Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
Just ordered an Evo Shift for my wife, via telesales. Back when I got my phone, I was able to have it billed to my account with no mail in rebate, and I wanted to do the same with this one. Her being the secondary line on my account, her phone was eligible for the 22 month, $150 upgrade. While talking with the Indian gentleman named "Robert", he was running down the charges I would see.

"Robert": The phone is normally $399, and with the $150 credit, you will pay $249. (no mention of a MiR)
Me: The phone is $149 on your website.
"Robert": Oh, ok. I will charge you $149 then.
"Robert": It be $12 to ship your new phone.
Me: I don't recall paying for shipping when I bought my phone through telesales back in December...
"Robert": Ok then. I will waive the shipping fee.
Me: :allears:

Was this guy just hoping I wasn't paying attention, or what? He seemed almost kinda like "oops, you caught me!" when I called him on each of those. I'm sure its probably standard practice, but that just bothered me.

SneakyCracker fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

kalibar posted:

the latter group installed custom software from XDA that fixed it

Eh... not so much. I am running stock EC05 2.2 (although it IS rooted), and have no GPS issues. In fact, I use GPS for Google Navigation in the Samsung OEM car mount on an almost daily basis, and have not seen any problems. Now, I'm not doubting that there are a lot of people out there who DO have GPS issues with the Epic, but I think it more or less comes down to hardware batches or something. Some are good working units, others not so much.

That said, I've been considering going to a custom ROM, but have yet to really do any research on it. I was kinda waiting/hoping there would be a good, stable cyanogenmod for it, but I don't know if that will happen. Anybody got any good recommendations on ROMs?

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

td4guy posted:

Samsung products just keep getting better and better.

Why do you assume that Carrier IQ is only on Samsung devices?

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Agreed. I got burned pretty hard on the Moment, however I chalked it up to just being a lovely model of phone. I went through 3 of them in less than a year. Tha in mind I then went with the Epic thinking the Moment was just a fluke, as I wanted that hardware keyboard (the EVO Shift had not yet been announced). While the Epic has been a VAST improvement over the Moment, it still has its flaws. I dont feel that these flaws are nearly as massive as certain others in this thread continue to rail on about, but they ARE there. However, with EC05, I'm fairly happy with the phone's performance, but still planning on going with a custom ROM at some point (eagerly watching the CM7 port development).

All of that said, I'm still pretty sure that, barring some massive changes, this will likely be my last Samsung device. HTC just has too much going for it in the way of reputation, community support, etc to ignore. If Samsung can fix its issues with its reputation on software/drivers, I'll reconsider, as I DO love some of the hardware they produce. It's too bad their reputation with their phones is not what it is with their TVs, monitors, appliances, etc.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Chunk posted:

Argh I have the Moment and Im due for an upgrade in May. I cant decide if I should just go for the Nexus S or try and be really patient for the Evo3D whenever that comes out

Either way you choose to go, be prepared to have your mind absolutely loving blown. Coming from a Moment, and seeing what Android is actually supposed to be like... yeah.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Eyecannon posted:

Can someone please tell me the best strategy for using my Epic in Mexico? I basically want it to ONLY do wifi, if I turn off '4G' and '3G Data' then I should be good? Though I will probably still be able to get texts (which cost something fairly outrageous).

Maybe I should disable auto roaming and make it Sprint only as well?

I believe you can put the phone into airplane mode, and then just manually turn on wifi. My understanding is that this will allow the phone to leave the CDMA radio off but still operate on Wifi.

Fake Edit: Yup, just tried it on my Epic. Putting the phone into airplane mode disables everything, but then manually turning on wifi will leave the airplane mode icon in place, but give the wifi connection only.

Edit 2: Texting does not work in this mode, though.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is a great summery of what is wrong with Samsung phones and it should be in the OP and linked to every time someone says they are thinking about getting one.

This theory also would explain why other Samsung products, like their TVs, monitors, appliances, etc are all still generally considered the cream of the crop - those are products where they are not having to develop for a market that uses different technology. There is a good chance where the engineers may actually be using said products in this scenario.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Now, my question for any Epic owners here is about the best way to carry this beast. My past 3 phones have been the old Samsung A900 flip-phone, Blackberry Pearl, and the Palm Pre. All 3 relatively small and I've carried them all in a belt-clipped holster/pouch. I've seen the horizontal belt pouches for the Epic at the Sprint store and Best Buy, and they seem just too drat big to wear comfortably. However, even if I buy a nice rubberized case and good screen protector and carry it in my pocket it is going to both feel bulky and more likely to get the screen crushed when my clumsy rear end runs into the corner of the hallway or something.

I use the Samsung OEM leather holster, and its been a pretty good case. Not at all obtrusive.

Don't buy it from Sprint though, it can be had cheaper elsewhere. Like, Amazon for example.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

What soft of software updates are even expected at this point? As I understand it, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich are all fairly minor updates compared to the jump from Eclair to Froyo. To me it makes more sense to buy the phone with the better hardware & formfactor than one which promises future updates which have unknown and possibly minimal benefit.

My understanding is that you are correct about Froyo being a big upgrade from Eclair, and that Gingerbread is only a minor update from Froyo. However, Honeycomb is only a tablet version of the OS, and that Ice Cream Sandwich is going to be a fairly major update over Froyo/Gingerbread, as it will be incorporating some of the Honeycomb features into the phone version of the OS. Also, Ice Cream Sandwich will be the first OS in the Android lineup to start to try and combat the massive amount of fragmentation that is currently prevalent in the Android world.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

brc64 posted:

I'm still loving the hell out of my EVO, so I think I may just hold onto it until next year. If Sprint can keep up these high end phone launches, then I'll have something pretty awesome to look forward to next year and I won't have to deal with trying to get my Premier status upgrade restored. The EVO 3D looks nice, but I haven't been following it like I did the EVO 4G before it launched and I'm just not as excited about it overall.

This is pretty much my stance right now - I'm actually pretty happy with the performance on my Epic other than one or two very minor issues, and it would seem that Sprint and Samsung are on track for a "much better managed" release of Gingerbread for the phone - one that, by all accounts so far, seems to be doing amazing things for the Epic. So, yeah. If that comes out in a decent timeframe and improves things further, I will have a bit of faith restored and will hang on to the phone a bit longer.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

The Prime will most likely (according to rumor) be Samsung hardware but with software made by competent developers, and will likely have a higher resolution screen than the SGSII. The SGSII will be running Samsung software, so it will be updated slower than the Prime and be full of Touchwiz and carrier software.

If the above holds true (Samsung hardware, competent devs, crazy specs), then I want the Prime so bad it hurts.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Apologies if this was already posted and I missed it, but apparently now Sprint is also dropping the ability to purchase a new device and have it added to your next month's bill.

http://phandroid.com/2011/09/28/sprints-season-of-change-to-cancel-bill-to-account-option-for-customers/

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

OK, decision time. I am sitting on an upgrade credit, and I am ready to replace my "rebooting by itself 10x times a day" Epic before I throw it at the wall. Having come from a Moment previous to the Epic, I am more than a bit leery of the SGS2E4GT (as beautiful of a phone as it is), and the EVO 3D has been out since June already. Since my upgrade credits will no longer be yearly after this (currently a 10+ year premier member), I want to be sure I get something that I am going to be OK with for the next 2 years.

My question is this - should I go with the EVO 3D (given that I can get it for $99 via Amazon right now), or should I hold out a bit longer in the hopes that something better is on the horizon? I was really hoping to hear of some news of the Nexus Prime or some variant of it coming to Sprint before the end of the year, but that seems like a long shot right now. I honestly cant take any more reboots in the middle of phone calls.

Also, I have no interest in the iPhone.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Yeah, I am running EH17 in my epic, but I only went to that because EC05 was running like crap for me as well. I DO use GPS on my phone, quite a lot. What caught my attention in this case is the fact that Amazon has the EVO 3D for $99 right now - I assume that's a limited time deal, and that it won't be around in a week or whatever. Anybody have any clarification on that?

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

The nexus gets announced tomorrow, at least wait until tomorrow night.

You should consistently be able to find someone who will sell the 3D for $99. Hell, my sprint store sells it for $149 without batting an eye.

Tomorrow? drat, I thought the announcement was a bit further out than that. I know Verizon has pretty well got a lock on the Nexus in some way, but drat do I hope that Sprint is in line for something as well...

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Well then. I hope like hell the Galaxy Nexus is coming to Sprint, as thats one hell of a beautiful device... both hardware and software-wise.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

It'll be interesting to see what Sprint considers "Early 2012" -

http://community.sprint.com/baw/com...20110407HTC-ICS

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

This is fantastic:

network.sprint.com

Track what sprint is doing network wise in your area.

This is the best thing. Not only did I learn that all the towers in my podunk little area are getting upgrades, but I just learned that there is a tower 4 blocks from my house.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

atomicvocabulary posted:

3G and EVDO stuff

Uh. EVDO = 3G on Sprint. CDMA is the underlying technology the whole shebang runs on. I think you've got your terms confused here - you're thinking of the difference between 1xRTT (2G) and EVDO (3G).

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

I got a push on my phone (Epic 4G) that I could download Android 2.3.5. I go to settings, Update Android, but it says I'm up to date. Is there something else I need to do?

EDIT: Ok got the update installed. Really digging the new update!

As am I. Following the update, the Epic seems to be noticeably snappier. Only source of annoyance thusfar is that Samsung, in all of their infinite wisedom, felt it necessary to remove the excellent stock Gingerbread keyboard and replace it with their own. Thankfully though, the Gingerbread keyboard can be installed via the market.

Aside from that though, thus update is (so far) feeling like what the Epic should have right along.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Unfortunately the GPS is still hosed up, far worse actually than Froyo. It only locks on 1-2 satellites at a time and frequently crashes after 15 minutes of use or so.

This is inexcusable too since the problem is that they shipped a very old version of the GB GPS daemon (it's been the same since the early-May leak), whereas the Mesmerize and Sprint Tab GB updates that hit a few months ago both include a much never version that works really darn well. Good news is that if you're rooted and want a working GPS, this fix (the daemon pulled from the Mesmerize) works really well.

They also didn't fix the hardware keyboard driver they hosed up in the Froyo release despite community fixes being around forever. But if you haven't had a problem with the hardware keyboard so far, it's no worse in GB.

Although I am a fairly heavy user of GPS on my device, I hadnt tried it yet on GB. And yes, I am rooted, so thank you for this fix. I am going to go ahead and apply it now before even trying it without. As for the keyboard issue, I guess I never noticed it, as I rarely if ever use the hardware keyboard. Next phone will be without.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Cathis posted:

I just spent the last 3 days loving around with my Epic 4G, rooting it and installing several different superuser files... I am still not sure if I managed to fix my GPS. I am DEEPLY annoyed that it's so hosed up from a pushed Sprint/Samsung "upgrade". I am seriously tempted to take my boss up on her offer, cancel my Sprint contract and go with an Iphone paid for by work through AT&T.

I was annoyed to find out that the GPS was still broken as well following my Gingerbread update. That said, after rooting it and whatnot, applying that GPS fix that was posted just a bit earlier in the thread did wonders for my Epic - I can get a lock on 9 satellites while sitting inside my house now, in like 5 - 10 seconds... and almost instantly while outdoors. It's nuts.

I am now OK with the Epic again, for the time being. Honestly, I still want a new phone, but I really want to hold out for ICS native devices to start rolling out - Galaxy Prime or otherwise.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Alright. I've asked this in this thread before, but that was pre-Galaxy Nexus announcement from Google. At that point, I was told to wait a few weeks until we knew what was coming. Now that we all know what it is and that it is completely unknown as to whether or not it will come to Sprint, I'm going to re-ask my question.

Given that I can now get it for $50, would it be worth upgrading to an EVO 3D from an Epic? Now that the Epic has received 2.3.5 officially (and following rooting and applying the GPS fix and a few other minor things) the Epic runs decently well.

So, it is worth it? I mean, I will be with this phone a lot longer now that the Premier yearly upgrade will be going away for me. On one hand, well.. $50 is pretty drat good for what is a proven good phone, but I will have to wait and hope for a ICS upgrade. On the other hand, if I wait, I will be getting something newer that may run ICS native, but will likely be paying as much as 5x more.

Also a big consideration for me - does the EVO 3D have an official OEM vehicle mount? if not, is there a good 3rd party mount that will charge the phone while its mounted? I use my phone for GPS a lot in my work vehicle, so this is a pretty big point for me.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

gently caress it. I just pulled the trigger on the EVO 3D. The $50 pricetag was just too good to pass up. I know there will be new stuff coming in spring, but I also know those new devices will carry much higher pricetags along with them. In the end, I've got too much other poo poo to worry about financially right now to be able to buy a phone at $200 - $300, but $50 - I can swallow $50.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

WoG posted:

It's tempting me; I'm reminding myself that with the activation fee and tax, it's more like $100.

This is true. Tax + activation is actually about $40 in this case, but both of those things are going to be present no matter what phone you buy, so I figure adding them on top of $50 is still better than adding them on top of $250, you know?

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

After Christmas specials:

Evo 3D: $99
Shift: $50
View: $200

And best news of all: Sprint is the official sponsor of the NBA. I think we all can agree that the turning point for sprint is now.

I wish it could have been the NHL instead...

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Is there anything you don't bitch about in terms of phones? You seem impossible to make happy.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Thanks for the reply, but it turns out it was the cable I was using. I didn't think that could cause a problem (unless it is a bad cable.)

I've found this to be true of several different phones I've owned - any micro USB cable is fine for charging, but for actual data transfer the phones only seem to want to do so correctly with their own OEM cable. When I was screwing around with rooting and roms and whatnot on my Epic, I found that only the USB cable that came with the phone would allow the PC to see the phone.

Don't know why that is.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

:stare:

Now... Will we need different devices to take advantage of that, or will my EVO 3D (if I still have it at that point in time) be able to take advantage of such a thing?

Edit: not the LTE portion of the article, but the better 3G coverage at 800mhz I mean.

SneakyCracker fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 19, 2012

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

No random reboots or anything on my 3D either, I'm with the rest - mine is running amazingly well.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

With all of this sudden talk about scratches and screen protectors and whatnot, I figured I'd chip in with my recent experiences -

about a month and a half after getting my EVO 3D, I managed to get a decent scratch right in the upper-middle of the screen despite babying the thing. This made me quite paranoid. My quest for a screen protector that didn't look and feel like total poo poo began. After much searching and review reading, I settled on this -

The Boxwave ClearTouch Crystal

It is cut to fit extremely well, doesnt have that rubbery feel that takes away from the sense of touch on the screen, and is virtually invisible. I've seriously not seen a better screen protector.

So, together with a TPU case on my phone now, I am no longer as paranoid about damaging my EVO 3D.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Apparently, the earpiece speaker on my wife's EVO Shift has died. The only way she can make a phone call now and hear the other person is by using the speakerphone. Unfortunately, this phone does not have TEP on it. Anybody know what my options are here? If all else fails, I still have my old Epic I can re-activate for her, but I'd rather not do that as I am looking to sell it.

Is such a thing even repairable, or will the phone just have to be replaced?

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Good to know. Now, there is the little matter of the fact that the closest Sprint repair center is over an hour away from me... But I guess thats what I'll have to do. Thanks guys.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Starting this morning, my EVO 3D has been rebooting like crazy. Minutes ago, was the 20th reboot of the day. I've not installed anything new in the past week or so, so I have no idea what in the hell is causing this. Pulling the battery didn't help. Is there an way to figure out what may be causing this? I wish there was like a system event log or something.

This is a completely stock, un-rooted phone. Fully updated. Anybody else have anything like this happen on their EVO 3D?

Aaaand, it just rebooted again for #21 before I could even finish this post. What the hell.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

If wiping it doesn't fix it take it into a tech center.

I just went to one of those today, to get my wife's phone fixed. loving hour and a half drive each way.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

WoG posted:

You were at the service center, with a phone in your pocket you knew had been rebooting all day, and it didn't occur to you to say anything?

When I was at the service center, it had only rebooted a couple of times by that point. I wasn't alarmed yet.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

Whelp, a replacement EVO 3D is on its way to me after having talked with someone in tech support and him trying further resets on the phone (and having it reboot almost immediately after). Should be here tomorrow.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm in the market for a new phone. My EVO went facedown onto my driveway today and the screen shattered. It still works, kinda. Tough phone, but not useable long-term at all.

Out of Sprint's current phones, what's the best Android phone?

I'm sure this comes up all the time, but I didn't see any real discussion on this in the last couple pages, and the OP didn't go into much detail.

I hear some good about the Epic Touch, both in the OP and around the internet, but I'm leery of Samsung after some poor experiences with the original Epic.

What about something a little smaller?

I've got an Epic that I am looking to sell. As others have said, its got a pretty awesome CM9 port for it. I am asking $125, but included is the OEM vehicle navigation mount and car charger.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

nate fisher posted:

(I will never have I and never will I put a screen protector on a phone)

I used to be of this same frame of mind, until I found Boxwave screen protectors. Cant tell its even on the phone once its installed properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

I just got an Airave Airvana V2 from Sprint today. Got it all set up several hours ago, all lights on their proper statuses, etc... and my signal still sucks. Sure, when I am sitting at my computer right next to the thing I get a full 5 bars. If I move roughly 25 feet away, into the very next room, I get... 2 or 3 bars. If I make all the way to the front of my house, an extra 15 feet or so... 1 bar. Maybe.

What the gently caress?