Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008
Ok, someone suggest a plan for this. My ol lady and my 2 kids all need phones with a small bucket. 500 would be more than plenty with mobile to mobile and text interweb would be a plus. What would be the best plan for this? Looking at the plans it would be cheaper to use virgin but, I'd rather not go that way. and dumb text type phone for the kids and a random pos smart phone for her. She has a800w and it looks like it just came out of the box. She's also never had data on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Are you on the plan as well? This is where Sprint sometimes falls short fyi, where one person wants a smartphone, the rest don't.

Smartphone: If even one line gets a smartphone you MUST get the Everything Data 1500 plan. Plan is base of $129.99, $19.99 each for lines 3 and 4. $10 per line if you get a smartphone. So if you have 3 lines, 1 smartphone that is $129.99 + $19.99 + $9.99 = $159.99 a month.

Non-Smartphone: If you are not on the plan, the question arises does your "ol lady" even need a smartphone? I would recommend getting 3 Rumor Touches and going on the Everything Messaging Plan $99.99. Still way more mins than they need, only $109.99 for 3 lines so you save $50 a month, and unlimited texting.

Remember you can pretty easily find a discount off any of those plans.
i'm on the 99$ everything plan and i use every bit of it

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

mophomanners posted:

Ok, someone suggest a plan for this. My ol lady and my 2 kids all need phones with a small bucket. 500 would be more than plenty with mobile to mobile and text interweb would be a plus. What would be the best plan for this? Looking at the plans it would be cheaper to use virgin but, I'd rather not go that way. and dumb text type phone for the kids and a random pos smart phone for her. She has a800w and it looks like it just came out of the box. She's also never had data on it.

Looks like I'll be getting the kids some virgin mobile action as @ 25 bucks a month for unlimited text and inter-web's i can't come close to that anywhere

Anyone have any issues with virgin? ( billing etc. i know about the network)

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

zeek40 posted:

At least Sprint's maps aren't as bad as Clear's maps. According to Clear's maps, there's a tower right near my office, but I can't even get signal standing on the office roof.

if its on clear's map there's a tower

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

naughty_penguin posted:

Where did you hear about this? The coverage map doesn't show 4G, and I am standing right by that hideous statue outside Wood Hall and I am not getting 4G.

pretty sure the wmu site is active..

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know if the WiMax tower is actually on campus but if it is it's probably on Sprau Tower. Try somewhere over by the library.

Of course if you can't even get it outside of Wood, then I doubt it'll ever be strong enough to get into Portage.

I'd say its probably on the campus..:ssh:

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you keeping secrets from us? What do you know about Kalamazoo WiMax?

It's alive and well?...:tipshat:

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Ozmodiar posted:

How does Kalamazoo, MI get WiMax before Toledo, OH?
It's a spectrum protection site it is build for wide area coverage not for saturation.

naughty_penguin posted:

I'm pretty sure clearwire is headquartered in Grand Rapids, MI which is like 45 minutes away from Kzoo.

clearwire is HQ's in Kirkland WA.

goku chewbacca posted:

Can you tell me about the Clear 4G rollout in Scranton, PA? I think its still a test market because its not listed in the list of WiMax cities. Sprint's coverage map denies its existence, but Clear's map is, of course, a gross exageration and doesn't show the tower locations.

Also, are you a Clear tech, or do you work on Sprint's CDMA/EvDO network as well? Despite Scranton being the 'region capital' of the former third party iPCS network (or probably because iPCS severely neglected it), EvDO coverage outside of the central cities and Interstate 81 corridor is non-existant. Can I expect much of the 1x network to be converted to EvDO, or will Network Vision focus more on backhaul?

Scranton is again one tower built not built for saturation.

No I sometimes work with the Ericsson people but not on a daily basis and I do not personally work on the cdma or iden networks.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

The Entire Universe posted:

Well no wonder Clearwire is broke. It's going to suck if someone comes in and jacks their spectrum in this area, though I don't know how long until their usage license expires/gets pulled by the FCC.

no one can come in and jack the spectrum.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

hoonchops posted:

Not the auctioned spectrum, the EBS. http://www.digitalcommunities.com/blogs/broadband-nation/Clearwire-Educational-Broadband-Service-Spectrum-121510.html

The deadline is today btw.

may 11th is the deadline

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

falz posted:

It appears that Sprint has begun to roll out 4g in my city (Madison, WI) unexpectedly. I don't see this on their coverage map or on clear.com. Anyone have a source of more up to date data or possibly their announcements about such things?

These are spectrum protection sites there are about a thousand of them Madison is not being "built" just a tower or two.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

falz posted:

Where did you find this info?

I do work for clearwire:airquote:.......

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

falz posted:

Ah, thanks. Any data on where exactly these placeholder towers are located and if they are on permanently?

yes they are on permanently and you can find them here http://www.clear.com/coverage

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

alansmithee posted:

:words:

It's Motorola prepare to get your hopes up only to be disappointed by under performance

mophomanners fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 11, 2011

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Are there any Sprint maps that are so precise that it shows the exact street a tower is on? A friend of mine just got a Sprint phone but he wants to know how far the tower is from his house (in Iowa).

4g or sprint cdma tower?

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

shbeagle posted:

Do sprint stores generally have an airave, or an equivelant, onsite to boost network strength for demo phones?

Sprint stores generally have real genuine repeaters same with bestbuys etc. If needed. We would not change the antenna for better coverage of a store. That makes absolutely no sense.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Matlock posted:

Sprint just rolled out WiMax this week in my neck of the woods (BFE).

I didn't know they were still investing in it.

They aren't where are you at?

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

The on-air date for that site is 2/11/11.....
So you should turn your 4g on more often.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Sole Survivor posted:

It's good to see that there's still a slight hope for 4G in the Metro Detroit area.

How's that?

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Where are you getting your news about these LTE sites?

http://s4gru.com/

I assume, I'm a sponsor over there as well..

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008
Can anyone recommend the Galaxy Note 2? I have no reason to stick with WiMax phones any longer. I'm still out in the field at tower sites and I think it could be great and it could be cumbersome. I'd like to read some first hand accounts.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Krime posted:

You will love it. If you're even considering it, go for it.

Yeah, it will seem large at first, but good news... you adapt to it pretty quick.

The phone is thin, obviously tall and wide, the battery is accurately described as a beast.

I use it with two hands now and then. For the times I do use it one handed, I activate the "one handed operation" options (dialer).

I don't use the S-Pen often, but it does work well and reviews back this up.

It has "media buddy" screens that enact when you go to do something special.

Plug headphones in? Brings up a special media central screen.
Pull out the S-Pen? Same thing, the phone brings up a special S-Pen themed "home page"

I cannot recommend this phone enough if you have the slightest inkling you would want one.

How do you carry it / does it fit in your pocket?

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

UnbornApple posted:

Unless you're certain the Note 2 is what you want I'd say wait. You missed all the great deals from the holidays, so if you have to pay 'full price' may as well wait for the shiny new stuff.

I hope it goes on sale soon my EVO3d has a funky echo and a crackling ear speaker

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008
249 @ amazon is the best I've seen currently, how good of a deal did I miss out on?

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Nice dude. Congrats on not only leaving, but getting out of wireless!

Wireless is where the money is...(No, really)

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Mistikman posted:

I just grabbed a Note II yesterday and holy balls is it awesome. It has been running on the battery for 12 hours now and is only at 77%. I loving love the battery life so far.

Also, it's better than the S3, in that it has a 1600mhz quad core vs the 1200mhz dual core in the S3.

Better battery life, way faster processor, a stylus which is pretty rad in how it works, and a huge screen (if that's your thing.)

I also picked one up yesterday after forcing best buy to match amazon on not only the phone but a defender as well (saves me 130 chickens)

I Have gotten the Did you buy a phone that big because your getting old and can't see anymore type comments it's been rock solid for the first 24h.I'm getting used to it not being the HTC UI. Somethings I don't care for, It is what it is.

Also everyone that has said omg that's so huge the first thing I do is say put it in your pocket.. It hasn't not fit yet (with a defender on it.)

One huge plus is the lack of delay on the camera.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

yellowjournalism posted:

Welp after wasting about $70 trying to replace my Evo 3d's cracked digitizer and severing the LCD cable (yup, I hosed that one up) and getting another entire front housing/LCD/digitizer combo, now the backlight doesn't work and the phone heats up to excessive temperatures while yelling about the charger not providing enough power to the phone.

I give up. unless someone here knows a thing or two about Evo3D backlight issues

So:
-my upgrade isn't till August
-I badly need a smartphone
-I live in Albany, CA, which happens to be RIGHT where the 4G line stops :[

Should I just get a cheaper android phone (Galaxy Nexus or below) and wait to use my upgrade on something amazing, when it's more likely they will have upgraded SF Bay enough to reach me? Or just go all the way and get the best LTE hotness right now (Evo LTE? Galaxy S3)?

I'll sell you my 3d with ext battery and otter-box..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008
Sprint flagship phones normally launch late June /early July