Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Word to your mother.

I should be back a lot more now.

My daughter was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy, but she should be ok, just some therapy, maybe some braces, and some medicines for a while, but in the end she should be a normal little girl. Now that this 14 month nightmare is finally over, and we can focus on getting her better, I should have some more time for personal poo poo.

With that out of the way,

The Nexus S is awesome, except it's made by loving Samsung. I will never EVER EVER buy a Samsung phone ever. They are all giant pieces of poo poo. I don't care if you or your mother, or your best friend has one and it sucks your loving dick every hour and wire transfers 8 billion dollars into your bank account every 10 minutes. gently caress Samsung.

I've quite literally swapped out thousands of Samsung phones, including the "high end" ones, because they are pieces of poo poo. It's one thing when some idiot drops their phone over and over again and wonders why poo poo isn't 100. It's totally another when you get a phone that looks like it was just pulled out of the box, and has completely failed. Be it the touchscreen, charging port, speaker, etc. gently caress Samsung. If they gave me a Nexus S I would go ahead and just break the charging port over and over again until I was swapped into something else, because it's going to loving happen anyway.

Don't get me started on their software bullshit either. loving sweaty nerds in their basement can get gingerbread running 99% flawlessly on the EVO, but teams of people whos only job is to code loving software for a loving smartphone cant get MOTHERFUCKING FROYO WHICH CAME OUT LAST YEAR, to work on the giant hunk of poo poo known as the Epic, because TouchWiz is a such a poorly coded bloated pile of poo poo software.

Once again, gently caress Samsung. Even their lovely free flip phones dont work right. The m240 won't even keep your call history. Do they release a software update to fix that? No, they don't. Samsung is the cause of about 95% of my getting cussed out by customers, because their lovely software or hardware is failing for absolutely no loving fault of the customer. I know people who have been through 6 moments, 3 intercepts, and now on their fourth transform. All for legitimate swaps.

Chappy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Cozmosis posted:

I realize both of those things. I don't care about battery generally, as long as I can get a day's use out of my phone. I was not that lucky with the T-bolt.

The T-bolt wont let you disable LTE without a third party app. When you turn LTE off the battery is fine.

tehfox0r posted:

I think I went through 4 instincts before I just said gently caress it and bought an Evo, and I swear I'll never buy a samsung phone again. But, my roommate has an AT&T captivate and legitimately enjoys it, reasons that it is the better of the two android devices, even with his phone running a bloatware heavy touch-wiz build of 2.1. I wait daily to hear about how the touch screen on it has stopped working or that it won't take a charge anymore, because I'm utterly convinced that Samsung's mobile division is run by autistics

I had blocked the loving instinct from memory. gently caress that heap of poo poo.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

"4G" on a phone is a gimmick right now anyway, unless you are using it for a hotspot.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Don't forget that the Nexus S has internal memory, and no card slot. I know 16gb is enough, but when your port eventually fails or your phone just decides to stop working just because, and all the data on your storage partition is gone, don't say I didn't warn you.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Honestly, just wait. The EVO 3D will probably be the same price as the current EVO, but better in every possible way.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Ozmodiar posted:

HAHA. Oops. Was the Q9x (or whatever the gently caress the "updated" Q was called) WinMo 6? Maybe I'm thinking of that.

EDIT:

Binge just posted this over in the Rooted thread.

I thought I'd ask here to see if any of the Sprint-people can comment on the linked article...

It's exactly the opposite of what Sprint's policy just became. We are supposed to attempt to re-flash approved software first, and if the problem still happens, to swap the phone out.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

I have already seen official Sprint emails on attempts to not validate warranty on rooted phones (they dropped it because the method was not foolproof), and the author is pretty much spot on that carriers are definitely playing cat and mouse. This has been going on for years (just look at tethering with the iPhone on ATT), and in the end it sucks.

It sucks, but carriers see it as an unauthorized usage of their network, and unless a federal agency jumps in they will continue to do poo poo like this. In the end they hold the cards to what I can see: they determine what phones get released with what locks, and they have a contract signed with pretty much everyone saying unauthorized tethering voids your contract.

The only defense for the carriers is that a lot of people are aware of how to get free tethering at this point. The argument that only geeks do it I have found to be false. Its still ridiculous to block it in my opinion.

Edit: just saw what chappy posted. All I can really say is I have seen an email to the contrary, but in the end this is not my best area of expertise or what I deal with daily. Chappy, curious if you can elaborate?

It's literally an M&P that went into effect today. It should be on RSP.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Ozmodiar posted:

Well, that's good news.

Does this mean that it's not a "requirement" for me to flash back to stock if I have a problem anymore?

Yep.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Ozmodiar posted:

Score.

What's funny is that every Sprint rep I've talked to in the last year in a store had a rooted phone anyhow...haha.

Yep, that's how my store is.

Here's how I handled it in the first place. If your phone was rooted, but you had some sort of physical problem, not related to rooting, IE, blown speaker, bad mic, cracked screen, etc, I'd fix or replace your phone.

If you came to me with weird loving software problems and you rooted your phone, and brought it to a sprint store still loving rooted, I'd laugh at you and tell you go home and post on XDA to figure your problem out.

Now I have to flash it back for you, then you get to go try it again. Not a big deal.

Chappy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 6, 2011

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Protip posted:

A quick questions for those familiar with Blackberries on Sprint. My fiance is going to be replacing her older Curve 8330 with a Tour 9630 that a friend gave to her. Now the 9630 uses a SIM card while the Curve does not, and they took out the sim card before giving it to her. Will I have to go into Sprint for a new SIM card, or will the phone work without one? She doesn't need the world function of the phone, and I was hoping all I'd have to do is activate it online, but I want to be sure I'm taking the necessary steps before accidentally causing her to be without a phone for however long.

It only uses a SIM for international travel. If you don't plan on traveling with it, it will work fine without the SIM.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

A spectrum protection site is built so sprint doesn't lose the spectrum holding. Once you have spectrum the FCC gives you so long to start using it. These towers are in place so sprint doesn't lose the spectrum.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

zeek40 posted:

OK, so it's just a way to circumvent the spirit of the law FCC ruling, while obeying the letter.

I'm not sure it's circumventing anything. It takes time to build out a network.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah you can do that, but you won't get your mail in rebate.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Ah yeah, right now is the instant rebates thing. If there were a mail in rebate, you wouldn't get it.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

brc64 posted:

If I still lived where I did before, I think I could keep a fairly clear conscience. Verizon: full bars; Sprint: constantly switching between crap and roaming. Even the Airave didn't help much, because it was only able to cover so much of the house.

I don't really think it's any less ethical than tethering without a plan, and I wouldn't even consider unless it wasn't costing Sprint a dime. And even then, I'd need a good reason, which I don't really have any more. I just said it would be more tempting.

Good lord man, I'm guessing you either live in a huge house, or one made out of iron or something.

My house is single story, 1800 square foot. I get full Airrave signal in every single room, and even 30 feet or so outside of my house.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

The capacitive stylus is about the size of a pen. I was going to buy one but I'm probably getting the HTC view and it already comes with one.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Looks like the epic might be getting official 2.3 at some point.

Keep that dream alive buddy.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Feel free to put this info in the OP. My info for eprp is as follows :

Clinton.Chapman@sprint.com 530.

They are actually wanting us to give this info out to anyone that wants it now, so feel free to use it for anyone you want. Give it to your loving mailman if he wants eprp.

But please use mine and not that dude from the blog. They are giving prizes and stuff for people with the most referrals.

Chappy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 21, 2011

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah but you could always do that, just now you can do with with your sprint number.

I actually like having two numbers. I give the GV number to people I really don't want to talk to, since it's so easy to filter them out.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

io_burn posted:

No I don't have a Sprint phone, my phone is an AT&T iPhone. Does Sprint network not work like GSM in that (theoretically, before AT&T started detecting tethering and SIM swapping) I could pop the SIM out of my iPhone, pop it into a GSM MiFi, and have access to that unlimited data? Couldn't I do that, but instead of swapping SIMs just do an ESN swap? Yeah, it would cost $100/mo, but what would prevent me from doing that aside from one plan being a data connect plan and one plan being a phone plan with features I can't use?

I really want to figure out if this is possible or not because with both unlimited 3G/4G, I really could use my MiFi as my primary internet connection even if it cost a little bit more.

Buy an evo shift for 149, activate it, root it. Use the wireless tether app. 79.99 a month for unlimited 3g and 4g.

To answer your question, you cannot just do an ESN swap. You can only add certain plans to some devices.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

HClChicken posted:

Don't you have to pay 10.00 a month now for data on smartphones?

The 79.99 includes the 10 extra a month. the plan is 69.99 normally

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

brc64 posted:

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I'm talking about moving my existing Voice number to a different Google account so that I can take advantage of the Sprint integration without losing that number. There's a form you can fill out to request a transfer, but I never heard back on it.

Can you link that form? I know you said you aren't having any luck but I want to try just the same.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

While Verizon & Sprint phones are CDMA cross-compatible technically (which is why roaming works), neither carrier will actually activate the other's devices. For the most part, they only light up their own branded devices.

If you have US Cellular, MetroPCS, or Cricket service in your area you could try activating it on them. Although beware that the "flashing" process in general for CDMA phones is a bit tricky.

Not to mention that most places don't have the ability to re-flash your phone back if you decide you hate the regional carriers and want to come back

There's one in the Indianapolis area called Revol. They will flash any CDMA phone you bring to them to work on their network. Problem is, they change the MSL to 000000. When someone tries to bring a phone flashed for Revol back to Sprint, data never works because the phone's MSL doesn't match what's in our database. We don't have access to the tools to flash the MSL back to what it should be, and we are forbidden to put anything not approved on our machines, so even if we wanted to download CDMA workshop and flash it back, we risk getting in trouble to do it.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

brc64 posted:

I got it from this post, earlier in the thread:

I was a little weary to begin with since there's no clear indication that this is a legit Google form, which is bothersome. But it was linked from what appeared to be a reputable source in the support thread there, so...

I was honest when I filled out the form, so maybe that's why they didn't do it. If I made up some excuse for needing to move the account, maybe I would have had more luck.

That, or it's not really a legit form and somebody stole my PIN..

Nah, it's legit. I found that form in a google FAQ searching for it, but it looked like it was for mistakes. I was honest when I filled mine out too. Here's hoping.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

ShowTime posted:

So do you know when the Evo 3d is coming out? Why aren't you telling us?

No one knows for sure yet, but good money is on or around 6/5. Sprint usually launches flagship phones in June.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

madmaan posted:

Is there a way I can walk into the store and get my nexus s for 200 bucks and get my EPRP added at the same time? For example, can I sign up on the web and go pick up my phone in store? Or do I setup my plan at a computer at the sprint store?

If you don't yet have an EPRP account, you need to have one set up first, and no, you cannot set it up online and get your phone in store.

It's next day shipping though, so you should have it tuesday if you order it tomorrow.

Finally, I'm absolutely in love with the xoom

Chappy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 8, 2011

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

ninmeister posted:

Does Sprint still do the manufacturer warranty repair work in store for a 35 dollar fee thing? It looks like the earpiece speaker on my Evo is blown out which seemed to happen out of the loving blue two days ago (higher pitched sounds make a horrible buzzing noise).

Also note I'm a cheap idiot who took TEP off my phone.

Yes. It will be $35 bucks.

Honestly, you usually come out way ahead by not having TEP as long as you don't lose or break your phone.

Not saying it's a fantastic idea, but if all you pay is $35 bucks, or even 70 during the life of your contract for repairs, that's still a lot cheaper than 2 years of TEP.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

We are over capacity in a lot of areas. This growth was kind of unexpected apparently.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Alman posted:

see: AT&T post-iPhone

Pretty much. Although the tower vision plan will help out a lot in this area. I don't think it will be this way for much longer.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

nate fisher posted:

What is the difference in Sense 2.1 and Sense 3.0?

3.0 is a lot bigger. It has more animations, the ability to change your theme, things like that.

I know when you load a 3.0 sense rom on an EVO, there's about 80 megs of storage left on the device.

In other news, I got a free Nexus S for being the advocate at my store, and I have to say, I don't hate it. It's a lot faster than thought. It's a lot snappier and more responsive than even the EVO on cyanogenmod7.

I'll still probably sell it and get an EVO 3D when they come out though.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

Gotcha. I though they were implying that there was a single phone that came out recently that upped the subscribers. I have had an EVO since it came out, and I personally have more friends that have the EVO than have an iPhone so I know it is a popular phone.

Honestly, I think the shift is selling just as well. We are out of them constantly, and have been since launch.

Between the Evo, Evo shift, and yes, even the Epic, we have three pretty popular phones.

Chappy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 18, 2011

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Grumpwagon posted:

Is there some reason the new Motorola world phone is $900? My sister is going to be living in Europe for a year, and it'd be nice if we could get a decent world phone, but gently caress paying $549 WITH contract, or $899 without.

It also has a barcode scanner and some custom version of Windows Mobile.

It's not for the average end user.

Wait for the XPRT to come out if you want something with Android on Sprint and that's a world phone, otherwise buy a used Tour, Bold or Touch Pro 2 off of Craigslist/Ebay.

The XPRT comes out on 6/5, or next Sunday.

Honestly, for a year time frame you should just get a local phone and SIM from there, and use some VOIP solution for her to talk to the family. I thought I read somewhere about someone getting a Magic Jack with a US number, taking it overseas, and people were able to call for free.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

OK so I got the Nexus S for free via our advocate program. I want to yell "pull" throw it in the air and shoot at it with a shotgun. It has such a lovely radio in it I'm considering really activating my lovely Blackberry style again until I can swindle my way into a 3d. I sold my Evo so I can't go back to that. But yeah its basically useless to me as a phone.

Its like a hot girl with herpes. You have to decide if its worth it.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

JibbaJabbaJimmy posted:

I read that the Evo also had widespread reports of a weak radio when it was first released but this was fixed with OTA updates.

It wasn't like this at all. It was a small batch of Google I/O devices that had that issue. It was fixed when they were updated to release software.

This is nearly every nexus s. And its to the point where the phone is unusable. I'm sitting 10 feet from my router and I barely have wifi signal. I have no cellular signal right now.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

Quoting myself in hopes that someone knows.

They arent supposed to fix it at all, but luckily you know a guy. Pm me.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

That engadget review is poo poo. 14 hours with all of the radios on (which I'm assuming means 4g too) is absolutely fantastic. We have had a review unit at my store since Tuesday and so far its a kick rear end phone. Everyone plays with it constantly, mostly using 3d stuff and its at 50% at the end of the day.

I also don't get what problems people have with the buttons. They work great for me.

Finally I don't get why they say sense is bad. This version of sense is great. I know it was lovely on the hero due to the hardware but it loving flies on the 3d.

As far as 3d stuff goes if you never want to use it you don't. Its not really forced on you.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What about the claim that the 3D screen layer makes the regular 2D screen somewhat blurry? Have you noticed anything like that?

Not one bit.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

If I were to go into a Sprint store that (for the sake of argument) had a review unit, and ask them if I could see it, what are the chances they would oblige? Or is it a strictly employee's-eyes-only sort of thing?

It all depends on your store. My current store is anal about it but my previous one couldn't give two shits.

Your best bet is to find a rep and to tell them you are about to port in 5 lines from vzw and you will come see them on launch day if they let you sneak a peek.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Mahoning posted:

It doesn't. Definitely nicer than the EVO's screen in terms of resolution, but the color saturation and everything is virtually identical to the EVO. Just doesn't compare to the vibrance of SAMOLED.

I know I'm going to sound crazy for this, but I prefer non SAMOLED screens. SAMOLED looks almost fake to me. There's just something about it I really do not like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

Dear retarded goon with the sprint.com username rtate9914. You signed up to sprint.com with my email address. Please change that ASAP.

Also why the gently caress are any of you considering the Within? It's a Samsung product. It will gently caress up on you in some spectacular fashion, or something basic won't work for poo poo until a year later.

Chappy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 28, 2011