Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

gariig posted:

Insurance question. My wife was played Geared last night, the game had the phone vibrate, and the screen cracked into a spider web like shape. I went to the local Sprint Repair Center and they told me that it would only be covered by Asurion (I have TEP) and that it'd be $100. Which is some BS because I'm assuming the deductible is for dropping it, running it over, hitting it with a hammer, etc. Is there any way around or do I just suck it up and pay?

If I do have to make a claim through Asurion the turn around is 7-10 days for the Evo. How hard is it to have our old Palm put on the account so she has a phone for the next week or so?

The official answer is 7-10 days due to how hard it is to get them right now and all the delivery uncertainties. If you called today the best case is Friday and worst case is probably next Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Has anyone heard when the EVO might be back in stores instead of having to order them when buying?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

technic posted:

Anyone know what Asurion is replacing Heros with?

99% chance you'll get a Hero

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I use about 300MB/month. I use it for web browsing and downloading apps. If I were streaming anything I imaging that would jump up fast.

My record month was round 2.5GB when I used it for a week as a wifi hotspot for 2 computers while visiting relatives over the holidays.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I've heard June, but no specific dates. June makes sense since that has been the time of big phone releases for the last few years. I think the EVO, Pre, and Touch Pro 2 all were around the start of June.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Currently HTC is having problems (again) keeping their drat phones in stock, so likely Samsung is doing heavy subsidization of the Epic because the numbers for the phone are likely much higher since no one can sell the Shift (even sprint.com is out). It is likely working, because I can no longer order Epics for my store, they are backordered.

I would think this has to do with the 3D coming out and them allocating resources to it rather than building more regular EVOs.

Duckman2008 posted:

Please remember I work for 3rd party, not Sprint corporate. They don't just tell me stuff like that in advance.

If it's anything like the original EVO, the people at corporate will be under such a tight NDA they won't even be able to acknowledge it exists until it launches. Someone I knew there had to tell me that they hadn't heard of it a week before launch even when it had been publicly announced 3 months prior and the launch date had been known forever.

Part of me wonders if it's pushed out to later in June now so that it comes out after the port-in credit is over. I can't think they'd want to let people get the extra credit on the new flagship phone.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 6, 2011

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

phoneclaim.com/sprint

$100 deductible, if you get it in before 8pm central time (i think) it'll be overnighted. This is assuming refurb Evos are in stock, sometimes they get backordered a few days.

Sprint recently released an insurance tracking app for Android phones, highly recommend it. It can track and find where the Evo is, and even remote wip it. Included with the insurance you are paying. Unfortunately in your case it does need to be installed, cannot remote install it.

Download: sprint.com/protection

Even without the app installed there is a device locator service they can do that will help you find it with your approval. I heard of one guy having an EVO fall off the top of his car driving and they were able to tell him exactly where it was, and this was before the app was out to let you track it yourself automatically.

It looks like currently as long as your claim is complete by 10PM Eastern you'll get it the next day. http://www.phoneclaim.com/sprint-shipping EVO inventory shouldn't be a limiting factor this week at least.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Lowen SoDium posted:

What did Sprint have come out recently that caused this much sudden growth?

They've ran a lot of promotions, such as the $125 smart phone credit when people port a number to Sprint, that brought new subs. I think Duckman said at one point that it was the main reason they couldn't keep the EVO and some other models in stock at his store.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I've heard the first customers will have them in hand on the 22nd.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
It's worth a shot. The might since people ordering online are getting it already, but they also might be too scared to violate the official street date since someone got fired out of a store in Florida for leaking sales data last year.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Unless you actively tell Sprint "Hey I left the company, you should start charging more" they extremely rarely audit accounts. Very rarely, so your discount would stay.

This is true. When I worked at CompUSA I got a special Nextel was running for retail employees: $10/mo for 1000 anytime minutes. I gave that phone to my sister and she used it for years, even after CompUSA had declared bankruptcy and Sprint bought Nextel. I was ready to kill her when she ported the number to Verizon without telling me first so I could try and keep the deal.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Q_res posted:

Yeah, I guess I was pretty much just wondering if it was worth the extra $100 over a 4G if I can't use the 3D and if you pay a price in screen quality for having that nifty 3D feature. And you guys seem to have answered that quite quickly, thanks.

I have lazy eye in my right eye and it's somewhere around 20/200 last time it was checked. I'm hit or miss with 3D glasses working for me, but the EVO 3D worked for me perfectly. I guess my point is that you should check one out in person and see if it pops for you or not.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

brc64 posted:

I would assume that they would keep WiMax around for at least a couple years as they transition people to LTE, if that's what they're planning to do.

Yeah, with iden still around I can't see them shutting down wimax quickly.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I think the EOL date is when they stop stocking the device and advertising it on their website. I'm not sure about stores, they may get purged even sooner.
From what I've seen, the EOL date is when all stores should be either out or using up the last of their inventory and no more is available to order.

It's also pretty normal for a model to be replaced every year, and some even more often than that. Like you said though, the EVO is selling so well that it could stay around even longer which makes me think that something huge is coming out then that's still unknown.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 21, 2011

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Grumpwagon posted:

Not surprising, but the Galaxy s II has been spotted at the FCC. Should be coming out shortly. The article says it's 5mm taller and 3mm wider than the Euro one. That seems like a lot for just a radio change, so I wonder what other changes they've made to it?

Is it normal for it to have 2 WiMax antennas? Looks like a 2.6GHz Transmit and Receive and a 2.5GHz Receive only antenna.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Just tell them that you currently have a 25% discount through your wife's job and you want to see if yours is any better.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I just got home from seeing a man about a duck and left with two Photons, for my Dad and sister. The duck man took great care of us, although we left before my sister and haven't heard from her in an hour. A++++++++ would buy again. *You rated this app 1 Star!*

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Haven't gotten that from anyone else, so you may want to consider swapping for another Photon, it could be a lemon. Up to you of course.

My Dad's Photon had the same issue, but only once so far that I know of.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

yellowjournalism posted:

Ugh why should I buy TEP if what it covers changes constantly, but I HAVE to make a decision within 30 days?

I don't really ever give a poo poo about scratches or even screen cracks...I care about losing the entire phone or dropping it in water, and if Sprint is going to hold the right to change the terms at will, why don't I have the right to enroll/dis-enroll whenever I want?

TEP has never changed for what it covered. The only changes were what was able to be covered in store for free (with TEP) or $35 (without TEP) instead of the standard $50/$100 deductible. If you could sign up at any time for it, then everyone would just wait until they break the phone and then enroll to save money on a replacement.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

TEP has small changes made it it fairly regularly, unfortunately, some good some bad. TEP was one feature that suffered from Sprint's problem of offering great benefits to customers, then cutting back once they realize its really expensive to do so. For about 6 months last year TEP included ANY physical damage with NO deductible, and Sprint just up and changed that policy it one week. Sprint also just jacked the pricing from $7 to $8 a month. On the plus side, Sprint a few months back started including some pretty nice tracking options with insurance, so that's nice.

I forgot about the price change on it recently. I wasn't very clear with the physical damage thing, but that's what I was referring to with what was covered for free/$35 vs paying the $50/$100 deductible. What I meant to say was that the $50/$100 deductible piece hasn't changed and covers lost/stolen/any damage.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I don't think you realize it, but that's over 6.5 billion bits. Ones are zeros aren't cheap you know.

Edit: That chart comparing average vs. median usage shows just how many people aren't using that much data, and how much the top people must be using to skew the two numbers that much.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 18, 2011

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
http://androidcommunity.com/htc-evo-design-4g-specs-leaked-20110824/

Assuming the specs for the EVO Design are correct, will it have WiMax? It seems odd with the leaked specs saying "Support for 4G HSPA+" instead of mentioning WiMax.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

bobula posted:

So I received the replacement evo shift from sprint under their replacement program and dropped the old one off at the post office on the way to work, in the prepaid envelope sprint provided. Then I just thought, hey, was that actually a usps label, or FedEx or UPS or something?

Are sprint's prepaid envelopes usps?

TEP is USPS, but people do that all the time and USPS/UPS/FedEx will swap packages with each other so you don't have much to worry about.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm going to be out of the country for 2-3 months next year so I'll be placing my account on hold.

How does that affect upgrade and contract terms? Is it safe to assume that it will pick back up where I left it off, meaning current contract and upgrade eligibility will be pushed back 2-3 months.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 12, 2011

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'm not surprised. Where I work we've had stuff be held at customs for inspection and often we are told that X pallets were released, but not which ones were released.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I recently (1 month ago) upgraded to get the GNex. I just found out in 2 months I'm going to be out of the country for a year for work (not military related).

What is the cheapest way I can keep my number for when I return to the US? I assume that I can't suspend for a year. Is the only option to buyout of my contract, port to google voice, and cancel for $350?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Find someone who wants a sprint nexus and do a transfer of liability?

How would that impact keeping the cell number? I've had the same for several years now and would prefer not to lose it.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Skeezy posted:

Just a reminder that Duckman owns bones and you should all do your Sprint stuff with him. :allears:

Agree with this. He took care of my dad and sister when they were ready for upgrades, both during the sale and after when they had issues.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
It is definitely not the LTE version - there are non-LTE to LTE replacements due to changes in monthly fees by making that switch. The OG EVO is the only option available right now, and not due to a surplus, but if he escalates enough I'd be willing to bet a supervisor can find something else.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So in other words, having TEP on an Evo 3D or E4GT is pretty much useless now because when (as?) they run out of those devices you can't get bumped up, so you're going to be stuck with an OG Evo or Epic or something?

Both will probably be available again in the near future, it's mostly parts shortages for repairs in the overall market causing the problems.

You are correct about getting bumped up to an LTE device though. I would be surprised if that ever happens. People tend not to be very happy when they suddenly are paying more per month and possibly a higher deductible as well as part of the replacement process.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi its cheaper for you to just pay your parents whatever % of their plan your phone would be (IE if there are a total of 3 lines, 33%) then to go off on your own. if you go on your own you will be keeping your sprint number and with that the current sprint contract attached. So no termination fee for the parents, but no new phone pricing for you. There is no fee for this transfer (called the TOL). Fyi if you don't have credit yet you may have a $50 deposit (although it just depends on luck).

Although you say two of us, so maybe you mean significant other. Either way, my personal recommendation is to pool between 4 people if possible, that's what I do and it comes out to just about $50 a line, which is way better than $75 a line.

Is it possible to merge accounts with a TOL? My parents and I have a separate contract and I could move my phone onto their plan.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Lowen SoDium posted:

In downtown Atlanta, over the weekend, I was getting about 2Mbps down and 2.8Mbps up. on LTE. LTE only worked in my hotel room and on some places on the the street. The rest of the time it would fall back to EVDO and was as slow as ever. I don't know if this was the norm for Sprint LTE, but I can't say I was terribly impressed.

End of July in Atlanta near 5 points I was getting similar speeds. I ran 5 tests and got anywhere from 1.5-5.5 Mbps down and 1.0-1.6 Mbps up. It was really inconsistent though and I kept losing connection and reconnecting.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

datajosh posted:

So my poor friend is stuck on the Optimus S right now and it looks like he's going to need to make a warranty claim. Anyone know if they still have those around or if they're going to replace it with another model?

Both colors are still widely available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
With the JB update to GNex I completely lost all voice input and can't find a way to bring it back. The places I used it the most were the keyboard, maps, and chrome.

I have looked in keyboard properties and the setting for "Voice Input Key" is set to "On main keyboard". I've tried all 3 settings as well as rebooting the phone with no luck.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on where I can start looking to get it back?