Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

FISHMANPET posted:

I got the early in for the GV/Sprint integration, and today I received my first short code message. I don't get an email notification (I'm guessing I only get notifications for messages sent to my GV number, and not my Sprint number). The text shows up in my GV app, but not in the built in SMS app.
Which option did you pick?

I've tried to explain my question before, but I'll try it again...

I have a Sprint number, say 222-555-1212, and a Google Voice number, say 333-777-2323. All of my friends have my Sprint number and all of my coworkers have my GV number. When I make a phone call, I can pick whether or not to make the call using Sprint or GV. SMS is a little more convoluted, but similar situation there.

I want to take advantage of all the Google Voice features for my Sprint number. I'd love to be able to say that calls to 222-555-1212 will also ring other numbers, and all that other cool poo poo. But I do not want to lose my existing GV number, either, since that's effectively my work phone. What I do not want is for 333-777-2323 to become my primary phone number.

Sooooo... if I already have a GV number, and I choose to port my Sprint number in, will I lose 333-777-2323? Will I end up with two GV numbers? How will I manage settings for each phone number?

This is my dilemma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/06/sprint-evo-view-4g-tablet-to-launch-with-honeycomb-flyer-cant/

Apparently the EVO View will, in fact, ship with Honeycomb. Honeycomb covered in Sense, which seems a little weird to me, but not really surprising.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Not sure about that. I did the thing where I still use my GV number as my GV number, and since activating it the other way means clicking "change/port my GV number" I'm little leery of testing it out myself.
So what happens if somebody calls your (former?) Sprint number? Is that number just dead now?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Where the gently caress did this come from?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-07/at-t-verizon-required-by-u-s-to-share-networks-for-mobile-data-traffic.html

And what does it mean for Sprint consumers, if anything? Does it mean we'll finally get EVDO roaming on Verizon's network? Does it mean that Sprint will stop caring if >50% (or whatever) usage is roaming? This is crazy, and seems to have come out of nowhere.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

heat posted:

I'm pretty sure it means EVDO on Verizon's network. I'm also pretty sure Verizon will find a way to throttle that poo poo, regardless whether or not it's legal.

If it means EVDO and no longer having a roaming data limit, the idea of flashing a Verizon PRL is suddenly way more appealing...

Realistically, though, I honestly have no idea what to expect from this. I'm not even sure that I agree with it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

And still waay a douche move, if not outright illegal.
If I still lived where I did before, I think I could keep a fairly clear conscience. Verizon: full bars; Sprint: constantly switching between crap and roaming. Even the Airave didn't help much, because it was only able to cover so much of the house.

I don't really think it's any less ethical than tethering without a plan, and I wouldn't even consider unless it wasn't costing Sprint a dime. And even then, I'd need a good reason, which I don't really have any more. I just said it would be more tempting.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

heat posted:

Lots of old houses have chicken wire in the walls, which does a pretty good imitation of a faraday cage when it comes to wireless signals

It was my wife's parents' house, and I don't know much about the structure, but I had the Airave pretty much in the middle of the house. The house was fairly large, so I'm sure that's part of it, but it wasn't the only problem.

Service was crap in whole general vicinity, so even when I wasn't home, if I was anywhere near it, it was just as bad (and the Airave sure as hell wasn't going to help me there). God help you if you were on a call while leaving the house. But then Sprint started "improving" their service in the area, which as best as I could tell meant that now I had crap EVDO signal, which my phone wanted to grab onto over the strong 1x only Airave signal.

I worked around that issue by keeping my phone connected to wifi when I was home, but I similar (or worse) range problems with wifi than I did with the wifi, which meant if I went to either edge of the house, it would be hit or miss how my phone would react. So I guess that does probably suggest something in the walls.

Anyway, I wouldn't advocate PRL hacking just for the hell of it... and right now all it would really do would be get your data turned off pretty quickly because Sprint seems pretty serious about that poo poo (at least, that's the impression I got from reading those threads).

I guess this whole thing is a little bit of a sore spot for me, because when I decided to go with Sprint, everybody kept saying "oh, it roams on Verizon!" and that sounded great until I discovered how lovely roaming can be when you're just on the outskirts of a coverage area (despite what the loving map says).

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

goku chewbacca posted:

Good thing these multi-billion dollar telecoms (with legal and lobbying budgets to match) have loyal supporters like ExcessBlarg to defend them from big baddies like the FCC and TOS-violating customers.
I feel it's important to say that, despite everything I just posted, this new law does sound like it's overstepping to me. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing Verizon get hosed over as much as the next guy, but forcing them to share their network? Good for the little guys, but how does that promote growth again? I don't really get it... I guess the argument is that if small carriers are allowed to use existing infrastructure, they can have more money to spend on building out their own... but that argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The best they can do is serve as a competitive agents in the limited markets they do serve. Their services appeal to folks who spend 99% of their time at home, in the region of native coverage. But since folks (reasonably) expect their phones to continue working on the few occasions when they do have to travel, even if they have to pay extra for it, it's very hard to sign this group up if there's no roaming option at all.

So the trick is, if the big providers refuse to offer reasonable roaming options to the small carriers, the small carriers will lose their customer base, giving the big providers an opportunity to buy them out and reduce market competition. That's a rather horrible thing for customers.
I accept this explanation. Thank you.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Also, any time I got 0 bars, my Diamond would turn the screen on for no other reason than to remind me how lovely my service was.
I loving hated that about WinMo. "You have no service! Since that alone isn't enough of a battery drain, I'm going to wake your phone to tell you about it! I hope you have a lock screen set up, because I don't loving care if I'm in your pocket when I do this!"

But I did love the fact that WinMo let me set things like 1x only or roam only easily enough, depending on the ROM. That, and USB fast charge. I do miss those things sometimes.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Mahoning posted:

To anyone who cares, we just got a leather case in for the motorola xoom. I wonder what that means.

That Peta hates you?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Sprint, you so crazy.

http://now.sprint.com/alltogethernow/ (WARNING: turn down your speakers before clicking!)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Alman posted:

Yeah, if I were 100 (or any age, really), I'm not sure I'd want everyone and their mother knowing my e-mail address and phone number...

The real question is how many dick pics is she going to get today?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

nate fisher posted:

My only bitch about CM7 is it drops 3G a lot more than the Sense ROMs I used. Somebody said that Sense ROMs doesn't show 1X and that is why it seems I am dropping 3G a lot more. Well after testing streaming services on CM7 and a Warm Sense ROM, Warm can hold a 3G connection without dropping while CM7 keeps dropping. I have to turn off data on CM7 to get it to go back to 3G most of the times.

Just to be clear I am on the edge of 3G in the boonies at work and this is not a really a issue when in town. That said when I am driving and streaming in the middle of Knoxville I get a lot more drops on CM7 than I did on Warm.
You have to install some 3rd party software (or dig deep into some normally hidden menus) on a Sense ROM to see whether or not you're actually connected to EVDO. There flat out is no 1x icon on Sense ROMs. It will always report "3G" in the notification bar if you're connected to the wireless network. CM7, on the other hand, has separate icons for each, so it correctly reports your status.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

helsabot posted:

What exactly do you mean taboo? I'm just curious as to what would happen to the airave if you actually did order a phone on that line. And what happens if you call the number linked to the airave??
Forget taboo, I didn't even think it was possible to use upgrade eligibility on an Airave (or Airvana, I guess) line. Wouldn't that effectively kill your Airave's service?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I'm pretty happy with CM7 right now, but has HTC said anything about a Gingerbread update for the EVO? They were one of the first to hop on board with Froyo, but I haven't heard a peep about Gingerbread. It seems surprising to me that the Droid X is going to get it first.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Nothing like a leaked test ROM with absolutely no information attached to it... but at least it's something.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

TheBlackMallard posted:

Has anyone used both the Evo and Evo Shift? I'm thinking about trading my Evo for a new Evo Shift since it has CM7 now and was wondering how they compare in terms of battery life, etc. The Evo is slightly too big for me and I wouldn't mind having a hardware keyboard.

I have an EVO and my wife has the Shift. I personally couldn't give up the massive screen size on the EVO, but I know she prefers the Shift for that very reason (my phone is "too big" for her). The keyboard is nice, from what I can tell. It's also got a little trackpad thing on it which I think you can use to move between text fields. Battery life is great, from what I can tell. Out of the box she was getting a full day easy, although admittedly she is a light user compared to most.

The biggest complaint is volume button placement, which gets in the way when sliding the keyboard in and out (it's very easy to accidentally adjust your volume constantly) when trying to get to the keyboard. She found an app that seemed to help with that a little bit, though.. something that sits in the notification bar and gives you so many seconds to confirm a volume change request before reverting to the previous setting.

It's also drat snappy. I believe it has a slower clock speed than the EVO, but it's a newer generation processor, and the few times I've picked it up and played with it, I've been impressed with how smooth everything was.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

Does that have anything over the built-in task manager? Settings > Applications > Running services lets you see what you have running and the CPU time everything's used, plus you can kill things right there if something's gone haywire and is pegging your CPU.

I have System Panel Lite or something like that which I use to occasionally kill tasks. I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong place or what, but things like Market don't seem to show up in the built in task manager (there are rare occasions where killing Market is useful), and the other one I occasionally need to kill is Browser. I didn't know about the long press back option, though, so I may just check that out.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Chappy posted:

Feel free to put this info in the OP. My info for eprp is as follows :

Clinton.Chapman@sprint.com 530.

They are actually wanting us to give this info out to anyone that wants it now, so feel free to use it for anyone you want. Give it to your loving mailman if he wants eprp.

But please use mine and not that dude from the blog. They are giving prizes and stuff for people with the most referrals.
Any particular reason? That sounds like pretty much the opposite of what I would expect Sprint to want. Weird.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I'm probably going to have to pass on the Google Voice integration. I got my invite tonight, but when I looked, I saw what I was afraid to see. If I choose to make my Sprint number my Voice number, I'll lose my existing Voice number (it stays active for 90 days). I don't want that, and I don't want all my Sprint calls to show up as my Voice number either (I want to keep things separate), so this isn't for me.

Ideally, I'd like to just have two separate Voice numbers, one of which happens to be my Sprint number, but it doesn't work that way.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

You probably could, but you can only logon to one account at a time for the Android Google Voice app.
Yeah, which again doesn't help my circumstances.

uapyro posted:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cjlWRDFTWERkZEIxUzVjSmNsN0ExU1E6MA

There's where you can do it, I've used it 3 times so far, maybe 4th time is the final.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=2d70d04e6241089f&hl=en
This wouldn't help me because of the above. My Sprint number is my personal number and my Voice number is my work number. I'd like to convert my Sprint number to a Voice number to take advantage of all the cool Voice features on the line all my friends and family already know, but not if it means I have to lose my work number.

I just wish there was a way to have multiple lines associated with a single account, but that could get confusing to manage (or even use) pretty quick. At least I can set my wife up with one, though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I'm thinking about what to do, and I have an idea. I think I can create a new Google account devoted specifically for my current Google Voice number, which I use for work. I can then use the form linked earlier to transfer that Voice number to the new account.

This frees up my main account for me to convert my Sprint number to a Google Voice number, which is what I ultimately want. And since I keep my existing Voice number on a different account, I can still have it redirect to my Sprint number (90% of my use for my work number is incoming calls, so that wouldn't change). I'd lose the ability to access the work account through the Voice app on the phone, but that's okay as long as people can still call it and reach me.

That should work, right?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Ozmodiar posted:

I don't see why not.

Then again, using "Option 2" - all of my friends can still call my Sprint number...but when I call them back it appears from my 206 number. My understanding is that Sprint will now count these as Mobile-to-Mobile minutes as well. So, I really have no reason to worry about my existing Sprint number, and my friends can/will just update their address books accordingly.

That wouldn't be ideal for me, since I don't want my work number showing up for everybody I call.

Drevoak posted:

Does anyone know if GV SMSs are more reliable? I'm curious if using GV will decrease the amount of lost SMSs or delayed ones.
I'm curious about this, too. I have notifications disabled on the Voice app and my account set to forward text messages to my Sprint number because I would frequently get huge delays in notification on new texts with Voice. So much so that I could not rely on it (it is, after all, my work number). I'm curious if things have gotten better.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Leathal posted:

So when Google Voice support rolls out, you can only choose between switching your current GV number to your cell number, or vice versa? And whichever number you *don't* pick is instantly disconnected?

I'd be down with switching my cell number to GV, but not if my current number immediately vanishes. I have a few resumes out in the wild, so potentially losing a job over the GV switch is obviously a no go.

On the other hand, I don't want to lose my launch day GV number by switching everything to Sprint. I was a Grand Central member way back in the day before Google bought them and turned it into GV and my number is pretty swank.

first world problems, I guess

There needs to be a chart or something to better explain this, I think.

If you do Voice->Sprint, the calls and texts you make from your Sprint phone (regardless of whether you have the Voice app installed; it can even be a dumbphone) will show up as your Voice number. Presumably your Sprint number stays around, and people can still call that as well, but your outgoing stuff will no longer show that number, so it becomes less useful.

If you do Sprint->Voice, you basically port your Sprint number to Google Voice. If you already have a Voice number on that Google account, it will be deactivated after 90 days (I'm really unclear on what happens in the mean time). Other than that, all calls made to your Sprint number are handled by Google Voice, with the exception of MMS messages, which are magically directed to the standard messaging app on the phone.

Is that any clearer?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Can someone explain to me the point of using Google Voice? I mean...what's so great about having my calls, voicemails, and SMS go into a different app rather than the native one on my phone?
It's way more than that. You can control so many different things through Google Voice. Here are some examples:

You can specify multiple phone numbers to ring when somebody calls your number, and set these based on conditions (like, for example, if somebody calls your number between 8-5 M-F, have it ring your phone and your work number).

You can block callers in a way that gives them a disconnected sound when they try to call you.

You can set up custom voicemail greetings based on who calls you.

You can require callers who are not in your contacts list to say who they are before accepting the call.

All your history is stored, searchable, online.

Lots more.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

nate fisher posted:

Adults are just as bad as kids (if not worse in some cases) when it comes to Smart Phones. Nothing like going to someone's house and people are showing each other apps. In my house we have rules about phone usage when the family is together. It is a no no.
Raise your hand if you've ever texted somebody in the same room as you. :eng101:

Alman posted:

So I played around with the EVO3D yesterday for a little bit. It's about what you'd expect - an EVO with a 3D camera and display. I didn't get to play around with it long enough to comment on battery life or performance, but I did take a couple pictures with the camera. One thing I noticed was that the 3D effect was really weird if you accidentally blurred your shot. It's really kind of a trippy experience, but if 3D photos aren't your bag it's really easy just to switch to the 2D camera. I really hope some sort of support for 3D menus comes out because that would be sweet

How was the 3D screen overall? I've played with a couple of 3DS's in retail stores and the effect left me fairly unimpressed. I found it extremely difficult to find and then maintain the ideal viewing angle, and if I moved off of that even just a little bit the effect was a little disorienting.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

heat posted:

Is SMS via data connection an option or do they all come in that way? I use a program (juice defender) that disables mobile data to save battery life, but texts still come through right away because they use the cell radio.

If you use the Google Voice app, texts come in over data. However, you also have the option to have text messages forwarded to a phone number, which brings them in over SMS. I use the latter since the Voice notifications were never reliable enough for me in the past.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Pizza Club posted:

Could you let me know how you like the dual-wielding two Google Voice numbers? I'd like to keep my GV number AND move my Sprint number over. If I could move my GV number over to another account, I might. Ideally, I'd like to be able to text from both numbers, from my desk, in a browser, in different tabs.

I know that I want to be able to do weird things.
I created a new Google account yesterday and filled out the transfer form then, but I haven't gotten any response yet. Once it happens, I'll let you know.

In a somewhat ironic twist, I've been using the hell out of the Voice app on my phone today. Our main office is without power, so I've been having to make support calls from my cell phone and I've been dialing with Voice to hide my personal number. It's rare that I ever make a call using Voice and I've made half a dozen already today.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

WoG posted:

My concern is that, while porting my cell # to gv makes for seamless integration now, it is only so through sprint-specific and android-specific capabilities. Switching away from either of those would be problematic.

I can't see myself leaving Android for another platform any time soon, but even still, you can still take advantage of Google Voice on a non-Android phone. Calls will still be routed to your phone number, regardless of what OS it runs. I'm a little less clear on how texting works if you port to Voice, but I know you can route SMS to any phone number you choose, so that's also still functional. The Voice app just makes dealing with those things directly on the phone more convenient, but it's not required.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

z16bitsega posted:

So if I already have a GV number, and I use this integration to port my sprint number to GV, do I lose the GV number I already had?

Yes. There is the possibility of transferring your Voice number to another Google account first, though, effectively saving both. You won't be able to be logged into both on your phone, but you wouldn't lose the existing number, either.

I'm in the process of trying this now. I'll post my results when and if I'm successful.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You can forward your texts to your email or cell number, but you can't get MMS at all with GV.

Normally, yes, but people have reported that Google does some sort of voodoo that still sends the MMS messages to your phone even if you port your Sprint number into Google Voice. So that's a moot point in this situation.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Good news: for many premier silver customers who lost their yearly upgrades, corporate sprint stores can now honor it until I think 6/30. Pretty awesome.
What are the odds of the EVO 3D coming out before then? If so, I'll line up. If not, I have to wait until December. :(

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Did anyone else get a phone call from Sprint "congratulating" you on reaching Silver? I was a bit pissed about that, actually. Congratulations, you're receiving less benefits!

I asked what the deal was, and was told that the revamped Sprint Premiere system was "due to feedback we received from customers". I sort of doubt that, unless I'm missing something?
In all likelihood, they realized that it was too good a deal to give out to as many people as they did, but I vaguely recall them using the excuse that customers with 10 years of service were complaining because other people were able to get the same deal with much less of a commitment. Because, you know, people who are getting an awesome deal really care how many other people also get the awesome deal.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi everyone, the Silver temporary upgrade policy is only for anyone who set to be eligible April 1st through June 30th. Anyone else is basically deemed as missing their shot I guess. Bummer.

So if I was eligible before April 1st but lost it due to Silver, they aren't going to help me out?

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

That was exactly my case. I had my full upgrade since September. As I said before, they had me buy out the remainder of my contract, which totaled $45, then they are going to credit my account $25 for each of the next 2 months.

gently caress it, I'll just go to the nearest Sprint store and talk with a manager when the EVO 3D gets an official release date and find out what they're willing or able to do for me.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

jeeves posted:

What's the draw of this Evo 3D phone? Is it just because it is a super beefy phone, or are that many people really interested in THREE DIMENSIONAL IMAGING TECHONOLOGY on their phones that they will never ever use?

I'm pretty sure most people here want it for the power.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

2.3 already leaked for the Evo 4G and the Shift is a newer phone. There's very little chance the Shift never gets 2.3.

From what little I've seen, there's really not all that much interesting with 2.3 on the EVO. I'm surprised they didn't at least take the opportunity to update Sense.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Alman posted:

Did anyone see this? :raise:

http://www.mobilebusinessbriefing.com/article/sprint-linked-to-data-pricing-strategy-switch-next-week

I'm not sure I believe this for two reasons - first, the "unlimited" ad campaign that was just run, and secondly, the whole point of the $10 was to preclude going to this system.

I'm not going to jump to any conclusions just yet. This doesn't sound very legit to me.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I never got a response to my request to move my Voice number to a different Google account. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

OptimusMatrix posted:

I didn't either I just logged into my google voice account went to settings and the option showed up under the phones tab.

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about moving my existing Voice number to a different Google account so that I can take advantage of the Sprint integration without losing that number. There's a form you can fill out to request a transfer, but I never heard back on it.