Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Gumball Dad posted:

Yeah, but would it really be worth it? I'm a heavy user of any hardware, but is there enough of a reason to hold out? Also temporarily switching to Virgin would be a fine idea except that the Optimus costs $200 and I'm not sure I'd be able to recoup much of that loss two months from now by selling it on craigslist.
At this point, if you need to switch now, it'd probably be best to buy a cheap Sprint phone from Craigslist or eBay and upgrade in June when the EVO 3D (probably) comes out. Even if you don't think the 3D is worth it, the original EVO should be pretty cheap at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

kalibar posted:

Sounds pretty obviously like Sprint's malware to me, Samsung's just the executioner (in this instance).

Not that the latter party is "innocent" by any stretch; there's blood on everyone's hands.
Yeah, it's not just Samsung, if you check the running processes on the EVO, Carrier IQ is there too, just called something like HTC IQAgent instead.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Is there a limit on exchanges that can be made for new phones? My pre is effectively useless as of today, and my upgrade date is May 1. If I get a nexus S then, then 30 days later trade it for a evo shift, can i trade the shift 30 days later for an evo 3d which is what I really want (assuming it's out)?
There is. I can't remember the limit on the number of phones, but you can only swap within 30 days of the purchase of the first phone.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I'm sure it won't take long for someone to make a case with a kickstand for the EVO 3D but I'll still miss it a little bit.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Maybe the camera button will be useful but god is it distracting and ugly compared to the rest of the device. It sticks out too far and the chrome stands out against the sleek black design.

Has it been confirmed whether or not the Evo 3D has a notification/Charging LED or not?
Looks like it does have one according to videos linked in this thread on Android Forums.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

OptimusMatrix posted:

Dammit come on Surprise. 4G is slowly coming online in Phoenix but not quick enough for me.

More like Clearwire is putting random towers where they need to in order to keep their spectrum and pissing off people looking at the coverage map hoping it'll expand :mad:

It's sad looking at the coverage map around where I live and seeing the small areas of coverage and the gaps where I live and work and knowing I probably won't see 4G until Sprint goes LTE.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

That makes a lot more sense.
Sorry, got mixed up when I posted... still hate seeing those little specks of coverage on Clear's site though :v:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

You know, everytime a phone like that gets announced I start thinking about how I wish someone would make an Android phone with a 4"+ screen and a slide out portrait keyboard. I like my on screen keyboard but I still miss my BlackBerry keyboard sometimes and I don't care much for landscape keyboards (on screen or physical). I might end up hating it if it ever gets made but I'd like to see one of the major hardware companies give it a try.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

goku chewbacca posted:

Once you've closed your account or have a new phone activated, open the dialer on the deactivated Evo and type ##786#, Menu>reset. Type in your MSL (master subsidy lock). This will perform a factory reset, remove any of your account information programming and have the phone startup the Hands Free Activation process for the new owner.

You can call customer service and get your MSL if you tell them you want to perform an RTN on your hone to sellvit on the used market. Or download a terminal program from the market and type in 'getprop' no quotations. Scroll up and find the line that looks something like
[rsl.MSL]:123456
That's your 6-digit MSL.
There's also an app in the Market called MSL Reader now that will look it up for you :)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Mahoning or chappy would know that one more than me.

And the Nexus S is a God send for sprint's phone lineup. They have been needing a solid all touchscreen phone slightly smaller than the Evo, and it does the trick. Sales on it already seem good (and after the Echo and Arrive, refreshing). Is it bad that despite my dislike of Samsung I would consider the Nexus?
Nope, it's the only Samsung I would consider too. I'd be worried about longevity though, I'm pretty sure I'd want to upgrade in less than two years.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

nate fisher posted:

With all signs point to the EVO 3D bootloader being locked good chance I am going to wait and see which Galaxy 2 Sprint gets. If it is one of the thin sexy ones and it is unlocked I think I might go that route. I know Samsung software sucks but it will not be on it long at all.

Edit: it is my understanding that if the EVO 3D is locked you can not permanent root it? Is that correct?
I'm thinking about checking the SGS2 out too, we'll see what happens with the US versions.

With a locked bootloader you can root but you can't use custom ROMs. I seem to remember it restricting something else but I can't think of it right now.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

unknown poster posted:

Lost my evo, I have TEP, can I get a replacement at the sprint store or do I have to go through Asurion and wait for it to be overnighted or whatever?
That would be a warranty claim so you'd have to go through Asurion and pay the deductible.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

WoG posted:

Samsung 'Within'? That may literally be the worst product name I've ever heard.
That sounds like something Samsung would do though... and they've already filed for trademarks on the names so I bet those are the ones.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

brc64 posted:

Does the S stand for "Suckers"?
It stands for SPECIAL! :downs:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did I miss a price being announced for the EVO 3D? If one hasn't been announced, it seems kind of foolish to preorder a phone without knowing price OR release date.
No, you haven't missed anything. No price or release date yet, just guesses and rumors.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Yeah but that shouldn't matter. The old Premier, and now Premier silver only requires family plans to be $99.99 or more. My plan is $134 plus taxes and fees.
You only get the one year upgrade on Premier Gold now though and for that you need to be at $169.99/month or be a customer for 10+ years.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Right but I should be grandfathered in. Everyone has been saying that anyone who would have been eligible for the upgrade in June but lost it because of being silver now is still eligible though June. Since I was Premier and am now silver and would have been eligible in June I should still be.
They didn't grandfather anyone in but some people have said in the thread that retention can bring it back for you.

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm considering an early termination sometime in the near future, and was wondering if anyone had a price range for how much it would cost me on about 7 of 24 months in my contract.
Sprint actually has a page with that info. At month 7 it'd be $170.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Ozmodiar posted:

Isn't LG still the leading candidate to produce the Nexus 3?

I thought I read somewhere that Google was testing a htc AND a LG device, and one of them would end up being the Nexus 3?

Either way, I'm excited that there's a good chance Sprint will get it out of the gate, and I'll be holding off on the EVO 3D in favor of the Nexus 3.
There was a rumor that LG would be making a Nexus tablet and it seems like that ended up morphing into the LG Nexus 3 rumor. Either way, I'm going to try and wait for more info on the Nexus 3 before I make any phone purchase decisions.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Aside from "Samsung", is there anything that makes the upcoming SGS2/Within a worse choice than the Evo 3D? I like how thin the SGS2 is and I love the screen but being a Samsung product, I'm naturally afraid of it.
Hard to say until the US versions start coming out. Based on what everyone's saying about the international SGS2 right now, it sounds like the first good Android phone that Samsung's made on their own.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

So is the EVO 3D still the fastest kid on the Sprint block, or is there some crazy dual core android phone about to come out?
The just announced Photon 4G might outperform it just because of the Tegra 2 chipset but I don't think anyone knows for sure yet. But then there's the forthcoming Samsung Galaxy S II that will probably outperform both of those. And after that, the unannounced Nexus 3 (that Sprint will hopefully get at launch this time) will probably blow all of them out of the water.

There's always something better around the corner no matter when you decide to buy :)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I was a victim of the Samsung Moment and I'm still tempted by the Galaxy S II :(

I really like the Photon's form factor and specs but that locked bootloader kills it for me. It'd be nice if they changed it post-release like HTC is doing.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ShowTime posted:

What are the chances a custom ROM will be able to utilize the 3d features and be able to toggle them on/off?
Probably depends on how much of it is open source. (My guess is that the 3D portion will be closed source though.)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

zer0spunk posted:

My upgrade is due july 1st, but I'm pretty sick of my current device.

I hit up online sales asking if they are able to bump up my date to the 24th and this is what I was told:

REP: Unfortunately,it won't be possible to change the upgrade eligibility date because the phone's upgrade eligibility depends on the active age of the device. It is systematically defined and unfortunately is not possible to reset it manually from our end.

hope you understand our system limitation in this regard.Had it been possible for us, I would have already gone ahead and offered it to you.. However you can pre-order for this phone at your nearest Sprint store with $50.00 gift cared and can get this phone, once, the line becomes eligible for upgrade.

I feel like I've seen other instances of people convincing them to bump the date slightly..am I just SOL?
If I remember correctly, stores can still let you use your upgrade as long as you're within 2? weeks of the upgrade date. Duckman can probably say for sure next time he sees the thread.

Super Dude posted:

Is it possible to stack the EPRP discount with a state employee discount?
Officially, no. I believe people have managed to do it but it's rare. In a number of cases, standard pricing with a corporate discount ends up being cheaper than EPRP.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Virtually none. I wasn't aware people actually used that on their phone. Although I can see the appeal as a psuedo-dock.
I use mine a lot, particularly to watch MLB.TV while at work :v:

big mean giraffe posted:

I just realized, that puts the usb port on the table/whatever you put the phone on, doesn't it? Well there goes my ideas for it.
I think the Thunderbolt kickstand has the same issue, as does the kickstand on the upcoming Photon 4G. I don't understand why they didn't just flip the kickstand, it's not like Android doesn't support rotation in both directions.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

The Entire Universe posted:

If I signed up for the EVO 3D at Best Buy, does that wipe my upgrade then and there or does it not go away until the time of sale?

Contemplating just going through Amazon as it's cheaper and just using the $50 GC from Best Buy on something else.
It shouldn't go away until you actually buy the phone.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

:sigh: I don't know what to do about my EVO not receiving SMS/MMS. Sprint's solution is always to refresh my account from their end which never fixes the problem. I'm afraid to take it to a Sprint store because I'm afraid they'll replace my EVO and an unrootable EVO.

edit: oh and Sprint chat gave me a number to call that ended up being a fax machine.
I had this happen the other day and fixed it by manually deleting the SMS database but I'm guessing you've probably tried that already or wiped the phone, which would clear that out anyway.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

There is an app on the marketplace that force roams, not sure how good it is. It requires root.
If you're referring to Roam Control, it's overpriced but it works great on the EVO 4G.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

The new sense lockscreen is totally different and afaik you can't yet duplicate it in widgetlocker.
Yeah, not possible yet but I asked the dev about it and he's planning to add the capability.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I got burned by buying the Samsung Moment when it launched but I still want the Epic Touch :( I'm going to try my best to wait until people start finding its flaws this time.

Despite having an EVO, I don't want the 3D and the pentile screen on the Photon looks like poo poo. I'd like to hold out for the next Nexus but I'm not sure I can make it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Samsung seems pretty intent on promoting the epic touch, they are offering a free touch to any indirect employee that sells 5 of them in a month ish timeframe. Crazy promo.
Yeah my wife is planning to push it until she sells 5 so she can get one :v:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ddogflex posted:

The old Airaves were Samsung, and rock-loving-solid. The new ones are made by Airvana and pieces of poo poo. I don't even use mine, it causes more problems than it helps. loving frustrating.
Yeah, I hate mine, all kinds of issues and apparently Sprint knows about them but can't seem to get them fixed.

manwithoutskin posted:

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch-pre-orders-at-walmart-for-only-99-09178609/

Scanned this thread didn't see anything about this... Pre-Order with a new contract and get the GS2 for $99.

I've got a corporate discount that would give me $150 towards a new phone once I sign a 2 year contract, would Walmart be able to honor that (and give me the phone for free) or would that most likely only happen at Sprint stores?
The $150 thing just means you'll get the phone at Sprint's new customer price and not $150 off the advertised price of the phone. Also the price that Walmart is offering is only for new customers.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I know I said I was going to wait but I'm seriously thinking about getting up early tomorrow to go visit my wife at work... and maybe pick up the Epic Touch while I'm there. And this is coming about 15 months after I swore I'd never buy another Samsung phone ever again. loving Samsung and their phones that look and sound great in the beginning. :mad:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

corpsed posted:

Just ordered a Samsung Epic 4G Touch to replace my ailing Palm Pre. It should arrive not this Wednesday, but the one after it--I can't wait.
My wife and I just replaced our EVOs with the ET and like it a lot. However since we both had Moments in the past as well I'm sure we'll end up regretting it one day. :v:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Well that was quick! Already having problems with my Epic Touch losing service until I reboot.

gently caress you Samsung. gently caress you so loving much.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

nate fisher posted:

My wife is having the same problem with her 3D in relation to data. It is driving her crazy. We are going to try and get a replacement this Saturday at the store.
Great to hear there's issues with every new phone Sprint has :(

I'm waiting a few more days but this thing might be going back, which is a shame because the phone is really nice.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

I haven't seen any real reports (yet) on new high-end phones except the headphone buzz on the Bionic, so it could just be a bad radio in yours.
Yeah, I'm wondering if it's bad hardware myself as my wife's hasn't had the issue yet. Going to be out of town tomorrow but planning to swap it out when I get back.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

tijag posted:

IS th3e Samsung Galaxy S II Otterbox case suitable for use with the Epic 4G Touch? I'm guessing not since the Touch is 4.5" screen.

Any suggestions on a good otterbox like case?
No it's not, besides the screen size difference the camera arrangement on the back is different too. (I think the ET is slightly thicker as well.)

I haven't seen anything comparable to the OtterBox yet and it sounds like they might not be making one for this phone.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

kylejack posted:

The shutter sound on the Epic Touch camera can't be disabled and it's driving me crazy. Some people have rooted to rename sound files while others are bricking their phones with the current root process.
Download ODIN from this thread and use this method for stock kernel with root and delete the sound files. I'm using that on mine and haven't had any problems. The auto focus sound still comes up but it won't when the phone's on silent. Also make sure you don't use the PIT when flashing but coming from the Epic you probably already know you don't need it most of the time.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

kylejack posted:

Hm, Odin detects the phone, but then stops on Setup Connection.

Edit: Tried a different USB port and it worked. Then I used this method to disable the camera sound: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1264965

Yet the sound still fires. Ugh.
That method doesn't actually work, if you read further in the thread, the OP mentions that but didn't change his post. You have to go in and remove the shutter sounds in /system/audio/media/ui either with something like Root Explorer or ES File Explorer or with ADB. The auto focus sound is locked in Camera.apk somewhere so someone will have to modify that to remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

kylejack posted:

I'm not root, despite flashing the two images.
Make sure you also flash the zip file in ClockworkMod from the second thread. Basically it goes like this:

1. Flash this
2. Flash this
3. Download this ZIP, boot into ClockworkMod Recovery and apply it
4. Flash this again.

Step 1 may not even be necessary. It's not the simplest process yet but zedomax's kernels have given me issues. I'm hoping someone with actual dev experience puts out something soon.