Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Someone asked a few days ago about wanting to upgrade their $30 SERO to the $40 SERO plan and everyone recommended the LG Marquee and HTC Arrive. I want to do the same thing but just had a few questions.

Im leaning towards the Arrive but right now I have a HTC Touch Pro 2 which is pretty terrible. The main problem is its slow as hell, just getting to my text messages takes 15 seconds on average and it will generally freeze up quite often. I dont quite keep up to date with new phones but is the Arrive anything like this or are phones a lot snappier these days?

Also, how is the WP7 marketplace? I don't know what version of windows my TP2 has but the marketplace is pretty bare and terrible.

edit: Would anyone sway me towards the Marquee? I wouldnt mind android, but the reviews indicate a low battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

td4guy posted:

Combine that with modern phones nowadays having processors at least 2-3x more powerful and you'll see that you will barely ever encounter such interface lag.

CharlesM posted:

Windows Phone 7 is a totally different operating system than Windows Mobile 6.5. it's actually programmed well and works! It's been smooth and bug free for me. I like it so far.

Duckman2008 posted:

I use the arrive and like it. Fast, snappy phone. Windows phone 7 marketplace isn't as good as android, but its getting there and all the essentials are there. I would say try one in store, but no one carriers the arrive in store anymore because of poor sales.

Thanks dudes, Ill probably be picking up an arrive shortly. One more question though, if I jump from $30 SERO to $40 Premium SERO is it possible to downgrade to $30 in the future if I choose or will I be locked at $40 forever?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Huh, Im pretty dumb and didnt realize that in order to use the arrive I'd have to not only jump from $30 SERO to $40 premium SERO but also pay the additional $10 smartphone fee. For some reason I thought they were the same fee. So basically the only thing the $40 premium SERO does for you is to put a checkbox on your account that says "Account is now eligible for $10 smartphone fee", correct?

My TP2 still sucks rear end I don't know what to do now.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I called the SERO/EPRP number in the OP, the girl on the phone confirmed that I would be paying $50 for my phone plan if I wanted the arrive. Call back I guess?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Mark Larson posted:

This is a recent change, but yes - they're trying to get everyone with a smartphone (4G or not) on the $50 plan. However, smartphones released before a certain date are supposed to still be eligible for $40 SERO-P. Check sprintusers for more details.
Just in case anyone else was wondering, I emailed E-care about 3G phones and the $10 smartphone fee.

quote:

Good Morning Alex,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Everything Plus Referral Program.

If you upgrade to the Sero Premium plan with the monthly recurring charge of $40.00 and purchase a 3G unit such as the HTC Arrive you would not have to pay the additional $10.00. If purchasing a 4G or iPhone device you would then be required to upgrade to the Sero Premium plan plus the $10 Premium Data Add-on Charge

For further assistance regarding your rate plan please contact Customer Care at 1-888-876-8381.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.

Joyce Paquette
Everything Plus Team

Great to hear, definitely buying an Arrive today. Which I could get one in store though.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Duckman2008 posted:

The other deterrent to him going to a corporate store is very few sprint stores actually carry the arrive anymore. Definitely call before showing up.

And yeah, I ICS on the 3D sounds amazing, looking forward to that.
I went to a regular Sprint store and they had the arrive but the guy there said I had to call E-care to change my SERO plan. I ended up just buying it online. :sigh:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I just bought the arrive for my SERO plan and I was able to use my $150 credit. You buy the phone first and then seperately upgrade to SERO premium when you receive it.

Log in to sprint.com and look at the phones, the price you see will be what you pay. (plus tax)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Huh, if I bought the phone online like I wanted to two days ago I wouldve had the phone already. I went "nah Ill just get it in a store tomorrow" but things went sour so I bought it online. They loving next day air that poo poo for free. 2-5 days my rear end its getting here tomorrow.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So far Im really liking the arrive especially coming from a tp2 with different roms. Just playing with the bing search impressed me a lot. I used to use it for a gps at work on my tp2 but it took 10 seconds to load and was pretty laggy when running. With the arrive I just hit the search touch-button on the front and it loads under a second and runs quite fast. The song recognition function using the microphone was awesome too, I admit I played around for 5 minutes playing random mp3s on my computer seeing if it would get them, and it did. I like that its so easy to get to along with the barcode reader which I might actually use on this phone.

edit: Although wp7 is slightly more 'closed off' than I'd like. Its not a huge deal but it has 16gb of space and usb mode in windows isnt available until you do a registry tweak. Plus I kind of like spending an hour in my settings menu on my first setup, there isnt a whole lot you can change in wp7.

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 31, 2011

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
On my old touch pro 2 the battery status light would blink when the screen was off if I had a text/voicemail/whatever waiting for me. The same status light on my arrive doesnt do this currently, is there a way I can do this? Its kind of annoying to have to keep hitting the power button to check my texts. (I deliver for fedex so I just leave my phone in the truck)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How terribly original.
Original? Who cares about ringtones and alerts being original? Did you also provide us with the thread title?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I looked on the last 2 pages, but didnt see anything mentioned about a text that sprint sent me regarding the sprint navigation.

http://support.sprint.com/support/a...nity:navsupport

I see that it was posted last month but I only found out yesterday when I got a text from sprint. I only used Telenav sometimes, but Sprint Navigation wont affect me being able to use bing maps, will it?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Almost 2 years ago I bought a HTC Arrive and I upgraded my $30 SERO with the $10 premium data. At the time Im pretty sure the Arrive and Marquee were considered the best phones for the plan. Has anything better come along or am I stuck spending another $10 to get to the next level of phones?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'm not sure $40 SERO plans even exist any more. I'm on a $50 plan for my Galaxy S3.
Well, its not technically the $40 SERO plan its the $30 plan with the $10 premium data that let you use a few phones that were slightly more recent.

I should really just get prepaid iphone or something and sell the SERO plan, I used 40 minutes in Sept.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Well, Im on that plan now so it does exist. Im guessing theres only the same phones as a few years ago though.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

mcpringles posted:

Man this thread has been pretty dead lately. I guess most people have left for a better network. I'm still riding out my SERO plan.

My HTC One was updated to 4.4.2 last week and now this Sprint connection optimizer bullshit keeps popping up whenever I'm near wifi. How do I disable it?
Im still here, buddy. Are you on the $50 premium SERO plan? Im just on the $40 premium. HTC Arrive is basically the best phone I can activate on the plan, but its still more than enough for what I use it for.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont understand the thread title. Driving a powerful rwd car on dirt is one of the more fun things you can do.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I would get mud tires. That would be a badass ferrari.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I just recently upgraded from a htc arrive on a $40 sero premium to a htc one m9. I'm a little disappointed because even though I was 99% sure I would have to pay the extra $10 data the salesman said a few times that my bill wouldn't go up at all. That's what I get for not calling the SERO line.

Not that $10 is a big deal, that's 4 less coffees I should buy a month. It's pretty nice having an android phone though. Even just for little phone things like being able to install the starbucks app and pay with a giftcard.

There's no chance I can call sprint up to complain to get my bill knocked down for a month or two is there?

edit: I thought I got banned posting in this thread, but that must've been the previous thread. I wanted to see my offending post. :(

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 13, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah I figured. Oh well.

Front speakers on a phone are awesome. And an IR remote? Phones sure changed a lot in 4 years.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
It was a great phone for sure. I rather liked the bing search button, the keyboard, and while there wasn't much to customize I think that ensured that it was always responsive and fast.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah I know I can just click the link in my rap sheet but no archives.

Harminoff posted:

I doubt it by I recently upgraded my phone and had to do a 2 question survey on how it went. Didn't think much of it, but got an email earlier this week offering a $15 service credit. (I said the person who upgraded me was really awesome, however the website is garbage)
I skipped that survey at the time because I was happy but Ill go try that out. Thanks.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I didn't even know Archives was still a thing v:shobon:v
Well, you had to pay to get access, so thats weird!

*gets banned again

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

So...SERO/EPRP is considered a legacy plan, right? So those of us on it will continue to get upgrade pricing on phones, right?
I just got an HTC one for $99 a few months ago and Im on SERO.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

EdEddnEddy posted:

Just Root the phone and do the super easy build.prop edit to enable wifi tethering (or install a custom rom with some of the Sense Bloat ripped out) and enjoy WiFi from that.

Hell on my trip to Hawaii a month ago, I ripped down nearly 30G for a 2 week trip lol.

Never leaving SERO as long as I can keep it. (and I don't normally pull down over 20G anymore like I used to now that I have actual Wifi at home finally).
Is there a program I can download and just click "root now" and have it do everything for me? I haven't bothered with rooting for over 5 years, and I don't remember it being enjoyable at all.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Does anyone know how data/text/phone work internationally on SERO? Im only going to Canada, all I see on my plan details are these:

SERO Premium
$40.00 Minimum Monthly Charge
500 Anytime Minutes
Nationwide Long Distance Included
America - Roaming Included
Unlimited Any Mobile, Anytime
Unlimited SMS Text Messaging
Unlimited Picture Mail
Unltd Nationwide Direct Connect
Unlimited Group Connect
Unlimited Data Usage (See Terms)
GPS Navigation
Caller ID
Call Waiting
Three-Way Calling
Voicemail

edit: short answer "it doesn't"?

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 23, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I was idle on sprint.com for a few minutes and a chat window came up. Apparently theres a a free international add on. I get unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data every month, you just have to manually activate it which Im doing right now with sprint worldwide chat.

Joie C. : It shows that international texting/data is not added yet on the account. Since you are going to canada I will suggest that you add Sprint Open World on your phone. The Sprint Open Worldsm $0 add-on, gives customers FREE UNLIMITED calling and text when traveling in Canada, Mexico and most other countries across Latin America. Plus, they get 1GB of high-speed data FREE to use while they're there. Each bill cycle, the 1GB high-speed data starts over.

edit: $30/GB after that first free GB :eyepop:

Apparently for this road trip I will be using a map and as little data as possible.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 23, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So my data only gets used when google maps downloads the map as I move along and zoom in and such? It makes so much sense but I didn't think of that, it's not like Garmin GPS have data lines.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into it!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yep already got a good portion of it downloaded, it's about 440mb but there's a lot of extra map I wouldn't be using anyway. I might still go old school map style and just use GPS for finding restaurants and such. Thanks guys!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You guys are weird.

SERO owns.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
God drat the never ending voicemail notification on the essential phone suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

e: This also sucked 2 days into owning the phone too though

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I didn't, but I have TEP. Unfortunately I have to pay more for the deductible that I did for the phone itself. I do have a case for it now though, I've learned my lesson.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

moolchaba posted:

When I last insured my phone, I went with Squaretrade instead of Sprints TEP. It was an easier process and cheaper ($99 for 2 years on my old S4).

But now I scoff at insurance since I buy last years phone at half the original asking price.

And I'm not using a case either. Muahahahahaha.
Yeaah the deductible was pretty stupid but Ill just pay it off and try to forget about it. I was an idiot for not using a case because this phone is beyond slippery, but Ive got a case on the new one now. (Thank you overnight shipping).

Plus I got white which is mildly neat since the black one was out of stock.

Just sideloaded oreo, too. It was super easy.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Not close enough to be worth it for me but I just ordered a free pie for my dad to pick up later. Worth 10+ years of sprint service.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I looked after it was posted by Harminoff and didn't see it, and still don't see it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Starbucks offer finally showed up in my app!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just submitted a request to switch over using this form. Will update when things happen.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Mines going to be effective on April 4th when my billing cycle ends. I picked the $30 plan, and the email mentioned I can still switch to the $50 plan if I want but doesn't say how long thats good for.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Harminoff posted:

One thing i just figured out, and not sure if it has to do with the upgrade, but I couldn't make or receive calls at all. Phone would just go to voicemail.

I had to go to options - network & internet - mobile network - advanced - and turn off Enhanced 4G LTE Mode
Ugh thank you. They said my new plan wasn't kicking in until the fourth but I had the same thing happen to me last night.

Except I forgot my phone at home so Ill fix it later. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Does anyone want my $3 krispy kreme card? They dont have them here anymore.