Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

Would that only work on a family plan? I'm at my parents a good bit, and they have basically no signal at their place. Mine is just two phones in my name, not a family plan.

Doesn't matter whether they have pooled minutes or not, you have 2 lines on the account. Whether retentions gives you two or not I couldn't say, probably depends on how long you have had Sprint.

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
How much data d you 4g people tend to use. I was pretty sure I was going to jump onto my sister's family plan at ATT once the new iPhone came out, but the 2 gig limit is worrying me more and more. Especially if the new iPhone has HSPA+, those 2 gigs will get used up pretty quickly. This is making me lean toward getting a 3D Evo, despite me not really liking Android as a platform. The monthly cost of each will be within $5 of each other, so pricing isn't really an issue. My main concern is that data usage for me is only going to go up, especially considering faster internet, more applications that use it, and higher quality streaming video. I really like Apple's hardware,and iOS just seems so much smoother. Any suggestions or comments to help me make a decision?

Oh, I also tend to thing that ATT is an evil company.

In all seriousness, what's wrong with Windows Phone 7 (meaning if you don't like Android but like the iPhone, Windows may be an option)?

Edit: Google Voice with Sprint Integration launches April 26th.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

io_burn posted:

With all the SERO floating around here I have no clue if there are any actual Sprint engineers or support agents that lurk here, but UPNP on the Sierra Wireless Overdrive Pro seems to be completely broken. I posted on DSLReports about it- http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25766588-Sprint-Sierra-Wireless-Overdrive-Pro-UPNP-issues-

This blows because I use Sprint 4G to play games via Xbox Live and without UPNP most things won't connect. :(

The Overdrive Pro is pretty new, did you happen to get it within 30 days? The Novatel MiFi 4G just launched 3 days ago and if its anything like the MiFi 3G it should be waaaaay better than the Overdrive (which had a lot of hardware problems.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Technogeek posted:

Is there an official announcement anywhere visible to the public? I know a couple people who've been looking forward to this, and I want to have something to show them beyond "guy on message board".

Nothing beyond "that's what employee news says."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chappy posted:

Feel free to put this info in the OP. My info for eprp is as follows :

Clinton.Chapman@sprint.com 530.

They are actually wanting us to give this info out to anyone that wants it now, so feel free to use it for anyone you want. Give it to your loving mailman if he wants eprp.

But please use mine and not that dude from the blog. They are giving prizes and stuff for people with the most referrals.

Will update next chance I am at a computer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So the voice service at my apartment has gone to poo poo. We've always had strong signal and still do, but when actually making a call the sound cuts in and out all the time pretty much rendering both sides of the conversation unintelligible. It happens to both my and my wife's phones, and happens within a good radius of our place. However, if I drive far enough down the street (likely to another cell) voice service is fine.

The suddenness of this makes me think there's a basestation equipment problem. Is this something Sprint likely "knows about", or otherwise, is there a way to file a trouble ticket of some sort that doesn't involve sitting on the phone with a CSR? (Whom I wouldn't be able to hear anyways.)

This seems to be my solution for anything signal related, but why not just get a signal booster? Otherwise I am actually looking into a similar issue tomorrow and may have a phone number for you to call. May.

And I was working with Sprint support on a signal issue and they were saying that there was a nationwide issue with Android phones recently (personally I would take it with a big grain of salt). More accurately, I do know signal in Nashville is a bit weird right now because 3 crazy Tornado level storms can knock over towers fairly well. Unfortunately for the customer I was helping, he is currently in Florida so the explanation did not help him.

Hdip posted:

Can you assign a secondary email to one of the numbers?

You probably could, but you can only logon to one account at a time for the Android Google Voice app.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Geekslinger posted:

I am currently on a Everything Data 1500 plan with my wife. According to Sprint.com site it shows my line as having completed contract on 03/04/10, but my wife's line won't be up until 06/07/12. Does that mean if I wanted to port my number off and switch to another carrier I can without paying the termination fee?

Your line is month to month so no fees for you to switch. If you switch your wife you would have a prorated termination fee, although its pretty close to being over so I would be it wouldn't be that much, maybe $60-80 to switch her line.

mastershakeman posted:

e/n: Went to sprint stores the last 3 days only to get runarounds, and finally was going to get my broken Pre looked at today. It was about to be fixed, then the tech pulled the battery and declared it corroded and that they wouldn't repair it, even for the $35 fee.

When is the Nexus S coming out :smith:

Its gotta be soon, they even have Otterbox cases available for Sprint stores to stock. Early May hopefully.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm heading out of town for a little while anyways, but if it stays bad for my wife I might have her look into it.

I just didn't know if there was a "report your problems here" page or something.

This is a new area for me, so hopefully what I have here is right. My instructions on a area with bad coverage complaints is to email OKCQueueControl@sprint.com (they apparently process those complaints in OKCity). There is also a phone number to call, but only for store coverage issues and you need a Sprint ID code (direct or indirect) for them to talk to you. It does say they need at least 3 customers complaining in an area to really do anything about it.

If it stays bad I guess your option would be to try emailing that address, or having your local Sprint call the phone number (I can give it to you if needed). Other option could be to call Advanced Tech Support and see if they can forward you to the right department.

Again, no idea if going through those channels will actually help, but we will see since I am about to try and help a friend with a coverage problem and no home internet.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 22, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

io_burn posted:

Hey Duckman2008 (or any other Sprint dudes), here's a question for you-

Apparently if you get a certain Droid you're eligible for some kind of "pro" data plan (no clue what they actually call it) where you're able to do hotspot tethering with both unlimited 3G AND 4G. I have absolutely no problem paying more for a plan, having a voice plan that I can't even use, and whatever other ridiculous baggage I need to take on in order to get this plan on my 3G/4G MiFi. Sprint's 4G coverage is getting substantially better, but often times indoors you get kicked down to 3G inside of large buildings. That 5GB cap is hilariously low when you're actually using your device for anything other than casual web browsing once in a while.

Are there ANY balls that can be cupped on any level of Sprint to get my account switched to this kind of plan? I've tried asking at Sprint stores and by calling customer service but what I'm trying to do doesn't seem to process through their brains to even figure out if it can be done or not. If this is even remotely possible I can PM you all my account details or whatever if that helps.

It seems kind of silly that they'd offer this service on a phone capable of acting as a hotspot, but not the actual hotspot device itself. Can I get on that plan with like a dummy Droid, then do an ESN swap to my MiFi?

Do you have a Sprint phone as well? That's the main question.

Sprint does offer an official phone hotspot plan at $30 a month. The reason it is half (far as I can tell) is because that is in addition to the minimum $79.99 a month plan, so theoretically in the end it balances out. It is unlimited 3G/4G, and it is nice that you can add and remove it on an Android phone at any time and it prorates (so a family can hotspot for a week but not pay the full $30 for only 7 days).

Honestly the plan for the MiFi hotspot is just kind of retarded right now, for reasons you mentioned, the 5GB cap on 3G, being $60 a month, etc. The only options I know of are a special $49.99 a month plan, but you need to tie that in with the $99 everything plan (aka its retarded). There are unlimited 3G only plans for business lines, but those are not available for regular joe.

I am not aware of any EPRP Aircard plan, but that is not my area and would be more of a question for someone like Chappy or Mahjoning (or however you spell his username).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I know GV doesn't do MMS, so how does that impact Sprint's GV integration?

If you use a sprint number and integrate it with Google Voice it will work fine, assumingly only via your phone and not texting through the computer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dundun posted:

So after watching some reviews, I bought the Kyocera Echo off ebay. I had the HTC EVO for 6 months, but I actually like the Echo better so far. Only been messing around with it for a day so heres a mini review:

Pros:
1. Feels faster than the EVO.
2. The dual screens are more useful than novelty.
3. Comes with an extra battery+ cool portable charging system.
4. Kyocera seems to be putting a lot of support behind it, has its own dual-screen app store.
5. Speaker is louder than the EVO.

Cons:
1. Camera is pretty mediocre compared to the EVO.
2. Still in the break in period for the battery, but power users should definitely have the portable charging system in their back pocket if they want a full day of usage.

Overall its a pretty good phone.

After trying out the Echo for a few days I have to honestly agree with this. Phone is surprisingly solid. I have been using dual screen for everything and in most cases (such as using the awful app) it is a really nice addition. I do occassionally see lag, and I find skyfire works better than the stock web browser, but overall not many complaints. I would still say the Evo is the faster phone personally. The biggest surpise though is the screen quality, both screens just look really good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gumball Dad posted:

What kind of extra fees does Sprint tack on to monthly bills? I'm used to AT&T talking on at least an extra $15 in random fees and stuff. I just don't wanna expect to pay $70 and then end up with a $90 bill every month. If it's going to be like that, it might be the deciding factor in me going with Virin Mobile and the Optimus V for the moment.

Off my bill, just keep in mind this is 3 lines:

Federal-Univ Serv Assess Non-LD $2.33
Administrative Charge $2.97
Regulatory Charge $1.20
--------------
$6.50

Government Fees & Taxes $11.67

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

As someone who already uses Google Voice for voicemail but doesn't have a Google Voice number, how do I know when I can make my Sprint number my GV number?

April 26th is official launch day.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheBlackMallard posted:

Swapped my Evo for a Shift today. Really happy with my decision so far. Only complaint I have is the speakerphone on the Shift isn't as loud.

Edit: and the kickstand.

It is extremely rare now a days that I actually use my kickstand.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just did Sprint employee training on some product called the Motorola Xoom with WiFi... :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

My daughter needs a new phone (her Palm Pre died). I am shocked to see that Amazon still has the Arrive for $50 while Sprint has it for $199. I was going to get her a Shift but the Arrive for $50 might be too good of a deal.

Edit: That is $50 is you are a new customer ($140 upgrade). Tease!!!

Amazon does have the Epic 4G for $89 if you upgrade. I know the Epic gets some hate but for a 12 year girl who just wants a Android phone wouldn't it work? Did it ever upgrade to 2.2? Or should I just spend another $60 and get the Shift for her?

Personally I would still spend the extra $60, gently caress Samsung. But for a 12 year old any would be fine. I do kinda agree with Mr. Moore though, a LG Optimus would be free off Sprint.com (I think anyway) and would be way more than enough.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Wow I just found the Epic 4G for $50 if you upgrade using the Radio Shack web site. I never thought I would buy anything Samsung (outside of the Nexus S), but this might be too good of a deal for my daughter.

Oh 12 year old with a Epic 4G? Crap my daughter's friends are rocking EVOs, iPhones, etc.

I work in a pretty rich area (south of nashville) and see that all the time. I asked a parent why they needed to get their kid an Evo (last August when it was hot) over an intercept and they said they needed to get him something on par with his ipad. Crazy.

And google voice is great for texting from the computer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

While my wife is going to get the EVO 3D (her reward for rocking my Hero the last year) I think I might hold off upgrading myself. Why? For the first time in a long time I am still satisfied with my cell phone a year later. Yes the EVO is not perfect but it is still a pretty good phone. Urg I say this now but I bet once I see her with her new toy I will have to have it.

This is kind of where I am, for the first time in a while I really don't have a NEED to get a new phone. I'm torn between staying with the Evo, getting a 3D (months after regular customers get it) or trying something that is not necessarily better, but different (heck I'm still tempted to get an Arrive to to try WinPhone 7 some more). Other thing is I'm likely moving to PA in 5 months, so who knows whether I will stay working for Sprint in any form.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

io_burn posted:

So here's the situation I'm in- Sprint's 3 step support process of reboot, reset, return has landed me firmly at the last step and apparently the only place I can exchange my MiFi is at the original Sprint store I bought it from. They have no more in stock, to make things worse, I'm leaving the Chicago area in a few days to move out to the west coast so waiting around for them to get more in isn't really a viable alternative. Is it true that defective equipment exchanges can ONLY be done through the specific store you purchased it from? This seems hilariously rear end backwards, but Sprint has assured me that the only other alternative I have is flat out returning my device from them, undoing my entire upgrade, then re-upgrading at another store? What happens when I return it, buy another device locally, then move out to LA and have the same issue... Only this time I'm 1500 miles away from where I need to exchange it from?

If you got it from a CORPORATE store this should be incorrect, you can exchange it at any corporate store (if I am wrong someone tell me). But I'm betting you bought it from a 3rd party, in which case it is accurate, because 3rd party owns its own inventory. As an example, say you bought it from me in store (I only have stores in TN), and you had this issue. You would be redirected to contact my store, at which point we could A. have you ship it back and completely return it or B. NOT lose commission, have you ship it back and ship you out a new one.

Any 3rd party can direct ship devices to anywhere in the country out of Sprint's inventory (so instead of it coming from my store, i just place an order and it arrives wherever you want in about 3 days free shipping). Unless this store doesn't like making money, or they are retarded, that would be the way to do things. This specific scenario they would take an entire return on it and then direct ship it out under a new upgrade (only way to do it in the system). And if you push they will pay your shipping to ship the stupid device back. Personally, not completely sure on your schedule but if you want that specific store to service you if they direct ship it they can exchange and service within 30 days from anywhere in the country. I did a direct ship to a customer in Washington DC and the phone is defective, so i am sending her a new phone and a return label for the old one.

in a nutshell, either return it and get one from a corporate store, or exchange it for a direct ship where it doesn't matter.

Alman posted:

EVOs and Optimuses (Optimii?) are hard to get right now, not sure the reason

But you should be able to get on EPRP at EVO 3D launch

Def just wait for the Evo 3D launch, they will likely gently caress up and short stock the phone like they do every year, but usually if you order right on launch you have a fairly good chance of getting it.

For those that care, the Blackberry Style is being dropped from $50 to $0 at Sprint. Blackberry is getting desperate...

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 28, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
Wouldn't they get in trouble for not following Sprint's insurance policy? I mean, it's good for this guy, but it's hurting Sprint's bottom line.

From what I can tell Sprint (especially retentions) has a fairly in depth process of determining what policies to bend and when they can bend them. Retentions bases a LOT based on whether you have a spending limit or not, whether you pay your bills on time or not and how long you have been a cutomer.

If its a 5-10 year always on time paying customer, Sprint likely will not object to a retentions rep doing something like that. If its a customer with a spending limit that pays bills late and always calls in asking for credits, well Sprint is at the point of telling them "too bad."

And in Asurion's defense, if you add insurance after day of purchase (even within 30 days) it takes 15 days for it to be eligible for filing. Technically at least. That being said, dealing with Asurion is always God awful.

Mahoning posted:

Good news: for many premier silver customers who lost their yearly upgrades, corporate sprint stores can now honor it until I think 6/30. Pretty awesome.

Also: blackberry fans (if there are any left) the style price is dropping on 5/1 to free.

3rd party stores too. Don't leave us out dude!

ratbert90 posted:

I just got my style on Monday. could I go to the sprint store on Monday and ask them to credit me the phone back?

Unfortunately not unless you got it at Best Buy. You could do a full return and then redo your upgrade, but there is a $35 restock fee to it.

Edit: oh and Insurance officially goes up from $7 to $8 for everyone on July 24th. Only "Accounts with Contracts that specify TEP price freezes" will be exempt (as well as certain business accounts). So yeah, insurance goes up $1 a month, doesn't look like it breaks Terms of contract.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 28, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

it was new service. so I am within my 30 days at least. maybe that will help?

Go in and say you'll return it and switch back to wherever. It would suck for the store, but I know myself I would at least match it halfway, and in reality even up to the entire $50 is doable for the store. Worth asking for.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh, forgot one other thing:

If you have the $69.99 Everything Data Plan, running May 8th - July 23rd Sprint is offering an extra 300 minutes on the plan. So instead of 450 minutes, its 750 minutes and AnyMobile Anytime is still there. If you currently have the plan you need to call in and add it, it is not a manual thing (and I don't think it would extend your contract unless you also get a phone). No idea if this can be applied to EPRP or not. And once you have it you are grandfathered in on it, even after it ends July 23rd.

So individual plans with unlimited text and data:
$69.99: 750 mins
$89.99: 900 mins
$99.99: unlimited ** No discounts apply to this plan

Extra $10 for a smartphone of course.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mtr posted:

Woah.

Now when you say "lost their upgrade", do you mean the people that were eligible for upgrade on 4/1 that lost it because of the change. Or will the people who bought the Evo in June 2010 also be eligible in June 2011 now?

If you were a Premier customer scheduled for an upgrade between April 1st and June 30th, but lost it because you didn't have Sprint for 10+ years, you get your upgrade back. I am not sure about customers who were already eligible and lost it, i will ask.

Also, Sprint training is saying the Samsung Replenish does WiFi calling.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fyi everyone, the Silver temporary upgrade policy is only for anyone who set to be eligible April 1st through June 30th. Anyone else is basically deemed as missing their shot I guess. Bummer.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Just curious what is the feeling on the MDPA protection plan by Radio Shack vs. TEP? According to their web site no deductible.

I don't know Radioshack's, but Best Buy has a similar one, main difference is sliiiiightly higher monthly payment, no coverage on lost/theft, and sometimes swapping out for a new one sucks (although that can depend on how strict the rep is with the rules). Compare the plans.

brc64 posted:

So if I was eligible before April 1st but lost it due to Silver, they aren't going to help me out?

That is correct, and yeah just call retentions about it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

WELP.

My phone appears to be a total brick. No response from attempting to turn it on in download mode, recovery, or normal. It does get warm when plugged into a charger, but there are no other signs of life.

I had it plugged in to my computer at work via USB, to charge. As I got up from my desk to go down to the cafe I grabbed my phone as I normally do and went to put it in my pocket. This is when I noticed this thing was loving hot. I don't mean "oh it's been working hard and is a little warm," I mean "Consumer electronics do not get this hot" hot. Steering wheel on a sunny day hot. I hit the power button to see if it would wake up, no dice. I pull the battery, wait a bit, replace. No luck. I plug it back into the USB sans-battery to see if I can get ANYTHING out of this bitch. Nothing. Fabulous.

So, I'm going to the Sprint corporate store tomorrow. I ordered the phone online from Sprint so there shouldn't be any issue with bringing it back to a corporate store. It's an Epic, so it's within the 12-mo warranty. That may also explain why it decided to fry itself in silence less than three feet from me. loving Korean manners.

Anyway, I wasn't counting on defective equipment, so I did not opt for TEP (guess what I'm going to be doing now) but was assured by a chat rep on the site that as it is within 12mos, and it can be determined to be a mechanical failure (i.e. not something I did) then it will be replaced and the fees will be waived. Is this the case? If this gimp-rear end phone of mine can't be revived in-store and it is found to be no fault of mine, is it a free replacement? Or is there some kind of deductible to pay?

Additionally, is there ANY way I can bullshit myself into an Evo instead of another Epic? Or do I have to settle for another of these pieces and just keep it on an icepack to keep from loving killing itself again?

Edit: I decided to try plugging it into my home computer for shits and giggles and I find that Samsung hates my rear end. My phone is working now. Had to pull the battery, plug it into the computer, then slip the battery back in as it was attempting to load the battery gauge. From there I let it load the battery gauge and then turned it on. gently caress you Samsung, gently caress you.

If the phone is defective you are covered, just a $35 fee. They will only swap for another Epic. What I recommend if you want an Evo is get your Epic working, sell it on craigslist and use the money to buy an Evo off craigslist (they go for the same price overall).

And to the dude wanting the Epic because you don't like the Shift, up to you, but Samsung sucks, the Epic is not much of an exception.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eyecannon posted:

Help! My wife spilled tea with honey on her Epic, and now it works, but the keyboard has certain letters that if you type them, three letters come out. The water damage indicators both triggered, so that sucks, and we do have TEP. What is the best way to deal with this? Take it to the store, and they replace keyboard? Do I need to flash to stock and/or unroot? Or because the water sensors triggered I have to pay $100?

Water damage is $100 deductable no leeway. Just go to phoneclaim.com/sprint and you can file, as long as it's before like, 8pm central you will get the phone the next day. You can bill the $100 to your account. And they don't care about it being rooted and having a custom ROM.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

If my dad bought the Epic from RadioShack under his number (he's the only one eligible for an upgrade) we could switch it over to my brother's number right? My dad doesn't care for Android and my brother could really use upgrade from the Hero.

I know these Samsung phones aren't the best for certain things but for $50 that's a drat steal.

Yeah, although be sure they never put it on his line, because if they swap it and then swap the hero back on, that would be a service swap and the hero would start getting charged $10 a month. So assuming radioshack is ok with doing it like that you are fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Eyecannon posted:

Awesome, thanks! Just curious, is that an official or unofficial policy about about the ROM thing?

Right now Sprint overlooks it in all cases because they don't have a definite way to show root and all that. There have been mixed reports on how much Sprint cares.

Either way, any debate on it is really more on whether ROMs void warranty (and whether carriers can use it to justify charging $100). In your case the warranty is already void (damage), so it really doesn't matter. Insurance covers everything, including someone completely screwing up their phone (which of course rarely happens with android) .

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ShowTime posted:

I've been checking google every few days, but have they announced an Evo 3d release date? I'm currently phoneless waiting for it to release.

$10 Says it is June 5th.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jaku78 posted:

Why do you believe it is going to be that early in June? We were hinted the Nexus S was going to be an April deal and it turns out May 8th. Now we are hinted it will be a June release. What is making your decision on this?

Beyond the timing corresponding with last years release, here is my theory (emphasize theory):
Instant rebates for Sprint stores were started in March and went to April 15th. The Echo then launched April 16th. Of course, instant rebates were extended, this time until May 7th. The Nexus S launches May 8th. Now instant rebates are extended until June 4th. So I'm theory something is launching or changing June 5th, I am betting its the Evo 3D.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

io_burn posted:

Is there any way for me to put a limit or block on my account to not allow 3G data overages? I basically use my MiFi as my primary internet connection, and have these nightmares of my computer deciding to just automatically download some massive update while connected to 3G, or have my iPhone associated to it and update apps without realizing how much I'm downloading then resulting in a massive Sprint bill.

Unfortunately not. My recommendation is disconnect your computer from it or turn off the mifi overnight.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TiCK posted:

I had the choice between the Samsung Moment and Evo 4G last upgrade I made (from an HTC Touchpro). I wanted the slide out keyboard so I went with the moment. It's nice and all but I had a bad day so I ordered the Evo Shift. Is it going to be able to run a new version of android or is it stuck with what it came with like the Moment? It's hard for me to google because it seems like android 2.3 was renamed 2.4 or some such poo poo.

No guarantees in upgrades ever unless its a Nexus phone is really the general rule. HTC is better about it, but not perfect (see Hero). Either way the Shift is still a good buy (unless you are a super phone user junkie), and even if it doesn't upgrade 2.2 is a much better software platform to be on than 2.1 and should stay relevant for a while.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

2.3 already leaked for the Evo 4G and the Shift is a newer phone. There's very little chance the Shift never gets 2.3.

Sorry, I meant official from Sprint. In terms of rooting you are definitely right, some people just are not comfortable with ROM stuff (although those people also likely don't care what version of Android they are on).

Alman posted:

Did anyone see this? :raise:

http://www.mobilebusinessbriefing.com/article/sprint-linked-to-data-pricing-strategy-switch-next-week

I'm not sure I believe this for two reasons - first, the "unlimited" ad campaign that was just run, and secondly, the whole point of the $10 was to preclude going to this system.

Those plans are in last week's employee playbook as for Broadband/Aircards, and those plans have been needing a refresh of sorts so I'm mostly for it. I don't think it affects phone plans (or tethering) in any way.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 3, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the aftermath posted:

I'm having GPS and tethering issues with my EVO ever since installed CM7. I've found directions on how to fix it but the only part I'm stuck on is which ROM should I download to install before going back to CM7. Help?

Any Sense UI based ROM is fine, I used Fresh so just use that one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Playbook for sprint (wifi only still) got delayed again release wise. For those very few holding their breath over it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

What is a Playbook for Sprint that is wifi only? Isn't that just called...a Playbook? Why would someone wait on a "sprint version" when they can just buy the non sprint version, if theyre the same thing?

I should have been more clear, its wifi only so it really doesn't matter where you get it from. All I said is that Sprint stores are delayed on getting it, so basically if you want it go to staples.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Port in credits are back, so going through sprint.com or any corporate or 3rd party store will net you $50 for a feature phone, $125 for a smartphone. Upgrades of course don't get this.

Edit: Update to this: Sprint is also offering a $50 credit for anyone porting a new number over that actively serves in the military. Its combinable, so anyone in military getting a smartphone can get up to $175 just for switching.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 4, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

Port in meaning taking your number from another service into Sprint?

How long will these last, do you think?

Yep and until June 23rd I believe.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

So basically "before the EVO 3D comes out" then? I figured as much.

Actually the Evo 3D will very possibly be out before then.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Does the Port-in discount apply to EPRP? Or does that count as corporate?

Not completely sure, but according to the website it is available for all consumer accounts, so my bet is yes (EPRP is not a corporate plan from my understanding).

http://www.sprint.com/switchtosprint

and

https://www.sprint.com/50promo

And for business accounts, its $175 a line:

https://www.sprintportcredit.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

It is like seeing a sexy woman far away only to find it she is a cross dresser when you get up close.

Can this be the new android thread title?