Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
I'm a little confused. I got a family everything data and 2 smart phones on this plan with no 4g, what happens if one of the family plan users with a smart phone already buys a new smartphone like a evo and grabs 4g with it. Am I going to have to pay that $60 4g data plan individually added on to what I'm paying now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
Is there any reason to get the Nexus S over the EVO 3D? I'm holding onto an old sammy moment that while it was a great phone, certainly isn't great anymore. I can't really decide. Oh, and am I making a great leap going from keypad to no keypad? I don't mind trying new stuff its just if I'm going to hate the drat typing experience on it I might just grab a shift right now instead.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
While I got a rooted samsung moment, I hardly use the features of the root besides the CPU clocking and small stuff like that I could live without I think. I might just go with the EVO 3D because of the power (and I want to play PSX games with no lag). Oh and I never knew that about the Wiimotes and that's just awesome because I happen to have one lying around.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
Am I the only one having trouble imagining what the EVO 3D can do over the Nexus S in terms of power? Besides burning the battery without a clocking program (which, the EVO3D might unfortunately have no access to depending on root). I mean I've seen a samsung epic run even PSX games pretty stable. I don't see the point in having that much power unless you want to just impress somebody.

EDIT: That is true. Haha, but I doubt from my experiences with PS2 emulators that even the 3D couldn't run a pretty big library of games stably for PS2.

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 13, 2011

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

The Entire Universe posted:

While it isn't a given that the EVO3D will have a locked bootloader I can understand the concern given the trend and the various HTC-specific murmurings. However, do you really want to put all your eggs in a basket made of Samsung hardware over merely wanting faster updates? Samsung may have destroyed their record with software support, but that doesn't mean their hardware is a barrel full of roses either.

To say the Nexus S is exactly the same as a Behold or a Moment would be a flat lie, but Samsung has displayed a worrying habit of simply not being able to build a phone and put Android on it without having some major problems that only sometimes get ironed out through software updates. The fact that Google has the software reins doesn't change the fact that it's a Samsung-built phone using Samsung-built parts and until they release something that doesn't have spotty GPS functionality or a tendency to murder SD cards or just a fuckload of other minor issues (a cool one on the Nexus S was the rebooting in the middle of calls over 3 minutes long- apparently a software bug, if you care to look at the latest posts in that link you'll see people complaining about that poo poo clear up into this month) then I'm going to be avoiding them and advising others to do the same.

Google may be able to get right on fixing software bugs but fixing a hardware issue is something that takes longer and will probably cost you money. The EVO 3D may have a locked bootloader, but consider me sold on it barring confirmation of said lock or confirmation of a better phone coming out between now and the end of the year.

See, the thing about that is it was never hardware that was an issue with Samsung Moment in fact it was pretty powerful back when it first came out. It was the fact that Samsung recycled most of their drivers from the Behold and hoped to god they functioned enough for nobody to bitch. They used these old drivers for even updates. If anything is wrong with Samsung phones its the drivers/software, which they never put a whole lot of thought or time into. Which is why I'm still considering the 3D.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

general chaos posted:

Wasn't it mentioned quite a while ago that dual core processors are designed to handle tasks more efficiently and would use a lower amount of power in the long run?

As long as the thing isn't $300 on launch, I know I'll eventually bite.

Well, theoretically it should as one core can take the load off the other so the phones CPU can clock it itself depending on the load making it cooler and draw less power. The problem with assuming this is more efficient is that it's clocked higher then the other CPUs like the nexus s making it burn more anyway, but most people that love these phones to death will clock it down anyway rooted so who really knows how efficient that is to phones out presently.

Now, since we are still talking about the 3D the problem with the 3D besides the obvious root is that dual core will not be supported until 2.4. It's shipping with 2.3. So that dual core won't do poo poo until both HTC and Google give the green flag. So in 2.3 it will be there for nothing more then eating cycles on background crap. While it still should be faster than other phones, who knows how the hell it will clock with only 1 core really supported in Android. All we know is if the green flag is on everything (supported by OS, clocks running correctly) that will simply outperform the competition in both performance and battery efficiency theoretically. Problem with all that? Going to take a ton of time before that is all settled, but with a 2-year contract to keep in mind waiting a couple of months isn't that horrible.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

$10 Says it is June 5th.

Why do you believe it is going to be that early in June? We were hinted the Nexus S was going to be an April deal and it turns out May 8th. Now we are hinted it will be a June release. What is making your decision on this?

Oh and looking at XDA devs on the 3D is really promising for a root, or at least a temp one. I recognize quite a few names from the ole' sammy moment root forum. I think I'm going to put my money on the 3D over the Nexus. I know it's a gamble on root but the dev team around the phone and the hatred I currently have for the Samsung Moment is enough to convince me the 3D is the superior choice even if it doesn't get a root.

I really wished Samsung would take the hint and just get some better people to do their software, because I love the company when it comes to TVs and monitors but they are a real poo poo hole when it comes to cellphones.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

spidoman posted:

If I buy a Nexus S in the next couple of months, am I going to be kicking myself by Christmas wishing that I would have just bought a EVO 3D? I don't care about 3D at all, but a 1ghz processor vs. a 1.2ghz dual core seems like I'm really going to be feeling the difference in 6 months to a year...

EDIT: The wiki page for the EVO 3D doesn't list that it has NFC, has there been confirmation either way? (I have doubts that it will catch on, and even if it does, if I would ever use it, but still curious.)

Likely you will. The only thing at this point (if the 3D will come unlocked as all the rumors say) is all that the Nexus S will have going for it over the 3D is being a flagship phone. Which means tons of updates for it even if it is old as balls. Though I even doubt the 3D will worry about updates for quite a long time.

Oh and nobody gives a poo poo about the 3D feature either. Just a gimmick. Like you people see the numbers and drop a load how fast the phone will be versus all the other phones out right now.

EDIT:^^^ go out of your way to find a small store in a small town if you are that worried. Just call em up and ask their stock on it the day of the release.

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 27, 2011

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
Theorycrafting for the guys that are wondering about the 3D release date. Last week HTC announced no more locked boot loaders on their android phones, but told us the 3D would ship with one. While it could just mean HTC are just simply lazy, I believe it tells us this phone is already going into the final phases of production and HTC just doesn't want to mess with the phones now. However, since they haven't even announced a release it probably won't be for quite a few weeks. Reason being the phone production isn't ready yet or Sprint wants to capitalize on the Nexus for the time being. I'm going to guess the earliest date to be 25th but I wouldn't be surprised if it's early next month.

EDIT:^^^ the t mobile Nexus S version suffered a few but mostly involving the finicky wifi radio. Though I believe Samsung has a track record of just having awful radios. Tons of complaints on the Epic in the same category and I can bring up a few times my old Moment had the same issues. I really hope their new phones like the new Galaxy series renews their name because I know Samsung can do better than this.

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 1, 2011

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

ShowTime posted:

To counter that, the Evo 3d will not be shipping with a lock bootloader, which means they still have the phones and have time to modify the software on each and every one.

Source here: http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-EVO-3D-to-launch-with-unlocked-bootloader_id19170

See the problem with that was while it was true he said they would unlock it, doesn't mean it wouldn't ship with a unlocked loader nor that it would be unlocked on the launch so really that article is pretty much lying and shows it in the screenshots. And the article that takes source from makes that quite obvious as it specifically states this:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/05/27/htc-ceo-confirms-evo-3d-will-have-an-unlocked-bootloader-one-way-or-another/

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

Jeratain posted:

I've been tempted by the Nexus S because I know it'll automatically get the latest and greatest Android software shortly after they are released. I also love the idea of having a vanilla Android phone.

On the flipside, I am tempted by the sheer monstrous specs of the EVO 3D. However I detest HTC Sense. Assuming there's an unlocked bootloader released for it, then I assume this means I need to wait for someone (e.g.: dev at XDA) to release a vanilla Android with the EVO 3D drivers built-in, or whatever custom-ROM they decide to throw together. Is this understanding correct?

Basically what HTC has told us is sooner or later it will be an unlocked bootloader phone. Though this doesn't mean it will be that way on launch and may take months til we see custom ROMs, however there are tons of ways to mask sense so it really doesn't matter. Probably the most significantly bad thing going for this phone is the fact it's going to take so drat long to get here when I was waiting for this thing before summer even started.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

900ftjesus posted:

If you read the Sensation review on Engadget, they were getting 24 hours+ with a smaller battery than the 3D has with basically the same phone. This bodes well.

Had the phone on for over a day in that review and still had 50% left. Now this is with all that preloaded junk they put on the phone too. Though it's kinda hard to tell what that means for the 3D since these phones are somewhat different(battery, RAM, different radios). All this tells us is the dual core phones are powerful and don't tax the battery to death, which is really good to hear if you are coming from some of the older snapdragon single cores that can burn batteries in a few hours.

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 4, 2011

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
I'm a little confused at this premier upgrade thing so if someone could clarify this for me I'd really appreciate it.

Let's say I want to get an EVO 3D at a sprint store where they are saying it's $200. I have a pre-existing plan with a pre-existing phone however, I'm eligible for the $75 instant premier rebate thing. Does this mean I'm paying $125 for the phone and nothing extra but maybe that $10 smartphone fee? Or am I paying more than $200 because that number isn't the original phone price?

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

When did you get your last phone, and are you on a family plan?

To everyone asking, the only time to be concerned about buying 3rd party like Amazon is if you are eprp or sero. Corporate discounts on regular plans never get changed with something like that. Also, sprint very rarely audits to see if you still work where you are at, and only would do so in instances of extreme fraud (Wells Fargo had a situation there).

Really don't remember when exactly quite a few months ago. I'm eligible for 2 year premier in December it says though. And yeah I'm on a family plan and one of my family members doesn't mind taking my old phone for me to grab a new one with their upgrade premier thing but they'd really like it if they can keep their old number if it's possible for convenience, not sure how that will fly.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
You know, looking at people that comment about the EVO 3D on a few forums I'm starting to feel like the feature they named the phone after was a mistake. Most people hear 3D in the name and immediately say gently caress this phone it will burn battery life on an EVO to match and it will be a bitch to turn it off said feature without trying to find out more information. They should have just used one of their 10,000 vague random descriptions like HTC always does. Or maybe just named it EVO 2 for 2 cores and capitalize on the real reason why people are buying this phone in the first place.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

Generic Superhero posted:

I was all ready to drop the money on an EVO 3D (from a Hero) but now I'm thinking I'll wait to see how the Photon stacks up, as I have no prejudices against Motorola phones or their UI. The specs seem similar, so performance be similar, but I just have a nagging feeling maybe the EVO 3D isn't the phone for me. Maybe it's the 3D aspect which I hate. I just don't want to be stuck in a position like I was after I bought the Hero, which was: What was I thinking?

Is anyone else on the fence about the 3D since they came out and announced the Photon?

The Hero was a phone that had last generation hardware on release and also had sense when it really sucked resources dry. I'd still say the Hero was worse than the Moment even with the glaring issues with the Moment. That was a rough phone to get your idea on HTC phones and unless you are waiting for a Nexus that might be released on Sprint in a few months, there's hardly a reason to not get a 3D in a few days. Don't worry too much about the gimmicky 3D feature as much because all it seems to do well is burn through batteries if you use it from what I'm reading.

Engadget did a horrible job of testing of testing the 3D because no sane man would leave their android phone with every single radio on. There's no reason for it. I'd really like to just see how long this phone lasts with just the 3G idling on then the 4G that will be on only sometimes and a wifi that I will absolutely promise you I will never use.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm wondering, my dad has a 2 year upgrade on his line I want to use to get the 3D and he wants my old Moment. Is it possible to yank his upgrade but conveniently he still keeps his number on my old phone?

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

big mean giraffe posted:

It's not like you HAVE to use the 3D functionality on the Evo 3D. I don't really see the point in having two virtually identical phones on the same carrier.

The name, the fact it doesn't have 3D in the name. The truth is most consumers don't look into details too much as it is ridiculously obvious on most of the Engadget article comments. The moment you say a feature a consumer doesn't care for(such as 3d) or simple things they dislike(shipped with locked bootloader,7/10 in reviews) most people looking at a 2 year agreement plug their ears with their fingers and go "LLALALANOTLISTENINGLALLAA". I really don't blame them, you are going to likely be stuck with this phone you pick out for awhile.

EDIT:^^^^Is there the slightest of clues if anything still functions in the phone? Charge light? Anything?

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 23, 2011

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

Strontosaurus posted:

Is it going to be possible to get an EVO 3D tomorrow if I haven't preordered one?

Probably. This phone really wasn't as hyped as the EVO4G was. I'd just get it early in the day. The sprint stores open at 8am tomorrow.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

averox posted:

"More like it's the same piece of poo poo screen :rolleyes:" -pretty much every tech blog

It sounds like it's more about the resolution than the quality of the screen from what he said. And when talking about screen quality(sLCD vs sAMOLED) most people don't notice it anyway. It's a freaking cellphone, with a 4.3inch screen.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

spidoman posted:

Is mobile hotspot free on the Evo 3D? It's not mentioning any charges before I start it, but I don't want to get charged $30 for a day of hotspot.

When you actually try to start the service it will check. If you don't have it it won't start the actual tether and complain that you don't have it. I'm going to keep tinkering with mine before I start to write up a review but the flash speed on this phone is phenomenal. Running own3d.tv streams with hardly any lag. The battery might not be as phenomenal when I run it all the time though. And the fact if I tab out of the browser it reloads the stream making me have to rewatch an ad even if I just wanted to text somebody real quick.

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
I have to say, I was really surprised there wasn't even a line when I grabbed the EVO3D. And this is coming from the only Sprint store that opens at 8 in the area(all the others are third parties). I guess the meh reviews and the fact tons are still on contract with the first EVO. That's not a good thing if you are bent on getting custom ROMs when they finally unlock the thing for us.

EDIT: And the fact that after talking with one of the managers waiting for the activation, they actually only had 35 of the 3D on hand on the 24th. That's including some reserved for preorder and employees. Did they not plan to make this phone reasonably hyped or stocked and are only putting this phone out there for the people that have an upgrade but want a better EVO? They threw tons of commercials and crap up for the Nexus and that was practically last gen before it even came to Sprint.

jaku78 fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 25, 2011

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
So the service in my house is awful, but here's the thing if I turn off the roam guard of the phone it is fine and gets pretty decent service. Is there actually any roaming data/voice in MA and would I get charged extra for using the roaming data/voice? Or does the phone think that(HTC EVO3D) and is just over reacting to a different frequency or something?

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009
I'm trying to get a little bit more battery life out of the EVO3D because it seems to be burning it real quick. Does Sense 3.0 eat your battery life on the EVO3D? Will switching to another launcher stop the resource hogging on it? Or is just the radios(3G+wifi) and the display hogging the battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaku78
Mar 17, 2009

Rurutia posted:

What are your settings? Mine lasted 17 hours last night. I know turning off 4g really helps.

Had the wifi and 3G on radio wise and turned the brightness to the minimum. I just turned off animations because it looked like display drew out a lot of power. I also just turned off the wifi to see if it will last longer. I'll see how it goes.