Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I ordered a cheap $7 TPU case from ebay to hold me over for now.

I ordered one of these on Amazon so I can get it here ASAP. Given my recent spate of bad luck (after almost a year of case-free living with the Evo) I don't want to chance it :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

More accurately, it's a bug that was introduced with the first OTA update, and resolved with the third / most recent OTA update that went live today. Install the latest update and reboot your phone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

The original Evo is actually racing neck and neck, most people want to save $100. Now I know why the 3GS still sells.

To be fair, it's not like the Evo is suddenly a poo poo phone. I am without a doubt loving the E3D, but even with the upgrade I would've kept my Evo for quite a bit longer, possibly all the way until my wife's Evo is up for replacement.

Re the piece-of-poo poo Pre, just go in with her and ask about replacing it with something not-a-Pre? I think anything Android would be a big step up for her.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

visuvius posted:

For those of you that switched over from the 4G, overall how significant of an improvement or difference would you say it is? I gotta say, I don't think I'm a fan of the different form factor, I kind of like the wider display on the 4G.

It's there, but if I hadn't broken my 4G, I would probably still be using it. The 3D is an excellent phone but the 4G really isn't that much behind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

change my name posted:

Are there any other phones that use the 3d's big square battery or is it proprietary? Also I read a review that said using 3d features seemed to drain the battery at about a percent a minute, does that sound right?

Well, all phone batteries are proprietary in that an HTC battery won't work in a Motorola phone, etc. That said, I do think the E3D's battery is currently unique to it, but the Evo used the same battery as the TP2 and a few other HTC devices...I'd be surprised if the E3D battery doesn't become one of their new standard batteries.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Steve Moore posted:

Good luck with that.

Unless the market has absolutely tanked since the E3D, I got $300 on CL for my Evo in just a few days just prior to the E3D release.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krittick posted:

I noticed on my account page it says I have used 1.3MB of Data Roaming, out of Unlimited. Does this actually mean that I won't be charged for using Data on Domestic Roaming? That's pretty loving awesome if so. (Everything 450 Plan)

Correct. The only time it becomes an issue is if you have excessive roaming data use over a long time, because then you cost more to Sprint than you pay them. I forget what qualifies as such but I believe it's pretty damned generous.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I would be all over this phone. It is a must buy for anyone who didn't pick a EVO last year.

It's also a pretty solid buy for anyone who has an upgrade available and an Evo they can flip for at least $150-$200 and doesn't mind going to a phone that currently lacks root.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The 4G is still a very solid phone today, but I expect it to be showing its age pretty well in two years (or less) when dual core phones like the 3D are common.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Spazghost posted:

Has anyone disassembled an HTC EVO 4G before and might be able to tell me what they use to determine whether or not the phone has been disassembled for warranty purposes.

I dropped my EVO and cracked the digitizer and I am considering replacing it myself rather than paying Sprint 100$ to do an insurance claim.

If your phone were to be lost after a failed screen replacement, that'd just be terrible...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

change my name posted:

So I left for work this morning with my 3D's battery at 95%, and realized at 12 that it was really hot and the battery was dead. Had to pull it and restart the phone, and the display showed that it was at 20% left, even though I wasn't running any apps or anything. Anyone have an idea of what happened?

One of two or possibly both:

*You had poo poo cell reception and it kept trying to connect to the towers, running the radio (and battery) really hard in the process.
*Some process ran away and didn't get killed normally, raping the CPU (and battery).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wouldn't sweat long-term updates on the Evo; after all, it does have a CM7 port. It may not ever get an official ICS upgrade but I'm sure the CM guys will make it happen if it can work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you didn't use your upgrade then, your upgrade is still based on 22 months the last time you used it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

It is a bit odd when it sits on my desk at work and all of the sudden it starts telling racist jokes, but otherwise it mostly blends in at the workplace.

Seriously, though, how is a phone unprofessional unless it's lime green or covered in stickers?

Mine already came in handy at work during a discussion with a client, who mentioned the E3D before I had taken mine out of my pocket. Turned into a nice "Well, now that you mention it... " moment, and lead to a discussion on the finer points of rooting and CM7.

Professional? Or just pro?

To the guy above, $10 fees will apply to any non Samsung Replenish smartphone on any EPRP line. Even with that it is still a hell of a deal.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sl0wturtle posted:

I dont carry keys since I dont have a house or car or carry change really.

You live in a cardboard box with your Nexus?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Q_res posted:

I like Sense 3.0, but that actually seems reasonable. Why wouldn't you rate the phone on both the hardware and the software experience?

Because to an extent, Sense vs Blur vs AOSP is heavily subjective, so long as there aren't any major loving issues...and a lot of the Sense can be removed without even rooting if you so please.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

traveling midget posted:

Just got a notification to download Evo 3D OTA Upgrade 2.08.651.2 (45.67MB).

Is this S-OFF? Here goes...

EDIT: Nope.

There was never going to be an OTA that does S-OFF. The official process is going to be submitting your serial # to HTC so they can void the warranty on it before you get a code that lets you run their unlocker.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only phones you can put on $30 SERO, no matter how you buy them, are dumbphones and maaaaybe the TP2. Non-4G smartphones require the $40 SERO-P, and 4G phones require that plus the :10bux: 4G fee.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Samsung Reclaim might work on $30 SERO, since it's a smartphone-but-not. I'm not certain of that. While it does run Android, it's rather low powered. Perhaps strictly better than a Touch Pro, but might leave you with phone envy yet.

Also, the recently-rumored Sprint iPhone, assuming it doesn't come with WiMAX, should be compatible with $40/mo SERO based on the current pricing. I'd be surprised if it's actually allowed, but something to consider.

The Reclaim does require $40 SERO; the confusion came because the $10 smartphone fee (which non-SERO users pay on all smartphones now, regardless of 3G or 4G) was waived for it. Said $10 fee is not the same $10 fee that you get charged to upgrade from SERO to SERO-P.

I would be utterly shocked if they let the iPhone onto $40 SERO-P. I think the 4G fee is ultimately called "premium data" and it's charged on whatever phone Sprint wants to charge it on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Tidbits, but the Reclaim is a lovely slider texting phone, the Replenish is likely the phone you are talking about. Blame sprint for being obnoxious with the drat names.

And the Touch Pro is barely a smartphone :)

LG seems to have two phones coming out, an optimus 2 and some 4" screen higher end phone. Both android of course.

Oh gently caress you're right, durrr. SAMSUNG! :argh:

Ballpark on timeline for the Optimus 2? Any idea of if it's going to be another 3G phone like the Optimus S? My dad and stepmom are finally reaching the point where they might actually consider spending $40/mo for a pair of Optimuses (Optimi?) instead of a TP2 and a Centro.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

Yeah, but I just want to take stupid 3D pictures, sounds like fun and if it boots and loads a little faster, all the better. I might wait a few months until my upgrade kicks in however. Seems like there is no rush to jump to it.

Having owned both, definitely not worth an out-of-contract upgrade. Once you're eligible, it's arguably worth it for the gorgeous high-res screen, larger stock battery (with significantly better actual battery life), and dual cores.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm going to go ahead and use the CM7 alpha as a daily. It may have bugs but HOLY poo poo SO FAST.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Yeah I'm just thinking why pay the extra $10/mo for a service you're not using.

Because Sprint won't sell you any phone that's otherwise equivalent without that fee.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sprint pays VZW/others an assload for mobile roaming data. Regardless of the upper limit on your plan (4GB for a modem or unlimited for the phone itself), if you use 300MB/mo or more of that while roaming, Sprint will want you gone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's no good way to do that on Sprint that I'm aware of - you would need them on two totally separate plans.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So what's the current status on mail-in rebates for phones and trading lines? My sister-in-law and mother-in-law both have upgrades available and I'm half tempted to burn one to get my wife's line on an Evo 3D. EPRP so Best Buy is out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Evo 3D has an instant rebate though, so i wouldn't worry about it :)

Turns out my sister in law, upon hearing the E3D is only $50, wants to use her upgrade on it. I set it up to reserve it for her in store on Saturday since it's the soonest she can pick it up, and she lives ~350 miles away so I don't want to have it shipped to me if I can avoid it. However, since the promo technically ends on the 7th, will there be any issue with honoring the $50 price?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I wasn't in store yesterday, but from the emails I've read you either get it within the timeframe or you miss it. And honestly that tends to be sprints policy, stores won't match it after the fact because they would eat the difference.

Props for doing a reserve in store and supporting your local (hopefully good) store. I know stores in my area are pretty pissed at the suddenness, I actually heard about it on here before sprint told us. Not only that, but it hasn't been long since black Friday and we mostly sold out of the 3D company wide, so we have a great promo with no phones in store to sell (and we can't get a price match if we direct ship). drat irritating.

Well, with that in mind and her timing (plus the fact that I wanted to pay for it for her, and you can't just bill to account anymore)...combined with a braindead Sprint chat rep that couldn't say anything that wasn't "The store representative will be able to answer this", I just went ahead and cancelled it. Turns out you can indeed specify a different ship-to address, so the phone will go right to her rather than having to bounce through my hands first.

Hell of a deal, though. She'll be able to sell her Evo 4G for more than I paid for her 3D.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So I'm encountering mass instances where Google Voice doesn't properly send my texts for ages at a time. Is this a ROM issue? Is there any way I can just use GV for the call integration and completely strip it from my texts?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

Unlimited data is pretty useless when it comes at you slower than a dial-up modem.

Indeed. With the reception I get and as much as I stick on wifi...I hate to say it but I actually would never even come close to going over 2GB on any other carrier.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do you have any old Sprint phone that you can activate temporarily?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Your extrapolation is dead on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krittick posted:

So I keep it plugged in all day at my desk and keep hoping for Network Vision to get here. I doubt it will before my contract is up though, so I'm strongly considering dealing with Verizon's data caps and switching. No point in having unlimited data when your speeds are slower than dialup.

I'm in the same boat at this point, except I have four lines on a family plan to deal with and two are on Evo 3ds, so I'm stuck at least another eighteen months or so.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The pain with prepaid gift cards is that when you try to buy something worth more than the card has on it, the transaction gets declined. It's not like a store gift card where it says "you asked for $50 but I only have $20 so get the rest", it just says "Welp, don't have $50 so you get declined."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Mark Larson posted:

The store should be able to ring you up if you tell them to put $50 on one card and the rest on another. In Target its even an option while paying that you annoyingly have to dismiss everytime. No, Target, I don't want to put this pack of gum on two different cards!

Yeah that's what you'd need to do. Strangely I don't get that prompt at any Target I go to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

You know, I always see these kind of "rooting is easy and quick" comments and yeah I guess it would be hard to see how rooting/flashing an android device might be tedious and time consuming with all the scripts out there to help people with it, but I guess the devil is in the details.

Rooting the drat thing isn't hard, and migrating from one ROM to another is even easier once you've rooted it. Time consuming, yes, since most of these steps involve a lot of waiting, but not hard.

*Tell Titanium Backup to redo all backups
*Reboot into recovery, mount SD over USB, copy my last nandroid off of the SD card to my computer just in case
*Run a new nandroid
*Copy the ROM and any other zips I need over to the SD card
*Flash the ROM and then any other zips
*Reboot
*Enjoy new ROM, or hate it and restore the nandroid

So far I'm loving this CM9. Soooooo much smoother.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

Yeah, the process didn't involve anything intellectually difficult but I guess I just wouldn't use time consuming and tedious to describe a process that's easy.

Maybe that's just me.

Maybe it's just my phone but goddamn does it take forever to copy the old nandroid off / create a new one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm running Clockwork, some slightly older version I think.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I never get the icon but it pulls up my location just fine in maps.

e: Runkeeper doesn't see anything at all, GPS-wise. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A2dp kinda works, kinda doesn't. It plays, but the music randomly speeds up and slows down.