Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm considering switching to Sprint and getting a Nexus S 4G in June when my AT&T contract ends. Anyone in the DC area have experience with their service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Best Buy's site has a date of May 8 for the Nexus S 4G.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

diospadre posted:

It's not about that, everyone sues everyone forever. That's just how tech patents work.
I was going to say that it's not like Apple doesn't do the exact same thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh God... I did some research and found that the iPhone syncs with Google contacts/calendar/etc. My main reason for sticking with Android was Google integration, and now that argument has evaporated.
For what it's worth, it doesn't do it quite as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

Anyone with a 3GS want to chime in on how your phone is running on iOS 5?
Almost everyone who has it says it runs as well as iOS 4 did. (Obviously, it's missing a couple features: Siri and Facetime (no front camera).)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

It's planned obsolescence.
Is this better or worse than unplanned-but-to-be-expected obsolescence like every non-Nexus Android phone?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doomsayer posted:

So, I'm sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but I'm kind of out at sea here. Recently on spring break I accidentally dropped my phone in a pool (no cool story or anything, I'm just an idiot), which means I'm SOL apparently. I've been trying to find a way to avoid paying the $300 they want for a new phone, but I don't have an upgrade for another year.
At least you didn't set yourself on fire throwing gas on a fire like "everyone has done."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I do wish Google would flex some muscle, and refuse to allow carriers to brand the phones with their logo. If Apple can do it why can't Google?
Google could try, but they don't want to for a variety of reasons. For instance, Sprint wouldn't really be hurting if a phone with ~1% of the US market share isn't on their network, so Sprint can dictate their terms or just tell Google to piss off since there's still plenty of Android phones on Sprint. (I don't have a source for that 1%, but Ice Cream Sandwich adoption is on all of 3% of Androids globally, with the majority likely being Galaxy Nexuses and Android is about 50% of the market.) On top of that, Google's revenue stream comes from advertising, with phone sales being a tiny portion of it. App sales aren't even a huge source of revenue. So Google wants as many Android phones out there as is possible, meaning it's in their best interest to concede putting "Sprint" on the back of their phone. Apple, on the other hand, wasn't really hurting much without Sprint, since they get quite a bit of money from hardware sales as well as app sales.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How's the LTE signal on Sprint? Is it horrible at penetrating buildings like WiMax?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why are you closing apps anyway? Android's memory management is quite good now. The menu button itself was horribly unintuitive since it was never clear if it would do anything or when it would do it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

I had to do it nonstop to the NBC olympics streaming app, since it'd error out hourly with 'invalid bitrate' and you had to force close the fucker to get the error to go away.

That's not at all what he's talking about, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobula posted:

Arrrgh, where is my awesome fast high spec Android phone with a 4 inch screen :'(

You'll never get it, since bigger screen = better, so unless you want a 4.5" or bigger screen, you can't get a device with high end specs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I am planning to pre-order 2 iPhones 5 this week. Does Sprint charge you the full amount upfront on your credit card or once you pick your phones up?

I had preordered a Nexus S from Best Buy and despite going through the whole new account thing, I was never charged for anything since I ultimately canceled the order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Help whatever poor bastard works at the Sprint store by proving him commission?

If he's preordering, it's probably not from a Sprint store.