Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

My Touch Pro 2 has this weird rainbow effect on the middle of the screen that you can only see when the screen is off. Would this be covered by TEP or would I have to pay $100 to get the screen replaced/fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

4G isn't really a big deal unless you plan on streaming HD videos all day or using your phone as a mobile hotspot.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Upside Potential posted:

Just got the HTC Arrive. I called the Sero number got setup with premium in 1 minute and off and running. Good bye Touch Pro 2 I will miss you... not

I have one too and I'm really digging it so far. I showed it to my co-worker for 2 minutes and now he's trying to get Sprint to swap out his Evo Shift for one.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

CharlesM posted:

I guess, I just want to know what people think about this. I got an HTC Titan as was recommended a long time ago but it was limited by the low RAM, then a HTC Touch Pro replacement as it was deemed superior to the Titan, but have had a lot of problems with it, especially the keyboard. Somebody said, oh the Touch Pro 2 will be better, it is not as rushed a design and blah blah blah, but I see people having trouble with that so I have become quite skeptical.

When I get back to the states I will probably buy an HTC Arrive, I am just prodding to see what people's feelings are on this.

I went from a Titan to TP1 to TP2 and now I have an Arrive. The phone is very solid and runs wonderfully. The UI is very smooth. There is no screen lag switching to landscape or texting which plagued all those old phones. I've never had any performance issues with the phone.

With that said Windows Phone is a completely new operating system so some of the things that Android or even Windows Mobile have are not yet on the Arrive. Most of them are minor though, like no custom mp3 ringtones, flash support or tethering. A large update is coming out and the end of the year though, which will add a lot of features.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Did anybody catch if there are new Windows Mobile handsets for Sprint coming?

No new phones were announced, but there are supposed to be a few new phones coming out this fall with the release of the Mango update, though the hardware specs won't be that much improved. There are rumors of a HTC Mazda coming to Sprint, which is basically a slightly bigger Arrive without a keyboard.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

CharlesM posted:

HTC Mazda? ?

I guess you can use your Sprint phone to buy things at the cash register or something (NFC payments), does anybody plan to use this?
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/24/google-and-sprint-team-up-to-take-your-digital-dollars-with-new/

Sorry, it's actually HTC Mazaa.

http://www.xda-developers.com/windows-mobile/xda-developers-exclusive-first-leaked-pics-of-htc-mazaa/

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

It's crazy how the general tone of this thread has changed in the past 6 months. Sprint announced the Evo Shift and Echo, while everyone else was announcing all these high tech phones. Now we have the Nexus S 4G, Evo 3D, Atrix and most likely a few more for later this year.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Tatsujin posted:

Sprint literally calls me every day now. It must be because my contract is expiring. I am not really interested in reupping unless I can get a decent phone for cheap. Considering the Evo 3D is about to hit, think there will be a price drop soon on the Nexus S 4G?

Did they offer you a $75 credit to reup your contract? You can stack that with the normal phone subsidy discount.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

sonicice posted:

I wish they would offer that to me. I've been out of contract for close to three years now :(
I got it by asking once in e-chat.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Alman posted:

http://newsroom.sprint.com/press_kits.cfm?presskit_id=19

edit: and it shouldn't really have a big effect because they have their own spectrum anyway, plus the $2bil/yr will help pay for capacity enhancements

I'm confused, wont they have to use sprint's spectrum if they're using Sprint's network? The Engadget article says it's for LTE, so will they be using 800Mhz?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

td4guy posted:

And here's how SERO 500 pricing works, since they messed with the data pricing back in January:

$30/mo SERO 500 - Dumbphones only. Yes, your old WinMo 6.x phone stays at this price point, but you're never ever(*) allowed to activate another WinMo 6.x phone without it being bumped up to:
$40/mo SERO Premium 500 - 3G smartphones. Yes, this includes WinMo 6.x.
$50/mo SERO Premium 500 - 4G smartphones. The $10 bump from $40 is automatically added when you activate a 4G phone.

(*) exception - TEP insurance replacement

Just wanted to point out that this is the correct info, since a lot of incorrect info was posted the last two pages. Currently 3G smarphones like the HTC Arrive, Optimus S, Moto XPRT, Echo, etc do not have the $10 data fee attached.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Didn't see this posted, but maybe I just missed it in the stream of Evo 3D chat.

3rd quarter roadmap was leaked with the Epic 2 (1.2ghz single core), Galaxy S II and a couple new Blackberry phones with .

http://thisismynext.com/2011/06/24/sprint-samsung-epic-2-galaxy-within-blackberry-bold-touch-monaco/

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

fknlo posted:

FYI, EPRP isn't eligible for this.

I got it on a SERO account 3 months ago asking once in chat after I asked to be upgraded to SERO Premium.

Agent: "Unfortunately, we are unable to provision the discount to your account as you are currently participating in the SERO Plan. This is already a highly discounted plan and no loyalty or company discount is compatible with this plan."
Me: "Oh okay, I understand"
Agent: "I noticed that you are Sprint long time customer and loyal. I consider your association with the Sprint so I can offer you $70 credit if you extend the contract for 2 years."

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

ceebee posted:

It's probably been asked before but I don't see it in the OP. Is iPhone 5 confirmed to come to Sprint and would it be super mega expensive to upgrade from my crappy Palm Centro on the SERO plan currently paying $30/month?

Assuming Sprint gets the iPhone and they allow it on SERO, you should be able to upgrade to SERO Premium and pay $40/month for it.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Blakkout posted:

A have a friend who works in marketing for Best Buy's mobile department. He claims that the big Sprint announcement this month is that the iPhone 5 is actually coming to the carriers this fall, Sprint included. He told me this in response to my assertion that Sprint was just about to announce the 4 coming to Sprint this fall, with the 5 to follow sometime this spring. Could be complete bullshit, but I thought it was worth sharing.

Someone posted a Radioshack inventory listing which had the iPhone 5 for Sprint, Verizon and AT&T.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/01/radio-shack-inventory-screen-pegs-iphone-5-for-sprint/

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

WoG posted:

So, anybody making odds on whether this 3g smartphone will qualify for $40 sero?

It should be allowed unless they change the policy again. You can get an ET or Evo3D so I don't see why not. You shouldn't have to pay the $10 data fee unless Sprint changes the SERO policy as currently only 4G smartphones require the data fee.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

ddogflex posted:

I doubt it between Sprint and Verizon, taking a Sprint one to AT&T or T-Mobile would be easy though.

Sprint and Verizon wont let you activate each others phones, but if Sprint went out of business (or was purchased by Verizon) I think they would take you.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

I just noticed that Sprint changed their exchange policy to 14 days (which sucks rear end). My girlfriend is interested in exchanging her Nexus S for an iPhone 4, but we're just outside 14 days now. I wonder if retentions can make something happen if I threaten to cancel both of my lines unless we can get it exchanged.

I could be wrong, but I think someone tried this a few pages back and they wouldn't budge. Don't forget Sprint's ETF is $350 now.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Blakkout posted:

Looks like they'll be carrying the old iPhone 4 for $99. I assume that's with a contract extension. Wonder how long I'll have to wait to get it for that price without an extension? That'll be a good little goal for me to set for myself, let's see if the TP1 lasts that long.

The iPhone 3G looks to be going for over $100 on eBay, so three years?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Because if I don't get the phone on day one my life will be over!

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

If they add 800mhz to CDMA would that work on current phones or new phones only? I don't get good coverage inside my office building and better building penetration might fix that.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

steimer posted:

Question about a plan upgrade: right now I'm on the cheap SERO plan with a TP2, and the plan expires in 5 months. At that time, I'd like to get an iPhone and change my plan to sero premium. What price will I pay for the phone?

$50 a month and the phone will cost whatever is advertised on the website.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Just want to make sure this is right.

If I sign up for a new EPRP plan can I port the number after I activate the phone?

Does Sprint still have super fast shipping? I'm sending the phone to my work and don't want it to come over the weekend.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

nickutz posted:

I've tried three times today to order an iphone 4S on the EPRP ordering website and each time when I click place order I get an error message saying: We are unable to process your request at this time due to technical difficulties.

Is their system just overwhelmed? I don't want to order in store because obviously I want the EPRP plan.
I just ordered one on a new line through EPRP for my girlfriend 5 minutes ago.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Maybe it's a bug and the iPhone is doing 1x data only?

This is what it sounds like. People are reporting .1-.2Mbps with an iPhone and 1Mbps with other phones.

Though I usually get .1-.4Mbps in Phoenix with 3G :(

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

So I got an iPhone 4S this weekend, and the data speeds and coverage seem...lackluster at best in my area (~.9 Mb/sec or less). If I were to return it, would my contract term return to what it was at before I upgraded? It might be worth jumping ship to Verizon for the $80 ETF I had left.

Are your speeds slower than your previous phone? Some people are complaining about the iPhone being slower than android phones which is more than likely a bug that will be fixed.

Also to the guy asking about upgrading to the $99 Evo 3D on Amazon, usually those deals are for new customers only.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Drevoak posted:

It seems like everyone elses plans are expensive compared to Sprint. I've contemplated switching to get different phones but pay 30+ more a month and not even getting unlimited data sounds so ridiculous to me.

Exactly. If Sprint's network was just as good as AT&T they would be charging the same. I'll gladly pay $30 less to have my websites load in 5 seconds instead of 2 seconds and have unlimited data.

Sprint in Phoenix is pretty terrible but I haven't had any issues with Siri timing out.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Wimax has nothing to do with building penetration. Sprint runs Wimax on 2500Mhz frequency which is why it's poor. Higher frequencies have worse building penetration.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Ender.uNF posted:

The final talley:

850mhz - 1X Advanced voice + 3G EVDO rev B
1900mhz - LTE/LTE Advanced
1600mhz - Lightsquared LTE. (pending FCC approval)
2500mhz - when Clearwire goes bankrupt, WiMax shutdown and used for LTE

Verizon and ATT got spectrum in the recent 700mhz auctions but I don't know off hand what their other frequency assignments are. The thing about these blocks is they are nationwide bands so it makes things 10x easier than regional bands like the 2500mhz stuff.

3G is currently on 1900mhz right? So when they eventually add 3G to 800mhz will it work on current phones or only new phones that support EVDO rev B?

What are the chances the first LTE phones will be LTE advanced compatible? If LTE advanced does come out a year after LTE it might be worth passing on the first LTE phone if it doesn't support it.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

GEMorris posted:

Ok, I am completely tired of my touchpro2, I love my sero premium premium plan, but I don't want to pay the 4g tax. Is there any issues with getting the iPhone on sero premium? Should I get AppleCare? Has sprint made any changes recently that should make me reconsider signing a new contract (I have been out of contract for quite some time now)?

Sorry if this has been answered, I tried to sift through the last 5 pages or so and didn't see anything that specifically answered this stuff.

If you don't want to pay the "4G tax", the Arrive is a solid phone and has an awesome keyboard like the TP2.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

If I want EPRP, do I need to get it while I apply for a new plan, or can I get the discount after already getting a plan? Is this something I can do at a Sprint store, or would they find it odd that I didn't purchase the plan through the person who gave the eployee referral?

You have to sign up online through the EPRP website to get the discount. If you sign up for a regular plan they probably wont let you switch.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

SneakyCracker posted:

This is the best thing. Not only did I learn that all the towers in my podunk little area are getting upgrades, but I just learned that there is a tower 4 blocks from my house.
There is one about .4 miles from my house but I only get 2 bars? :confused:

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

I'm fairly ignorant of cell phones so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there a site that tells me the quality of a carrier's signal in a particular area? I'm thinking of switching from Verizon to Sprint but wanted to ensure a quality signal in my two primary areas, Manhattan and Eastern NC.

Per the OP Sprint roams on Verizon's network so I should be fine, I think. Then again I've heard horror stories regarding Sprint's connection in Manhattan. v :) v

You can roam on Verizon, but if you do it too much Sprint will get rid of you. You want to make sure your house/work have decent coverage as you don't want to be using roaming for the majority of your use.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

CharlesM posted:

The Arrive and Windows Phone really are nothing like the old phones. I understand if your experience is really soured though. I upgraded from a Touch Pro myself and love the Arrive. I've had it for two weeks now, so I've found enough that I'd like to have done differently, but I think any phone will be like that. Anyway, if you still don't want to try it, what is wrong with the LG Marquee? The hero is old and slow and people seem to complain about it all the time.

Seconded. I had a Touch Pro and later a TP2. The Arrive is pretty awesome and works perfectly for me.

Whatever you do don't get a Hero. It's basically a Touch Pro 2 running android and isn't much better.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

While I'm excited Sprint announced the first LTE cities, I'm disappointed they're releasing it in Wimax markets instead of targeting places that were skipped the first time around. Phoenix is the 6th largest city and Verizon and AT&T have LTE here now :sigh:

moolchaba posted:

Eat it, Verizon.

Assuming Sprint gets it in June, the phone will be six months old. I doubt anyone on Verizon would care that you waited 6 months for an extra 300 Mhz. Most likely the Evo 3 and SGS3 will be out around then too.

brc64 posted:

Also, since it's been a while since we talked about it, what do we know about Sprint LTE? More specifically, do we know what frequency it's going to use? Will I have 4G service that I can actually use indoors?
I think it's supposed to be some combination of 2500/1900/800, so building penetration will be better than Wimax.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Holy crap I actually saw someone with an Echo last night. She had the phone in tablet mode and was showing someone a picture. At first I thought she was comparing two phones side by side.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Did anybody else's credit card(s) disappear from the Sprint bill pay page? Do they purge them at the end of the year or what?

Nope, i just paid my bill online yesterday.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

My mom has a BB style that she purchased December 2010 on SERO. Would she qualify for that early buy out program? She doesn't like her phone and refuses to buy a used phone until her contract is up

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I thought HTC was only releasing 3 different phones instead of 50? So wouldn't this just be the One X/S/V with a CDMA radio? Or are the phones going to be named differently still?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Ender.uNF posted:

It certainly does. I'm a premium member over at s4gru.com and the dude who runs the site keeps posting updated maps of live towers and you can see the progress being made. He has contacts inside sprint and the vendors (apparently). The new towers have radio units on the tower behind the antenna so they have 20% better signal generally, sometimes way more so in areas near the live towers the indoor signal is better too.

There is a lot of good info about NV on that site. There should be 14 markets live in May and 27 more either this summer or winter. It looks like Phoenix wont be active until winter or early 2013 in phase 2.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

traslin posted:

So is there a good chance that 4G LTE service will be activated on 5/18 when the HTC EVO 4G LTE and the Tri-fi Hotspot are released? Releasing the Gnex as a 4G LTE phone with no LTE service seemed a little strange, but it doesn't seem like Sprint should continue to release additional LTE products without LTE service.

LTE should turn on this month but only if you live in one of the phase 1 cities and are near one of the few completed towers in those cities.