Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

On Sprint? So it turns out the E4GT has its own issues. The big one is "Loss of Signal", whereby the radio randomly loses connectivity and can only be fixed with a reboot. Which is super convenient when it happens while the phone is in your pocket and you're expecting calls and poo poo.

In general, folks complain about a variety of radio issues. Aside from "Loss of Signal", they complain that its reception isn't the greatest. Plus it lacks ESMR band support and EVDO rev B.
I have the ET and so far have only experienced the signal loss issue on the pre-rooted kernel. The people on XDA will accost you for suggesting that's the cause though. But really, what do you expect from a kernel made by someone who's never done it before that was partially hacked together with pieces of the international SGS2 kernel?

To be fair, I guess it does happen on stock phones but it's a very rare occurrence and hasn't happened to my wife and I since I went back to the stock kernel.

Also it does support ESMR according to the FCC filings and EVDO Rev B is unconfirmed but looking like it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Honestly? I expected it not to boot and brick a bunch of phones. They got incredibly lucky that it didn't do that. Using a kludge kernel to dump /system so they could dump a stock kernel from another phone is fine. But it was incredibly irresponsible of them to release the utterly broken kludge kernel.

That said, it's not the sole cause of the loss of signal problem. A source-compiled kernel could easily exacerbate the problem, if, for example, it's a synchronization bug that's more frequently triggered by code generated by the Code Sourcery compiler instead of whatever Samsung uses in house. Not that I'm suggesting it is a synchronization bug, but Samsung radio-related crashes aren't without precedence. The Epic's RIL has a synchronization bug that crashes the GPS. In which case xda isn't really to be blamed here, it's Samsung's mistake. Which Sprint actually acknowledges, so far.
Oh Samsung, will you ever make a decent CDMA Android phone? I know it's not solely kernel related but it definitely makes it worse. I've actually been hoping it would happen for me again so I could send my logs to Sprint but ever since I went stock it's been fine.

I was in the IRC channel while root was being worked on and I'm surprised he got so far with it. There were bricked phones involved and people kept telling him not to do what he was doing but he kept going and managed to find a way to make a kernel that was just unbroken enough to work. I'm looking forward to seeing what real devs can do with the phone because it's pretty powerful and I like it a lot so far. (AMOLED without PenTile is so nice too!)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

The Entire Universe posted:

(yes, even the SGSIIE4GT - how's your GPS and signal strength by the way)
Pretty good, thanks for asking :)

Mark Larson posted:

I don't think the iPhone4 will ever work on Sprint.
Sprint's supposed to be getting the iPhone 4 and 4S from everything I've read so far.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

beergod posted:

Didnt att offer like all current customers subsidy-costed iphone3gs when they first came out if they reupped? Because that would be awesome if sprint did that.
I think that was just for iPhone 3G customers though.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Telex posted:

So, I basically got told my ETF was $100 which is better than i was hoping.

I also got told that because the iphone has to be enshrouded in secrecy they can't tell me how much it's going to cost on Sprint for non-upgrade prices.
Well the iPhone 4 is listed at $549 on Sprint.com right now. I assume the 4S will have a full price listed when they start taking pre-orders tomorrow.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

berzerkmonkey posted:

So it looks like I'm in the market for a Galaxy S II. The screen, the camera, and the descriptions of the "buttery" feel of the UI have pretty much sold me. I've been waiting for an Android phone that has the smoothness of the iPhone, and it sounds like Samsung has stepped up to the plate.

The only problem I've read about them is a radio issue where the phone loses signal and seemingly can't get it back. Is this a common occurrence, or am I just seeing the 10% complain?
Personally, my wife and I love ours and only have the radio issue when using a custom kernel. Since we went back to the stock kernel, it hasn't happened once. People claim it happens on stock too (and Sprint says the first update will fix it) but I haven't seen it happen myself.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

sysum1 posted:

I just re-upped my contract with sprint last week in order to pre-order an iphone.

Because I also recently realized that I don't use very much data I'm seriously considering going to verizon.

If I returned the iphone (it's still in the mail) would it be possible for me to cancel my new contract, go back to being on month-to-month and just pay a re-stock fee?
Yeah, as long as you return it within the 14 day window.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Xeus posted:

I ended up getting a samsung galaxy s II. Is this generally considereda good phone?
I really like it and I think we're going to see CyanogenMod on it before the end of the year. As much as I hate the name, TeamWin has some decent people (including the guy who got WiMAX support in CM7 for the EVO) and RootzWiki just sent them an Epic 4G Touch today to develop on.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

blargle posted:

Is there a decent rom out there for the Sprint Galaxy S2? My brother just picked one up and wants me to root it and flash CM7, but I didn't realize it was only for the GSM version of the phone.
Right now I'm running midNIGHT ROM 2.2, I figure it'll hold me over until CM7 comes out. (Hopefully!)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah he's retarded, it's HTC's fault.
It's not just HTC anymore, the E4GT is set to only show 3G as well.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Casao posted:

So does this rotate backwards, i.e in two years it would be 09/01, or is it always going to be 11/01?
Yeah, it's 22 months from the date of the upgrade, although starting with upgrades after October 2nd, you'll be eligible again in 20 months rather than 22.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

halokiller posted:

Which method did you use? I went with flashing thru ODIN to get CWM/root on stock and I got nothing but LOS issues since.
I would suggest backing everything up and using ODIN to flash the "EG31" build that just came out and then using scarymonkey's link to root it. (You can also flash this in ODIN to get CWM5 with that build.) I did that on Thursday and things have been probably the most stable they ever have since then.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

halokiller posted:

Gonna try this method now. I was still thinking at that time where can only have either root or CWM recovery (not both) on stock unless you used a custom ROM (which caused the LOS issue).
Oh yeah, that was the case for a bit. That second link is the stock EG31 kernel modified by chris41g to include CWM5 and initramfs changes to make it compatible with ROM Manager. Every kernel he's released - stock or custom - has been extremely stable. All those lovely Zedomax kernels we were stuck with in the beginning gave me LOS every hour or two.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

GEMorris posted:

So, the Galaxy S™ ll, Epic™ 4G Touch.... Its made by Samsung so what is currently broken on it? Is there any reasonable expectation of those broken things getting fixed? Am I about to get burned by buying one of these?
My wife and I haven't had any issues that weren't caused by rooting or using a lovely ROM. Now that the root process has been improved, you shouldn't have any problems. GPS locks slower than the EVO but that's my only complaint.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

CRUISECONTROL posted:

I mostly just want ICS sooner than like a year from now. It doesn't look like the Epic or Touch have CM either, which kind of sucks.
CM for the Epic Touch is being worked on and an ICS port is in the works and should be functional next week hopefully.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

halokiller posted:

So Epic 4G Touch owners got an OTA update today:

Of course, it only installs on EG30 modems and I flashed EG31 from that link a while back. :doh:
I don't have LOS issues or any other problems so it's fine for now.
The EG30 TAR was just posted so you can flash the EG30 modem and upgrade to EK02 now :)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

zenintrude posted:

I just got the E4GT from a Sprint store 2 days ago in a contract renewal... what are the chances that I can get the store to refund me some cash?
Approximately 0% if I had to guess. You should be able to return it and get your upgrade back to buy it online though if you wanted to go that route.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Discount changes again, yay

http://www.sprintfeed.com/2011/12/sprint-changing-discount-policy-starting-february-2nd-2012-it-just-might-cost-you/

quote:

Starting on February 1st 2012, Sprint will no longer offer discounts on secondary lines. This means if you’re currently receiving any type of discount on your monthly bill on an account with multiple lines, you can expect your bill to receive a slight increase.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

zenintrude posted:

Any reason that my E4GT now takes 1+ seconds for the screen to turn on vs. its previous instant on?

All I've done is installed an SD card and used App 2 SD Pro to move things over. Still instant ons while plugged in.
It's the SD card. For some reason there's a delay in turning on the screen when you have a SD card installed. Supposedly someone from Sprint was trying to get some data on it from XDA when the phone first came out but I haven't heard any more about it since.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Saw this today, its relevant for people who are interested in getting around an ETF.

http://slickdeals.net/f/3839688-SPRINT-Changing-T-C-again-Feb2012-Get-out-of-Contract-ETF-free
Huh, interesting to see people have success with that being that it's not a change to the contract.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

OldPueblo posted:

I just finished reading the thread and as far as can tell it is (I am also dumb so who knows). People keep making it about the discount but it's more about this change:

The second line is no longer included in the family plan, it's now you do one line and all others are added on. A petty change to note, but still a change right?
Oh yeah, re-reading that it kinda sounds that way. Gonna have to talk to my wife because having LTE and ICS right now would be kinda sweet.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm going to be so pissed if when the Evo 3D gets ICS before the Epic Touch. I haven't heard a single word about it. Yes, I know, it's Samsung and it's what I expected.
I knew what I was getting into when I got the ET. After using my friend's 3D, I'm happy with my decision, even if I get ICS after he does. :colbert:

But seriously Samsung, hurry the gently caress up please.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Despite this, I still wouldn't trade this phone for any other current Sprint phone. The only thing I dislike about it is the default lockscreen which sometimes still shows up with lockscreen disabled (and it's really really ugly and sometimes difficult to swipe away).

Even though Samsung should release an ICS update, I'm having my doubts now that rumors are flying about an upcoming SGS3 shipping with ICS. Why upgrade a current phone when you can sell a new phone with a newer OS?
I feel the same way about mine and I'm sure they'll upgrade us to ICS. But I'm just going to go ahead and expect that we won't see the next major release.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

helsabot posted:

I'm trying to sell my EVO 3d and a guy who's interested wants me to send him the MEID to see if the phone is clear. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this? Like is that tied to other important account stuff or something
I used to think it was okay until I heard of people adding the MEID to their own account and then reporting it stolen and using insurance to get a replacement. Then you're stuck with a phone marked stolen and they have a brand new or refurb phone for $100.

Maybe someone else can confirm if I'm remembering correctly or if those turned out to be rumors.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

I could see this happening, although its tricky on both sides. I would bet if it was recently on your account you can make a case to sprint that the other dude is making a fraudulent claim.

Giving them the meid is good business, just be careful. Worst case have sprint notate your account with the meid if you are hesitant.

Mark Larson posted:

This can only happen if the device isn't on your account. Also, he won't be able to make a call with it, which is usually required for insurance claims. I generally don't expect the seller to provide the ESN before we meet, but I make it clear that I'm going to check it before buying, and I've still had one fuckhead make me come all the way out for a stolen phone.
Sounds like what I had read was bullshit then, which is good to hear!

datajosh
May 3, 2002

a63548 posted:

Where might you have you seen a stable ICS ROM for the Epic 4G Touch? There is indeed a great alpha of CM9, but that seems to be it as far as I know.
The CM9 alpha is all there is right now for the ET. There should be an update for it later this week though.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

kahm posted:

Where'd you see that? Not calling you a liar or anything, I'm just curious as to where I should be going for the latest info.
The thread for it is here and dev posting about an update this week is right here. Just realized his wording is "hoping to have something this week" though. I just hope there's a closer to fully functional release soon, I need WiFi, camera and SMS/MMS to be working.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

From what I saw the leaked ROM is in pretty hosed up shape. I swear the sbrissen CM9 port (which it pretty weak itself) is more featureful.
Yeah the leaked ROM is being worked into fairly decent shape now but it still has issues like the return of LOS and you can tell Samsung isn't done with it.

Edit: And apparently FB15 has now leaked out to one of the E4GT devs and should be posted tomorrow.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My assumption is that the CM9 port will incorporate parts of the leaked ROM to fix the broken parts.
Your assumption is correct, there's supposed to be another update shortly with nearly everything fixed:

quote:

@maddoggin
@sbrissen23 you are the man bro!! wifi, bt,camera,usb debugging this cm9 is my daily from now on!! woot woot!!
1:44 PM - 18 Feb 12

@sbrissen23
@maddoggin well cats out of the bag, new release on the way
1:44 PM - 18 Feb 12

datajosh fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 18, 2012

datajosh
May 3, 2002

The Entire Universe posted:

It looks a bit like the Galaxy S release, though with considerably more consistency than that monstrous fuckup that was perpetrated on the US by Samsung.
Well, HTC is already pulling the multiple chipset crap that Samsung has been doing.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

moolchaba posted:

Wow. The Galaxy S III looks tantalizing.

In addition to the mean specs: MicroSD slot AND removable battery? :aaaaa:

We can expect this on sprint in... what... 8 months from now? :negative:
I'm guessing sometime between June and September probably. I have the E4GT and not due for an upgrade until next year so I'm waiting to see what the next Nexus and iPhone have in store first. (And actually leaning iPhone right now despite being an Android fanboy for years.)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't think I've seen this yet unless I'm blind, but early upgrades are going away.

So when do we start making bets on the next Sprint perk to be removed or price to be increased?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Is the Galaxy S III keeping it's name on Sprint? I haven't heard anything to the contrary but it seems unusual for Sprint to not change the name of a device spread across multiple carriers.
Yeah, it is. Now that Samsung has become a major player they're using that to force everyone on the same specs, design and name.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does anybody know what kind of LED the SGS3 has? I was sorely disappointed with the red/blue LED in the SGS2 so I'm hoping this one has more color options.
RGB this time around :)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've never been so excited for a phone before. Now if Sprint would just ship those preorders already :mad:
I wish I could get one but I think I'm going to stick with my SGS2 until I'm actually upgrade eligible or our contract runs out and both dates are a year out still. :(

datajosh
May 3, 2002

theNewBlack21 posted:

That's not true. It's a pentile matrix not RGB.
If he was asking about the screen, sure, but that wasn't the question at all. :)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

-hardware look and feel (i didn't get a choice in color, so I really hope I don't get the blue one)
Did you order it through Rewards Me Plus? If so, it looks like the white one is all they're offering. Gonna be refreshing the gently caress out of that page at the end of the month to get one when they restock.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

rock2much posted:

The S3 sounds amazing, and touchwiz didn't bother me much on the S1(?) Epic 4G because I just popped on launcherpro and eventually got CM9 on it. I guess whichever will get JB the soonest and will be in use by time my contract is up again is the one I want.
The GNex should get JB first but the GS3's third party support looks pretty great already - all three unlocked models have official CM9 support and will pick up on CM10 as soon as it's ready. For comparison, the E4GT is another couple of weeks away from official CM support still and it's been out for 10 months.

I hated Samsung for a while there but I like my E4GT and I'm impressed by what they're doing with the SGS3 so far and I'm looking forward to picking one up :)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Loucks posted:

I hope they call it "Kandy Kane" just to hear the wails of android fanboys who inexplicably care.
If they did that I would end up thinking of Joy Ride every time someone mentioned it.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Jiro posted:

Seeing how this thread is pretty drat massive, I am currently running Gingerbread on a GSII Epic 4G blah blah blah. Sprint and Samsung recently sent out the OTA update for ICS. Anyone with the same phone installed the update yet, experiencing the same problems from before? lovely battery life, phone overheating, unresponsive screen etc?

Debating weather or not to roll the dice again and just root the phone and go with ICS in that way, but the last time I attempted to root my old phone, HTC EVO, it had permanently started doing really wonky things. Thoughts recommendations are very welcome, even going the way of rooting the phone which process and mod would be the most recommended.
I haven't had any of those issues with ICS on mine but I've been rooted almost since the beginning and I'm using this kernel right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

bobula posted:

So I've got an upgrade coming up in a few months. I have an Evo 4G that I'll hopefully be rid of then, if I can find the right phone. Is there something coming out soonish that has a hardware keyboard and won't be a piece of poo poo, or something without a keyboard, with around a 4" screen that won't be a piece of poo poo? I'm kind of tired of having a largish screen and just want something that fits nice, and I'm burned out on touchscreen keyboards too, unless I find one that's just right.
If you need a keyboard, the Motorola Photon Q LTE will be coming out soon.