Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Yo, I use a Sprint MVNO (kroger phone) and my used S5 I bought 2-3 years ago is making GBS threads itself regularly. What (used) phone do I want in the same price range now ($75 - $100)? I use the $10 a month plan because I don't really talk to anybody so data doesn't really mean anything to me. It's more for receiving spam calls, making appointments, reading the internet in bed, and watching Twitch (wifi) at the gym - my S5 is just so laggy now it's annoying me.

Let me just reemphasize that I don't use my phone much so if you're gonna tell me everything that doesn't cost at least $700 is just trash you can just not reply (or point me to whatever thread this question is more suited for.) The S5 has been fine, it's just got so stupidly laggy now I wanna throw it at the wall (after I buy a new phone.)

Or can I get a better deal switching to a GSM phone/different MVNO? I can use my Kroger points to pay my bill most of the time so I spend probably $50-60 on my phone plan a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Sounds good thanks. Why do phones get slower for no apparent reason? I don't install poo poo on it. I don't even think it's updated the system since I got it. Does hard resetting the thing fix it? My I5 34something is like 8 years old and it does not get slower, it seems to be just as fast as the day I got it. Do they program some decay into the chip (I know that's not the case, I just don't get it.)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Anybody use Tello? They are a Sprint MVNO I saw advertised on Facebook - seems like a good deal, like 12-13 bucks for 2-4gb of data and unlimited everything else and I can use my CDMA phone. Although $40 a month through sprint with Amazon prime and stuff sounds nice.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Welp, I never got around to buying a new phone - I just trimmed up the apps on my S5 (I was complaining about it was slow last month) and installed Foobar2000 instead of the incredibly bloated after an update Samsung Music (who's idea is it to make a music app that you can't see the time unless you press a button, sheesh.) And I installed one of those cache/memory "cleaners" which seems to help.

I switched from my basically free Kroger plan (with 100 minutes/texts, 50mb a data for $10 a month) to Tello, so I'll let you know how it goes. It's 300 minutes, unlimited texts, 2g LTE and I guess unlimited slower after that for $13 a month using a CDMA phone (you can set up your plan however you want every month.) I think unlimited minutes was just $1 or $2 more.

Are they just desperate to sell lines on Sprint's network? I couldn't find a deal like this with any GSM MVNOs.

Or is Sprint's network that bad that's all they can get out of it?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Hello I finally got a new phone for Tello that I've been thinking about for over six months. I got a 2017 LG V30+ ThinQ for $90 on Ebay. Had to return the first one for a bad EMEI that wouldn't work with Tello ($12 a month ha ha) but the next one worked. It has 4 gigs of ram and 128 gigs of storage so it is great and a huge upgrade from my Galaxy S5. And where have fingerprint sensors been all my life?

I did have to go through some hassles to get a SIM card for it. The first store I went to had a snotty little kid who said SIM cards are attached to Sprint accounts so I cannot give you one!

Then I called a different store and the nice person said they had all kinds of SIM cards and could sell them to me. I went in there and she opened the SIM card drawer and went through a whole stack of them before she found one that would fit my phone (even though I explained I was using Tello and just needed a SIM for my phone.) She said they send her so many she doesn't know what to do with them so I could just have the SIM card (she even installed it for me.) It was one of the ones with Sprint/Virgin/Boost branding on it if that helps anyone else.

I was trying to make small talk while she was looking for the right model # and asked if Sprint was going to bounce back after the Tmobile merger. With a straight face while standing in a large completely empty Sprint store on a Saturday afternoon she said huge amounts of people were switching to Sprint. I just went along with it because I didn't want to ruin her giving me a SIM card.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 8, 2020

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
What's it gonna do for MVNOs? I asked Tello a while ago and they were just like.. dunno.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Well, my $13 a month awesome phone plan will continue for a little while at least.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-and-the-t-mobile-sprint-merger

Tello is keeping the same rates. Here's a read if you're interested in the transition. I think My LG V30+ plus has all the doodads to use the network. Hope so at least.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I dunno what incentives you might get.

I tried to switch from Tello (Sprint MVNO that I've mentioned here before) to the Metro by T-Mobile $25 a month plan. I did qualify for that but I didn't qualify for a nice phone because my trade in was from Sprint/T-Mobile.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

LorneReams posted:

Do they have Prime because that is like the biggest benefit to Sprint right now.

Metro by T-Mobile has Prime on their $60 unlimited plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
A person on the Tello Reddit said they were able to get a free phone through the T-Mobile Connect $15 a month plan. I called a place and they printed out an ad that said it definitely wasn't for T-Mobile Connect. Didn't work for me but worth a try if you want a backup phone with 2.5gb of data for $45 ($15x3, you have to pay three months for the phone.) This is what I pay less than $13 a month for on Tello btw if you have an old GSM phone you want to activate on Tello for the same reason. And yes, I have a referral link. They were completely unable to fix my MMS issue though which is why I've been looking at other T-Mobile MVNOs.