Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

Schadenfreude is so nutritious

Ozmodiar posted:

If you do a FULL PORT to Google Voice, it essentially makes Google the "owner" of your number instead of Sprint (like if you ported from Sprint to Verizon, for instance).

Lets say your current Sprint number is 555-555-5555, and you port it to Google Voice. You would then get a new number from Sprint (because any carrier MUST assign a phone number to your ESN number (or SIM card on GSM networks))...lets call this 444-444-4444. So, you would assign 444-444-4444 as one of your forwarding numbers in Google Voice, not bother to give any of your friends/family the 444-444-4444 number, and when people call 555-555-5555, it'll be like nothing ever changed as far as they're concerned.

If you do port your number to GV though, it will instantly cancel your current account with Sprint. It's no different than porting to another carrier.

I understand how you could arrive at this conclusion, but how on earth could sprint cancel your account AND give your device a new number? Surely its more likely the port request would cancel your account and service. Then you're stuck with your google voice account using your former-sprint number, but no actual cell service to forward calls to.

unless this is what you wanted in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

chemosh6969 posted:

You can forward to other phones. It works the same way as before where if someone calls your voice number, you can have it go to other phones. It works the same as before.

You still use your minutes but it uses voice for international calls.

Agree with this.

I switched a few days ago. I don't experience the same delay during international calls, which is all I used gvoice for previously. Noticed some weirdness with sms: turned off sms notification in gvoice but left email notification on. sent a text today from handcent, saw an email notifying me I had a response but didn't get a gvoice new text notification for several minutes.

hoonchops fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 24, 2011

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

q!=e.

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

Jensen posted:

What, no you don't. You receive them on both too. You can make texts on either app and you can receive texts on your SMS app, GV app, or both.

SKYS THE LIMIT FRIEND.

I can send using handcent but only receive in the GVoice app. Calls to mobiles are coming out of my minutes despite being on 'everything data 900' (includes 'Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime')

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

900ftjesus posted:

There's no "use it or lose it" on auctioned spectrum.

Not the auctioned spectrum, the EBS. http://www.digitalcommunities.com/blogs/broadband-nation/Clearwire-Educational-Broadband-Service-Spectrum-121510.html

The deadline is today btw.

vvv Pretty sure its may '11.. may 1st 2011

hoonchops fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 2, 2011

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

ericsson to assume management of clearwire's 4g network.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/clearwire-outsource-wimax-network-ericsson/2011-05-18

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

I have an android phone and I'm using sprint's integrated google voice deal. how much functionality will I lose when I move to the iphone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoonchops
Mar 4, 2009

td4guy posted:

The whole point of the integration is that it doesn't matter at all which phone you have. So people with dumbphones can take advantage of the same cool services that smartphone people have been getting with their GV app.

not an answer to my question whatsoever but thanks anyway. I just checked and it seems theres a google voice app in the appstore (there wasn't last time I had an iphone).

Neena posted:

Been having that exact same problem all day. Really annoying.

had this all morning. gave up and ordered from apple. I hope I didn't miss out on any benefits of getting it from sprint - price seemed the same?