Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got an email last night from Sprint/Google Voice that I could switch my number, so I did. It looks like texts I send from the text messaging up show up in Google Voice, and when people respond, I get a notification from Google Voice, but they never show up in my messaging inbox. I'm not sure how to configure Google Voice to send messages from my Sprint number instead of my GV number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

FISHMANPET posted:

I got an email last night from Sprint/Google Voice that I could switch my number, so I did. It looks like texts I send from the text messaging up show up in Google Voice, and when people respond, I get a notification from Google Voice, but they never show up in my messaging inbox. I'm not sure how to configure Google Voice to send messages from my Sprint number instead of my GV number.

To answer the MMS question, it looks like all texts get routed through GV and show up in the GV App/GV site, but MMS still goes to the default app. Not sure how any of this would work on a phone without the GV app. It seems to be missing the crucial feature (which were described in the initial introduction) of setting your sprint number as the GV number (unless I'm missing the setting somewhere).

E: Do you guys have "Caller ID (Outgoing) in the settings > calls menu? Not sure if I remember having it before or not. I'm not really sure what it's supposed to do, but it might change the number I send texts "from."

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 1, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got the early in for the GV/Sprint integration, and today I received my first short code message. I don't get an email notification (I'm guessing I only get notifications for messages sent to my GV number, and not my Sprint number). The text shows up in my GV app, but not in the built in SMS app.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

brc64 posted:

Which option did you pick?

I've tried to explain my question before, but I'll try it again...

I have a Sprint number, say 222-555-1212, and a Google Voice number, say 333-777-2323. All of my friends have my Sprint number and all of my coworkers have my GV number. When I make a phone call, I can pick whether or not to make the call using Sprint or GV. SMS is a little more convoluted, but similar situation there.

I want to take advantage of all the Google Voice features for my Sprint number. I'd love to be able to say that calls to 222-555-1212 will also ring other numbers, and all that other cool poo poo. But I do not want to lose my existing GV number, either, since that's effectively my work phone. What I do not want is for 333-777-2323 to become my primary phone number.

Sooooo... if I already have a GV number, and I choose to port my Sprint number in, will I lose 333-777-2323? Will I end up with two GV numbers? How will I manage settings for each phone number?

This is my dilemma.

Not sure about that. I did the thing where I still use my GV number as my GV number, and since activating it the other way means clicking "change/port my GV number" I'm little leery of testing it out myself.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I haven't had anyone call my number, but I can receive texts at that number, though they go into the GV app instead of the messaging app (unless it's an MMS,then it goes into the messaging app). Any texts I make come from my GV number, and I'd imagine calls do as well.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Tatsujin posted:

How will MMS work if you freely move your number to google voice (or just use your existing GV number as your phone's) once sprint rolls out integration?

I'm still using my GV number as my number, but MMS sent to my Sprint number go into the messaging app, while all other texts go into the Voice App.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Alman posted:

Has anyone had issues with their EVO 3D touchscreen registering ghost taps? Mine has started constantly bugging out and it's getting to the point where it's almost unusable. Checked for firmware and HTC updates, no dice.

My Evo (just plain Evo) does this, moreso when it's plugged in and charging. Usually for me if I wipe off the screen it gets better, but sometimes not.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Unlimited data for phones is like an all you can eat buffet. Some don't eat very much, and you make a lot of money on them. Some eat a lot, and you lose money on them. On the whole you make money. But when you throw tethering in it's like bringing farm animals into the buffet.

On Sprints end, they know unlimited doesn't mean unlimited. They can look at usage and see how much data "Unlimited" uses. Tethering makes that an unknown quantity.

But gently caress banning it on bucket plans. If I want to feed my caviar to a horse, I'll loving feed it to a horse.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Once upon a time there was some stuff about needing to change a setting to get Pandora to work on Sprint Android phones.

I've been having a hell of a time with Pandora, in that it takes a couple minutes to play a song, if it ever does, and just generally sucks on my EVO 4G.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Goddamnit carriers, stop selling lovely phones that save you $150 compared to the $2000 cost of the life of the contract, and make smartphones look bad because this piece of poo poo has to last you for 2 years.

I can't even blame consumers for being this loving stupid.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How early can I get an upgrade on my Sprint account? I'm 19 months into my contract, but my Evo 4g is starting to piss me off, and I'm wondering how soon before I can get some new hotness.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I should probably just bring my phone into a Sprint store, but some of my problems are really hard to replicate.

Often times the phone will register phantom presses, and some time phantom holding down on the screen.

That and the fact that no matter what I do I'm always running out of space for apps and I'm just basically over it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ender.uNF posted:

Courtesy of s4gru, this week's update was 300 sites... Finally, some real pickup on the deployment rate. DFW even had 32 sites, which seems like magic after the pitifully slow rates the past two months.

Some of the 300 sites:
Chicago (70), SF Bay (32), DFW (23), PR/VI (21), Atlanta/Athens (20), Washington DC (17), Baltimore (16), Boston (12), LA Metro (11), Kansas (11), Philadelphia Metro (9), New York City (9), Indianapolis (8), Houston (8), South Bay (7), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (5), San Antonio (5), Shentel (5), VT/NH/ME (4), Austin (3)

Damnit Indianapolis, why do you look like Minneapolis?

I want LTE by January/February when I upgrade :reject:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I guess I've got an upgrade coming on December 1. It looks like Sprint won't be getting the Nexus 4 by then (if ever) but isn't the Optimus G basically the same phone? How long do we need to wait before we can decide that the Optimus G is a good phone or not? I'd really rather have the quad core goodness, etc etc.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I never thought I'd think my Evo 4G was going to be slow, but here I am 2 years later and it is.

And do we not hate Samsung anymore? I really hated Samsung for a while, but it sounds like maybe they figured their poo poo out?

For the record, I also don't give a crap about ROMs, because I've got better things to do with my life than putter along with a ROM where <insert feature I actually use> doesn't work this week.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What don't we like about LG? Did LG suck with software updates in the past? The (few) reviews I've read seem pretty impressed with the hardware.

On a slightly related note, is it possible for two lines on an account to have a standard 2 year contract, but the third line (aka mine) have only a 1 year contract with a smaller device subsidy? Or should I just break my contract once a year for the new hotness?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But the Optimus G has a quad core CPU and 2 GB of RAM. For all intents and purposes it's the Nexus 4. I'm not really worried about the hardware being bad.

What I would be worried about is the software being bad, but I'm not even sure about that?

To be clear, the SG3 has a dual core with 1 GB of RAM, correct?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So that site says Quad core with 1GB of memory, the Sprint site says dual core with 2GB of memory. What if I really want a quad core?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tijag posted:

The international GSIII has a quad A9 SoC.

The US GSIII has a dual core Krait SoC which is generally on par with the quad A9 SoC. The quad A9 is maybe slightly more powerful.

I know for sure the domestic GSIII's all have 2GB ram.

The right answer is get off CDMA and buy the N4 ;)

At this point I am kind of considering it...

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

WoG posted:

I don't think people who waste the reading time of everyone in a thread to find simple, factual, quickly-googleable information deserve help.

Well since I Googled it and found wrong information, because I didn't know the international version was different than the domestic version, :fuckoff:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well quad is twice as many as dual. I'm going to ignore any argument that "X is fast/powerful enough" when something faster exists. It sounds an awful like "640k should be enough for anybody" to me.

E: Here's a review of the Optimus G, and according to their CPU benchmark the SG3 is a bit faster than the Optimus G, but the Evo 4G LTE blows them both away.
http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/smartphones/lg-optimus-g-sprint.aspx

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 8, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm curious, how long would it take to figure out if it sucks or not? Or is that the kind of thing we won't know until it's too late?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

UnbornApple posted:

So how is Sprint LTE in the places it has been deployed? They're starting to roll it out in the Twin Cities I guess, so I may take advantage of a cheap SGS3 instead of the Nexus 4 on T-mo. Is it legit fast or is it just fast relative to their aenmic piece of poo poo that is their 3G/WiMax?

Where'd you hear that it's being rolled out here (Twin Cites)?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is regular (not LTE) absolute poo poo in Chicago? My wife and I are here with our 21 month old Evo 4Gs, and our batteries are only lasting a few hours on a full charge.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My mom is on my family plan right now but I'll probably be ditching Sprint soon. Her boyfriend has Sprint. What can we do to get her line on his contract rather than mine?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got the gv integration. Mms from wife on Sprint (she doesn't use gv) turn into an email. Mms from non Sprint people end up in the standard messaging app.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have an EPRP Family plan with three lines on it. Will there be any problem if I go into a store and transfer one of those lines to someone else's account?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just ported my wife's phone to Straight Talk, so I'm left with mine on the account. I'm not bothering to port, just using Google Voice, how do I cancel the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have an OG EVO with WiMax, if I were to sell it what would it be worth? One of my coworkers is a crazy person and still uses a TP2 because he refuses to sign a new contract and said he might be interested in buying my EVO.