Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So I'm torn right now. I'm currently using my almost 2 yr old Palm Pre that randomly shuts down on me and the battery just barely gets through the day. I want to switch to Android but I'm torn on what to get. I like the Nexus S as I'd get the updates from Google as opposed to Sprint/Manufacturer, but I also like the look of the Evo 3d. Is there really going to be a need for a dual core phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sure but I don't do software builds, video encodes, or large number crunching on my phone. Outside of those applications there's nothing I do on my computer that requires dual core, and there's few things that see significant responsiveness improvement from it.

There was a fairly critical need for phones to get better/faster computationally up until the most recent generation, as previous devices simply weren't sufficient to do mobile web browsing as adequate as we would like them. At this point, Opera on my Epic runs well enough that at least 90% of sites I visit render timely and I have no browsing issues with them. I don't imagine the type of sites I'd want to visit on my phone are going to get significantly more complicated over the next two years, given they haven't over the past five or six. Multitasking maybe, but again, I don't really see my multitasking habits changing too dramatically.

As always, mobile gaming will probably be the first big push of mobile multicore. So the real question is, how much do you game?
Right now I have a Palm Pre, so not very much, plus my battery life is bad enough without doing any gaming. My basic concern with Android is that Google comes out with a new, improved, version of the OS and unless I have a Nexus phone I have no idea when I'm going to get the updates. I like the look of the Epic but am scared that its not going to get any new updates. I'd rather not have to root it and install a customer rom that may or may not work very well. I didn't like changing roms on my old Windows Mobile Phone.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Jensen posted:

I don't mean to come off as argumentative, and this is probably do to my technical background/lifestyle, but I find these sorts of comments ridiculous.

My phone is NO WHERE near the speed of my desktop computer at anything. Every single type of computing I do on it is a massive compromise because of the tiny power-sipping processor.

Why the hell wouldn't I want millisecond page rendered multi-tabbed browsing? Full HDMI out that let the phone become my personal computer? Multi core processing to be able to handle higher def videos in both decode and encode and to support higher megapixel cameras?

Until my phone is as fluid, responsive, fast, and as capable as the most powerful computers I currently use, I'll always want more horsepower. And I bet when they do finally catch up, there will be new computing paradigms that I take advantage of that will even require MORE power.

"Good enough" is a backwards looking position in my eyes.

That being said there is a huge draw to a stock nexus device as well. You definitely have to weigh the pros and cons of software vs hardware.

I think the biggest con for me with Android is the same con I had with windows mobile, you always want to cut out the crapware they load it up with. I've been more than happy with my pre for almost 2 years, but have been angry that they've abandoned the current model and Google doesn't seem to be doing that with the Nexus phones. I think I'm looking to get the Nexus as its the best chance I have of getting all of the updates.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

jaku78 posted:

I'm a little confused. I got a family everything data and 2 smart phones on this plan with no 4g, what happens if one of the family plan users with a smart phone already buys a new smartphone like a evo and grabs 4g with it. Am I going to have to pay that $60 4g data plan individually added on to what I'm paying now?

You will pay a $10 "premium data fee" for any new smartphone.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I'm wishing they would announce when the Nexus S and EVO 3d are coming out. I really want a new phone and hate waiting.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

TLG James posted:

Nexus S should be out April 18th if the rumors are right.

If they're right then I will more than likely be ditching my Palm Pre. I don't know I can wait till some time in June/July for a new phone.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

sonicice posted:

I am about ready to throw my Touch Pro at a wall. The screen is acting up, the camera doesn't work and now it's apparently calling my boss at random.

Well my Pre sometimes lets me answer calls and sometimes it doesn't. That and at work today I didn't play with my phone but it lost 40% battery and we have a Sprint tower I can see from my window at work.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

jaku78 posted:

Am I the only one having trouble imagining what the EVO 3D can do over the Nexus S in terms of power? Besides burning the battery without a clocking program (which, the EVO3D might unfortunately have no access to depending on root). I mean I've seen a samsung epic run even PSX games pretty stable. I don't see the point in having that much power unless you want to just impress somebody.

EDIT: That is true. Haha, but I doubt from my experiences with PS2 emulators that even the 3D couldn't run a pretty big library of games stably for PS2.

My concern with any phone is will it get the latest update. I was told by Palm that I would get 2.0 and now my Pre won't be getting it. I think that is one of the bigger draws to a Nexus phone, better chance of getting the updates.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Mahoning posted:

The Nexus S features prominently in the new store signage that goes up tomorrow. This leads me to believe that it is coming out sometime next week, as the Echo is also featured prominently.

I'm hoping it comes out this week. I'm done with my palm pre. I can't even get through a day of no use.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Well I'm one step closer to google controlling everything. I got invited to the Google Voice integration. Now I just need to get an Android phone. I really want the Nexus S but after waiting and waiting I'm half tempted to wait for the EVO 3D

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

mars posted:

quick question about the google voice + sprint integration. Is this something you have to do? I see lots of people like this, but I actually really like the setup I have now with two separate numbers.

You don't have to do it, but you can either use your Google Voice number with Sprint, or your Sprint Number with Google Voice.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

Entered my email for Voice on Monday and got invited today. They certainly aren't letting people in early based on how much they've used it since I've done 3 text messages and 3 phones calls since I signed up for it years ago.

Biggest thing I don't like about it is having to enter my contacts for Voice, even though I already have them on my phone.

Do you have your contacts on gmail? I didn't have to re-enter any of mine.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I know GV doesn't do MMS, so how does that impact Sprint's GV integration?

My understanding is MMS go to the normal app and not the Google Voice app.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Best Buy's site has a date of May 8 for the Nexus S 4G.

I just got the e-mail saying May 8.
I also saw this thread stating that Sprint is reducing 3G coverage.
http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/281992#281992

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

I've said it before, Sprint is sitting on gold at 2.5GHz simply because it has smaller coverage per watt. If no one paid close attention to that article, they have over 100MHz of spectrum in major cities JUST FOR 4G. I think either AT&T or Verizon has only 60MHz. That doesn't even touch the 850MHz iDEN spectrum they can use in parallel with the 2.5 coverage or to cover rural areas.

If they can hold out, they'll be a loving force. Step 1 was positive net additions. Step 2 is being the low cost alternative. If your network is solid and data is cheap, businesses will follow and then you're set.

Yes, they have to play things just right so it may be a bust but I'm pulling for the little guy. Of course the alternative is VZW and AT&T buying out everyone, getting all of the spectrum and still pretending there's not enough and capping the gently caress out of it while raising prices.

The problem is that this is great for cities but not all of us live in cities. I currently live in the "country" and I'm roaming in my house even though at the beginning of the year I wasn't. 2.5Ghz is great in cities but it sucks in the "country." Also Sprint doesn't have the sheer number of towers that Verizon or AT&T does. Spectrum is great, but if you don't have towers they're going to cost more to put up than the people who already have the towers.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Because the iPhone is ridiculously expensive? In all seriousness, Sprint is not just killing a bunch of user end features, but commissions to reps have already gotten cut too. The claims are that instant rebates for any phones that are $199 or higher are really expensive, and honestly to a point I do believe them. The list price for the current crop of Android phones is $550, so for a $199 sales price that is a $350 subsidization by Sprint (and more if you count the current port credit). Considering that Sprint charges less than AT&T/Verizon and has to pay more fees to said two carriers, it is a big margin to make up for within the 2 years. And that is not even factoring in Apple charges even loving more for their retarded phone than Android makers do.

Sprint's problem is still the same: most people are on its CDMA network, and because backhaul at some point goes through AT&T/Verizon, its more expensive for Sprint to provide cell service than it is for frickin AT&T. That was the big goal of Clearwire WiMax 4G that failed, to get away from that (Clearwire 4G goes through microwave I believe, so it bypasses the backhaul of most towers).

I'll be the first to bitch about Sprint speeds, but with TMobile up in the air (either bought out or out of business in some aspect), the question also comes down to "what choices do you have now?" So far in terms of customer service, value, etc, Sprint is offering a decent value vs AT&T and Verizon. Honestly, Sprint never has claimed to be the cheap carrier, and judging them that way is a mistake. Its supposed to be a one stop shop to get what you want at one good rate.

And to add to that, once TMobile eventually goes away (and it likely will, sadly enough), for those who have poor credit, need savings, or just don't want Verizon/AT&T, what choice do you have otherwise? If you think Sprint Internet currently is slow, spend a day with a Cricket phone: its absolutely awful coverage and reception wise.

The problem that Sprint has is exactly that they don't own a backhaul network anymore and their IP network keeps getting worse and worse. While everyone thinks that it is cheap for Verizon and AT&T, but they too also lease some of the backhaul, they just get to lease less of it. I work for a company who's wireline customers are all of the major wireless providers. The other problem that Sprint has is that they relied on roaming agreements for much of their network and now they have to look into expanding their own coverage as LTE doesn't roam easily. The expansion is going to cost them and they're having to pass that cost onto the customers. Like I said Sprint doesn't have the wireleline business that AT&T and Verizon do that they also get to make money on.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Eh, I really don’t think having Dish network, who has talked about building a network for 10 years without doubt so, replace Sprint is really the best answer for consumers and competition.

I actually know people who are actively working on the Dish mobile network so they’re at least pretending better than when they weren’t even doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Unless they’re accountants it’s probably for naught. Still far more likely Dish just pays the fine vs. the outlay for a somewhat viable network.

They're actual Telecommunications engineer folks. I was recruited but I heard bad things about working for Dish from people in the past so I passed.