Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Chappy posted:

I don't care if you or your mother, or your best friend has one and it sucks your loving dick every hour and wire transfers 8 billion dollars into your bank account every 10 minutes. gently caress Samsung.
I think the Samsung issue is more complicated than people give it credit for. I've heard a lot of negativity about the Epic specifically, but the better question is why were people buying it in the first place? It's a one-off Sprint-only model with the best elements of the Galaxy S series (generous internal storage, super-thin chassis) removed, and the additions of a stupid WiMax radio and a bulky-rear end, beyond-pointless-in-the-large-capacitive-touchscreen-era keyboard that Hesse and co. surely demanded in order to better "differentiate" it from the Evo.

The Instinct smelled like loving failure from a mile away, and anyone who bought that thing got what they deserved. Another Sprint/Samsung exclusive collaboration. Maybe the real problem is that Samsung can't bring themselves to say no to Sprint's retarded ideas for riffing on designs, and will build whatever catastrophic shitbox they ask for as long as the burlap bags of cash keep flowing in (see also: Samsung Upstage, truly a shameful phone).

The sliding-keyboard dumbphones you mentioned also suck, but I mean really, poo poo like that is pretty much advertised as garbage. Those phones strike me as honeypots being spat out as cheaply as possible just to see if they can dupe dummies into a signing horridly-overpriced Sprint contract. Back in the flip phone era, I recall people looking upon Samsung's "luxury flip phones" like the A900m and the M610 quite fondly, with many considering the M610 to be the finest flip phone Sprint's ever carried.

You surely see the worst of the defects as a Sprint employee. I'd sure as poo poo never carry an Epic personally for about a million reasons, but I don't think it's fair to shun Samsung wholesale. Admittedly, I'd also never push a non-technical friend or loved one toward a Samsung device over an HTC (Nexus S notwithstanding) because you're right, the software is basically a guaranteed catastrophe. But shout me an internet holler when HTC bothers to start including 16/32 gigs of internal storage and decent DACs that don't hiss like a loving snake with sensitive IEMs in their smartphones.

The Vibrant and Captivate are simply much better as audio players than any of HTC's current stuff, and thanks to the Herculean efforts of the bros over at xda they've both got super serviceable clean Froyo ROMs (with a manufacturer base) and a mostly-working CM7 port. It's pretty ridiculous that you have to deal with a GPSfix, a lagfix, an audio fix, and probably three hundred other fixes I don't know about, but once that stuff's taken care of the phones are pretty pro. I'm a lot happier with my hacked Vibrant than I was with an Evo running CyanogenMod. Samsung's shitware can be removed; you can't (easily) retrofit a beefy husk of flash memory or a new audio chip into an Evo. And call me a rare snowflake, but my launch-day Vibrant that's changed hands through three owners charges just fine. :v:

The real reason to skip the Nexus S? WiMax. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Jensen posted:

The funny thing about the Samsung GPS issue is that you always get all these people, in this thread and others on the internet, claiming that their GPS is fine and everyone else must just have a defective unit.

I think part of the problem is that it does work at points, but it's always flaky as poo poo taken as a whole. That and I think some people just have really low expectations of how a phone GPS should work.
Just to add to what nimper said, I think the real difference between people who do have GPS problems vs. people who don't is that the latter group installed custom software from XDA that fixed it whereas the former group seems to think using a Samsung device with the stock software loaded makes any kind of sense whatsoever. My Vibrant's GPS was pretty inaccurate on the stock ROM, but it functions just fine after I loaded a Team Whiskey ROM (that claimed to have "GPS fixes" incorporated).

They're simply not devices for people who don't want to gently caress with them, because yeah, Sasmung's software development efforts are criminally bad. Don't buy a Galaxy S for your mom.

Given the small subset of people who are interested in hacking their phones, it does make you wonder how Samsung's poo poo stays so popular, though. They don't exactly include detailed instructions in the box for logging onto XDA and fixing all the bullshit wrong with their phones.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

td4guy posted:

Samsung products just keep getting better and better.
Sounds pretty obviously like Sprint's malware to me, Samsung's just the executioner (in this instance).

Not that the latter party is "innocent" by any stretch; there's blood on everyone's hands.