Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

thisdude23 posted:

Eh, I'll give it a shot. She has an Optimus and is cool now, but I'm thinking more along the lines of when she switches her phone down the road.

I dropped my SERO to get an EVO last year, was on EPRP Family for about five months, and was able to split the family plan back into two SERO Premium lines. And one of the lines was never even SERO to begin with - I opened it in July of last year.

I just went online to the chat and tried about ten different reps before I got what I wanted. Lay it out like "I was previously on SERO, changed to blah blah in order to get this phone, found out that SERO Premium exists now and I'd like to change my line back to that pls".

Several reps seemed to have an issue, because they would try to put me back on regular SERO and of course it was a no go because of my EVO. So make sure they understand you want to be put on SERO Premium.

edit: I called in once for a try and got an immediate denial, so I kept trying online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Chappy posted:

Ah yeah, right now is the instant rebates thing. If there were a mail in rebate, you wouldn't get it.

Is this a recent change? I ordered a phone upgrade on one line in December and activated it to another and got the rebate no problem.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
My sister installed the GV app, and is now sending me texts complaining that "it's hijacked all of my voicemails and sends them to my gmail account instead of my phone! There's no option to stop the call forwarding and it won't stop even though I uninstalled it!"

I don't use GV and am not familiar with it at all, so not only do I not know what the issue is I have no clue how to fix it. Anyone have any advice?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Duckman2008 posted:

Let me know how the update for the shift is please. My fiance got it and her shift has gone to poo poo since the update. Really frustrating.

Anything specific? My sister updated her shift and is having a few problems, most notably being unable to text certain contacts. She uses the stock messaging app and when she types a text to some people and hits "send" it greys the button for a second then goes back to normal like she just typed the message and hadn't hit send yet. Even after she deleted the thread/contact and reentered everything it wouldn't let her send a text.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

letsgoflyers81 posted:

They're not the lenses but picture quality will really suffer if you scratch or scuff them. One of the main reasons I'm getting a case is to make sure the camera housing is recessed and won't make contact with a table or desk or whatever.

I dunno, I cracked the lens on my EVO (it ran in three directions) and it had zero effect on picture quality.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

falz posted:

My Evo Shift always said 3g. When cyanogen came out for it I noticed it was always at 1x which I thought was a bug with Cyanogen. I installed some app that showed me data about the tower I connect to and it confirmed 1x. Went back to Sense and yep, connected to tower at 1x but Sense said 3g.

I had to go into some wacky settings that required my MSL and change some low level setting to enable 3g. So yes, Sense lies and always says 3g, at least on my Shift.

Do you mean your phone, out of the box, was stuck on 1x for some reason?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Spazghost posted:

Has anyone disassembled an HTC EVO 4G before and might be able to tell me what they use to determine whether or not the phone has been disassembled for warranty purposes.

I dropped my EVO and cracked the digitizer and I am considering replacing it myself rather than paying Sprint 100$ to do an insurance claim.

I split my phone apart as far as taking the red backing off to get to the speaker inside, which I guess is probably pretty far apart. Sprint didn't say anything when I took it in to get fixed later on. There were no covered screws or anything as far as I can remember.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I live in the LA area, and for the past couple of months I've been having a weird issue where if I call someone on T-mobile, 75% of the time it'll ring ring ring then at the point I would expect it to go to voicemail, busy signal. The other 25% of the time it'll actually go through to them.

If it screws up and gives me the busy signal I have to hang up and try again and then the call will go through. I've asked the people I'm calling when it happens if their phone had rung previous to the call they just answered and they say no.

Does anyone have experience with what I'm talking about, and if so what's up? I integrated to GV about four months ago and that was one can of worms (it just barely starts ringing on my end before the caller gets sent to voicemail) so I don't know if it's a GV issue or maybe a Cyanogenmod one or maybe just some weird Sprint fuckup that has appeared.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I'm thinking about trying to see if my sister can dump Sprint with the administrative fee thing, port out and port back in on SERO (we have someone else's plan lined up to switch her to)- she's been getting ridiculously lovely service at her house and the Shift update hosed her phone and Sprint says she has to bring it back four times before they'll give her another one, so I think the $85/mo she's been paying since the update in June hosed stuff up has been a bit of a ripoff.

Does anyone know if there's a time limit on how soon she could port back in to Sprint? If so, how long?

edit: derp, I just saw duckman's post. 60 days, correct or no? What does tracking through social mean?

bobula fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 20, 2011

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Duckman2008 posted:

Few things.

Can't get sero anymore. EPRP is nice, bit honestly you probably qualify for some discount that is equivalent. If you have someone who already has it, not sure how that works.

Did you call retentions on the shift problem? They should also give you a free signal booster.

Shift got a software update since the fuckup, did that help at all?

The time before you are allowed to reactivate is tied to social security number, so if you really wanted to port in and out you can as long as its a different person (you seem to have that covered). It is not tied to phone number, just social/account number. If you do do that, you could probably swing the $125 port credit since its still around.

She doesn't have internet in her house, so she can't do the airrave. One of my friends is switching providers and has a SERO plan, he said it shouldn't be a problem to transfer it to her name if she opens another Sprint account beforehand. Is he wrong?

The update fixed a bit of the lagging but it still resets all the time and is just retarded.

If she gets out without having to pay the ETF, does she still need to return the phone?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Alman posted:

ETFs are getting bumped to the same as Verizon on Sept 9th - $350 with decreasing penalty for each month under contract. Kinda sucks but it makes sense. Need to recover subsidy losses.

Does that constitute a material change to the contract as well, or is it only for new contracts?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Can someone give me a script for my sister to read to Sprint in order for them to either fix her phone or get her a new one? She has TEP and has been to the Sprint store twice and called Sprint a couple of times regarding the fuckery her Evo Shift has been up to since the update back in June, and they refuse to replace it.

They just factory reset and send her on her way, still having it randomly kicking to the HTC screen and opening apps of it's own will. They said they won't do anything until she's been to the store about it four times (apparently it's to do with CA lemon laws?) and it's tough for her to find the time to go down there just to waste it. I think it's ridiculous they won't replace it considering she has TEP and it's not even something her fault, but I don't know what to tell her to tell them to get them moving.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Duckman2008 posted:

Give her the retentions number, have her bitch them out. When they asked are toy satisfied, say no until its fixed.

Retentions took good care of her. New phone is on it's way. Thanks!

Oh god, and people working on permanent root again. God bless America

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So I received the replacement evo shift from sprint under their replacement program and dropped the old one off at the post office on the way to work, in the prepaid envelope sprint provided. Then I just thought, hey, was that actually a usps label, or FedEx or UPS or something?

Are sprint's prepaid envelopes usps?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Has anyone here had an issue with "error 16"? I rooted/flashed CM7 to my sister's Evo Shift a few days ago, and it was fine until this morning when it stopped letting her make or receive calls or texts. 4g data worked, nothing else. It has a recorded message saying something like "cannot complete your call, error 16. Please hold while we transfer you to Sprint technical support" and then immediately after it has another message saying to just call Sprint (which she can't do without a working phone, derp)

I googled around and it seems it's an issue on Sprint's end with some security thing that triggers when a different rom than stock shows up being run on the phone. So I called them, they said they'd do a network refresh, and twenty minutes later her phone was working again. Then it did it again tonight, I'm assuming after she switched towers (needing to reauthenticate?) after leaving work.

Obviously this makes the phone really unreliable, and I'm not sure what I can do about it short of flashing back to the stock rom, I guess? Some people on other forums said they had the issue running stock phones, so I'm not sure what's up. I'm going to try calling Sprint again in a minute and see what they can do, but if anyone has any advice I'd like to hear it.

bobula fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 17, 2011

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

oxbrain posted:

I did the same thing to my phone last saturday and haven't had any issues.

It turns out their network refresh didn't reach all of the towers in my area, so they forced a refresh on the servers that host our towers and everything is cool again. Hope it sticks!

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

LorneReams posted:

I currently have a TP2 on the SERO $30 plan. My phone is starting to die...is there something like a TP3 I should get, or is this the end of the line?

Should I just wait for the iphone...how much would that add to my plan(10+10?)

$10 if they don't require the "premium data" addon. $20 if they do.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

A Subtle Dagger posted:

If I have 2 phones on an individual plan, am I able to convert the plan into a Family Plan? Reason being, I bought an Evo 3D back in July and only needed the individual plan at the time but they gave me 2 extra lines with my account. My girlfriend has poo poo credit, so I opened up one of my extra lines and she got also got an Evo 3D. The cost for the plan is now about $200 for both of our phones, but the family plan price is $130. I tried doing it online, but my only option is to upgrade my current plan for more minutes.

Is this possible? Or am I going to have to wait til my contract is up in 2 years?

As far as I know you can change it any time. I changed my plan into a family one and then back to individual after a few months. I haven't seen it around lately, but Sprint used to have something on their site about a "right plan promise" where you could change your plan anytime you liked.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Question about discounts and all that. If the iPhone is going to be $199 for the 16gb version, what would my sister, who has a $75 discount right now ($150 in April, but she's not willing to wait until then) pay? I'm always confused by retail plus discount = actual price, or is it somehow lower, or what?

e: lol never mind. I guess her $75 discount went away, so she's stuck either paying full retail or just waiting until April?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

powderific posted:

gently caress Yes. I called retentions and they let me buy out my contract for my current pro-rated ETF due to the Sprint Premiere gold/silver change that happened last year. I'll be annoyed if someone else manages to get an early upgrade without paying out for it, but I dislike my current phone enough that it's worth it to me to get in on the iPhone.

I'm so glad I got to stick with Sprint and get the iPhone upgrade with only a small fortune instead of a large one. After checking ATT and Verizon plans, I don't see any way I could get away with a plan that was less than $90-100 per month vs my current $62. Here's hoping Sprint can keep up their great plans.

How did you go about this, how many months did you have, and are you getting new customer pricing on the iPhone?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

averox posted:

Guess I got washed out in a sea of iPhone talk which is pretty much why I'm asking this anyways.

So line 2 has an upgrade and I want an iPhone. I hope it'd be like when I got my Evo 3D with my line's upgrade credit. They just sent the phone to me and I did the ESN swap online. Although when I first jumped on Sprint they sent both phones to me already provisioned.

Yeah, it's possible. I did this with two lines/phones on my account. I had to leave the first one on the original line for a month (this was back with the Evo rebates) and the second one I had to tell sprint I was changing it to a different line because something got screwed up and it wouldn't activate hands-free because it was already associated with the other line.

Guys, what's the ETF rate? $20 for each month left?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
If I go on a trip to Canada and text my friends who are with me (we're all on American AT&T or Sprint [me] plans), will I be charged anything extra above my unlimited texting plan?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

blargle posted:

Has anyone rooted a Sprint phone recently? After rooting I get an error 16 when making calls, a message telling me to call customer service, and then it hangs up on me. Customer service tells me that I need to bring the phone to the store.

I flashed CM7 on my sister's Shift after she got a replacement from Sprint, and it did this. I had hell week trying a hundred different things and calling Sprint a million times (they would do a refresh and some new change in their system every time, it never stuck more than a day) and finally had to go back to a Sense-based rom. If you've only rooted and are having this issue more than once I don't know what to tell you, but only changing back to a Sense-based rom was able to fix it for me.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

td4guy posted:

Your sister has a one in a million chance of finding a representative that'll add another SERO line to the account. They'd be more than happy to add an EPRP line though - no worries there.

I went to EPRP family in order to add another line (this was when SERO wasn't allowed Android phones) and a few months later, when Sprint began allowing Android phones on SERO I went into web chat and asked them to return me to my old plan, because I only changed the plan because I thought they wouldn't allow Android on SERO, blah blah blah, and they not only returned my line to SERO, they turned my sister's line (which was created about three months previous) into SERO as well.
It's very unlikely you'll get as lucky, but you might want to try web chat a few dozen times.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So has anyone tried the new EVO that came out a few days ago? I'm thinking about replacing my original EVO with it. How does it measure up?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Ralphus posted:

The Evo Design? I'm on US Cellular now since Sprint's service in my area is pretty bad now, but i got the HTC Hero-S on USCC. It's basically the same as the Design. I had a Moment, an Evo 4g, Evo Shift, Motorola Electrify (Photon), and now this. I think I like it the most out of all of the phones. It's a bit smaller than my old Evo, 4" vs. the 4.3", but I love having a smaller phone. It has a higher resolution screen (QHD) and even though it's only a single core it's pretty damned fast. It's got the 2nd gen snapdragon with the Adreno 205, so it's a decent step up from the original Evo's Adreno 200.

It's by no means the fastest, top-of-the-line phone out, but for me it doesn't really matter. I use my phone for txting, navigation, facebook, and basic games like peggle so I don't *need* multiple cores and a super fast gpu. It does run any game I've thrown at it though, and nothing has seemed choppy or anything like that. This will easily hold me over for at least a year I think, then I'll get another multi-core phone. I love my Electrify but the screen bothered me and the camera wasn't as good as the one in my Evo Shift (in my non-professional opinion anyway- it sucked in low light and was just overall rather cumbersome). The Hero-S has a f2.2 camera so it takes great pictures in low light and it's not a pentile screen like the Electrify so it takes care of my 2 main issues. Battery life is miles better than my original Evo too, I usually charge overnight and then I'm good the entire day with moderate to somewhat heavy usage.

Overall I really like this phone a lot. It's not the latest and greatest thing out, but if you're happy with your Evo 4g and just want a mild speed bump and a great camera and QHD resolution I'd say go for it. It's a great little phone and I have zero regrets about buying it (my old Moment, on the other hand... ugh).

So far there's little to no development going on with it, that's the only possible negative that I can see. I was told by a tech at USCC that it will eventually get ICS, but I'd really like to see at least a root exploit for it and CM7/9 would be fantastic. Hopefully some others will chime in if they've bought one too, I'm curious what other people think of it.

I love CM7 and despise Sense, so I'll probably hold off on any decision for this phone until I see where development is headed. Thanks for the info, though. I just want something a little better, and honestly, a smaller screen would be nice. The EVO is kind of ginormous, but it's been good to me the past year and change.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Sprint launches $20 Android phone

That thing is probably such a piece of poo poo.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I looked on ebay for htc chargers, there's some dude selling tons of original htc chargers (brick only) for like 4 bux. You can pick up cables anywhere for like a dollar.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

The Ferret King posted:

Did you have a good experience with a specific seller that I should check out?

I'm looking at all these chargers and most of these sellers have 20+ negative feedbacks in the last 30 days for defective products. Seems like the business of reselling phone accessories is shady as hell.

I'd be happy to buy from a goon recommended source before committing to another random charger that might turn out to be defective.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150673183964

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Since about a month ago I've been having an issue when making calls with my Evo. I dial, it vibrates and then I either hear an echo (of whatever is making sound on my end) or a ring (normal). The echo means that the call goes through, the person on the other end picks up and can hear me talking but I can't hear them and everything I say echoes back to me. If I hang up and try again, it'll usually start ringing and then everything proceeds normally but sometimes I have to try two or three times to get the call to work. I googled and came up with this which appears to be a similar issue (theirs is dealing with incoming, my problem is entirely with outgoing) but nothing informative.

I hadn't flashed anything new or changed anything on my phone in several months, so I'm pretty certain this is a Sprint issue but since I'm running CM7 and all that I don't believe calling tech support would fix anything, since they'd want to update prls and profiles and do wipes and poo poo, everything that won't fix this. I reflashed my phone this morning to see if that would fix it but no dice. I'm going to try disabling Google Voice now, but I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else here has experienced this issue or not.

bobula fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 28, 2011

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

OptimusMatrix posted:

Anyone have the problem with the Evo 3d where when you hit the power button to turn it on and the screen comes on for a split second and turns itself back off. Also vice versa you hit the power button to turn it off and it goes off for a split second and comes right back on. It's annoying as hell.

Happens with my Evo 4g, too.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
What's the ETF buy out/monthly rate, again? My sister's contract ends in September and she wants an iPhone and has left me to figure out what it'll all cost.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I just got a letter in the mail from Sprint, saying that changes to my account in March 2010 have resulted in my being booted from the Sprint Premier program as of April 2011. :confused:

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Does anyone have advice on the cheapest method of porting out/porting back in? My sister is looking in to buying a SERO plan (she's on EPRP now and doesn't like spending $85 a month) and needs to do just that. When I did it, I went with T-mobile but I recall it costing about $50. I think they charged me a sim activation fee or some crap. Anyway. Would it be best to buy a cheapo prepaid for $20 then port out and then back in, or is there another, even cheaper way that one of you knows of?

She wants to keep her number, and the plan she's on now isn't in her name so she shouldn't have issues coming back to Sprint with a plan under her name.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Unrelated, is there a setting somewhere that is stopping texts larger than 160 characters from being broken up into multiple messages? I can't get them to send with either the default messenger or Handcent. And speaking of Handcent, I have it set as the default program but whenever I boot my phone up, the Messaging app pops up to helpfully tell me I have tons of new messages that Handcent has already received. Any way to get that to stop?

On Chomp, it has a setting in sms/mms networks>mobile carrier settings>cdma network split for that. I know there's a setting on Handcent too, I just don't remember how to get to it. But there's an option somewhere in there for splitting long messages.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Giblet posted:

No, if you were placed on swac this would be the case but not eprp. Sero can migrate to eprp but not the other way around.

I did manage to trick a rep into turning one of my EPRP lines into SERO, but I think that was a total fluke and will never happen again.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Smeed posted:

Reposting this here because I accidentally posted it in the generic android thread:

Hopefully one of the Sprint employees here would can answer this. I've got an EVO3D that according to the sprint website I can get a $90 credit for. I've got a $110 ETF. Can I walk into a sprint corporate store, hand over my phone for a $90 credit, and then go to an ATT store and transfer my number?

I'm pretty sure the credit for phone thing only works if you're signing another contract.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
So I've got an upgrade coming up in a few months. I have an Evo 4G that I'll hopefully be rid of then, if I can find the right phone. Is there something coming out soonish that has a hardware keyboard and won't be a piece of poo poo, or something without a keyboard, with around a 4" screen that won't be a piece of poo poo? I'm kind of tired of having a largish screen and just want something that fits nice, and I'm burned out on touchscreen keyboards too, unless I find one that's just right.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Hoppy posted:

There are not good phones with hardware keyboards because they cater to a very niche market, and the phones typically do not end up well supported. It also introduces a moving part to your phone which increases the chance of eventual failure.

Keep in mind with Android, you can install whatever keyboard you want. While you still have your Evo, give Swiftkey a shot and see if it takes care of your issues.

As far as touchscreen phones with a big screen, both the Evo 4GLTE and Galaxy S3 would fit the bill. I am absolutely in love with my S3.

It looks like I may go with the Photon, pending how good the aftermarket scene is. I love CM, so that's the main factor in picking my phone. Most of the other phones out right now have too big of screen for my taste, too. I'm going to check out swiftkey, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

CharlesM posted:

I like my HTC Arrive a lot.

By the time my upgrade comes (October or November) the Arrive is going to be pretty low on the totem pole. Not to mention, Windows Mobile. The size of that phone is pretty nice, though.