Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I have a family member with each and prefer the Epic over the Shift if going for a phone with a keyboard. That could change if it runs into issues. I prefer HTC over Samsung but all the real positive reviews of the SGS2 has gotten my attention.

Take reviews with a grain of salt.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/epic-4g-review/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

To be honest, this is probably what I would expect of their devices from here-on out anyways. They'll shipped locked, probably even with signed poo poo, and require installation of a new bootloader through recovery or some other mechanism to actually unlock the devices.

I actually wouldn't mind at all if they don't unlock out of the box. Those of us who want them unlocked can handle a simple unlock procedure. For people that stick with stock firmware, it's just some extra protection to make sure they don't install something they don't want, however unlikely that may be.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Shed posted:

I know on the business side of things at least by talking to a coworker, he has less phone upgrades to do with the 3D than he did with the original Evo 4G last year (our customers we work with can basically preorder by saying "hey, can you order this for x lines on release date?"). There's still demand, but it's not game changing like the original.

It's similar to computers, the Evo is plenty fast for guy checking email and the screen is as big as this years model. There isn't anything game changing on the surface of the 3D except gimmicky 3D stuff so people are sticking with the 4G.

Under the hood there's a ton of RAM and another CPU core, which I'm all for.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Y'all keep calling the 3D a gimmick, but I think it would be cool to take 3D pictures and video.

It's kind of gimmicky, but the hardware package is solid enough that it's just a bonus feature compared to the Sensation which is almost the same phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

No one knows, but I wouldn't be surprised.

PDANet is always an option if they do.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

change my name posted:

If the 3d doesn't actually come out this week (yes I'm counting saturday as this week) and isn't fantastic I'm just gonna say gently caress it and get the shift already

The Shift is already guaranteed never to get Sense 3.0, so Gingerbread is likely to be the last update it will ever see.

Right now, with hardware advancing as fast as it does, buy the latest and greatest when you buy something. You'll get a lot more for the extra $50 you pay for the 3D.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

You are definitely right on this, just curious if I missed some announcement on the Evo and Evo Shift not getting Sense 3.0? Or is it just likely not feasible because Sense 3.0 is big as hell?

Next Sprint date when they change stuff is June 24th or 25th, so if the Evo 3D launched in late june, could be one of those 2 days.

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/no-sense-3-0-for-htc-desire-desire-zg2-desire-hd-evo-4g-and-droid-incredible/

I wouldn't doubt storage restrictions, Sense 2 is huge as it is.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Point is, as far as can a phone go on EPRP or not, your mileage may vary, as many people didn't have any problems with getting the Evo on EPRP. It depends on who you talk to.

It's been a year now, so it should no longer be an issue for the most part. If you ever need good help with SERO or EPRP, call Employee Care. They actually know the EPRP/SERO/Employee plans and can help. Number on this page

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

change my name posted:

Of course it is, they're trying to fix the problems the 4g had aren't they?

If you read the Sensation review on Engadget, they were getting 24 hours+ with a smaller battery than the 3D has with basically the same phone. This bodes well.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

jaku78 posted:

Had the phone on for over a day in that review and still had 50% left. Now this is with all that preloaded junk they put on the phone too. Though it's kinda hard to tell what that means for the 3D since these phones are somewhat different(battery, RAM, different radios). All this tells us is the dual core phones are powerful and don't tax the battery to death, which is really good to hear if you are coming from some of the older snapdragon single cores that can burn batteries in a few hours.

More RAM should actually use less power. This why auto task killers are bad, Android loads things into RAM as you use them, loading from flash takes more power than keeping something in RAM. So it processes loaded in RAM but completely idle as long as it can until that memory is needed for something else. The ability to keep more stuff in RAM with the full 1GB vs the ~768 MB the sensation has should actually be better. This is how Microsoft failed us all, they made us believe that free RAM is good, free RAM is wasted RAM.

Cozmosis posted:

You're right, but I'd worry the CDMA and WiMax radios would more than compensate for the extra battery size.

CDMA shouldn't be an issue, if you look at a Sprint Blackberry on 3G, they can run for days. I'm not sure if that's some sort of "fact" about CDMA just generically using more power, but it's really a non-issue. 4G will always use more power, but at least you can limit that pretty easily or just turn it off all together.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

change my name posted:

View looks lovely, don't care about online customers getting the 3d on the 21st anyways because I have to do it in person at my school's sprint store if I want to get the discount.

That's for Premier customers, not just general online orders. They will send you an email if you qualify to order early.

Sprint employees: Can I use a Sprint gift card for an online order?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Last June, I used my wife's upgrade to get my EVO and she's not the primary line on the account. Is there any way to make her the primary account and get the extended premier gold upgrade or should I just stick with my plan of getting a new phone on eBay?

If it did work, I don't think you can time it correctly. Changes to the primary line take a billing cycle to change, or at least they did back when I changed the primary line on my account 2 years ago.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

mtr posted:

In preparation for the Evo 3D launch, I'm going to sell my Evo on craigslist or Ebay. I know the obvious step of deleting my SD card and reverting the phone back to factory settings, but for some reason I think I remember reading (maybe in this thread) that there is some code I should look up/erase/change so that whoever gets my phone has no chance of doing anything with my Sprint account.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've googled around and websites just say "revert it to factory settings", but I feel like there's one more step to be completely safe.

If you're paranoid, deleting your SD card does nothing. There are free programs that can recover "deleted" files off of an SD card. Either get a program that will fully erase your SD or just buy a new one for $10 and put it in there.

McPhearson posted:

This of course assumes you know your MSL, but you can call sprint and get that info.

Do this before you activate a new phone. The reps cannot look up an MSL on an inactive phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

I would say that Apple ordering Sprint towers (Can they do that? I'll have two towers to go, please. I guess if anyone can, Apple can.) combined with the announcement that the iPhone is no longer carrier exclusive is pretty solid evidence that it will eventually be on Sprint. I'm more interested in the how, though. Verizon rushed to get it, so they got a 3G-only device. If Sprint waited, I can almost guarantee it was because they wanted to launch a 4G-capable version. But would Apple put the time and effort into a WiMax device just for Sprint? Or is this evidence that Sprint is ready to launch an LTE network? The latter makes more sense, given that it would minimize the amount of custom hardware Apple would have to manufacture.

Doesn't matter much to me either way... I'm pretty happy with Android, and iOS would seem like a step backwards to me. My mom, on the other hand...

Yes, if you've got the cash, you can have your own site put in. You can also get an SLA on that site if you pay enough. This is not uncommon for corporate facilities that might be outside of good coverage.

EDIT: Ha, they're predicting a $20/month extra charge for an iPhone plan. I doubt this would be true, especially if it's a 3G phone. There's very little chance pricing plans are concrete for a phone that's several months away from release.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 10, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

The Raglay posted:

I'd like to do it this month and grab the EVO 3D. Is it possible to get this through the EPRP website? I didn't see any mention of it.

The EPRP website is the regular Sprint site with discounted plans, it should always have all of the phones.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goddamnit. Evo took a dive off of the nightstand and landed screen first. Shattered but still working, typing this on it even.

Got insurance and an upgrade that comes up 7/1. I was going to sit on it since I love my Evo but with this thrown in...how can I best turn a shattered screen but otherwise fine 4G into a launch day 3D for as little cash as possible?

You're going to have to pay the $100 deductible most likely. You can still put the Evo 4G on craigslist for $250-$300, and your refurb should be in like-new condition. They might be able to replace the screen in-store (which really just means a refurb in-store), which is free if you have TEP.

Tips for selling on craigslist:
Go to monoprice.com and get a cheap car charger and the $5 micro HDMI cable. Total will be around $10 shipped I think.

List it with "extras" and a "clean ESN" for $275. You almost paid for your 3D, even after deductible. If you can root it, unlock the thing and sell it "unlocked." That opens it up to Cricket customers too. I've seen them pre-flashed to Cricket selling for $350-$400, so this is definitely worth a shot if you know how (it's not hard if you are comfortable rooting/flashing stuff). Including that HDMI cable and a car charger always help, people think those are expensive since they're ~$30 each in a Sprint store.

EDIT: If you add the charger and HDMI, you should be able to get $300 for it.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

WoG posted:

So who's got predictions on how far that market value will tank when the 3d drops and every third evo's being flipped simultaneously?

I activated an Evo and sold a Moment for $200 afterwards.

There are people less informed than you are and there are people with a Moment/Hero/Transform that have 6 months or more left on a contract.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

Quite good for the utilization part. Dunno about turning it off, though.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/117/1174559p1.html

"Display auto-enables for supported apps but can also be forced off in software."

I found this funny: "Without 3D mode enabled, the Evo 3D display is identical to the Evo 4G in terms of picture quality"

Oh IGN, it's like you don't even try. qHD and the SLCD are really just marketing terms, I'm sure.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Anyone seen a review confirm or deny a notification LED?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

I haven't seen anything in any reviews, but I'm pretty sure it's clearly visible in several pictures. Could be wrong, but HTC doesn't usually skip on them do they?

*edit* Forgot to add, someone at XDA dumped an engineering sample of the Evo 3D.

HTC is pretty consistent with them, or has been so far. There's the front camera on the right of the speaker, and either a light sensor or an LED directly on the left of the speaker.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chunk posted:

What are the odds of a case that thin and a kickstand though?

Also I really want the gold ring instead of the red ring, I guess I'll need to buy a different battery cover.

Official prototype case w/ kickstand:
http://www.goodandevo.net/2011/03/htc-evo-3d-to-get-case-with-kickstand-shortly-after-launch.html

Looks as thin as possible to still have the stand. I really like the kickstand on this better than the Evo 4G, this looks way less prone to tipping over.

As far as the red ring, it's not part of the cover. The Evo 4G has a red camera ring too, it's attached to the lens.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

The biggest reason I was thinking about getting a kickstand case until I saw what side the port was on was so I could use it as a desk clock and to occasionally watch videos.

I really wish they'd left the port on the bottom, or even the top near the headphone jack. But it really does seem like poor planning for that case.

Chunk posted:

Are you sure? This makes it look like it's part of the cover http://androinica.com/2011/03/why-doesnt-htc-evo-3d-have-a-kickstand/

You're right. I just watched the video linked toward the top of the page, he pulls the cover and the red is no longer part of the phone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

td4guy posted:

I now have a new goal. Keeping my Touch Pro2 through the year 2018. :v:

I salute you.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Contemplating Jazz posted:

So I am currently eligible for a full upgrade, but I'm having issues figuring out what phone/plan upgrade I should go for.

One thing I am wary of is that I currently have Everything Messaging (individual), which said $49.99 but actually comes out to $63.00 a month because of some stupid fees. I know the OP mentioned fees but they all seemed a bit higher than ~$10, and I'd like to know if there was a way of gauging what my monthly bill will ACTUALLY be when I upgrade?

I am looking for a smartphone, perhaps with a physical keyboard. I currently don't even have a touch phone, so this is a big step. I'd like an Android phone (I'm into software development), but I'm not sure on the plans/internet packages(?) I would need. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've read over the OP, but a lot of it is gibberish to me. Seems like I would go with Everything Data: $69.99 + $10 for smart phone = $80, but with a mystery amount of an extra monthly fee? Yarg.

It depends on local taxes and fees. If you give an area/major city and the pre-tax price, someone should be able to tell you what they're paying if they're also in that area. Any time I've asked, it doesn't seem like the reps can look that up, but that may have changed.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Tatsujin posted:

Im pretty much set on upgrading with an Evo 3D and just finding a used Evo 4G for my 2nd line. Might as well get 2 4g phones if my bill goes up $10.

$10 per smartphone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

nate fisher posted:

a lovely camera for it being a 8MP camera

Of course it did, 8MP and a tiny lens kind of gave that one away.

If you didn't see this coming, I don't know what to say. I'm glad the 3D has a 5MP camera, it should take much better pictures than the 4G did.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Did you read what they said about that though? They claimed they "barely used it" in those 14 hours, then explained that they took 80 3D photos and 4 videos, and 8 hours of active use, as well as a bunch of other poo poo. What a terrible perspective, if that's "barely using" the device.

I think it's odd that Engadget is the only source that said the battery is worse, where BGR and others said it's at least slightly better. I'm interested to see a review where they disable Rosie and stop using Sense widgets. Sense is decent looking, but it's drat sure not light on battery usage.

All in all, I'm still looking forward to it. They'll patch Sense a bit, which should improve battery life, and then CM7 should help even more.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

brc64 posted:

Unrelated-- amidst all the Nexus 3 rumors, do we know yet which manufacturer will be proving the hardware? I had heard LG speculated a while back, but I guess it could really be anybody.

The recent Nexus S and Google Voice events are making it look good for Sprint, but there's no guarantee on carriers or even if it will come out in Q1 2012. The complete uncertainty on release date is really my main motivator for the 3D. That plus the CEO saying they'll unlock it.

I think I've outgrown the "just around the corner" syndrome. Or I can justify selling the 3D in 8 months and getting the Nexus 3 off contract.

Mahoning posted:

It doesn't. Definitely nicer than the EVO's screen in terms of resolution, but the color saturation and everything is virtually identical to the EVO. Just doesn't compare to the vibrance of SAMOLED.

That's par for course. It's really too bad Samsung can control the market on SAMOLED. I'm guessing they're having issues bumping to qHD since they passed on it for the SGS2 in favor of dropping pentile. Or they can make a bigger profit using cheaper displays and most people won't notice. Hell, their GPU will push better numbers at a lower resolution too. The Optimus S performs as well as it does partially because of the low res screen.

I'm really looking forward to qHD for web browsing and remote desktop since those seem to be places where I end up scrolling around the most.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chappy posted:

I know I'm going to sound crazy for this, but I prefer non SAMOLED screens. SAMOLED looks almost fake to me. There's just something about it I really do not like.

Not really, it's definitely different. What I can't stand 120Hz LCD TVs, they look absolutely fake to me.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^The screen is better than the Evo 4G

sirbeefalot posted:

That's kind of the problem, in my case at least. I've come to subconsciously expect that kind of motion with television and movie frame rates, and when a 120+ hz set smooths all that out, it looks really odd.

This for sure, it looks too smooth somehow. This is looking at a TV at someone's house, not display models.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

I was under the impression that if we ordered it tonight at midnight, it'd be shipped overnight, or in the next 2 days. Is that no longer the case?

Anytime I've ordered a phone, they always say something like 3-5 days. Every single time it's been the next day but I think they have to tell you worst case. So, I guess you can hope for next day, but they've never confirmed it would be overnight for me even when I mentioned that they usually show up the next day.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Acrolos posted:

Looks like I may be making the switch to Sprint over the next few months, thanks to Verizon deciding to screw over their customers with tiered data.

Is there an easy way to check on the service in a certain area, without relying on sketchy data maps? I'm thinking of maybe a forum of some kind where people discuss services in certain areas? For the record, I live about 30 miles directly south of Greensboro, NC if anyone can provide feedback.

Everyone I've known who has Sprint in this area complained about their service, but it's been a few years since I've known someone who had a Sprint phone. Verizon dominates this area.

Buy a Sprint phone and get a new number, but do not cancel your old Verizon plan. Check your coverage out for a day. Then call Sprint and have them port your Verizon number over when you're ready, this will automatically cancel your old account. If it sucks, just go back to the Sprint store and cancel.

If you get good coverage everywhere but home, tell them you're going to cancel because of thisand they should give you an Airrave cell site for your house. This requires a home Internet connection to work, but they work really well.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Dim, Tired, and Elderly posted:

EVO3D isn't showing up when I go to pick a phone after completing the info from the ERP link. Are they not offering the EVO3D for new ERP customers?

Today it's only available for Premier Silver and Gold customers. If you're a new customer (EPRP or otherwise), there's no way you can get it until Friday since you can't be a Premier customer out of the gate.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
This isn't exactly true. Lots of non Premier people have been ordering it (myself included).

Now I truly see no purpose in Premier Silver.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
:siren: I know you're all excited, and I'm waiting anxiously for my 3D as well BUT I would like to do a quick review of rules for these occasions:

Ok to post:
Short reviews of your new phone
Maybe some unboxing photos if few or none have been posted
Sprint telling you the 3D is backordered and it will be 3 weeks before you get one
Stuff we might all care about

Not ok to post (i.e. how to get probation):
UPS play-by-play of your personal shipment status in any form including low-content hits like "it's here," "out for delivery," and "there's no tracking number"

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

diospadre posted:

Admit it, you typed all that other stuff just so you wouldn't have to probate yourself for a personal shipment status, didn't you?

*Probates self*

Actually I pre-ordered at a Sprint store, if anyone else did and hasn't received a call about it you might check on your order. It's not a bad deal, I got a call last week and they scheduled a time for me to come in and get it. No lines for this nerd guy.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

It's not like you HAVE to use the 3D functionality on the Evo 3D. I don't really see the point in having two virtually identical phones on the same carrier.

Unless they're banking on a lot of people saying "man, I don't need 3D and this one is $175 instead of $200." Otherwise I completely agree.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

I find it interesting that some sites report that device as the Rider, some as the Kingdom. If that truly is an EVO 3D without 3D and a single 8mp camera instead, I think I might actually prefer it to the 3D. Oh well, not that I expect to be disappointed with the 3deez.

The 5MP on the 3D should actually take better pictures than an 8MP with a camera that small.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
This is the temporary "OMG I just got an Evo 3D thread" through Sunday so the regular Android threads aren't completely derailed. After Sunday take the Android chat to the appropriate thread.

Don't neglect the non-3D questions either, this is still the Sprint thread.

But still no low-content posts (i.e. tracking info).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
The pre-release OTA will update your hboot among other things. This could drastically reduce your chances of rooting when/if root is found for the original hboot. It's very easy to update but possibly impossible to roll back.

That's all assuming HTC doesn't make good on unlocking the bootloader, in which case it doesn't matter.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

sonicice posted:

This phone is ridiculously awesome. I'm coming from a Touch Pro so Android is incredibly confusing to me right now, but I can't believe how drat fast this thing is. Had a couple issues activating it at first but now I'm playing Words With Friends like a champ. I think I'm in love :swoon:

Wordfeud uses push notifications and is goon-made and overall much much better.

The guy who makes Fresh ROM (easily one of the best Evo 4G Sense ROMs) has his 24-hour impression of the 3D posted, it's pretty informative and gives a lot of detail:
http://geekfor.me/news/24-hours-with-my-evo-3d/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

change my name posted:

2 questions: Does the 3d come with headphones? Also, how much does the 450 minute plan with unlimited data/texting usually cost after insurance, taxes and the 10 dollar smartphone fee?

If you don't have a corporate discount, check the OP for EPRP if you're a new customer, it knocks off $10 from the 450 plan to start out. Taxes would be ~$10 or less depending on where you live.