Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ZeroAX posted:

My Touch Pro 2 has this weird rainbow effect on the middle of the screen that you can only see when the screen is off. Would this be covered by TEP or would I have to pay $100 to get the screen replaced/fixed?

This is actually pretty common. They probably won't cover it because it's cosmetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Let me make one thing clear.....the $99 Simply Everything plan is not eligible for any employer discounts, the $89 900 Minute Everything Data plan is though. So there is one clear way to go in this situation.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If there's no mail-in rebate, then yes. If there is a rebate, then maybe. Buy it, immediately put it on his line and don't put it on any other lines until you get your rebate check. They don't have to give you the rebate if it's not put on the upgraded line but they usually do.

Don't forget everybody, corporate Sprint stores as of today are mail-in-rebate-free. Hurry and take advantage while it lasts! (til April 16)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
OK, since April 1st is quickly approaching, let me see if I can explain the whole Premier upgrade thing a bit better. First things first, visit this site:

https://manage.sprintpcs.com/specialoffers/RebateWelcome.do

After you input your phone number and zip code on the right side, your screen will look one of two different ways. It will either have one date like this:

Or two dates, like this:

If your rebate shows two different dates, your rebate is not changing on April 1st.

If your rebate shows only one date, it will probably change on April 1st, unless you're on an $89.99 base plan (before discounts, before add-ons such as premium data, TEP, etc.) for a single line, or $169.99 base plan for family plans, or have been with the company for over 10 years.

In example A above, it shows that that line will be eligible for the full $150 rebate on July first. Starting friday this will no longer be true. It WILL be eligible for the partial $75 rebate on said date, but the full $150 rebate will be pushed to the 22 month mark, in this example: May 1st, 2012.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

gaan kak posted:

Ok, it looks like both of the upgrades I was curious about are going to be valid. Is there a time-limit to use an upgrade?

No, they are there until you use them.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

First, thank you for the information. It is very helpful.

Second, This confirms a suspicion I've had for some time...Sprint has my account screwed up (despite my NUMEROUS attempts to get it corrected), and it looks like I got screwed out of my 1 year upgrade, and my brother got it somehow.

So...here's my problem - My line is supposed to be the primary line on the account. Somehow it got changed to my brothers line between me getting the EVO last June, and him getting his Epic in February. He used to have a Palm Pre, and it was on the fritz, so he asked me when he could upgrade. Without thinking, I quickly logged into the Sprint website, saw he was eligible, and we went to the Sprint store.

Now, according to the website you just linked us to, my phone is eligible for a 1 year upgrade on 6/1/11, and a 2 year upgrade on 4/1/2012...so it seems pretty clear that they screwed up somehow.

My question is - How do I get this fixed? Am I completely hosed on getting my 1 year upgrade in June, or do I have some sort of chance to actually get my 1 year upgrade? Any help would be appreciated, kind sir.

I could see this all being a problem normally, but the point is moot because as of friday, the primary line won't be any different than any other line.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
As far as primary/secondary lines on the account, Sprint's billing system is the absolute worst for it because it pretty much assigns the primary line arbitrarily. This normally wouldn't matter much except that of course, they added the whole premier upgrade thing.

Example: If you have one line on an account thats been on there for 5 years, you meet some chick, get married, and want to add her on and make it a family plan. Unless you actually tell the rep adding the line to go out of his way to be sure that YOUR phone is the primary, the added line will more than likely end up the primary. The reason is it goes by which line had the family plan added to it first, and most reps would add the line, create the family plan, then change the original line to that family plan. Result: YOUR phone is the secondary line, HERS is the primary, even though it JUST got added.

How to fix this? Well, call customer service. Now. Seriously, they can change it but it takes several billing cycles to go into effect.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Corporate-owned Sprint store types: What is a "Technical Consultant" and how hellish is it compared to a normal wireless sales gig? I'm trying very desperately to get out of the hell that is RadioShack and I saw an opening for that job at my local Sprint store.

You would basically be a phone repairman.

!!!!!ECHO ALERT!!!!!ECHO ALERT!!!!!

I got to see and use the Echo today for the first time and to be honest, it's not that bad. I know a lot of the anger about it stems from the whole announcement, but it's a pretty solid phone. If I had to pick a word to describe it though, it would be......awkward. The whole flippy spinny screen is kind of weird and.....awkward. But the phone has a snapdragon processor at it's heart and the software and responsiveness reflect it. It's really the same thickness as an EVO Shift. The unit I was using was not activated so I didn't get to really USE anything on it but I did get to see some of the dual screen programs in action. One cool app was I think called YouQue or something. Basically the top screen plays a youtube video while the bottom screen you can queue up more videos. The hinge is SOLID. Despite the fact that the flippiness is awkward, it does not feel flimsy. This is not a phone that will compete with the EVOs or even Epics of the world but it will sell I think.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Let me clarify one thing, you CAN get a no-contract line, but there is only one plan available: $39.99 for 200 minutes, no free mobile to mobile, 9pm N&W

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Isn't that the 29.99 plan?

Yes and no. it's the same as the 29.99 plan but it's more expensive because it's no contract.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

To add to news, it looks like the Nexus S for Sprint launches in April. I'm not sure if its the training that launches April 18th, the device or both, but Sprint is having a April sales contest for the Nexus, so its def April.

Also, a phone called the Samsung Replenish (likely a dumbphone) is launching in April.

Probably one of the sustainable phones (Reclaim, Restore, Remarq).

But for a second there I was thinking that portrait android with a keyboard that was leaked a few months back.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

Has there been a word about that since? I was semi-interested in it, even though it's Samsung.

Not that I have seen or heard. Just that leaked picture, then nothing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

Score.

What's funny is that every Sprint rep I've talked to in the last year in a store had a rooted phone anyhow...haha.

Guilty.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
To anyone who cares, we just got a leather case in for the motorola xoom. I wonder what that means.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Also if anyone cares, we got in capacitive styli today. $20 and it's loving sweet. I'm going to buy one just to have it for my EVO and when I get a tablet.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Chappy posted:

The capacitive stylus is about the size of a pen. I was going to buy one but I'm probably getting the HTC view and it already comes with one.

Apparently not, thats going to be sold separately. And to be honest I wasn't that impressed with it when I saw it in action. The fact that it connects via bluetooth worries me. I'd rather just carry a simple stylus (its about the size of a short pen, complete with a clip to clip it to a shirt or whatever else) that doesn't require that I recharge batteries.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I bet it's really useful with Sketchbook Mobile. Otherwise, is there a good use-case for one?

Just try one, then you'll understand. I would use this thing while browsing the web ALL THE TIME because its more accurate than my gigantic fingers.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Wait, are you talking about the HTC EVO View (Flyer)? I have never ever been excited about a gadget before, but the Flyer is exactly what I've been looking for in a PDA. I been pouring over every bit of news about it and this is the first I've heard of the Stylus being bluetooth and having batteries. Can you give me source on this? I'd like to read up on it.

Check engadget's hands on video.

Edit: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/15/a-closer-look-at-the-htc-flyers-screen-and-stylus-aka-htc-scri/

Engadget posted:

The Flyer has a capacitive touchscreen with what's been known as an active digitizer, although N-Trig's hesitant about using that term to describe its wares. Basically, like most convertible tablet PCs, the battery-powered (or "active") pen communicates with the screen and relays its pressure, positioning, etc. Naturally, that means that the Flyer uses a special N-Trig panel (it's actually the company's latest G 3.5 chipset) and stylus. Nope, it won't work with a regular pen or sharp object (not that you'd start sticking your brand new tablet with random pointy objects!)

All those logistics aside, the true beauty of a solution like this is how it blends the responsiveness of regular finger input with an extremely accurate inking one. You'd think the screen was your typical capacitive screen, until you put the stylus to it. Unlike capacitive styli, you don't have to press extremely hard or worry about totally missing your on-screen target. And not to worry, N-Trig says the AAAA battery-powered pen battery should last about a year and a half -- so you'll have a bit of time before you have to run out to the drugstore and pick up a new pack of Energizers.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 11, 2011

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Nexus S features prominently in the new store signage that goes up tomorrow. This leads me to believe that it is coming out sometime next week, as the Echo is also featured prominently.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

brc64 posted:

It's also got a little trackpad thing on it which I think you can use to move between text fields.

For what it's worth, it's not a trackpad but a dpad, in that it's not touch sensitive, it's only push sensitive.

I would however agree with everything else you said.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Hm. My Palm Pre is getting even worse-in addition to only have a working data connection about 5% of the time, it's also losing the ability to send (and possibly receive) texts, with an error code of 2127 being texted to me by a sprint number. Of course, this is intermittent too. Is it worth bringing it to a store and seeing if they'll give me a new one based on this? I don't have TEP.

For some reason ,craigslist phones in Chicago are really expensive-used Pres are running around $100 because everyone's throwing in accessories, EVO postings are flooded with spam, and Shifts are around $300. I may just have to suffer until the first of May and go with the Nexus, it doesn't seem to make sense to deal with the hassle and no TEP on a used phone for.

Your phone would probably fail a POST test, which tests RF input/output.

Without TEP, you're looking at $37.28 after tax.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

general chaos posted:

There are no plans for a new phone with dual GSM/CDMA radios in the near future, correct? I'm not too keen on saddling myself into a contract with the extremely outdated Touch Pro 2 or Blackberry offerings.

I was previously under the assumption that the Nexus S 4G would retain it's GSM capabilities.

Not so fast my friend:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/15/htc-mazaa-spotted-running-windows-phone-headed-to-sprint/

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Good news: for many premier silver customers who lost their yearly upgrades, corporate sprint stores can now honor it until I think 6/30. Pretty awesome.

Also: blackberry fans (if there are any left) the style price is dropping on 5/1 to free.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Wow, I hadn't checked this thread in awhile, there were like 250+ unread posts!

Anyways.....played with the Nexus S a lot over the past few days. I love it. It is perfect. There is nothing especially cool about it. It is just the perfect size, beautiful screen, no Sprint bloatware on it. No lovely Samsung software.

Also our fact tags for the Xoom (also launching tomorrow) read: Marconi Xoom

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TLG James posted:

Is the hotspot stuff still enabled on the Nexus S? I've read it both ways.

I actually was fiddling around with it today and it seemed like it was working without the $29.99 option on the account. :ssh:

In other news, I ordered the Nexus S today because I've fallen in love with it. First time I've actually paid for a phone in about 3 years.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

traveling midget posted:

Do you get commission on TEP or something?

No, but you get yelled at if your TEP add-on rate is low.

He did you a favor though, the Nexus S retails for $550.

Also the signature pad that you more than likely signed had both the price of TEP and the $36 act fee on it. Not that its ok that he didn't actually tell you these things, cuz thats pretty shady/lazy but I've seen people get all "he didn't tell me so I don't have to pay it" :colbert: then you show them what they signed and they shut up.

Not that you're being difficult about it, but I thought I'd share anyways.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Make sure the software is updated to GRJ22 if you have a Nexus. Don't know what it fixes but its the latest software on Sprint's tech portal and its different than the launch build which was GRJ06D.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Isn't it entirely possible that Google updates Android today at I/O? If so wouldn't the Nexus get it like right away?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The Grand Judabuddha posted:

I've got my nexus s and it's great. No problems with the hardware that I've found. just a really slick phone with good battery life.

I've turned on Google voice, and that's working well, but I've got a notification for a voicemail right now but nothing when I check it. I'm guessing it's a voicemail in my old sprint mailbox. Will that go away eventually? Or should I disable Google voice, delete the message, and then reenable it? Or will that cause problems?

Try calling your voicemail and deleting it from there. It might still work.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

The Grand Judabuddha posted:

there are no voicemails in my Google voicemail inbox. is there a way to get to my sprint inbox without disabling Google voice?

dial your own phone number from your phone

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
OK the "never sleep while charging" option definitely doesn't work on my nexus s

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just chiming in to say I've never had any wifi or other radio issues on my nexus, nor have I made any tickets or seen any nexuses (nexii?) come in to my corporate repair center for any reason at all.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Are rebates still instant?

For the time being.

Bad news: instant rebates end on the 23rd.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just found out that on 6/10 (Friday) the 4G upload speed cap is being raised from 1mbps to 1.5mbps. This is happening on the network end so you won't need to update your phone to take advantage of it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I finally used the EVO 3D yesterday.

All I can say is "Meh"

Sense 3.0 is beautiful, and the features are pretty cool, but I have Sense 3.0 on my EVO (although admittedly it obviously is a lot smoother on the 3D).

The 3D is stupid and pointless.

I actually prefer the aspect ratio of the EVO rather than the 3D.

Oh and every time I hit the power/lock button, I accidentally push the camera button.

The overall build is a lot better than the EVO.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Evil Crouton posted:

What's the aspect ratio like? Is it like the Shift where it's taller but narrower relative to the Evo?

In short (pun intended), yes its taller and thinner.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jeratain posted:

How does the qHD SLCD screen compare to the SAMOLED on the Nexus S 4G?

It doesn't. Definitely nicer than the EVO's screen in terms of resolution, but the color saturation and everything is virtually identical to the EVO. Just doesn't compare to the vibrance of SAMOLED.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm almost positive that SERO-P accounts don't need the $10 unless its 4G.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's how it used to be, prior to putting all smartphones into premium data

I'll look into this tomorrow when I get to work, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong. SERO-P aren't regular consumer plans and are exempt from premium data unless its 4G.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I HAVE verified that indeed, the premium data add-on DOES NOT apply to SERO plans UNLESS its a 4G phone.

I know i said it already and people still seemed to not believe it but that's verified straight from Sprint's employee knowledge base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I wonder if Sprint's commitment to LTE helped them get the iPhone. Since it looks like there will really be 1 hardware version of the iPhone 4S that is capable of running both GSM and CDMA, you have to wonder if Apple plans on only one hardware version for all of their future phones.

So basically...the iPhone 5 will be LTE enabled and since Sprint will be running LTE by mid 2012 that should line up with a June iPhone 5 launch on Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T.