Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is there some reason the new Motorola world phone is $900? My sister is going to be living in Europe for a year, and it'd be nice if we could get a decent world phone, but gently caress paying $549 WITH contract, or $899 without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

letsgoflyers81 posted:

For a year? The only way this should even be considered is if it's SIM unlocked and she uses a local SIM. Roaming for that long would be obscenely expensive.

That's the idea. I'm not sure if it's possible (is it?), still in the very early stages of this.

Chappy posted:

It also has a barcode scanner and some custom version of Windows Mobile.

It's not for the average end user.

Wait for the XPRT to come out if you want something with Android on Sprint and that's a world phone, otherwise buy a used Tour, Bold or Touch Pro 2 off of Craigslist/Ebay.

The XPRT comes out on 6/5, or next Sunday.

Honestly, for a year time frame you should just get a local phone and SIM from there, and use some VOIP solution for her to talk to the family. I thought I read somewhere about someone getting a Magic Jack with a US number, taking it overseas, and people were able to call for free.

To show just how little I checked up on this before posting, I thought that phone was just a renamed XPRT. :P I'll settle back in and research some before posting again. Thanks!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

sonicice posted:

What is the point of spinning all the home screens around really fast? You always end up at the same screen you were on. Is it just to look cool and show off that it is lag-free? Or is there a purpose that I haven't realized?

This is going back a couple of days, and I don't have a 3d, so I'm not sure about this, but I read somewhere that if you do the spin, you always go to your default homescreen, which is somewhat useful.... still sounds annoying though.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

falz posted:

It appears that Sprint has begun to roll out 4g in my city (Madison, WI) unexpectedly. I don't see this on their coverage map or on clear.com. Anyone have a source of more up to date data or possibly their announcements about such things?

I thought I noticed this too this morning on campus, but it was gone too quickly to say for sure. Where did you get service?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 7, 2011

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Shed posted:

I get that on my Nexus as well, but only when someone is spamming me with 5+ texts at a time.

Not the greatest solution, but as a workaround: Google Voice fixes this.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

I want to switch the Virgin Mobile's prepaid before the monthly rates jump to $35, so I doubt Sprint CS would be much help.

You could just start a line now, then port your number in October. It would probably end up saving you money in the long run versus paying an ETF.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

brc64 posted:

Earlier tonight I was in a very poor reception area and then my data shut off entirely. I had an "International roaming" notification.

I was certainly still in the country, so I'm curious if this was a problem with CM7 or did Sprint really believe I had left the country?

CM7 problem

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

From the OP

Duckman2008 posted:

****Sprint is currently offering Port Credits (IE Sprint pays to to switch to them) to switch to Sprint, and they are extended until September. See FAQs for more details ****

Was that last September? The site I'm seeing (sprint.com/switchtosprint) says they end 7/23. I have a friend who wants to port in, but he would prefer to wait for the galaxy s II. Do we know if they've been extended?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Has anyone been getting calls from 1111 today? I've gotten a few calls over the last couple hours.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Not surprising, but the Galaxy s II has been spotted at the FCC. Should be coming out shortly. The article says it's 5mm taller and 3mm wider than the Euro one. That seems like a lot for just a radio change, so I wonder what other changes they've made to it?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 27, 2011

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

My evo shift's touchscreen goes all stupid, I think particularly when it gets hot. Unfortunately, it's been 102 in the shade every day for 3 weeks now, so it doesn't work right a lot.

Is this a known issue? Is my phone dumb? am I dumb? Would I have to get it to demonstrate the behavior if I took it back to bestbuy to get them to fix/replace it?

I have this happen a lot on my Evo 4g too. Are you running the stock rom still? I'm running Cyanogen with LP, and while I think it's heat like you do, I've thought about going back to stock just to make sure it wasn't a software issue.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Duckman, I just checked my upgrade eligibility and its telling me I can upgrade now. I bought my EVO 4g on launch day, so I shouldn't be eligible for a while yet. Did you bump me at some point? If so, thanks! If not, ok!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Haha did you ask me too a while ago? If so I likely did, so looks like the grace period bumps stayed eligible. Nice.

Yeah, that must have been what happened. Thanks!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

For what it's worth, people with Rev A only will still be helped by the Rev B/LTE rollout, since it would presumably come with a backhaul upgrade as well. That's often the limiting factor, especially on overloaded towers.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Are you guys so hard up for $20 a month that you are forcing yourself to use old, super lovely and slow phones with awful battery life to save that money? It's really not that much more, and the experience is completely night and day on a modern smartphone like an Android device or iPhone compared to Windows Mobile 6.

I'm off SERO now, but when you consider that the plan is $30 a month, an extra $20 a month is really nothing to sneeze at.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

When you get a not completely lovely and worthless user experience that could be matched by a $50 feature phone it is.

I'll leave it to others to get in a slap fight about this (since obviously I'm not paying SERO anymore, so you know what I chose to do), but mocking someone for not wanting to increase their bill by 66% is unproductive. Some people want to have a phone that makes calls, texts, and occasionally uses data. If they're willing to sacrifice some speed/ease of use to save 66% every month, I think that's a legitimate choice. Obviously, for heavier phone users, it's a bigger trade off, hence why you and I have chosen to pay the extra money.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Google/Samsung ICS/Galaxy Nexus livestream here:

http://www.youtube.com/android

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Casao posted:

Why would getting the upgrade you've already contracted for require another contract?

Not sure why, but I'm pretty sure it does.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

atomicvocabulary posted:

I have been doing some speed tests, around 15, for the past week at different portions of my city at different times.

Best Ping I got was 580ms around 6pm
Best download I got was 133kbps, twice once at 110am and another at 11pm
Best upload I got was 178kbps at 115am

Evo 3D running stock. 4g is much faster of course as is the ping but only available around 1/5 of the places I go. Are these normal Sprint 3g speeds?

Sprint 3g speeds are almost completely dependent on where you are. Some towers are congested, some aren't. Having said that, I've never heard anyone complain about slow pings, just slow speeds.

I would consider myself in a good Sprint area (Downtown/Campus Madison, WI). Just as an example, I ran speed test and got 171ms ping, 752kbps down and 103kbps up.

I don't test much, but looking in my results and ignoring the times I was on WiFi, I come up with 7 tests spread mostly evenly between July and now. My ping is always about 150-250, my download is usually between 700-1500 kbps (high of 2423), and my upload is usually between 100-200 kbps (high of 747).

There is definitely a problem with Sprint's 3g in many locations, but I've never had issues. Its just a reminder of how important it is to test carriers in your location.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

brc64 posted:

What would you do?

I'm in the same boat, except my EVO is starting to act up (phantom screen taps, randomly underclocks itself). I'm still planning on holding out. I'd love a Nexus prime, but barring that, my plan is a good native ICS device or, last resort, a SGS2 once a stable ICS ROM comes out.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

So on a whim, I went into the new non-corporate Sprint retail/repair center today and showed them my phantom press touchscreen. He claimed that it would be $35 to repair/replace, even when I told him I was out of warranty and not on TEP. He wouldn't touch it because I had CM7 on it, but strongly implied if I reflashed it, he wouldn't hold it against me (and he doesn't have my name/account info).

He's full of poo poo, right?

beergod posted:

So it says I "Save $150" on a new smartphone in roughly a year (when my current two-year contract is up).

Does that mean an iPhone would still be $500? In other words, I wouldn't get it at the deeply discounted $200 that a new customer would?

The wording is confusing, you get the new customer price ($200).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

No, if your phone is having physical problems Sprint will exchange it for $35. Honestly my store never cares if its flashed, but worst case flash it back.

... Now I feel stupid for living with this for however long (4 months?). Is that a non-corporate store policy, or will that work at corporate stores too?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint actually pays 3rd party stores for repairs and does offer larger incentives for repairing phones vs offering exchanges (for obvious reasons), which is why some people won't just exchange your phone probably. So in your case they may just replace the screen, which seems like would possibly fix it. Still $35 for a repair, but if it doesn't fix it within 30 days it can be applied for a full exchange, so no risk of getting double charged.

I'd be totally fine with a repair if it fixed the problem. Hell, I was fine with living with it.

In case they do replace it, can the new EVOs be rooted? I remember people saying for a while they couldn't be.

Now, to wade into XDA to unroot and reflash this... Anyone know of a guide?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

For example, I have a bunch of discrete entries for my girlfriend, each consisting of a different set of text messages we had going back and forth - this seems to be trying to separate them into distinct "conversations" wherein it'll group together texts sent back and forth quickly, but not if they're a while apart. Considering that we really only use texts for short things like asking to pick something up from the store on the way home or asking if I'd like to go to lunch, I end up racking up a lot of these entries and just having to go through and archive them (one by loving one, another gripe)

I use the GV app for everything, and never archive anything on an EVO 4g and haven't noticed any slowdown. The app only loads ~2 screens of conversations by default (I guess this isn't really helpful, but what I was trying to say is I think most Google stuff works best if you don't archive and just let Google do their thing).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Ozmodiar posted:

OK...potentially stupid question:

Sprint's return policy is 14 days...yes?

I'm going to an Apple Store tomorrow, and Apple lists their return policy as 30 days.

I'm still curious and want to try out the iPhone 4S, but I like the idea of getting an extra 2 weeks to try it out...am I missing something, or is it just a better situation for me to buy it at the Apple Store?

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you can only buy Sprint iPhones at Sprint, not the apple store.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

So I just got a new battery for my Evo 4g. It's just a stock replacement, not an extended life. Do I need to do any sort of battery stats reset (and if so, how do I do that. I seem to remember it being an option in recovery?), or should I just plug it in and be good to go?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'd pick up a used Evo, Epic, or NS4G and go with that until their LTE network lights up.

I totally wouldn't blame you for switching for the Galaxy Nexus at this point, but if you don't decide to switch, I'll likely be selling an Evo 4g in very good condition on Wednesday. PM me if you're interested.

EDIT: Obviously, this is directed to raej, not EB.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 18, 2011

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Since it appears that ICS will never be officially released for the NS4G, what ROMs are people using?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's talk that Sprint will probably release it after they release the Galaxy Nexus just to make people buy that first if they want ICS.

Not sure how true that'd be though.

Yeah, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek about never, but I'm ready to upgrade unofficially at this point.

EDIT: This might be a question for the rooted thread, but since I've posted here anyway, I'm using Ubuntu and having a hard time getting the SDK/adb installed. Anyone have a good guide for that?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 21, 2012

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I'm on an eprp 5 line family plan. My sister needs a new phone (and has an upgrade). Is the Admiral still the go-to upgrade if you don't want to pay the $10 4g fee?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

If you are on EPRP all phones have required the $10 data fee since a year ago. Customers with the older SERO plan have had a slight exception until recently, since their plans start at $30, add $10 for a smartphone and $10 for a 4G phone. Since you don't have SERO, unfortunately every phone now requires the $10 fee.

If you must upgrade now, iPhone 4S, Nexus S Galaxy 2 (Epic Touch) and the Evo 3D are the go to phones. What we have been advising on here is to buy a Nexus S or Evo 3D used (they go $200-300 usually) and wait out of the Galaxy Nexus when that comes out.

If she ends up wanting an iphone, obviously just get the iphone now.

Well, she's 14, so she basically wants whatever I say she wants. :P

Thanks for the advice all, I'll probably just send her my EVO 4g.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Thanks for the advice all. I ended up giving her my Evo.

Moving on, I installed oICS on my Nexus S 4g. Have people been using that, or CM9, or something else?

oICS mostly runs pretty well, but I'm seeing some lag, especially when multitasking. For example, when listening to music, or in the browser, when I hit the home button, frequently the recent application list comes up as if I was holding the menu button down. Is this an issue with the ROM, or just that ICS was designed for a device with more RAM/CPU power?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

MrCodeDude posted:

I gave up and activated the Samsung Nexus S. I wrote a letter to eCare letting them know my displeasure with the handling of the whole situation, but I don't expect anything to come of it outside of a canned response.

I still really miss the TP2's physical keyboard, but other than that, the Nexus S is pretty nice.

The Nexus S 4G does get terrible battery life though and it takes forever to charge (first night it took 6 hours to go 0% to 96% - never got to 100%); no wonder the seller included a second battery. Anyone with a Nexus S 4G, do you know of a hack to make it charge 1A through USB?

My Nexus S 4g gets very good battery life (I don't have 4g here, so I leave that off). If I don't use it much, I can use it for 2 days off battery, but even with heavy usage (stream music through subsonic for several hours), I always come home with good battery. All I mean to say is, you might have a bad battery.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Obviously, it's stupid to freak out over rumors 1 day before the official announcement, but this article is saying that they're replacing the excellent screen with an AMOLED, which would suck.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

tomguycot posted:

I think I'd actually prefer AMOLED. I know that the colors aren't quite as accurate as SLCD2 but I still really love the over-saturated colors regardless.

As a whole, I'd probably prefer the average AMOLED over the average SLCD2, but in this case, we know the SLCD2 on the international One X is exceptional, and we don't know whether the (rumored) replacement is pentile, or what it's quality is. Again, at this point, I'm not going to believe anything until the announcement, but I'd rather have a known excellent screen than a shot in the dark.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Well, that phone is ugly as hell, but 2000ma battery and that SLCD2 screen (and a surprise microSD card slot), count me in.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

The Verge's Evo 4g LTE review is out here.

I was pretty sure I was going to get it over the Galaxy Nexus and the S3, and now I'm definite convinced. I know I'm taking a risk when it comes to updates, but I had great luck with my OG Evo, and I'm not afraid to flip it on craigslist (like I did to get my Nexus S 4g) if a good enough new Android release comes out and the Evo doesn't get it.

I still like the look of the original One X better, but I don't think the Evo is quite as hideous as I did the first time I saw it, and I don't really care about the look of the phone anyway. I'm happy on Sprint too. The network around me is quite decent speed wise (~1-2MB down, certainly better than the double digit kilobytes per second horror stories some of you guys get), and coverage is fine. I'm sure it could be faster on another network, but I can stream subsonic just fine, and since I'm on a 5 line EPRP it's still (a little) cheaper than prepaid. I also would blow through just about any data limit given (see subsonic streaming), so the unlimited data helps.

EDIT: I'm probably not going to preorder though, just to see if there are any game breaking issues out of the gate. I know that's no guarantee (hello G2X), but I'm in no hurry to get a new phone anyway, so I don't mind waiting a bit.

EDIT 2: I'm also very curious to hear about the quality of the DAC, but no one in the Android phone thread with a One X has answered me thus far.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 11, 2012

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

nate fisher posted:

I have 5 lines on Sprint. Some of my phones I purchased from Best Buy (EVO, iPhone 4S, and a EVO 3D), others from Amazon (Epic Touch), and even one from Radio Shack (EVO Shift). It doesn't matter where you buy your phone. Sprint treats them just like you purchased in a Sprint store.

This is true UNLESS you're on EPRP or SERO/SERO premium. Just wanted to head off confusion before it starts.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I know the Samsung Epic has had a bad reputation for good reasons for most of its life, but how is it today with latest updates, or with CM7 or 9 on it? Is it worthwhile to coast on until LTE is active in my city?

EB always says that his works very well and has a very active CM9 dev scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

Here's the video of the One X/Evo LTE doing its thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Uo5f2vSxo

The really annoying thing about this for me isn't so much THAT it's doing this, but WHY it's doing it. To the best of my knowledge, it's doing it to avoid launcher redraws because Sense redraws take longer than default launcher redraws, and occur more frequently, because Sense is a memory hog. Default launcher would make this "fix" unneeded, and would make it a better phone anyway.

I'm still leaning in the direction to get this, but I'm very happy with my current phone (Nexus S 4G), so I'm going to sit back and wait to see if Cyanogen support is announced, or HTC comes to their senses (... really not trying to do that) and fixes their "fix."