Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

ExcessBLarg! posted:

A hardware keyboard is still vastly superior to on-screen for ConnectBot/ssh, but on-screen is perfectly fine if not preferable for everything else (in my opinion). Since an ultra-portable ssh-capable device is pretty high on my priority list, I still seek out hardware keyboards. Although I suppose if the day comes where every phone that has a hardware keyboard is guaranteed to suck, I'll have to reevaluate that.

In any event, the keyboard on the Epic is actually pretty good. I prefer it to the G2's keyboard, although the Shift's inclusion of a d-pad (or whatever) makes up for most I dislike about the G2. The problem with the Epic's keyboard is that Samsung completely hosed up the driver for it, in ways that only Samsung can. Which is rather amazing, given that embedded hardware keyboards pretty much all use the same design, and there's plenty of well written embedded keyboard drivers in Linux. So they had to try fairly hard to gently caress it up.

The real answer to your question is that I bought an Epic before the Shift was announced. With Sprint carrying a well-received non-Samsung hardware keyboard alternative, the Epic is probably an unwise choice to make today.

So the Epic definitely had widespread GPS issues in DI18. The official Froyo releases EB13 seems to have solved the GPS woes for most Epic owners. At least, getting locks is fairly reliable and quick.

You're not alone though in having GPS issues, there is a minority of folks who report this. I don't know if it's a hardware issue that only affects a minority of units, or if there is (or was) a software bug that could effectively poison it.

Did you ever install the DK28 Froyo leak? I'm suspicious that had something to do with it.

Edit: Ugh, it looks like EC05 might have broken GPS again. I had assumed that since it seemed to be "really fixed" in EB13 it would stay that way. Of course, this is Samsung.

I'd start with SyndicateROM Frozen with the Twilight Zone Kernel. It's probably the most comprehensive in terms of bug fixes and community enhancements and developed by folks who seem to have a clue. Although I just run a slightly-modified stock ROM myself.

This guy knows what he's talking about. I also use ssh a bunch on my phone, and the hardware keyboard is vastly superior for that, especially for tab completion and symbol access.

My wife and I both have Epics, and we both love them. Neither of us has had issues with the GPS, it seems very fast to me, getting locks in about 3 seconds, and we've done stock ROMs and custom ROMs. Now we are both on SyndicateROM, and that ROM basically seems perfect.

I really don't get what all the hate is about, I can see the argument that Samsung is slow to release updates, but this is what custom ROMs are for... it's not like I want an official ROM anyway, with all the crap they bundle with it.

I find it funny how the EVO is considered the best phone, but I find the thing way too large and sharp-cornered to keep in the pocket, and it's even too big to hold (full disclosure, I'm 5'7" and wife is 5'4").

Eyecannon fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Help! My wife spilled tea with honey on her Epic, and now it works, but the keyboard has certain letters that if you type them, three letters come out. The water damage indicators both triggered, so that sucks, and we do have TEP. What is the best way to deal with this? Take it to the store, and they replace keyboard? Do I need to flash to stock and/or unroot? Or because the water sensors triggered I have to pay $100?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Duckman2008 posted:

Water damage is $100 deductable no leeway. Just go to phoneclaim.com/sprint and you can file, as long as it's before like, 8pm central you will get the phone the next day. You can bill the $100 to your account. And they don't care about it being rooted and having a custom ROM.

Awesome, thanks! Just curious, is that an official or unofficial policy about about the ROM thing?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Can someone please tell me the best strategy for using my Epic in Mexico? I basically want it to ONLY do wifi, if I turn off '4G' and '3G Data' then I should be good? Though I will probably still be able to get texts (which cost something fairly outrageous).

Maybe I should disable auto roaming and make it Sprint only as well?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

SneakyCracker posted:

I believe you can put the phone into airplane mode, and then just manually turn on wifi. My understanding is that this will allow the phone to leave the CDMA radio off but still operate on Wifi.

Fake Edit: Yup, just tried it on my Epic. Putting the phone into airplane mode disables everything, but then manually turning on wifi will leave the airplane mode icon in place, but give the wifi connection only.

Edit 2: Texting does not work in this mode, though.

Cool, thanks! I don't want texts working, if it's important the person can email.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

UFO posted:

How do I upgrade from sero premium to sero premium 4g?

Activate a 4G phone.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Why would anyone use the stock browser when Dolphin Mini is free and sooooo much better?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Enjoying the latest leaked Gingerbread ROM on my Epic :cool: Netflix streaming really is awesome.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Every time I turn my Epic's screen off, I'm amazed by gingerbread crt animation yet again. I'm equally amazed at how quickly Samsung and Sprint are working on getting gingerbread out the door. Definitely a 180 from the Froyo fiasco.

Holy poo poo, I read about that but hadn't tried it... that is :coolfish:

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

The Entire Universe posted:

Is it really as complete and feature-ready as they're saying on XDA?

I'm using Simply AOSP (a froyo rom of course) on my Epic right now but the Gingerbread rom is really, really tempting even if it is clunky old RFS and Touchwhiz.

I would call it "nearly perfect"... I am having one slight issue with my Gmail staying in perfect sync... still looking for a solution to that.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Eyecannon posted:

I would call it "nearly perfect"... I am having one slight issue with my Gmail staying in perfect sync... still looking for a solution to that.

Fixed this problem with a Titanium Backup data delete... worked perfect afterwards.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Battery life on the Epic Gingerbread ROM is ridiculous... 7 hours off charger and I'm at 85%.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sitting at home on WiFi or out doing stuff and using the phone? I'd love to get that kind of battery life in everyday situations, but I doubt I ever will.

Fairly light usage, but compare this to my same phone on various Froyo ROMs and I would be at 50% by the evening... my phone now is at 80%. I have Wifi at home and work, so it was only on 4G during my 15 minute bike ride each way.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

rock2much posted:

Are you using CM7 alpha?

No, Midnight ROM v6. CM7 looks like it sucks for the Epic, no GPS, camera, 4G...

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

a shameful boehner posted:

Anyone have any experiences with the speed at which they received their online phone order?

They overnight, so if you order before 3 or 4 pm you get it the next day.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

CharlesM posted:

I thought maybe you were but tone is difficult to tell over the internet sometimes.

Seriously, just get a free Optimus or Epic and you will be blown away. I went from a Touch Pro to an Epic and OMG there's a world of difference.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

900ftjesus posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^The screen is better than the Evo 4G

This for sure, it looks too smooth somehow. This is looking at a TV at someone's house, not display models.

It is more of a problem with the 120Hz default settings... on my Samsung TV, the defaults look terrible, but if I slightly reduce the 120Hz-ness, it looks way better than 60Hz.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Every time my phones have gone wonky, I just call up Sprint and tell them to give me an advanced exchange. They send you a refurb overnight, which you normally get the next day, and then you just put your old phone in the return envelope they provide. You don't have to deal with morons at the store, in fact, you don't ever have to leave your house. And I've never been charged for it, no matter how long I've had the phone.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Yo, so I'm in Spain right now with my Epic, and even though there is no CDMA here, I thought that my GPS should still work... I get no satellites in GPS status though. Is there some trick to get it to work with no network?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Actually, I finally got it working... two things were needed:

1) airplane mode OFF (can turn back on after GPS lock)
2) wifi location OFF (ironically)

After that, 9 satellite lock :coolfish:

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Hmmm that network.sprint.com site is missing a little city called Los Angeles.

In the pulldown, at least.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Unfortunately the GPS is still hosed up, far worse actually than Froyo. It only locks on 1-2 satellites at a time and frequently crashes after 15 minutes of use or so.

This is inexcusable too since the problem is that they shipped a very old version of the GB GPS daemon (it's been the same since the early-May leak), whereas the Mesmerize and Sprint Tab GB updates that hit a few months ago both include a much never version that works really darn well. Good news is that if you're rooted and want a working GPS, this fix (the daemon pulled from the Mesmerize) works really well.

They also didn't fix the hardware keyboard driver they hosed up in the Froyo release despite community fixes being around forever. But if you haven't had a problem with the hardware keyboard so far, it's no worse in GB.

I'm on a EI22 custom ROM and my GPS has never been better... I would recommend flashing a custom ROM with the GPS fix.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
I have an Epic 4G and 280 days left till upgrade... what can I do?

Although to be fair, I do in general like my phone with custom ROM's... I just want something with maybe a bigger screen and more memory.

Eyecannon fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 11, 2011

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Octavian posted:

A quick question for anyone who's dealt with Asurion - I broke the screen on my second Evo 3D, and I've got the replacement from them. I was a bit surprised when they sent me a whole new phone, accessories included. What do I stuff in the return envelope? Just the phone, or the SD card and battery too? What about the charger?

Always just the phone... keep the battery, SD card, and charger.

Oxford comma, bitches.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Upgrade time October 1st! Finally can get rid of these Epic 4G's. Is there anything random I should know about SERO Premium upgrades? My wife wants a iPhone, will she be able to get a 5? Does sprint have any android phones with physical keyboards? I have no idea what I am going to get!

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Can anyone recommend a good case for the SG3? Something that doesn't add a lot of bulk would be awesome.

vvv thanks!

Eyecannon fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 8, 2012

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Sooo my wife and I are splitting up... can I move her SERO Premium account off my account and onto her own? How do I do that?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete

Duckman2008 posted:

You can, although she isn't guaranteed to keep SERO. Call employee care, at the least she can get EPRP and they will move it.

So she would have to pay $30 more per month?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Yesss..... bumped up my upgrade 2 weeks early... SG3 --> SG5

I called the SERO sales number, the first guy denied me, I asked him to ask his manager, who agreed and transferred me to EPRP help. That guy bumped my upgrade, then I could order the phone online and pick up same day in store!

SERO 4 LYFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
I was charged $314 for the phone, activation, and tax, but there is a $50 MIR. So $264 total.