Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Dear Sprint,

My loving PCS Vision user name and password are not incorrect. Actually, I'm not even sure that they exist or that I have the ability to change them, so please stop interrupting my game of Angry Birds every 15 seconds. (Updating profile seems to have fixed it but this poo poo has been happening way too often lately)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
When I called telesales to order a Hero for my sister, the woman I talked to was like "Did you see the phone on the website? How much did it cost?" because apparently she could only offer me the cheaper price if I asked for it.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
If you are male and the EVO is too big for the pocket on your jeans then you are wearing girls jeans.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
He has to go outside because the wavelength that Sprint owns does not have good building penetration.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

brc64 posted:

Where the gently caress did this come from?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-07/at-t-verizon-required-by-u-s-to-share-networks-for-mobile-data-traffic.html

And what does it mean for Sprint consumers, if anything? Does it mean we'll finally get EVDO roaming on Verizon's network? Does it mean that Sprint will stop caring if >50% (or whatever) usage is roaming? This is crazy, and seems to have come out of nowhere.

I'm pretty sure it means EVDO on Verizon's network. I'm also pretty sure Verizon will find a way to throttle that poo poo, regardless whether or not it's legal.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Chappy posted:

Good lord man, I'm guessing you either live in a huge house, or one made out of iron or something.

My house is single story, 1800 square foot. I get full Airrave signal in every single room, and even 30 feet or so outside of my house.

Lots of old houses have chicken wire in the walls, which does a pretty good imitation of a faraday cage when it comes to wireless signals

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm going to drive over my HTC Mogul just as soon as I get an answer to...

I want a big fancy Android based phone, but I'm not buying the Evo with the 3D coming out sometime this year. I'm curious, what's a good or good-enough used phone I can get for $75 to $100 either in SA-Mart or on Craigslist that runs Android and won't make me regret the purchase? I'd like an Android phone to start getting used to it because I think it's very cool, but I'd also like to not spend a boatload of money because I may want to get in on the first wave of 3Ds

Holy poo poo, I smashed my Mogul to pieces in a fit of rage like a year ago.

Really the only phone worth considering is the HTC Hero. Stock kind of sucks but you can learn all about custom roms and rooting and then sell it after you upgrade, probably for the same price you paid. Of course, you could do the same thing with an EVO but I don't know how tyre release of the 3D will affect the price.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Deadpan Science posted:

I have a hero right now and it's slow as heck even with cyanogen's overclock. I'd just wait for the evo 3D if I were you.

He's coming from a Mogul, so the speed of the Hero will be nothing short of amazing.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

general chaos posted:

Wasn't it mentioned quite a while ago that dual core processors are designed to handle tasks more efficiently and would use a lower amount of power in the long run?

As long as the thing isn't $300 on launch, I know I'll eventually bite.

It will almost definitely be $300 on launch with a $100 mail in rebate, same as the regular EVO. Or did you mean after the rebate?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Duckman2008 posted:

Fingers crossed on it, but that does assume Sprint goes back to mail-in rebates. They extended it for another 3 weeks (till May 7th) now, so maybe they will extend it again. Sales talks, and if Sprint keeps getting a lot of new customers from it they will keep doing it.

I'm confused, what do you mean by "it"?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

OptimusMatrix posted:

From what I understand Sprint has been doing instant rebates on some phones at the store instead of losing poo poo loads of sales to the radio shacks and best buys

Oh I had no idea, I always order through telesales. Did they ever work out whether or not EPRP people can buy phones in the stores? I know when the EVO launched it was completely hit or miss.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
How much data d you 4g people tend to use. I was pretty sure I was going to jump onto my sister's family plan at ATT once the new iPhone came out, but the 2 gig limit is worrying me more and more. Especially if the new iPhone has HSPA+, those 2 gigs will get used up pretty quickly. This is making me lean toward getting a 3D Evo, despite me not really liking Android as a platform. The monthly cost of each will be within $5 of each other, so pricing isn't really an issue. My main concern is that data usage for me is only going to go up, especially considering faster internet, more applications that use it, and higher quality streaming video. I really like Apple's hardware,and iOS just seems so much smoother. Any suggestions or comments to help me make a decision?

Oh, I also tend to thing that ATT is an evil company.

If you switch to Sprint there is no data cap. That might help.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

A Bad Poster posted:

poo poo. I dropped my EVO 4g on my way to work, fell flat on its screen and shattered. I've got TEP, any idea if I can just go to a Sprint store and have it fixed, and if it's going to cost me anything?

ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Is SMS via data connection an option or do they all come in that way? I use a program (juice defender) that disables mobile data to save battery life, but texts still come through right away because they use the cell radio.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Mahoning posted:

Good news: for many premier silver customers who lost their yearly upgrades, corporate sprint stores can now honor it until I think 6/30. Pretty awesome.

Also: blackberry fans (if there are any left) the style price is dropping on 5/1 to free.

Can I get a phone on EPRP at the corporate store? I remember when the EVO was released that it was completely hit or miss.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The quoted prices don't make sense at all for a data plan add-on, that was my first tip-off that it was probably data cards.

In general though it wouldn't surprise me if Sprint eventually moves to a tiered model. With spectrum there's finite capacity. You can only split a cell so many times before the noise level gets too high. This is fundamental to RF. The only way you can have "truly unlimited" plans is to have an overabundance of spectrum relative to customers who actually use it. Between Verzion, AT&T, and Sprint, Sprint is the most likely to be in this category. But eventually if they get enough subscribers they will run into capacity issues in certain markets. Once that happens, they'll have to choose one of the not so great options: soft-caps/QoS, hard-caps, or usage disincentives (tiered pricing).

I seem to remember something about the upside to Sprint's lovely building penetrating spectrum was more bandwidth, but I could be completely imagining this.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

OptimusMatrix posted:

Ok so I just realized that Google Voice does not have an empty all button for the trash so if you've been using it as long as I have be prepared to click about a thousand times to clean out your trash folder.

Clicks on the phone or on the computer? On the computer, for any situation that requires you to click many more times than you want to the solution is to AutoHotKey that bitch.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I called employee care the last time they offered the credit and they said no go for EPRP

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

DrBouvenstein posted:

Isn't that the point? It "merges" the two so you only have one or the other.

He already had a Google Voice number in addition to his Sprint number.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

The Grand Judabuddha posted:

there are no voicemails in my Google voicemail inbox. is there a way to get to my sprint inbox without disabling Google voice?

Sprint Visual Voicemal app? I restored the backup of mine from a Sense ROM but you can find the apk easily.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Stevie Lee posted:

I thought Sprint usually overnighted phones? The Optimus I ordered Tuesday night isn't getting delivered until Monday. Kind of disappointing.

I've always received the phone the next day no matter what the person at telesales said. Maybe I just live close to a warehouse.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

FlyingCheese posted:

Yeah, there's no point in going with the EVO right now with the 3D just around the corner. I'm not gonna buy a phone that I will use for 2+ years that is obsolete 1 month after purchase.

At least you're not suffering with a Samsung Alias like I am. I swear this phone has gotten slower with old age. It now takes 1-2 seconds to register button presses. What the christ.

Well the EVO won't exactly be obsolete, it's still a great phone and will be for quite some time, but yeah there's zero reason to get one with a new line or upgrade right now.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

CharlesM posted:

If your Hero is broken why do you want to get another phone from HTC?

If my Integra was broken it wouldn't stop me from getting another car from Acura... :confused:

I mean, I get why people give up on Samsung when the same model breaks 16 times but HTC makes pretty solid phones, it's just that the Hero is old and decrepit when compared to current Android phones.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

900ftjesus posted:

There's already an open-source 4G implementation for WiMAX and HDMI mirroring. The only thing would be getting the dual camera an 3D effect working, which I could definitely live without. Sense is also looking pretty mean, the lock screen isn't crap anymore, their Exchange email client is tons better than AOSP, so I'm not too concerned about being stuck on Sense for a while.

Yeah from what I've seen Sense 3.0 has some cool stuff but why do they insist on keeping that poo poo launcher? They recognized that the lockscreen had room for massive improvement and functionality, but continue to waste 3/4 of the bottom row of the homescreen

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Basically we will need some champion of the people at HTC or Sprint to "lose" an engineering build

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I wonder if something like KON-BOOT could be applied to a phone environment. I don't pretend to understand how it works but apparently it edits the kernel to give you root access without the password.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

TheBlackMallard posted:

Looks like Moto reps said the Photon won't have a locked bootloader.

That's not at all surprising, after the one trillion comments on HTC's Facebook page it's going to be hard to do anything but unlock them.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Lets organize a Facebook campaign asking them to make Rosie into something other than garbage. It worked last time!

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I had to swap in my OG EVO a few months after release because it rebooted constantly but since then it's been great for almost 2 years. v:shobon:v

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Now HTC is saying one of the phone models passed customs review but they don't say which one. They actually say they don't know which one but let's be serious.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

900ftjesus posted:

You're missing the point, it ships with broken software that was broken on purpose and will never be fixed. Get the iPhone or Galaxy Nexus.

It's regarding backgrounding apps, you should be able to send your browser into the background and then bring it back up on the same page. Sense is so useless that it kills the app and makes you reload the website/app/etc again. This all just wastes battery since holding the app in what would be unused RAM costs nothing while reloading websites and apps out of flash takes power.

Except it doesn't do this. I just went from Browser to Maps to Talk to Grand Theft Auto III and the browser still has the same page loaded. What sort of crazy nonsense are the people complaining about this doing to make it happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I got the phone on Thursday, case came Friday via UPS.