Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I guess I am in a super small minority.
I bought a new house a bit over a year ago and the verizon tower is on the other side of the hill so I can't get a signal. Verizon told me that 13 people in my subdivision have network extenders and after some negotiating the supervisor agreed to give me one for free but they were out of stock. He promised they would call me back and didn't. When I called back 3 weeks later they denied that they ever said such a thing. After another week of demanding that a supervisor call me back I called sprint and they offered me a better deal. (Also I know that sprint works at my house)

Currently I pay $165ish for 2 lines. 450 mins, 500 text and unlimited data on my line, 450 unlimited text and 2 gb data for wifey. Sprint offered me $100 for both lines unlimited everything.

I'm just a little hesitant to give up my vzw unlimited data even though they've been such pricks to me. I get that as a legacy unlimited data holder verizon hates me with a firey passion.

Aside from (it appears anyway) losing the ability to stream my xfinity service using the xfinity go app is there anything I'd be losing out on? For what it's worth we are in the Eugene Oregon area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Biodome posted:

Does that $100 include the price of the phones?

It does not, however as a verizon legacy unlimited I have to buy my phone at retail forever anyway.
I can get an iPhone 5c for $150 easily but am looking at the 6 Plus. Even with the cost of the phone I'd still be paying less and my wife would gain unlimited data.

As far as data goes, she uses about 1.9 gb every month and every other month she goes up to about 2 1/2 gb which verizon charges an extra $10 for. So if she went hog wild she could be raising my bill by $20/mo every month. I use 8-20 go/mo every month but once used 40 between the Olympics and mlb.tv. So I can not give up unlimited data, anything else would be way too expensive.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Ignore it for seven years while dodging calls from collections agencies and let it fall off your credit report.

No no no. You answer the phone the first time and say "pursuant to the consumer protection act I here demand all communications to be in writing." And then recycle the mail they send.

Almost all of my clients have bad credit and screen all calls / dodge creditors all day. It makes it a serious pain when I try to call them from my unreadable untitled phone line when they are positive I am a collector. Ironically I am calling to try and keep their food stamps from being late because they didn't fill out / sign their form or attach pay stubs like the paperwork says to.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

theblackw0lf posted:

So Sprint's unlimited data is extremely appealing to me. But I'm concerned about coverage and speed. Doing some research on the internet is yielding some mixed messages regarding this.

What are people's experiences regarding coverage, reliability, and data speed on LTE networks?

And is "unlimited" really unlimited?

I just switched from verizon 12 days ago. I've used 5.5 gb and no throttling. I've had basketball and baseball games streaming quite a bit. Coverage is just about as good as verizon in my area (eugene, Oregon) and the speed is pretty comparable but the only time I got really impressive speed on verizon was in Portland. Happy with the switch so far but it will be nice when the network gets built up better along I5.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Everything has been fine since I switched except that my phones have not been on my bill (iPhone 6 and a 6 plus on easy pay). I'm thinking that the sales guy messed it up and didn't get the phones on the bill. Do they ever just take 2-3 months to start billing for that or do I need to call then to get them to fix it?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I said come in! posted:

That's really not the phones fault so much as it is Sprints awful network. I've used three different phones on Sprint, they are all the same quality when making phone calls. I guarantee that if you were to make a call on Verizon, using the same phone, the quality would be way better.

Not always. My wife and I both had iPhone 5s on Verizon and the quality was average / normal.
Switched to Sprint and she has an iPhone 6, I have a 6 Plus, and we get HD Voice by default when we get connected. Even when the person I am talking to does not have HD Voice, their call sounds just as clear as when I was on Verizon. (Excepting that the service actually works at my house, and Verizon did not.)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Anyone know at what point sprint decides that you are a data hog and pushes you off the unlimited plan? I'm regularly at about 18-20/mo but might use more with baseball playoffs and then football and basketball underway.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

nimper posted:

23 gigabytes is now the point where they start throttling you if they feel like it.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/protecting-the-97.htm

I read that as such that if I upgrade I get pushed into that or if I didn't already have unlimited and signed up for it. So since I switched to sprint in February I should be good?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

So I switched (back after many years absence) to Sprint about 25 months ago now. My contract is over and my phone payments are over. I want to drop the TEP from my phones because at this point it seems silly to pay $22/mo for 2 phones to be covered when they will have like a $199 fee to service them... however I am getting a bit paranoid that if i use the website that they will somehow interpret that as agreeing to new terms of service and changing my plan to whatever low res video deal all the providers seem to be doing now. Am I being overly paranoid about it?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Here's something stupid. My wife's phone is on the fritz so I looked on sprints website and it says she can get a 64gb iPhone 6s refurbished for 15.63/mo. Great, so I start trying to order it, sign in and bam! It's trying to charge me 19.80 for the same thing. What gives? I spent 20 minutes on the phone with their sales people thanking me profusely for being a customer , and making no progress. I had a client coming in and couldn't sit on the phone another 20 minutes to see where their wandering path led.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Yeah that's what it turned out to be. It took about 45 minutes to get the guy at sprint to see what the difference was. I informed him it was horseshit (politely)and asked for the price to be matched and he told me it couldn't be done. I'm torn between just paying the extra $4/mo and telling them to go gently caress themselves. The only problem is that I hate Verizon and at/t more than I hate sprint and t mobiles service is rear end in my area.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

It was an unbelievable pain in the rear end to sign up for the free account. If you’re on an iPhone don’t use safari to do it. Just use chrome/Firefox or else you can end up stuck in a loop where it doesn’t recognize that you added the service.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I wish the rest of the world worked that way. If you could open and close your fridge 10 times and POW! You’ve got gyros!

My cousin Tim’s old mercury (I think Cougar) did work like that. Pull up on the locked door handle about 5 times and it opened.

Thanks for the heads up on the free $5

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Cage posted:

Worth $300, about what I figured. Its also too big for the dresser I was gonna put it on. Oops.

Too small, throw it back!
I kid, I kid.

Even without a smart tv you can enable the hdmi power on with a lot of tvs. I have a 3d Samsung that isn’t very smart and I tell Alexa to turn my Xbox on and the Xbox turns the tv on. Then my 7 year old and 4 year old fight over who gets to play fortnite on the Xbox and who has to play on the PlayStation. Your mileage may vary

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

RodShaft posted:

I have one of the first LE TVs from when they were trying to break into the American market. Zero of the smart features still work and I'm surprised it still works as a display at all. It hasn't powered on with HDMI in 2 updates and the last update was 3 years ago.

CEC is kinda flaky at times anyway depending on who makes it.
I have a samsung 3d tv thats in my game room. On the bright side I can say, "Alexa, turn on my xbox" when I walk in the house and by the time I've taken a leak I can sit down to an already-on tv and play something. On the downside, when I turn off my xbox my tv turns off and if I want to watch Tivo I have to turn the tv back on again. I had another tv that would refuse to change which HDMI port you were using even when you specifically told it to go to a specific one.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

wish i had known about that last night when I was ordering wifey some earrings.
oh well, $5 off xbox headphones it is

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Do they list the bring-your-own requirements?
Does it need to be a sprint phone or can it be a T-Mobile phone?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

It really doesn't sound like a bad deal. My oldest kid is almost 8 and he has been asking for an iPhone since he turned 4. I was just curious from the standpoint of "since it's a 1 year commitment, I want to ensure the phone will easily survive the year". I can activate my old iPhone 6+ for him so he can play pokemon / whatever and I don't have to set up a wifi hotspot for him. I can't imagine the taxes and fees to be that bad, right?
I would also assume that this is a standard Sprint "bill credit to be applied within 2 billing cycles" sort of thing.

EDIT: I called to confirm that adding the line would not switch my existing lines' plans (unlimited freedom) to the new plan which offers less wifi hotspot and lower video quality allowance. They assured me it wouldn't make any difference and so I went ahead and did it. Now I have to come to terms with giving a 7 year old an iPhone to play with (at specific times, not carte blanche)

otter fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 26, 2020

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

My T-Mobile Tuesday app offered me a sandwich at a restaurant (Dickey's) that closed months ago. Yay!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I might actually take the bait on it just because I want to see their quarantine edition of the Princess Bride.
I could imagine though, they are having a meeting to look over new "talent"
Channel head: What's the status on that new Youtube channel?
Channel scout: Well, the direction was terrible, the acting was rubbish, the editing was just... yeah not good. The writing of the show made me die a little inside and reconsider why I went to college.
Channel head: That's the best report I've heard all week. Let's offer them a $1M development deal before Peacock scoops them up!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Do you think we can still get our free membership for Quibi since it's now shutting down already?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I still have an old phone (iphone 7Plus), my wife has the non-plus version.
My battery is for poo poo these days, and I know I can get one for $50 at best buy installed and limp along for another year with apps ceasing to be functional slowly, but I was thinking about getting a new(er) phone.
I'm looking at iPhone 8, X, XR, XS, etc. Probably nothing as new as an 11.

Im just thinking - if I were to buy an off-contract phone like an 8Plus, or something would I be better off getting a Tmo phone and having them convert me? or a Sprint phone and leaving it untouched?

I might be crazy but if I go to the Sprint app and look at options, they are all Tmo versions. I don't want to call Sprint/Tmo because they will invariably give me wrong information and end up messing up my plan.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So do we get any iPhone incentives, or should I look forward to shelling out 700?

$700? Don’t you mean $1100? :smug:

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

puppy party posted:

Sprint Select is how they take you from the Sprint billing system into the T-Mo billing system and put you on T-Mo for good. Magenta Max is the top of the line unlimited plan for T-Mo. They have a full breakdown of everything included in it under the "plans" section of the T-Mo website.

I don't generally consider myself stupid, but I am confused by their plans.
Right now I still have sprint sims, and sprint plan.
I'm basically going to have to lose my old service plan to get an iphone 13, aren't i?
Right now I have 3 lines (originally it was the 2 lines for $100 unlimited iphone plan. They did the "free line for life" deal to add the 3rd one for $5 in taxes monthly)
Their plans site reads that they do the pricing for 3 lines, with the 3rd line free? So Magenta Max it says is like 47/line but it also says $140/mo. How is that 3rd line free?
Are they saying it's actually $70/mo for 2 lines and they average it down to 47? Cause that's a huge price spike over what im paying now...

Also, would I lose my free hulu?

otter fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 17, 2021

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

puppy party posted:

Sprint = Hulu
T-Mo = Netflix

If you migrate off Sprint you lose Hulu. You also can’t go back to Sprint. Period, donezo. I am fairly certain that migrating allows you to carry over the free lines, but I’m not 100% on that. So then you just get the normal charges for lines 1-2 which are the expensive ones anyway. I can try and take a closer look when I’m back online on Monday and see if I can scrape up some info about the free lines and how they are handled in migration and what that pricing should look like.

Is it some special version of Netflix with different restrictions than the regular one? I’ve had my same Netflix account since like 2009 and I don’t want to lose the ability to watch on several devices at once.

I’m nervous about the switchover.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

ive been trying to do a web chat to find out what my migration options are and so far my conclusions are:
The t-mo website is terrible and unstable causing disconnects and
The t-mo / sprint (especially) agents don't know how to tell me info and just want me to go into a brick and mortar store.

further developments:
The agent is telling me I can get $600 trade in for each my iphone 7 and 7 plus, and $400 trade in for my iphone 6 plus. Not "up to" but actual amounts. This seems too good to believe.

otter fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 21, 2021

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

This morning I finished the ordering of the new phones for 2 lines on Sprint. The web customer service guy said I don't have to change my plan at all ($115/mo for 3 lines taxes included, unlimited everything aside from reasonably limited tethering) and I don't have to "leave sprint".

So here's something I have a question on. As of January 2022 they will shut down the sprint CDMA network.
Does that mean LTE will remain active and I don't have to replace my iphone 6plus (sprint edition) that I use on my "free line" which is basically a placeholder for when my oldest kid gets old enough to need a phone? At this point he basically uses it for Pokemon Go and stuff on occasion.
If I have to replace it, what is the lowest iPhone I can get and keep service on the phone?

edit: after struggling with the online chat they finally told me either sprint or tmo versions will work. eesh. 4g connectivity will continue for all devices, but cdma will not.

otter fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

If I do any international travel, it will be because I won the lottery and I’ll gladly pay more for it.
With my kids the extent of international travel is going to the Taco Bell drive through.