Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

... WiMAX are unlikely to work for quite some time.

That's true for all phones except in a few select markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

Is the 4G map on sprint.com accurate at all? Because assuming it is accurate means my phone's 4G antenna is a POS.

Not really. My friends house in Orlando is well inside the "should get signal inside a building" coverage area, but he can only get a 4G signal on his Evo if he's standing outside, and it's not like there's much topography in Florida to throw their maps accuracy off.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007

heat posted:

He has to go outside because the wavelength that Sprint owns does not have good building penetration.

Yeah, I know, but the coverage map has different keys for "in-building" and "on-street" coverage. His house is in the "in-building" coverage area, but he can't actually get signal inside a building. It's a wood frame, one story, single family dwelling.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
At least Sprint's maps aren't as bad as Clear's maps. According to Clear's maps, there's a tower right near my office, but I can't even get signal standing on the office roof.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007

mophomanners posted:

It's a spectrum protection site it is build for wide area coverage not for saturation.

What's a "spectrum protection site"? Is that just some kind of frequency squatting intended to gently caress over companies interested in actually providing service there?

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007

Chappy posted:

A spectrum protection site is built so sprint doesn't lose the spectrum holding. Once you have spectrum the FCC gives you so long to start using it. These towers are in place so sprint doesn't lose the spectrum.

OK, so it's just a way to circumvent the spirit of the law FCC ruling, while obeying the letter.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007

Chappy posted:

I'm not sure it's circumventing anything. It takes time to build out a network.

Yeah, it does, and apparently the FCC dictated a timeframe that they deem acceptable between the purchase of spectrum and the deployment of services to that spectrum. Throwing up one tower that doesn't really cover anything seems like it's just a way of extending that timeframe indefinitely without actually living up to the intended obligation of doing something useful with that spectrum.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Does that tower service some customers? Yes? It's useful!

Seriously though, I'm not sure what your point is. Sprint/Clear isn't sitting on 2.5 GHz and doing nothing with it, they're engaged in a national deployment with one of the partners being seriously cash strapped. As a result, it's taking a bit longer than anticipated.

What's a better alternative? For Sprint/Clear to give up that spectrum? Is someone else going to pick it up in their place and deploy services in it sooner? Services you can utilize?

This isn't like Verzion, who held, and is currently holding the most attractive AWS licenses in the Northeast and deployed jack squat in it much to T-Mobile's detriment.

My point was that a "spectrum protection site" seems like it's just the bare minimum requirement that they must meet to avoid forfeiting their claim on the spectrum rather than an indication of any actual network development. I'm sure everyone else is doing it too, I was just trying to figure out the reasoning behind throwing up one tower in a region they have no intention of providing actual coverage to in the near future.

And I'd say yes, it would be a better alternative for consumers if the FCC would cancel their claim on the spectrum and make it available to others if whoever owns the spectrum doesn't make use of it within a reasonable timeframe. That way Verizon couldn't pull the poo poo they did in the northeast.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
How much data d you 4g people tend to use. I was pretty sure I was going to jump onto my sister's family plan at ATT once the new iPhone came out, but the 2 gig limit is worrying me more and more. Especially if the new iPhone has HSPA+, those 2 gigs will get used up pretty quickly. This is making me lean toward getting a 3D Evo, despite me not really liking Android as a platform. The monthly cost of each will be within $5 of each other, so pricing isn't really an issue. My main concern is that data usage for me is only going to go up, especially considering faster internet, more applications that use it, and higher quality streaming video. I really like Apple's hardware,and iOS just seems so much smoother. Any suggestions or comments to help me make a decision?

Oh, I also tend to thing that ATT is an evil company.

You probably want to find someone local who has a 4g sprint phone to see if you can even get 4g where you live and work.

Someone said it a few pages back, and it's proven accurate in my limited experience in 4G cities (orlando and atlanta). Sprint's 4g coverage maps show places that you might be able to get a 4g signal if you're lucky, not places that you will be likely to get a 4g signal.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
I picked up one of the $50 LG G2s on black friday and don't understand the hate. Coming from an EVO 4G ( WiMax :argh: ) running Cyanogen mod, the stock rom has all the features I switched CM for built in (Wi-Fi hotspot, google voice), so I don't think I'll be changing the stock rom unless I run into some kind of limitation I haven't discovered yet. The hardware is a great upgrade, way more responsive, much better screen, and tri-band LTE is a huge upgrade from the wi-max i never even bother turning on anymore because there isn't a wi-max tower within a hundred miles of me and there aren't any more being deployed. Battery life seems way better too.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
The EVO 4G isn't that old, I was only like 6 months or so past due for my upgrade :) .

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007

general chaos posted:

Only for the phones capable of taking advantage of it.

Spark phones, new releases henceforth.

The recently released LG G2 and Nexus 5 still need a patch in order to take advantage of the towers available.

Is that the firmware update I had pushed to my phone (LG G2) a few days ago or something I have to manually look for?

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
So my parents can't get signal inside of their house. I called the Airrave number in the first post (redirected to the new number: 855-405-4098) and after being told they qualify for an Airave, I was also informed there would be a $3.50 a month "administration fee" for the airrave. When did this bullshit start, and is there anything that can be done about it? I shouldn't have to pay an extra fee to make the phone work inside the drat house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

Hell, I'm amazed they're giving them one. We were told at my store there were no more free airraves, you have to buy them now.

Maybe that's what they're doing instead.

And to be honest, if the phone doesn't work in the house, your best bet is to switch to a service that does. Anything else is just going to be a patch.

We just upgraded from HTC Evo 4gs to LG G2s. The Evos got signal inside my parents house. Not great, but they worked. The G2s only work outside the house or in the 2 bedrooms on the side of the house that faces the tower. This is the first complaint I've had about the G2, but it's a pretty big one. Since the weather's been so nice it took my parents a while to notice because they've been spending a lot of time outdoors. At my house about 5 miles away, it's great. I get two or three bars of 4g signal which is a huge improvement over the sometimes flaky 3g signal I was limited to before, but the inside of my parent's house is basically a dead zone now. There's still no 4g tower in range of my parents place.

When I called to see about either getting the Airave fee waved or returning 2 of the G2's, I eventually got put through to a network support tech who said theres been problems with the only tower my parents can connect to at home recently. He gave me a ticket number and told me the network engineers should be calling me within 3 days. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that's caused by "tower problems" to me, but I guess I'll give them a few days to look into it. The network tech to seemed to know what he was talking about. He was able to tell me exactly when the phones were disconnected from the network and which towers we were connected to when, so at least I know he was looking through our actual event logs even if he turns out to be wrong.

zeek40 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 28, 2013