Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Totally TWISTED posted:

Is the 4G map on sprint.com accurate at all? Because assuming it is accurate means my phone's 4G antenna is a POS.

Not even slightly, take its coverage area as showing places where you might get 4g service sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
We moved a while back and have been getting 0-2 bars, vanishing text messages and calls going to voicemail.

I called sprint retentions today, they picked up before it even rang which was a bit weird, the guy immediately offered to send out an airvana for $0.

Thanks, thread!

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I wonder if they will do this for your job location. My 3G coverage at work is just awful.

Tell them it's for your house, as long as you can get it online somehow I can't see a problem.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The sprint move is amazing. If they can hang on until their LTE network is good to go I think they'll do very well as the cheapest iphone provider with a solid network.

If not, what will happen? Verizon could buy them easily but I'm not sure that would fly with regulators.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Appachai posted:

You realize that's like 2 years away at least right?

Yes, I was not thinking next week.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

Does this mean that Sprint's 4G will be the same as Verizon's 4G? So it won't lose the connection when you go inside? That's what LTE as opposed to WiMax is, yes?

That is more of a frequency problem. I am glad I bought sprint stock a couple of days ago.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

supersteve posted:

Whoops.

Hah, wondered if anyone would pick up on that. I'm still up by a bit (like, a few cents), it was at similar levels on iphone launch day. The real test will be over the next few years...

sanchez fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 8, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

Certainly won't be as seemless as Gmaps lookup --> Nav.

I do this every single day. Our corporate CMS puts addresses automatically into my exchange calendar, I can jump in the car having no idea where I'm going and a few taps and no typing later have navigation up. Now that the notifications are fixed it's the biggest thing keeping me away from iphone.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Is there a particular brand of phones that has better call quality than others? My previous HTC Diamond and my current Evo are both awful. A few times I've used AT&T BB and iphone devices and they've been much better. Is it the carrier or the phone?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Anyone who supports ios in the enterprise probably has mixed feelings about it too, there are a few bugs in activesync that have been around for a while that Apple should really fix (items getting stuck in outbox that cannot be cleared, the fix is to put the phone in airplane mode, send another email and then turn airplane mode off. When it reconnects both messages will send)

Before IOS5 I think Android was actually a better platform (notifications!), they seem to be roughly at parity now though.

Both app stores have turned into a non-functional zoo. Both have good web browsers and any decent application will be available on both. I could use either and not really care.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 22, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
A pair of decent evo batteries is $20 on amazon, just buy one there.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-1700mAh...d=1HKESGQNKWA4J

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

ChadSexington posted:

For the DC area Sprint users, how do you like your service?

It's Ok. 3g is fast enough for pandora etc while driving but can be very sluggish when right downtown. Voice is always ok. 4g is sometimes fantastic but usually does not work (just like everywhere else?)

I've had it here for 4 years and never been irritated enough to switch to Verizon.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Fresh has been great for me on the EVO 4G and EVO 3D.

I also like it a lot, Cynanogen is extremely buggy on my 4G. (broken GPS, mostly broken bluetooth, poor battery life)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The nexus looks fantastic but it's so large, my Evo 4G is big enough, another 1.5cm of length isn't ideal.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

spidoman posted:

4g.

Hah, no you won't.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Googles flexibility vs Apple on things like that (and everything else), is why it such high marketshare.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
If you're in DC, you should seriously just buy a Nexus S. DC is one of the best WiMax cities I've been to, so please stop torturing yourself with the Moment.

If DC is the best Wimax city then the others must be truly horrible, I still never bother using it here unless I'm tethering in one place. 3G has deteriorated rapidly over the last year too.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Jensen posted:

That is because they are mostly ignorant probably - and goes to show how cheap most people are.

You are saving 10-15% on the service and getting maybe 50% of the network performance.

I wouldn't be on Sprint except for the fact that I get a 25% discount - which is a substantial chunk of change.

I did the numbers on this vs straight talk for my situation (2 lines, smartphones, currently on EPRP)

Sprint $145/mo = $3480 over 2 years plus $400 for phones = $3880
Straight talk $90/mo = $2160 over 2 years plus $800 for phones = $2960

That's a huge savings and a dramatically better network along with being able to take my phone on vacation and use local sim cards.

I'd probably stick around if the speed was better, Sprint has treated me well and the EVO LTE looks great, but data speeds are so bad now my phone only works 100% of the time for email. Even something like checking traffic on google maps to determine which route to take sometimes takes so long (minutes) I end up in an unnecessary traffic jam.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I think you can do it online through your account portal.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well then the Android OS thread has lied to me so many times.

I think people get mixed up and start thinking about the old nimh batteries which had memory effect etc. Lithium batteries seem to be aged by actual time and complete charge cycles (2 half charges or one full makes no difference)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I sold my Evo on ebay running cynanogen and the recipient is claiming sprint won't activate it. Activating ebay phones I've bought involved calling sprint, giving them the ESN and that was it. What could be the problem here? If he's going to a store for some reason will they notice sense is missing and become unhelpful?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Giblet posted:

You should ask him for more info. Do they say the esn cannot be attached to an account, or will it not provision once attached to the account.

Communication has not been clear "Sprint cannot connect my number to the phone cause of some program that's. Installed in there" and "But they. Said it was modded " is all I have. I've suggested he call instead of going to a store and give them the ESN/MEID, hopefully that works. I should have just returned the phone for a bill credit.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Why bother upgrading then?

The Optimus S is pretty much unusable these days due to lack of internal storage, even email can be a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Oh Sprint. I haven't had an active number with them for a couple of years now. A week or so ago I got a random robocall from them saying something about a refund being processed and ignored it assuming it was some kind of scam. Today I get a check in the mail from them for $300, my web portal access is still working with them and the current bill shows a weird series of refunds and transfers over the last month or so. Sprint customer support thinks somebody on their side credited my account by mistake, tried to fix it, and everything fell apart. Presumably one of their current customers is $300 in the hole.