testing with AT%T right now.

Yep, the texting problem is back for me too, only in reverse for me. I can recieve texts but not send them.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

DaveKap posted:

Does anyone else have a weird problem (EVO 3D) where text messages show up out of order on their phone? I'll get a couple of texts from a friend, send one back, and then I'll get a couple more and they'll be listed as coming before the one I sent to my friend. Sometimes I'll send 2 and then the next text from my friend will be in between the 2 I just sent. What's up with this? Never had it happen on AT&T.

Yeah, same thing happens to me on my 3D as well. Wasn't sure if this was a Sprint thing or an Evo3D thing.

Edit: My Seido Active case came in today. I'm really liking this case. It feels very sturdy and protective without adding too much bulk. The rubber edges seem to pick up pocket lint a lot though, hopefully that will stop with use.

Thanks to whoever recommended it!

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 17, 2011

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Anyone know of a good place to buy the MHL adapter for my Evo3D? It's not on monoprice yet and I don't feel like spending $35 for a couple pieces of copper and 3 inches of cable.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Isaac Asimov posted:

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't mind a refurb, I guess I am more worried about whether I could still get root access or not, I read something about the new evo's being difficult to root or something because of the software updates.

Full s=off is coming for the Evo3D any day now. And HTC's unlocked bootloader is coming in a few weeks. Either way it will be rooted soon. As for now, temp root is really easy to do.

Edit: oh you meant OG Evo. Oops. Nevermind.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

averox posted:

Getting one of these ASAP. Who needs dual cores on the Evo 3D when you can have dual screens.

The battery life on that thing must be horrible.