Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe it's still in the "rolling out" stages. Since I live in an area cell companies could care less about, it might take a while...

It is. My brother is still waiting on his, but a friend of ours got his invite today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ddogflex posted:

Wow, this double SMS notification poo poo is annoying... The idea of relying on data only (and using the GV app) with lag for SMS kind of sucks assholes more though. Why can't I just turn off SMS notifications in the GV app? :\

Uh...you can.

Menu->Sync and Notifications->Inbox Notifications (uncheck)

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Edit: Just curious after reading some of the post on here I take it that there is no way to stop text message from showing up in the GV app since I made my Sprint number my GV number? I did turn off the notification in the GV app but I still don't need to be double text messaged.

If you also turn off Inbox Sync, you won't get texts in the GV update until you refresh.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

nate fisher posted:

You know someone is going to be busted for cheating because they forget to delete the incriminating texts in the GV app.

Indeed...haha.

That said, I really wish I could set up "filters" in GV...similar to Gmail. Have some people's texts auto-delete after a certain period of time, flat-out ignore others, etc.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is a great summery of what is wrong with Samsung phones and it should be in the OP and linked to every time someone says they are thinking about getting one.

Agreed. This is also the reason why I'm leaning toward the Nexus S over the EVO 3D...though, as I've said many times before, the EVO 3D is A LOT of hardware to pass on.

I'm also heavily considering forgoing my upgrade in June and waiting for the next Nexus phone. They announced the Nexus One in January 2010, and the Nexus S in December 2010, so it would stand to reason that they'll announce the next Nexus phone sometime around December 2011-January 2012. Since I'm perfectly happy with my EVO (and thanks to Cyanogenmod 7 I've already been running Gingerbread for months, and will surely get Ice Cream (Sandwich?) as well), I have little reason to upgrade anyhow...other than the fact that I want a new phone just to have a new phone.

SneakyCracker posted:

Edit 2: Texting does not work in this mode, though.

Another great reason to use Google Voice.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I just wish we knew who will get it first and who is going to make hardware? My guess it is Motorola's turn.

There's been LG rumors going around too...specifically about a Nexus Tablet though.

I suppose it might make sense to let LG develop a Nexus Tablet and the Nexus 3 at the same time to release Ice Cream...

Who knows. At the end of the day, I don't really have a problem with anyone's HARDWARE...it's the crap software they keep dishing out.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ShowTime posted:

You know, i'm kind of starting to hate the guy that posted "Why Samsung phones suck and why the Google Nexus S is different". It was very good information and I don't disagree with anything said. I hate it because now i'm questioning if I want to hold out for the Evo 3d or go with the Nexus.

Pros and Cons basically amount to the Evo 3d being super powerful, made by a developer with a higher success rate for phones and 3d capable, which is pretty damned interesting to me. The Nexus is a Google phone, slimmer, lighter, has an AMOLED curved display, a WiFi hotspot, and NFC. The Evo is more of a "device" while the Nexus is more of a phone, if that makes any sense.

I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the Evo is too powerful. I mean, how powerful of a phone do you need? At what point does all that power become unnecessary? Will all the power of the Evo ever be utilized?

First - the WiFi Hotspot feature WILL still cost you $30 per month from Sprint. I can't find my source right now, but I know I read it somewhere.

Second - Applications will absolutely utilize dual-core processors eventually...but I'm not worried about it right now. Why would someone code an app specifically for dual-cores right now? They would be ensuring that 99% of their potential user-base can't use their app. Sure, some games might come out in the next year or two that will require dual-cores, but 99% of your apps will either a)never need dual-cores, or b)won't require them for at least another year (probably 2).

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's the same way on the G-Mail app. No option to "select all" and then delete them en masse. I think it's Google's attempt to being you into it's "never delete anything! Every message/email is important! Just archive it!" philosophy.

You CAN select all from the website though (for both Google Voice and GMail).

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

technic posted:

I got this email from Sprint the other day and was just curious if this is one of the things that can get me out of my contract without paying the ETF.

I'm no lawyer, but I doubt it.

Sprint didn't initiate the change, North Carolina Utilities Commission did. All Sprint is doing is providing transparency/information as to why they had to increase your bill.

Also, it's $0.02...and it's to help handicapped people. Who complains about that?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Yakadan posted:

It looks like Engadget's done some investigation on this whole GV fiasco.

Thankfully for me I haven't had any problems, but it's scary to think of losing an important account due to untrained reps messing with an account.

Wow. Scary stuff. Had I known about this BEFORE I activated Google Voice + Sprint, I think I would have passed for the time being.

That said, I haven't had a single issue thus far, and I've been thoroughly enjoying the integration.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, that explains why I can't activate it on my phone:

I have a corporate/education discount, so it gets treated like a corporate account when it shouldn't be.

I have a dicsount through my employer too, but it activated just fine for me...

It's really weird how temperamental these things can be...

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Google and Sprint responded to the Google Voice issues:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/06/google-and-sprint-respond-to-google-voice-integration-issues/

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ShowTime posted:

I don't know about EPRP plans, but I do know that the Nexus S isn't going to be a Best Buy exclusive. I was at my local Sprint store talking to them about the phone and they said they would have plenty of them available on Sunday.

And there have been several reports of people purchasing them today, actually.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

I ported my sprint # to google voice and now I can't use Handcent to do SMS with.
It only shows up in the google voice app. That wouldn't be so bad but swype refuses to give me an enter key in it, where Handcent lets me chose whether it will be the enter key or a smiley key.
Noticfications are still checked in Handcent, I even tried uninstalling the google voice app to see if that would help but I couldn't get any new messages until I re-installed it.
What do I try now?

You need to enable Text-Forwarding in your Google Voice options.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Suppin posted:

I'm only wondering because there will be a day that I'm not with sprint and I want to fully port it.

In order to port your number fully to Google Voice, you'll have to completely cancel your contract with Sprint and then sign a new one with whatever provider you choose to go through.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Woo! Finally got GV integration working! It's only been a few hours but I love it already...being able to text from my computer is awesome.

Speaking of which...Facebook just yelled at me and turned off Text Notifications.

Is there ANY way I can get them back without disabling GV and re-enabling it, or is that my only way?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Blackaxis posted:

After a few months, I managed to scratch my EVO screen. What are my options to fix this? I've seen the digitizers on eBay, are they of the same quality? How big of a pain is this? Can I just pay for the sprint store to repair the screen without having to go through TEP?

I've heard that Watch Repair Shops are really good at fixing scratches.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Interesting that you mention this...my friend (who lives in Dallas, TX) just said she was having problems as well, and called me to ask if I knew anything.

I haven't noticed any issues in Toledo, OH

EDIT:

In other news...apparently it's looking likely that the AT&T-Mobile deal will go through...and there is speculation that Sprint may sell to CenturyLink...

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/05/17/if-att-tmobile-closes-could-sprint-sell-centurylink/

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 18, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Isn't LG still the leading candidate to produce the Nexus 3?

I thought I read somewhere that Google was testing a htc AND a LG device, and one of them would end up being the Nexus 3?

Either way, I'm excited that there's a good chance Sprint will get it out of the gate, and I'll be holding off on the EVO 3D in favor of the Nexus 3.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Oh, hey. Google now lets you have/keep TWO numbers:

http://googlevoiceblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/make-your-secondary-google-voice-number.html

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

mtr posted:

Careful saying that. Most people consider Evos huge. If you protect it with a case it gets even larger. Before buying one sight unseen, I would suggest that someone wears their favorite pair of pants to a phone store to see how it fits in a pocket, even if they aren't a "girl jeans wearing guy".

My 5'7?, 130 lbs girlfriend has no more trouble putting my EVO in her pocket than her iPhone 4. We both use Otterbox Commuter Series cases on them.

If you're a guy and you can't fit the EVO in your pocket, then stop wearing women's pants, buy a pair of Levis 501's and try acting like a man for once.

As for the EVO 3D... I'm holding off to see what the dev community around it looks like (after the unlocked bootloader) and waiting to hear if Sprint is getting the Nexus 3. The EVO does everything I want/need it to do... so I don't feel the need to upgrade right away.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Did you read what they said about that though? They claimed they "barely used it" in those 14 hours, then explained that they took 80 3D photos and 4 videos, and 8 hours of active use, as well as a bunch of other poo poo. What a terrible perspective, if that's "barely using" the device.

I was thinking the same thing. If that is "barely using" a phone, then I can't imagine what "heavy usage" is.

nate fisher posted:

It can be a pain, but if you work in a office or somewhere it can be charged no biggie. That said I can't count the times I have been out on a weekend night to have my EVO die on me.

Right now I have 5% left and I charged it off and on today, but I have done some streaming since.

You could look into a portable battery charger too -

$16.12
2600mAh Universal External Backup Battery for Mobile Devices

$39.76
7800mAh Universal External Backup Battery for Mobile Devices

I'm certainly picking up the 7800mAh one before my next vacation. It'll be very easy to keep this in my backpack to charge my phone (and anyone elses) if need be.

Day-to-Day, I get along just fine since I can charge my phone at the office and in my car when need be.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

Strongly considering buying a used Evo (like anyone would pay money or trade for my Epic) until this comes out, but then I recall that Sprint hasn't gotten poo poo from Google prior to the NS4G.

I'm torn. Either I get the Evo 3D on release day or I take that money and buy a used Evo 4G and then wait 6 months, then find that the Nexus 3 is probably going to a/the GSM carrier.

Sprint was actually destined to get the Nexus One, until they decided to not offer it in favor of the EVO 4G instead.

The recent Sprint & Google Voice partnership, plus the likely acquisition of T-Mo by AT&T makes me very hopeful that Sprint will be Google's preferred carrier going forward, and they'll just make the Nexus series all "World Phones" going forward.

...hey, I can dream, right?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

tikan posted:

Quick question, cousin is on Sprint and needs a new android phone, which is best at the moment?

Have you literally read NONE of the last 3 pages of this thread?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

z16bitsega posted:

Does anyone have any case recommendations yet for the 3D?

@OtterBox: Yeah, its real. Defender (http://t.co/O1nE6nF), Commuter (http://t.co/CkORuPO) & Impact (http://t.co/v8uzgMe) avail 4 EVO 3D. Check em out!

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I really want a "You Don't Know Jack" or something for Android.

That would be amazing...

Alman posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1076150&page=202 That's the one I used, not sure if it'll work on the o.g. EVO though

Sigh. Still doesn't work on my Xoom.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 27, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

WoG posted:

I'm probably holding out for the nexus 3 either way, though.

Same. I'm really wanting the boost in battery life that the E3D brings, but I'm making myself hold out for the Nexus 3 announcement. I have a good feeling that Sprint will get it at launch this time.

How is the reception (cell and wifi) on the E3D compared to the EVO 4G? This has always been my biggest gripe about my EVO...it gets worse cell and wifi reception than my Pre did.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Can any of the Sprint guys let me know if there are any known issues in the Toledo, Ohio area?

I've basically not had ANY data service the last day and a half.

My EVO still works just fine on Wifi though... Can just the data radio go bad?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Werid. I even called them yesterday and they said there were no known issues.

I'm flashing to Fresh 4.2 so I can call in again, and if they need to do any dial codes, I'll be able to do them.

I didn't realize Detroit was having power outages. Due to the heat or that absurd storm that came through on Monday?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Shed posted:

I can check tomorrow when I go to work. I just don't have access to the SA forums while I am there... they are pretty strict about what we can and can't do on our work computers. Keep in mind I work in a call center setting (even though we really aren't one).

And you don't have the Awful App?

Thanks though. I got through, and apparently there is a 4G issue in various areas, but no reported 3G issues.

Of course, once I did a wipe & install of Fresh 4.2, things started working just fine, so I decided to go ahead and do a full update to CM 7.1 and things are working just fine now as well. It's weird...but it seems like something got effed up out of nowhere on CM 7.0.3.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

MY ABACUS! posted:

I'm considering asking my friend to add me to his family plan and transferring my number from Verizon. He has the 1400 minute two line plan with data at the moment. Would it only increase his monthly fee by the $20/month add'l line charge, or would there be anything else? Also, would I be entitled to the same discount on a new smartphone as if I signed up for a new account alone?

I literally just added a friend to my plan -

It's $20 to add a line and then there's the $10 "Smartphone Fee" on top of it. Plus, he opted for insurance, so there's another $8. Everyone on my plan decided the most fair way to split the bill was just divide the total among all 3 of us, so it runs about $60 per person.

He got the EVO 3D for $200 plus tax, and got the $125 "port credit" as well (which, of course, actually shows up as a discount off my bill, so I'm just not charging him for his cellphone for a few months).

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 26, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

The Antipop posted:

My Evo 3d camera and camcorder no longer work. I just noticed it today when I wanted to take a picture. Any idea what I can do to fix it? I would rather not resort to a hard reset as I don't know how to get all my contacts back on the phone.

Alternatively, how can I get all my contacts back on the phone and I will do a hard reset.

Assuming that all of your contacts are in Gmail, all you have to do after a factory reset is sign into your Google Account and they'll automatically re-sync.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Hdip posted:

How do I actually close the browser so that when I open it fresh in the afternoon it goes to a homepage instead of the last page I looked at?

Close the window when you're done with it?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Tony Danza posted:

Use the back button instead of the home key?

Or Menu->Windows->Close Window(s)

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Didn't someone mention earlier in the thread that Sprint & Google have basically just agreed to a special API hook between their databases so that they can properly route the traffic, depending on how you do the integration?

I thought the integration was easy & staightforward - You elect to integrate, choose which number you want to be used for everything, and be on your merry way... :confused:

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Well, here's your specs.

:negative:

Must...hold...out...for...Nexus...Prime

Then again, if this has the stupid 3 button design instead of the standard 4 button design, it'll be REALLY easy for me to pass on this.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

brc64 posted:

I thought the rumor was that the next Nexus was going to have no buttons.

Well, sure...but the Honeycomb UI is designed differently than anything pre-Honeycomb. Since ICS is more like Honeycomb, it wouldn't bother me.

The SGSII Variants that I've seen all have the stupidly large "iPhone-esque" center button, a menu button, and a back button. No search button. Not only do I use my search button a lot...but I think the 3 button look that Samsung has been going toward looks like WP7 and iOS had a bastard child and I hate it.

I'd be perfectly happy running a Honeycomb-esque UI on a phone, but I don't want to run a pre-Honeycomb UI on a phone without 4 buttons.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

You live in a cardboard box with your Nexus?

I was wondering the same thing...I don't own a house either...but I still have keys...

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Alman posted:

Yeah, since Sprint has about half the customers (a little less actually I think?) than AT&T or Verizon, gross data consumption as a total is probably about the same as one of the top two. But since a LOT of the backhaul for Sprint coverage is leased from other telecoms (read: AT&T, Verizon), the cost is actually higher, putting a larger financial burden on a smaller company with substantially smaller revenues. The $10 smartphone fee has helped recoup some of those losses by boosting ARPU a bit, but in the end, until providing data becomes more cost-effective, the only solution I can see is introducing a more expensive unlimited plan, introducing throttling, introducing tiered pricing, or some sort of combination of those.

I'm sorry, but if they do end up throttling/raising prices, I'm going to Verizon. Sprint is great 95% of the time...the other 5% I deal with lovely coverage because they're cheap.

If Sprint raises their prices and it's only going to cost me a few dollars more per month to be on Verizon...well, so be it.

Right now, I have 3 4G phones (Evo, Epic, E3D) at a total monthly cost of about $150. Last time I looked, it was substantially more on Verizon.

Price and ACTUAL unlimited plans are the only differentiator between Sprint and AT&T/Verizon. If they lose both of those, why would anyone stay with Sprint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I never had touchscreen issues with my evo, although I am sure some people have. Anything under warranty can be exchanged for $35.

...if it's under warranty, and it's a manufacturing defect..why is there a $35 fee? Shouldn't it be replaced FOR FREE under warranty?